Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePenIsMightier
Dec 21, 2009
Votes:

A. We can't spend until we have some money to spend again. What do you think this is, the US government?
C. This seems like a good deal for both teams. They get free temporary talent, we get match hardened players
B. This decision has multiplied revenues in the past. While it could be put off for a year, I'll be mildly hypocritical and let you spend the million
B. I always wanted to learn Currency Accounting in foreign payroll.

Also: *ahem* As the self-appointed accountant for Wrexham financial statements, I can confidently assert that no money has been skimmed off the top, stolen, embezzled, pirated, made up, removed or otherwise falsified. The financials clearly transparent about all the money and where it's going. On an entirely unrelated matter, I'm going to request that our generous board of directors to start providing me with an increased salary that isn't in any way a kickback for covering up for these clearly falsified misdeeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

KKKLIP ART posted:

What are the residency issues that we would need to overcome if we found a South American or Caribbean wonder-kid that we would need to know about so we can decide if it is worth it at this stage to invest in more scouting powers?

1) They'll be coming in at 18 years old, rather than 15-16. Most countries outside of the EU have strict rules about when a minor can be transferred between clubs. You can still sign them before that, they'll just stay at their current club until they're old enough.

2) If we're lucky they'll qualify on a work permit based upon exceptional potential. Then they'll be eligible to play in England/Wales. That doesn't always work so we would then have to move on to option three.

3) Loan them to a feeder team in a country that's a member of the European Union, preferably one that has very lax requirements to gain citizenship. Croatia is one of these, if the player learns basic Croatian then after two years they can get citizenship and thus be eligible to play in England without a work permit as a citizen of an EU country. On the other hand, Greece is a terrible idea for this strategy, as it takes 10 years for foreigners to be eligible for Greek citizenship.

So basically, we'll pick up the ones with the most talent at age 18, and then by age 21 or so they'll be able to play for us. It's a bit of a long game strategy, but it's the only way to bring in relatively cheap non-European players who can reach world class level.

eta: Aww, crumbs. They changed up Croatia. It's now 8 years to gain citizenship there. I guess in real life they have a fast track citizenship system for athletes, probably to specifically get around the work permit/foreign player limit rules. But SI took it out based upon the more general rule that requires 8 years of continuous residency. The game got less realistic by reading real laws! Belgium is still only 3 years, though.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 19, 2014

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Well, armed with all of that information...

B
B
B
B

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
:stonk:

Habe, you are incredible.

I expect nothing less than the league this year. :colbert:

Also. Do Derby still have alt!Will Hughes?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Holy poo poo, Brown. Do you have any idea how much money there'll be to embezzle improve the team with after another promotion?

What's that? You want some scraps from the table? Sure, grab a handful or two from the hot tub full of money, champagne and hookers. Unleash the B's.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: Also, I just realized that I can nickname myself.

I should probably change that back before it goes to my head.

The problem isn't the title going to your head, the problem is that your title contains an article, causing it to clash horribly with headline-style titles - just drop it and you'll be fine. "The God King of Wales always confident" just sounds dumb, "God King of Wales Always Confident" sounds like an editor who knows where his loyalties lie.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

habeasdorkus posted:

Moses Oakes, AKA Galaga Galaxian
Length of Tenure: 1 year, 5 months
Chief Attribute: Interfering with Management (14)
Favorite Decepticon: Starscream

Actually, I prefer Shockwave, but Starscream is a close second. :allears:

Also, I can't wait until we falter during early consolidation, preferably right around election time, so I can depose Sky Shadowing and take my rightful place as supreme ruler of the DeceptiDragons.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 19, 2014

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
B, B (for Belguim),B and B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: Aww, crumbs. They changed up Croatia. It's now 8 years to gain citizenship there. I guess in real life they have a fast track citizenship system for athletes, probably to specifically get around the work permit/foreign player limit rules. But SI took it out based upon the more general rule that requires 8 years of continuous residency. The game got less realistic by reading real laws! Belgium is still only 3 years, though.

Fair enough, do a deal with Zulte Workpermit'em.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Gonna put in another BCBA. No need to go too crazy, with spending especially in what's going to be a tough campaign just to stay up.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
(estatic) Words...words cannot describe how amazed I am at this season's result. I predicted we'd finish in the top ten, and I thought that was a bit over ambitous. But not only did we get promoted when we were predicted to just avoid regulation, we got an automatic promotion!

I vote you're given key to the city.

Vote 1

(optimistic) We done this drat good with such a low wage budget but we can't play sabermetrics in Premier League. Budget's at 26m a year, and I am certain you won't make us regret it (c)

Vote 2

(focused) Now that we're hot poo poo now, let's start doing things that big time companies do, such as find loopholes in labor laws (b) (wow I feel like an evil person right now)

Vote 3

We're a Premier League Club, so we can't have lovely Training Facilities. We plan on being the best, so our Training Facilities should-no must-reflect that(b) .

Vote 4

(Maniacally)I'm not content at just Continental Scouting Range. No we must take this WORLDWIDE!!!!! (B)

I know there's an American kid who's pretty drat good Wasting away doing something worthless like playing Basketball.

Go get 'em

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: Also, I just realized that I can nickname myself.

I should probably change that back before it goes to my head.

(Demanding) You better loving not change it! Once you get a nickname, you can never escape it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guitar_Hero posted:

No need to go too crazy...

People say that every time we have a board vote. We just got promoted to the Premiere League, when exactly are we supposed to go crazy if not now?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

People say that every time we have a board vote. We just got promoted to the Premiere League, when exactly are we supposed to go crazy if not now?

There are far too many teams IRL that overspend in an attempt to stay in the Premier League and utterly gently caress their finances. QPR last season, for example. Better to get a season's worth of TV money and THEN if we're still up, start to spend bigger.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. We're gonna need a stadium upgrade, new youth facilities and a bunch of other infrastructure.

At least paying off our loans won't be an issue any more.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

In 4-5 years, when we have hundreds of millions of pounds in the bank and I start stealing the best players in the world from Real Madrid. Also, stadiums cost a fuckton of money, and it wouldn't hurt to get a new one in several years time once we're reliably filling the Racecourse grounds if only for the boost to corporate amenities. And what Guitar_Hero said, QPR was something like 175m in debt after their first Prem season, and it only got worse when they got relegated.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hope that our best young player that we find while scouting the world is French. The idea of BPL being forced to eat poo poo from an American coach with a Welsh team and a French superstar is just amazing. :allears:

Actually, none of our best players are English. Mujkic is an Australian, of course. Shirra, who really came on towards the end of the year and finished with a 7 average rating after being at 6.7 in January, is Scottish. Chris Todd is probably our best player after those two, and he's Welsh. It'll probably be a couple years before we see Rouissi in the first team, he's a natural trequartista and that doesn't fit our current tactics. I might do a tactical overhaul this summer, and implement a 5-4-1 as one of our tactics. It's a pity we have no-one who would make a great sweeper, an Italian style libero would be great for giving us a stronger defense while not sacrificing all of our counter-attacking capability.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 19, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

beru04 posted:

Also. Do Derby still have alt!Will Hughes?

Alas, no. Dominic Birchall was at Derby for three years, made the Prem with them, and was awesome. Then they sold him for only 6m to Man City, which is straight up screwy. He must have had a release clause, because he's valued at 34.5m pounds just three years later. No way he wasn't already worth at least 15m when Man City bought him. He's one of the best central midfielders in the world now, I'd say. Has 10 goals and 13 assists in the Prem, to go with a 7.35 avg rating.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

Shirra, who really came on towards the end of the year and finished with a 7 average rating after being at 6.7 in January, is Scottish.

Scotland winning the World Cup would be the only thing that would be sweeter in this game than Wrexham winning the Champions League. And with Shirra, Tartan Tory's wish for a super-striker, and mine for a super-goalie, maybe it just might happen.

Oh, I forgot to vote in my last post, so CBBB.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
BBBB. Obviously as a director I will be taking my cut of the proceeds all the credit the team forward into our new challenge, yeah, that's it.

To be honest I would be in favour of even more training facility upgrades, as our youth potential is what's going to keep us up in the difficult second season. Plus if everything goes tits up at least we'll have infrastructure!

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Besides, the bank has stopped letting me take mortgages out on the Memorial Barn :(

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Income will take a huge increase in all sectors (as will expenses, of course). We may have only drawn 9000 fans this year, but you can expect that to probably double as fans hop happily on the bandwagon (I think the technical English term for such people are 'plastics'), teams with much stronger travelling support, etc.

Plus all that sweet, sweet TV money.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sky Shadowing posted:

Income will take a huge increase in all sectors (as will expenses, of course). We may have only drawn 9000 fans this year, but you can expect that to probably double as fans hop happily on the bandwagon (I think the technical English term for such people are 'plastics'), teams with much stronger travelling support, etc.

Around here we call fairweather, bandwagon fans "Minnesotans".

Does the game simulate increased public interest in teams that are having amazing seasons? Did we, for example, gain any increased television coverage or jersey sales because of our Cinderella run last season?

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

How are Tackleford doing? Still languishing in League 1?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Obliterati posted:

To be honest I would be in favour of even more training facility upgrades, as our youth potential is what's going to keep us up in the difficult second season. Plus if everything goes tits up at least we'll have infrastructure!

We actually have a youth upgrade coming in the fall. The original release had a bug where the youth level wouldn't update despite the board request being accepted, and despite the club spending money on it, so we were stuck at level 4 until I realized it and asked for a rise in youth level again. They agreed and to bring facilities up to requirements set about improving things again. That was before the most recent upgrade was complete, so we should go from below average to above average between the two. (roughly from an 8 to a 12 on the 20 point scale). I didn't realize that they were going to do the upgrade, it's the difference between our balance being 100k in the black and 550k in the red.

I'll be back once we reach a Level 3 youth academy to ask that we move up another level, though. Why should Cardiff and Swansea get all the best Welsh players?!

Sky Shadowing posted:

We were only drawing about 8500-9000 at the end of the season for the games where people started realizing we might get promoted, for the season as a whole we were at ~6000 average attendance. The Racecourse Grounds holds 15,000, so we're probably a couple years away from capacity. I think Wrexham can fill it. It's not the smallest or even second smallest category city in the game, it's in the 50,000-100,000 population range in the database, so we should be able to end up having solid 20k crowds once we're the pearl of Europe.

eta: No, wait, just checked, it's at 100k-250k population level. It must be based upon the county borough population, Wrexham's real life population is 42k in the town center and 64k in the urban area. I'm guessing we also get most if not all of the support from the Clwyd region ingame, which is listed at 500k population. So we might be able to see solid 30k crowds in time.

double eta: And I just looked up Wrexham's Supporter Profile in the database editor.

Loyalty: 19
Passion: 17
Patience: 8
Affluence: 10
Temperament: 10

Yeah, we're going to be able to bring plenty of boys to the yard. And girls. And their parents. And they probably won't get into a brawl with the other team's supporters.

I also noticed that Sky Shadowing should be term limited, four terms is the maximum allowed. At least, that's the case in the 14.3 database. In the 14.0 database that we're using, he's never term limited. So given that this is his fourth or fifth term, I'll forcibly remove him at next election. (That is, if he wins again I'll change his nickname to the winner of our chairman election contest).

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Guitar_Hero posted:

There are far too many teams IRL that overspend in an attempt to stay in the Premier League and utterly gently caress their finances. QPR last season, for example. Better to get a season's worth of TV money and THEN if we're still up, start to spend bigger.
Yep, the key thing with money right now is that a first Premier League season is there for consolidation. We might not be up there next season. We probably aren't going to be able to grab any future superstars, since anyone of "leading/star PL quality" won't sign for us easily, and we straight up won't sign anyone who's currently good, the reputation drag being even higher at this level, but anyone competitive will still want high wages. The TV money will put us in an excellent position and basically mean we won't have to worry about any debts whatsoever, but that's not a reason to go overboard and add to them.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 19, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I've put my spreadsheet for tracking player contracts, staff jobs, and such on a google doc. Feel free to view it if you're ever wondering who has what contract and how many players we have. I'm also happy to add more information as a general reference if people would like that as well.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

habeasdorkus posted:

I also noticed that Sky Shadowing should be term limited, four terms is the maximum allowed. At least, that's the case in the 14.3 database. In the 14.0 database that we're using, he's never term limited. So given that this is his fourth or fifth term, I'll forcibly remove him at next election. (That is, if he wins again I'll change his nickname to the winner of our chairman election contest).

That's all fine, my Spanish cousin Cielo Shadowing shall be running. (puts on a fake mustache).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Reveilled posted:

Scotland winning the World Cup would be the only thing that would be sweeter in this game than Wrexham winning the Champions League. And with Shirra, Tartan Tory's wish for a super-striker, and mine for a super-goalie, maybe it just might happen.

:scotland:

On that note, how are Scotland and Scott Scott doing anyway?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Do Bolton still have "Stu-S-A" Stuart Holden?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sky Shadowing posted:

That's all fine, my Spanish cousin Cielo Shadowing shall be running. (puts on a fake mustache).

AP File Photo:

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

¿Cielo Oscuro? ¡No!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

:scotland:

On that note, how are Scotland and Scott Scott doing anyway?

Scott Scott was at St. Mirren's on loan, from Newcastle, and didn't have a great year. Only 10 matches, only 1 assist, 6.29 average rating. He's 17, so he's got plenty of time to improve.

ForeverBWFC posted:

Do Bolton still have "Stu-S-A" Stuart Holden?

He appears to have retired. No one matching his age, nationality, and position show up in the database, and Bolton has a midfielder who's since retired on their team when the simulation began.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

habeasdorkus posted:

He appears to have retired. No one matching his age, nationality, and position show up in the database, and Bolton has a midfielder who's since retired on their team when the simulation began.

Games imitating life and all that... Probably forced to retire through injury.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

ForeverBWFC posted:

Games imitating life and all that... Probably forced to retire through injury.

Don't worry. He's on my Counter-Strike team again.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

cbx posted:

Don't worry. He's on my Counter-Strike team again.

Wish him well etc. Poor bloke...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Well, they might just go ahead and sell him, but in honor of the older FM LPs can you give Partick Thistle an excellent young scottish goalkeeper named John McGoon Jr?

I added a couple years to his contract, I hope they don't sell him.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Partick Thistle are the very definition of a feeder club, they will sell him. :unsmith:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

Fingers crossed, though truth be told as long as he doesn't go to Rangers I'll be happy.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Partick Thistle are the very definition of a feeder club, they will sell him. :unsmith:

Sorta looks like Rangers and Thistle have swapped places in the Wrexiverse to me, what with them selling their youth players and finishing ninth. Bad time to be a hun if you ask me.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

habeasdorkus posted:

Gonna put up my hand pre-emptively for a shot at the Chairman (because I'm never online when these things come up)

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Tithin Melias posted:

Gonna put up my hand pre-emptively for a shot at the Chairman (because I'm never online when these things come up)

I shall join you and preemptively put my hand in for Chairman. I promise I will not embezzle as much money as Sky Shadowing has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Sorta looks like Rangers and Thistle have swapped places in the Wrexiverse to me, what with them selling their youth players and finishing ninth. Bad time to be a hun if you ask me.

Is there ever a good time?

Apart from you know, that world record setting amount of trophy wins? :unsmith:

I actually kinda like Thistle, they are the underdogs you love to love.

• Locked thread