Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Bonus posted:

It's also not very adherent to the color pie, is it? Not too sure about that, but I think black doesn't get sweepers like that, which is why Damnation was in planar chaos

Damnation was in Planar Chaos because it's literally a black version of Wrath of God. Black gets board sweepers normally, but MaRo said in a recent podcast that they don't want to put black and white sweepers in the same block. Fated Retribution is a white one in Born of the Gods. Drown in Sorrow is most likely the best board sweeper black is getting until the next block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did that rumor of Voice, Emmara, and Advent of the Wurm doing rarity/rules text musical chairs ever get confirmed?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

Did that rumor of Voice, Emmara, and Advent of the Wurm doing rarity/rules text musical chairs ever get confirmed?

It was on the mothership.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

Emmara Tandris originally was basically Voice, a 2/2 for WG the the same elemental abilities. But it was Mythic and the other guild champions were rare. They wanted them all at the same rarity, so they made a new rare Selesnya Champion and made the old one Voice. That's what Maro said.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Is it just me or is Selesnya in a completely terrible place right now? I've been a fervent player of the deck but it's been in a bad place for a long time, and it just keeps getting worse. R/G Monsters now has a turn 2 play that completely stops everything the deck can do until turn 4. Mono-blue and Black have always been bad match-ups, and though it's always been a really resilient deck against control, it feels more and more like you have to draw perfectly to even stand a chance.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Entropic posted:

Oh how I wish Emmara was a 2WG 3/4 or something instead of a 5WG 5/7.
She could have possibly been playable in a token heavy archtype from last season, even as just a doom blade sponge it gives them some range.

C-Euro posted:

The voice + emmara + actual vor token got confirmed a bit after Dragon's Maze came out.

quote:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/48288088338/i-would-just-like-to-say-that-im-very-happy-that-you

So here’s what happened. Originally, some of the maze runners (aka guild champions) were rare and some were mythic rare. They couldn’t all be mythic rare because we only had nine mythic rare slots. Ral Zarek, a planeswalker, had already taken up the tenth slot. (Planeswalkers for complexity and specialness reasons need to be mythic rare.)

We talked about Ral just being the Izzet representative but decided that for numerous purposes (Commander being one of the biggest) we wanted a blue/red legendary creature and thus an Izzet maze runner.

It was decided well into development that the maze runners should all be the same rarity which meant they had to be rare as mythic rare wasn’t possible. This resulted in us making some changes to turn the mythic rare maze runners into rare maze runners.

One of those swaps was Voice of Resurgence with Emmara. As many have guessed, Emmara originally made the */* token (seen in the background of her art). It wasn’t a straight swap and there was lots of massaging of both cards. That is what happened.
I have a theory this also happened with Karametra. Just looking at Karametra compared to the other minor gods, examining the "when a creature comes into play, grab a land" part of the text. I'm convinced they also did another last minute change and it hosed everything up. Not quite sure what GW-ish creature/enchantment it got switched for, maybe for the JOU GW rare? Could Courser have had Karametra's rule text? Maybe someone else can solve it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

She could have possibly been playable in a token heavy archtype from last season, even as just a doom blade sponge it gives them some range.
The voice + emmara + actual vor token got confirmed a bit after Dragon's Maze came out.
I have a theory this also happened with Karametra. Just looking at Karametra compared to the other minor gods, examining the "when a creature comes into play, grab a land" part of the text. I'm convinced they also did another last minute change and it hosed everything up. Not quite sure what GW-ish creature/enchantment it got switched for, maybe for the JOU GW rare? Could Courser have had Karametra's rule text? Maybe someone else can solve it.

Courser having Karametra's Ruletext would've also been busted, and Karametra would've probably saw more play if it had Courser's text.

So, you're probably right.

Check out this 3 drop, when I play another creature, I grab another land from my deck and slam it in!

I'm dropping Xenagod on Turn 4 and then grabbing more lands!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So what happened with Fanatic of Xenagos? Nearly everyone was thinking it was a good aggressive creature for RG/x Monsters to keep the pressure on and it seems to have been quickly replaced with Courser.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Korak posted:

I seriously doubt that. Swapping card's rarities that late in development is extremely rare. Karametra was always going to be a mythic god. Sometimes a card is just underpowered.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

So what happened with Fanatic of Xenagos? Nearly everyone was thinking it was a good aggressive creature for RG/x Monsters to keep the pressure on and it seems to have been quickly replaced with Courser.

Turns out a 3/3 that dies to Bile Blight and Lightning Strike doesn't work out as well as a 2/4 that helps smooth out your non-land draws.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Korak posted:

Courser lets you ignore half of a shockland's downside, gives you +1 card in hand effectively, and doesn't die to a Lightning Strike/Bile Blight/Anger of the Gods the turn afterwards.

Basically, RG/x wants to ramp into Stormbreath what the hell am I saying I mean PLAY XENAGOS (or Polukranos I guess) by t4 rather than drop a good but not amazing beater on t3. 1RG isn't hard to support, but neither is 1GG, and the Courser makes supporting 3RR, 2GG and monstrous abilities that much easier.

R/G is very vulnerable to getting cut short on land and Courser of Cruphix is pretty good at fixing that, in short.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 19, 2014

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Courser also improves the functionality of Scry Lands when it's on the field, as you now have full information of your next draw regardless of whether you scry something to the top or bottom.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AegisP posted:

Courser also improves the functionality of Scry Lands when it's on the field, as you now have full information of your next draw regardless of whether you scry something to the top or bottom.

Similarly, Domri's never really upset to see him.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

I seriously doubt that. Swapping card's rarities that late in development is extremely rare. Karametra was always going to be a mythic god. Sometimes a card is just underpowered.

For the hell of it, I made a Karametra landfall EDH deck, and it's rather durdly fun. Sometimes cards are just made to be weird and different so people make stupid poo poo built around them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

legoman727 posted:

Is it just me or is Selesnya in a completely terrible place right now? I've been a fervent player of the deck but it's been in a bad place for a long time, and it just keeps getting worse. R/G Monsters now has a turn 2 play that completely stops everything the deck can do until turn 4. Mono-blue and Black have always been bad match-ups, and though it's always been a really resilient deck against control, it feels more and more like you have to draw perfectly to even stand a chance.

G/W does have a few things going for it.

- By far the best anti-artifact/enchantment suite. If you're populate-heavy, Sundering Growth is incredible; if you'd rather hit gods, you have instant-speed Unravel into Aether or sorcery-speed Revoke Existence.

- As you said, the best answer to control in Voice. Unfortunately, this is reliant on a $40 mythic which you really need a playset of. :saddowns:

- Eidolon of Countless Battles. This guy is absurd in Selesnya aggro. You need either Unflinching Courage or a natural trampler to be really scary, but ECB will get massive, stay massive, and you have Gods Willing along with Rootborn Defenses to protect it. :getin:

- Ajani, especially in combination with ECB. Why yes I would love to make my 8/8 with trample and lifelink an evasive double striker.

- Selesnya Charm. Enough said.

Post-Theros Selesnya aggro, in my opinion, is much heavier on white than green. Most of your best 3-drops are 1WW, then your 4 drops tend to be where you have (2)GG (like Advent and Polukranos). If your curve is above 4, reconsider your choice of cards - Armada Wurm doesn't cut it when the enemy played a Stormbreath the turn before, and I'd rather have the mana for a Selesnya Charm + Advent anyway.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

For the hell of it, I made a Karametra landfall EDH deck, and it's rather durdly fun. Sometimes cards are just made to be weird and different so people make stupid poo poo built around them.

The guy who plays Karametra in my EDH group has a pretty good landfall deck with her going on. It's always slow to start, but once it starts rolling, the sheer inertia of the deck is hard to stop, control or otherwise. She does a good job at thinning the deck, getting you more mana, and generally allowing you to grab more dudes by virtue of how fast she's thinning it out.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Promoted Pawn posted:

Damnation was in Planar Chaos because it's literally a black version of Wrath of God. Black gets board sweepers normally, but MaRo said in a recent podcast that they don't want to put black and white sweepers in the same block. Fated Retribution is a white one in Born of the Gods. Drown in Sorrow is most likely the best board sweeper black is getting until the next block.

Just a reminder to everyone jonesing for a Damnation reprint that this years FtV is Annihilation.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

BXCX posted:

Just a reminder to everyone jonesing to be one of the lucky 3 that can pay their LGS $100 that this years FtV is Annihilation.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to say that FtV will put a Damnation in the pocket of every manchild, just that it seems like they'd be way more willing to slot it in something called Annihilation instead of reprinting it in Standard when there's a lot going against having it there. If it's ever back in standard it seems like they'd go for a Day of Judgement style printing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alright, who bought up the wastelands from tcg? They are now hilariously at $140.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

^^^ EDIT: Talking about Damnation here, but drat that sucks. Glad I got mine at like $60 or so.

Look at what happened to the price of the original printings of Venser, Shaper Savant or Maze of Ith after their respective FtV inclusions. It's not unreasonable to say that if Damnation isn't the chase card in those boxes, then the sudden infusion of supply could drive the price down substantially.

EDIT EDIT: Oh, what the hell, let's just assume FtV: Annihilation includes Wasteland. :getin:

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 19, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Talking of FTV, what should I do with my FTV20? JactTMS has now dropped pretty hard, any chance of it climbing back up? And should I part it out or keep it sealed and not bother with that?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

LordSaturn posted:

EDIT EDIT: Oh, what the hell, let's just assume FtV: Annihilation includes Wasteland. :getin:

This would be amazing but isn't Wasteland on the reserve list?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Nope.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Things not on the reserve list:

Wasteland
Force of Will
Mana Drain

Things on the reserve list:
Beast Walkers

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Wasteland
Force of Will
Mana Drain

Beast Walkers

Stupid reserve list, how am I supposed to get a playset of Beast Walkers for my legacy deck at any sort of reasonable price?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Tharizdun posted:

Wasteland
Force of Will
Mana Drain

Beast Walkers

lol

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Thunder Spirit is also on the Reserved List oddly enough.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fox of Stone posted:

Alright, who bought up the wastelands from tcg? They are now hilariously at $140.

Jesus Christ. It's almost as if god doesn't want me to make legacy goblins. But I'm already 3 wasteland and a rishadan port deep, I can't stop now!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ScarletBrother posted:

Thunder Spirit is also on the Reserved List oddly enough.

What's worse is the Reserved List's ban on functional reprints means we'll never get a 1WW 2/2 with Flying and First Strike. Those would be sweet to draft :argh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's worse is the Reserved List's ban on functional reprints means we'll never get a 1WW 2/2 with Flying and First Strike. Those would be sweet to draft :argh:

:confuoot:

http://magiccards.info/10e/en/43.html

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mezzanon posted:

Jesus Christ. It's almost as if god doesn't want me to make legacy goblins. But I'm already 3 wasteland and a rishadan port deep, I can't stop now!

Trade them in for a good deck like miracles. :getin: Or force of wills really. Sell them and buy up force of wills and keep the hoarding cycle going until they reach bitcoin levels of awesome.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Wasteland
Force of Will
Mana Drain

Beast Walkers

I always love cards with banding because when I look them up I get to laugh at how long the reminder text is.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Does SCG have editors for its content? Like, good ones? From this article:

quote:

What is possibly more significant about this deck is how it fairs against the popular removal in the format right now.

I'm pretty sure the emphasized isn't a pun. I suppose magic writing isn't known for being grammatically accurate but still.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fox of Stone posted:

Trade them in for a good deck like miracles. :getin: Or force of wills really. Sell them and buy up force of wills and keep the hoarding cycle going until they reach bitcoin levels of awesome.

I already have a playset of force of will. They're in my simic infect deck along with my invigorates, berserks, brainstorms, stifles, etc :getin:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veyrall posted:

Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

No. Waterfront Bouncer and Mageta the Lion were both playable.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Veyrall posted:

Jaya Ballard is a 1-of in Legacy Painter decks!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Veyrall posted:

I ran a Grixis control for the Game Center Championships in Seattle, way back in the day (Masques was legal). Squee with Bouncer was solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
My trip report for Tuesday night draft at a new store. I am not crazy hardcore anymore, and love to draft so crossed the boundary of FLGS and went to the “new” store across town. 15 dollar buy in, everyone gets at least 1 pack, and top 4 get to split a box, I thought this was a very nice deal. I showed up a bit early and there were about 10 guys ages 20-40 dinking around trading and playing some EDH. I looked over the shoulder and saw a guy playing with nothing but signed duals, beta strip mines, and foreign foils. Guy across from his was playing some sort of artifact deck and he had a pair of moxes on the table. I about ran out of the store in terror.

Store was nice and clean, people were very friendly, talked to the guy running the event a bit about the vibe of the store. Turns out everyone is pretty laid back, and the fact that I still am horrible with the stack and have to read half the cards wasn’t going to be an issue. We split into 2 pods of 6, one doing Gods-Gods-Theros the other doing Theros-Theros-Gods. I joined the second group and the most hated player in town gets sat next to me and gets all buddy buddy. He makes comments on how baller his pool is and announces about halfway through that I am drafting red black minotaurs again and that I should know better from last time we drafted against each other.

Match one I get rolled by super-fast green creatures and the guy is real cool about it. Game two I curve out fast and run him over. Game three is crazy close and he sends over a monstrous Nessian Asp but I chump block it and use a Necrobite to kill it off. He drops a Nemesis of Mortals for 2 and hits it with monstrous for 3 more, I top deck a Portent of Betrayal steal the Nemesis, slap on a Fleetfeather Sandals and fly over for the win. He was not impressed.

Match two is with a guy that everyone I know hates, like seriously hates. He is pretty much everything you hoped you weren’t in high school. Tall, skinny, awkward as all get out, talks constantly, gets pissy about every single thing you can think of in a MTG match, never draws the perfect card when he needs it, plays 3 color good stuff then bitches that he can’t pull the 3rd white to totally win the game. I roll him over fairly easily, after second game he complains I am using marked cards since I am using the stores basic lands with no sleeves, store owner tells him to stop being a bad sport. I pull out any possible lands that might be considered marked and feel like a cheater.

Match three is against another 2-0 from my pod who is playing mono green ramp, turns out this was the guy who had more money on the table playing EDH then what I use to pay my mortgage monthly, and is the store owner. Guy is real nice, catches me in a few misplays, lets me take the worst ones back, and he still whoops me bad game 1. Game two he doesn’t pull a third land for like 6 turns but manages to keep the game very close, it drags out till we both are down to like 12 cards in our library and I squeak out a win with an enchanted Blood-Toll harpy from hell.

At this point we are the last ones playing and people are hanging out making me nervous because I hate having people watch me playing wizard’s poker. Game three is a basic creature beat down fest with both our graveyards full of dead chumps. Turn 11 he drops a Colossus of Akros, I hold the line praying for some crazy top deck and build up my blockers. Turn 14 it goes monstrous, and he sends over a 20/20 indestructible trampler at my 4 life. I block with a pair of 5/3 minotaurs and pull a Cutthroat maneuver gaining 12 life, but still eating 12 trample damage I break even at 4 life. Store owner laughs and says, “if you pull this win out you get my prizes to”, I look at my 1 land hand and his 18 life and think he is not going to have to cover that bet. Draw a roll the bones, I do, land and junk, I dump and draw 2, Portent of Betrayal and Tymaret, the Murder King. I reveal my 3 cards, he looks at them for a minute, scoops and laughs the whole time while he assigns prizes.

Walked away with 12 Theros packs, and a new place to draft at on Tuesday nights, a good way to spend 4 hours.

TLDR: My wife doesn’t want to be woken up after a MTG tournament to be told all about it, so you have to read this wall of text.

• Locked thread