Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no! Let's all be afraid of the huge and powerful Russia!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Jeez conservative cartoonists/commentators, why don't you marry Putin.

It is really amusing to me that they have basically fallen for his macho toughguy posturing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
New MacKay:

Or, if you want, have it in a larger but for some reason weirdly darker format. http://i.imgur.com/TqeNHZm.jpg

The story behind this one is that Stephen Harper, the Canadian Prime Minister, is talking as much of a fighting game as any world leader over Crimea, despite us having no power or influence and actually a lot of incentive not to antagonize Russia because of conflicts over the Arctic. It's basically just because there's a sizable Ukrainian-Canadian demographic whose votes he wants to attract.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Monkey Fracas posted:

It is really amusing to me that they have basically fallen for his macho toughguy posturing.

Putin and Obama are both Communist thugs, but Putin is white.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Dr Christmas posted:

Putin and Obama are both Communist thugs, but Putin is white.

:aaaaa: You've cracked the code.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Stupid people, when referring to Russia, are going to keep doing the backwards 'R' thing forever, aren't they.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Slate Action posted:

Stupid people are going to keep doing the backwards 'R' thing when referring to Russia forever, aren't they.

It's going to continue even after Russian abandons Cyrillic, it's kind of like how cartoonists are incapable of drawing Egypt without drawing either a pyramid, mummy, or sphinx.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Putin wearing a suit? Now that's a novel idea.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Paladinus posted:

Putin wearing a suit? Now that's a novel idea.

Glenn McCoy drawing a reasonable caricature of Obama? Now that's a novel idea.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smilingfish posted:

Glenn McCoy drawing a reasonable caricature of Obama? Now that's a novel idea.

Oh poo poo, you're right! Think this may be the first one I've seen him do where he didn't draw Obama as some kinda weird hyperexaggerated pear-shaped baby.

Also that Putin caricature looks kinda Nixon-esque to me for some reason. Might be the nose.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's amazing how clearly you can see the absolute glee these cartoonists have for the possibility with a standoff with Russia. Lester's probably watching the original Red Dawn over and over.

Super Saiyan Mr. T
Nov 7, 2009

I pity the FOOOOOOOOL!

Monkey Fracas posted:

The entire Putin worship just further shows how, for all their claims of loving freedom and liberty, deep down conservatives are really all about some authoritarianism. It just needs to be the right kind (IE oppressing the "right kind" of people like gays and women).

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
What is he supposed to do? Attack them? Nuke them?

Didn't these same people call the President a warmonger when he threatened Syria?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's supposed to cow Putin with an iron gaze and American resolve.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
He could try being a white Republican, that might help.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bender posted:

Didn't these same people call the President a warmonger when he threatened Syria?

Let me quote from the freeper thread for you:

quote:

Chances are bozo may be doing the correct thing for once.
0bastard (ie. his handlers) can never do anything right. Not possible. Their mission is to destroy the US.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Bender posted:

People keep asking this question, but the answer is literally there is nothing he can do that will make them happy. If he fights, he's a warmonger and a tyrant. If he's appeases Putin or uses sanctions, he's weak. Hell, if he resigned and let <Right-Wing Dream Candidate> take the presidency somehow, they'd call him a failure and a quitter.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Bender posted:

A part of me thinks if we actually did at least one of them would draw a cartoon implying "Well I guess he DOES have some balls!"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right! Think this may be the first one I've seen him do where he didn't draw Obama as some kinda weird hyperexaggerated pear-shaped baby.

Also that Putin caricature looks kinda Nixon-esque to me for some reason. Might be the nose.

It's partially the big nose but it's also how high up his shoulders are. Nixon is usually drawn with his shoulders on about the level of his ears, whereas most people the shoulders are level with around the chin or mouth. I think it's a cross between his most famous pose of doing the victory sign with both hands making the shoulders of his suit rise to being level with his ears and it just it looking shady to be hunched over like that.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Nobody destroys America…BUT ME!

*o-bastard uses his rage and burning spirit to overcome pooty-poot's ki blasts and save the leaf village*

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

So which right wing radio show host was talking about Beyonce recently?

Gary McCoy, arbiter of classiness, ladies and gentlemen.

Super Saiyan Mr. T
Nov 7, 2009

I pity the FOOOOOOOOL!

D.N. Nation posted:

I always forget about that one. Holy poo poo it's still just as terrible as the first time you see it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

D.N. Nation posted:

I never noticed this before but what's up with all the empty space on the right-hand side of the cartoon? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to put those horrible, horrible gays in the centre?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It seems like its there to accommodate that picture of flowers, does that somehow reinforce their gayness?

Also sometimes it seems to me like their belief that gay is learned is a double edged sword; if they believed the gay population was fixed instead, they wouldn't be worrying about them ending human reproduction.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Ever since it was pointed out, all I can see in this comic is the dick lamp.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

D.N. Nation posted:

As idiotic as this is, it's actually a pretty decent joke by McCoy's standards.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

As idiotic as this is, it's actually a pretty decent joke by McCoy's standards.

Also it is not the joke he intended to make but I like how he accidentally points out that gay marriage won't magically make everyone gay.

KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why is this duck always saying "in other news" and holding paper as if he's an anchor? Because nothing else about these cartoons suggests he's supposed actually to be a journalist of any stripe. I bet this feathered fucker doesn't even have a real job. He's just poultry in a tacky suit making stupid jokes, alone, and for no reason.

One of the old Mallard Fillmore plots had him getting hired to be a news anchor because of affirmative action:

There was a more recent plot where he was fired because of the recession, I think a few years ago? I don't know if was ever resolved or if Tinsley just ignored it after a while. There's actually supposed to be a cast of reoccurring characters, but they're generally ignored in favor of "duck in endless white void".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Randler posted:

I never noticed this before but what's up with all the empty space on the right-hand side of the cartoon? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to put those horrible, horrible gays in the centre?

Rule of thirds brah

So

Has Obamazilla/Libzilla been a thing before, or has it just come up twice in the past week?
I kind of like it. It's so hyperbolic (he's going to trample our cities and wreak widespread physical calamity!!), it shows some of the criticisms for the absurd, hyperbolic poo poo they are.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

D.N. Nation posted:

"prefrences"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

alnilam posted:

Rule of thirds brah

So

Has Obamazilla/Libzilla been a thing before, or has it just come up twice in the past week?
I kind of like it. It's so hyperbolic (he's going to trample our cities and wreak widespread physical calamity!!), it shows some of the criticisms for the absurd, hyperbolic poo poo they are.

It's from a State of the Union response where the ACA was called an "Inequality Godzilla".

Someone got a great avatar out of it, too:

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also it is not the joke he intended to make but I like how he accidentally points out that gay marriage won't magically make everyone gay.

I dunno, I think it may actually be the joke he meant to make.
Nobody is really stupid enough to think 'since gays can't have children this whole thing will be gone in a generation!' even if it's clear that he does mean to make the couple the butt of the joke somehow.

Maybe it's some sort of fear-mongering about gay adoption if you really want to make it a stretch.

But I honestly think some of the artists in this thread really just play to a base because there's money in it - I think the vast majority of people who still buy the paper are of a certain demographic, and that they swing conservative, so they need to really lean into the right side of things to keep selling their cartoons. Political cartooning is a dying career and any misstep they make could lead to the tidal wave of complaints that sees the paper toss them rather than risk losing a couple dozen more subs.

I doubt most of them are, in real life, the complete shitheads they come across as.
Except for Ted Rall. gently caress Rall.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The Crotch posted:

It's from a State of the Union response where the ACA was called an "Inequality Godzilla".

Someone got a great avatar out of it, too:

Both of them may have something to do with the fact that there is another Godzilla remake coming out this summer.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Still had to give him purple lips.

Obama is weak and ineffectual, but he controls the IRS, which is horrifying because, um... TAXES!!

But what do the chains and bolt cutters represent?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

Both of them may have something to do with the fact that there is another Godzilla remake coming out this summer.

Still had to give him purple lips.

Obama is weak and ineffectual, but he controls the IRS, which is horrifying because, um... TAXES!!

I love the IRSglove. It's so bad.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Internet Webguy posted:

But what do the chains and bolt cutters represent?

That it was stolen.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Pfft chaining just your front wheel? Crimea was clearly asking for it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorStrangelove posted:

That it was stolen.

Curse your inscrutable cartoons, Bennett! :argh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So these people think economic sanctions are weak?

Do these people literally not understand how the cold war ended? Russia's economy is poo poo so gently caress this we are out?

Super Saiyan Mr. T
Nov 7, 2009

I pity the FOOOOOOOOL!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It seems like its there to accommodate that picture of flowers, does that somehow reinforce their gayness?

Also sometimes it seems to me like their belief that gay is learned is a double edged sword; if they believed the gay population was fixed instead, they wouldn't be worrying about them ending human reproduction.

But believing its a choice is central to defending their bigotry. If it's a choice then they're totally okay with discriminating and being able to justify it by saying "But they're just a bunch of perverts!" Whereas if it's inborn, they have a harder time defending it (but only slightly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ratbert90 posted:

Do these people literally not understand how the cold war ended?

Reagan said to Stalin "Mr Gorbachev tear down this wall" and then he shot Kremlin with space lasers, duh.

• Locked thread