Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ka0 posted:

WARNING Optibotimus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqD5KNVBqgg This Scoria thing, this is just perfect. I'm actually tempted now.

Peaugh did one so don't give Optibotimus views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That Scoria is the real deal, can't wait!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Kommissar Poppov's review of Scoria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiN1CVL2hqE

I think I regret not grabbing Quakewave when it was still $160.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ka0 posted:

I think I regret not grabbing Quakewave when it was still $160.

Same here. Oh well.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Time for me to find out how to get the subscription variant cover issues because I must own that issue with this cover. Just so that during bad days I can pull it out and start giggling.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Universe 2.0 might have been the worst part of classics. Or at least their deluxes. We got Cheetor, Dinobot, Galvatron, Armada Hot Shot, Ironhide\Ratchet, and Octane\Tankor from that. Okay, the Datsuns, Lambos, Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno and the Ultra Class figures were good, but there was a lot of flops in that line.

There was only like 20 or so figures in the original classics line and 6 Minicon packs. Universe 2.0 was the first classics line after the Original and greatly expanded everything so it was a full line. Yeah you had a ton of weird choices like the Cybertron repaints(Bruticus, Countdown, Roadbuster, Ratbat, and Springer) but it was also the line that made Legends an official size class instead of having them be some Market Six after thought.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I guess that explains why the Sparkeater didn't go for him in the elevator, but Brainstorm has been seen without his briefcase sometimes, especially when he was talking to Chromedome after Rewind's death, so it looks like he doesn't need to be attached to it all the time

It must be really friggin' weird to be a Cybertronian. You can change form from a biped to something entirely different in a few seconds, and that new shape is still your body. You can get an entirely new body in like a day, and it's still your body. (Do Transformers leave their old bodies in storage, like your first wedding gown? Go back and look when they're feeling nostalgic? Or do they discard them like a snake shedding its skin? Either way, weird.) You have a brain, a personality, and a soul, the loss of any of which means your death. Unless you're Brainstorm apparently; just all walkin around without a soul. Though I'm sure you've met a few people like that in your life. And they must look at organic people the same way: One shape, one body, no soul; the personality is a self-organizing construct of the brain, which is itself both extremely fragile and capable of extreme resilience.

They probably think we're creepy.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy poo poo at that cover. That's unimaginable levels of peak smug right there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Holy poo poo at that cover. That's unimaginable levels of peak smug right there.
Know what bothers me, though? Empurata. I get that it is a punishment and intended to make the victim into a pariah, but, like, why can't they just get a new head and hands? Why would Whirl get a whole new body but keep his cyclops head and claws? At least in Shockwave's case we can just assume that the mental loving he got left him uncaring about it.

EDIT: I guess Whirl hasn't gotten a new body in IDW, and any differences can be chalked up to different artists, but the point remains.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
You know, despite all of the unfortunate implications surrounding her entire existence, I'm glad that Arcee's character arc led up to this specific moment (DC12 preview spoilers):

Arcee and Whirl, BFFs in the making :3:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Endless Mike posted:

Why would Whirl get a whole new body but keep his cyclops head and claws?
For him, it's 2 reasons, and they've even been stated in the comic. 1) He was a watchmaker and new hands wouldn't have been as finely crafted as the ones he was "born with." Same deal as Ratchet's story arc. 2) It's his excuse for his bad behavior, and he knows he'd be just as big an rear end in a top hat after being fixed; then he'd have to own up to it.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That said, he's still a better person than Prowl.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

SpikeMcclane posted:

For him, it's 2 reasons, and they've even been stated in the comic. 1) He was a watchmaker and new hands wouldn't have been as finely crafted as the ones he was "born with." Same deal as Ratchet's story arc. 2) It's his excuse for his bad behavior, and he knows he'd be just as big an rear end in a top hat after being fixed; then he'd have to own up to it.

I always assumed that was his reasoning for during/after the war.

I always just thought that it was because of the massive stigma around Empurata that people who dealt in new bodies and the like pre-war would refuse to deal with Empurata victims.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I guess I'll be the one-man Henkei Dinobot Defense Squad. I think he rules. I wish there wasn't as much rubbery plastic, and I wish the sword was longer and pointy. Other than that, I love him. He's show-accurate enough, and where he's not show-accurate he's pretty cool. I have never looked at aftermarket prices (because I had that bad boy preordered) but unless they are over $100 they are about right. He owns like crazy.

In Cheetor's defense I'm pretty sure (judging mostly by him and partially by Dinobot) that show accuracy just wasn't the mandate at that point. I think of them more like "re-imaginings" of the BW Show designs and even though it has some problems the Universe Cheetor mold has a pretty decent alt mode, in that it actually looks like a cheetah (unlike his show and 1996 toy counterparts). There's still no excuse for his derpy robot face, giant backpack, poor weapons, and lazy, lazy legs.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I just saw the other new solicit cover: Galvatron the Barbarian loving owns and needs a toy yesterday.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Look at that back panel!

Amazing paint job.

Also, there's this:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lepecard posted:

Also, there's this:

Eeeeeee! Uncle Magnus! :woop:

Those look like some MP-10 thighs to anyone else?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Eeeeeee! Uncle Magnus! :woop:

Those look like some MP-10 thighs to anyone else?

Yup. My theory, white MP-10 with trailer armor

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Rage posted:

Kinda like the City Commander armor for Generations UM.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can't decide if I'll snap up UM right away or hold off for the inevitable Delta colours repaint...

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The Rage posted:

Don't say that! :saddowns:

Ultra Magnus has been pretty much my favorite character in the IDW series. I got into the comics pretty late, I think when Minimus Ambus revealed himself. However the only toy currently on the shelves that does come close to his appearance is this.

I just want a blue Ultra Magnus so bad. :(

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That MP Star Sabre is shaping up nicely too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Rage posted:

Oh please yes. :allears:

I actually like the big white not-Optimus, and I'd totally be on board for a white repaint of the MP-10. Less keen about the trailer armor, since that'll add a chunk to the price, but I like the base design enough to get it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

Don't say that! :saddowns:

Ultra Magnus has been pretty much my favorite character in the IDW series. I got into the comics pretty late, I think when Minimus Ambus revealed himself. However the only toy currently on the shelves that does come close to his appearance is this.

I just want a blue Ultra Magnus so bad. :(

The whole MP line has been G1 improvements, so since UM was a white Prime with armor in G1, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Much like the LSOTW cast, I am constantly amazed that a 3P hasn't stepped up to cash in on the fact that there's no good Magnus out there.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I have never looked at aftermarket prices (because I had that bad boy preordered) but unless they are over $100 they are about right. He owns like crazy.

I was hoping to find a loose one for under $30, which isn't an unrealistic price for a loose CHUG figure--unless of course, the figure is Dinobot. The only Henkei ones I can find are in-package and start at $200, and the Universe ones are around $80. It's a shame he come out so recently, as he prob won't get a redo anytime soon unless a 3P does it, and they seem to have no interest in Beast Wars.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The Rage posted:

The whole MP line has been G1 improvements, so since UM was a white Prime with armor in G1, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I hadn't looked closely at the old toys but drat. :stare: He has been a OP recolor all this time.

I'm probably the last person to figure out where that "Ultra Magnus is a small dude in armor" plot point in MtMtE came from. :doh: I wonder if it is even possible to make a non-"armor in a trailer" G1 transformable toy.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I'd recommend Pandora's Box/Mebsuta here. It's an add-on kit made for the Fall of Cybertron Magnus figure, and the first third-party product I ever bought. BBTS still has them in stock, too. Really good build quality, even if the joints are a bit loose. The add-on parts don't turn into a trailer, but they do turn into little jet and tank things. Can't find pics of them, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

I just saw the other new solicit cover: Galvatron the Barbarian loving owns and needs a toy yesterday.

I love that there's a couple arrows in his shoulder, and we do keep seeing that dude with the bow hanging around.

In IDW, even though transformers have had guns for millions of years, there are still guys who are so dedicated to a gimmick that they will use a weapon that is a tree modified to put other chunks of tree through people.

This is what happens when all the good names get taken.

So, YOTH Prime. My first MP10, first MP Optimus of any kind. I studiously avoided the original MPOP, and didn't even notice when MP10 proper was released in Canada. Yowza this is a good mold. And he doesn't actually look bad in robot mode with the gold chrome, though I still think the wheels (and maybe his other silver-painted parts) should have been gold as well. I love that the Matrix alone is diecast, when the rest of him is plastic. Like it's meant to be more real than the rest of him. (But I like to overthink poo poo like that.)

Also, TIL that the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan employed at least one great strapping nerd: Operation TIMIS PREEM. Op Timis Preem. Yeeah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
His toes and lots of structural stuff are die-cast too...

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Much like the LSOTW cast, I am constantly amazed that a 3P hasn't stepped up to cash in on the fact that there's no good Magnus out there.

Protos for a 3P G1 Magnus were shown several years ago, and I recall another that was supposed to come with it's own custom white Prime figure. Don't think either got produced, cause they both looked like rear end. Other than City Commander, 3P attempts at an UM have been awful.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I wonder if it is even possible to make a non-"armor in a trailer" G1 transformable toy.

Titanium Ultra Magnus

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

An Angry Bug posted:

I'd recommend Pandora's Box/Mebsuta here. It's an add-on kit made for the Fall of Cybertron Magnus figure, and the first third-party product I ever bought. BBTS still has them in stock, too. Really good build quality, even if the joints are a bit loose. The add-on parts don't turn into a trailer, but they do turn into little jet and tank things. Can't find pics of them, though.

That's the problem, though, isn't it? The alt mode might as well not exist for how quick everyone is to forget about it. I don't really care what he hauls around or how much partsforming there is, Magnus needs some kind of armor-inclusive alt mode that gets hauled behind him.

edit: not trying to be a cock about it because other than that you're right, it's very pretty.

catch22 posted:

I was hoping to find a loose one for under $30, which isn't an unrealistic price for a loose CHUG figure--unless of course, the figure is Dinobot. The only Henkei ones I can find are in-package and start at $200, and the Universe ones are around $80. It's a shame he come out so recently, as he prob won't get a redo anytime soon unless a 3P does it, and they seem to have no interest in Beast Wars.

Well I guess I would put it this way, even after knowing that I have no plans to sell mine. He's a great li'l guy, and god knows how long it'll be until they make a new Dinobot. The way Hasbro is these days they'll announce one next week, or they'll be too busy with sparkabot homages for the next 2 years.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 20, 2014

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Lucky thing is, it sounds like they're working on an add-on that integrates the parts into the trailer mod that they originally designed.

(The original intended alt-mode for reference)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm curious though, why did you buy the first set when that one's on the way?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, they're two parts of the same thing. The current set is what they pared down the original into when people expressed concerns about it costing too much. Plus I actually kinda like the current alt modes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is a pity that MTMTE hasn't quite gotten popular enough in Japan that they'd replace the OP mold Matrix with a tiny little Minimus cuz that would be the aces on the cake.

I'm curious though, why did you buy the first set when that one's on the way?
Oh my goodness, did you shake a little when you wrote this?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh my goodness, did you shake a little when you wrote this?

Don't be a dick, it's a valid question and he answered it in a way that's informative. Now I'm really eager to see a picture of the alt modes, since he said he liked them.

And I didn't have a chance to ask what he meant by "they're two parts of the same thing", so I'm doing that now. An Angry Bug, are you saying that you can buy that second set as well, then do some kind of super-combo with all the parts? Because that's going to make it really hard to resist picking up the "methadone" version.

The TFW thread on this set is like 95 pages, do you know of a saner source of info regarding the set's history, revision, and future re-revision? BBTS is just all "give us your money, here's 3 pictures, no we don't know what the alt modes are".

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think Vangelus did a review, showed the altmodes and mentioned what the upcoming extra parts was all about.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

I think Vangelus did a review, showed the altmodes and mentioned what the upcoming extra parts was all about.

Oh thanks I never watch video review except for thew but I'll be glad to make an exception on a recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Transformers are the coolest drat toys.