Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks like Ganon edged it out.

As for Chickens, looking to be Emmerich and Andonuts next.

Update in a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Looking at various shots of the Gourmet's sash, could it say Volume Man?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Wasn't there a "Luca Blight" in Captain Planet too?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dr. Buttass posted:

Wasn't there a "Luca Blight" in Captain Planet too?

That was "Dr. Blight." The one with the hosed up half of a face.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Great, now we have to use Greedly as a pig name.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
So... our chickens are Video game doctors. Our Pigs are Video game Villains... What are our cows and sheep going to be? I still say sheep should be named after various clones, and cows after fissionable materials.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I have no clue for those, but I have the perfect name for a horse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ultimately, I'm gonna have one horse, and the cow/sheep split will either be 5/2 or 4/3, haven't decided which yet.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I say name the cows as female assistants to various video game/anime/cartoon scientists. And name the Sheep after those who blindly trust/follow others. Preferably those who blindly trust/follow scientists whether they be good or bad.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Raise three sheep and name them Baa, Ram and Ewe.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 12 - Boat Sailing (Summer 7 - 10)

You voted on our pig being named Ganon. Works for me.

The pig is a pet much like the dog, in that you don't have to actually feed it, and it's content to just stay in your house and do nothing.

Right, let's get started proper.

Music: Summer Theme

We've got another festival, and this time a romantic one! Whichever eligible bachelor you have the highest relationship with will show up when you leave the house this morning. For us, this is...

So I've heard that there's a festival today where people float bamboo boats on the river. I'm usually not into things like that, but I thought you might want to go with me.

Our hard work at wooing this lunkhead paid off!

See you later!

Awww.

Crops are almost ready for harvest!

Grass has also regrown and is ready to be cut.

To trigger the festival part, we gotta go to the square.

Music: Encounter Theme

You can barely see part of Bob's model in the top-right. He's so big they can't even hide him properly!

Scene change with more music I can't find.

This brings back memories. I remember running forever after bamboo boats put on the water.

I always like these little scenes where you actually get to know someone better. I think other HM games do a better job with developing characters, though.

And...that's that.

30. Boat Sailing Note

Setting a small bamboo boat afloat on the river to make a wish. A note of a special memory for two.

Since we pop back up at midnight rather than the usual 6PM, time to get some rest!

The next festival is a week away and requires Moonstones from the mine. We'll get to work on that later.

But first, we're at a multiple of five note-wise, so time for another visit to the Goddess Spring!

Music: Goddess Spring

This time, we get something extra besides the usual instrument.

Congratulations, yeah!

Today, we get another Power Berry. That's another nice boost to our stamina! Woo!

I want you to eat that and do your best, yeah!

Music: Jamie's Theme

Oh yeah, and we get Jamie being Jamie still.

Today's books are about more general things. Festivals are sorts of religious analogues, and really have been back to the first game when they actually had religion, even though it wasn't clear just what was being worshipped.

It's also one of the best ways to make money in this game!

Now let's learn economics in Harvest Moon!

I hope you've all learned something today!

Music: Moonlight Cave

Again to the cave. This time, my focus is getting to L100. To this end, I save-scummed because screw trying to chance things legit.

From what I found, floors are randomly set as soon as you enter the cave, and each floor has its loot pre-set. However, the holes that lead you down or up floors happen randomly when you step on them. Even when reloading a save state on a given floor, a hole that would send me up the first time would lead me down the second time. So while everything else can probably be planned around, using the holes still requires some luck.

But it's still pretty trivial to reach the bottom when you're constantly reloading save states.

By the way, look what I found! It's yours if you want!

The reward for reaching the bottom? Another power berry! Woo! Already at 3/5, and our stamina's going to be huge!

There isn't anything to actually mine down here, though.

What you can do is hoe the ground to find small amounts of money. This would be a waste of time if there weren't a note for digging up a certain amount of money, so there's some progress to getting that done.

And that's a day!

Flowers and tomatoes are done! Both give me 150G a pop.

With the flower spot open, I dedicate it for more Onions since they grow quick and I'll be spending lots of money on animals soon.

31. Weed Note

Little by little, every day, your steady efforts bear fruit. A note of avidly pulling up weeds.

Pulling fifty weeds gets another note.

I heard some wild animals like weeds, but apparently the duck isn't one of them.

Back to the mine! I still need to gather lots of limestone, rare ore, and clay, none of which I can really find reliably. At least I got that moonstone taken care of.

I also find a root, which ships for little but can be used for recipes and gifts.

Done!

And I spend the evening digging up more plots and planting more grass.

Music: Moonlight Cafe

Oh, and the pretty Eve, too!

And also relaxing at the cafe.

Chicken #4 is born!

Wily's also grown up now! Time to get the last chicken born!

Those nine flowers we grew put us at thirty shipped, unlocking Lyla's store. Let's visit our latest move-in!

Music: Encounter Theme

We have a number of beautiful Flower Bud Village gifts. Please take your time and look around. We mainly sell specialties of this village. So we're relying on items that you ship, Dr Science!.

Lyla sells a variety of things, like decorations for our house, brooches that can make nice gifts, jams for eating I guess, and yarn. We can unlock more stuff by shipping certain items and befriending people.

We want some yarn today. Remember that rucksack Martha promised to make us?

Now, it's done!

You can carry a lot more than before with this.

We've got the largest rucksack now! We have a max of fifteen items, which is fantastic!

Take good care of yourself, okay?

This is perfect because our two crops of corn and one crop of cocoa are ready to harvest! Corn ships for 300, Cocoa for 320. That's going to be a huge money gain, and the best part is that they'll regrow every several days! I'll be making money hand over fist.

And with that, it's been a great day.

Next time, we dive into managing livestock. Because of this, I'll need a name for a cow, sheep, and horse.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sheep are sneaky. The sheep should be called Solid Snake.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Horse - Boco
Cow - Bart
Sheep - Crono, Since I haven't heard the crazy Crono/Jesus parallel in awhile, how about a real Agnus Dei.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mega64 posted:

Since we pop back up at midnight rather than the usual 6PM, time to get some rest!
Dr Science!! What were you two doing all night?
She deserves some romantic fun :kimchi:

Mega64 posted:

Next time, we dive into managing livestock. Because of this, I'll need a name for a cow, sheep, and horse.
I like the Solid Snake for the sheep.
Our horse should be named Bad Horse. Who else to start the Evil League of Evil than Dr Science!'s own horse?
As for a cow, we totally need the name of an element. But let's not name it after the element, but its notation! Fe for the cow, because it will be the hammer with which we crush Jamie in the competition.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't put my finger on why, but every time I see Bob I'm reminded of Mitch from The Powerpuff Girls.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Name a sheep Sorensen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Horse - Larry
Sheep - Curly
Cow - Moo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ThornBrain posted:

Horse - Larry
Sheep - Curly
Cow - Moo
I'm down with this naming scheme.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

quote:

The cutest LP :3:

Call the horse Bad Horse

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Horse - Larry
Sheep - Curly
Cow - Moo

If you do that the sheep should be Shep.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

Sheep are sneaky. The sheep should be called Solid Snake.

I nominated this to be the sheep name.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Please, Bad Horse.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
If you're only getting one sheep, name him Vincent.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Horse? Bad horse
Cow? Einsteinium
Sheep? Dolly (One of the known names for cloned sheep apparently.)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

ThornBrain posted:

Horse - Larry
Sheep - Curly
Cow - Moo

This is great. I'm with this guy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The horse should be called (Dr) Seuss.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
I want to go with Dolly for the sheep, because

Zebrin posted:

(One of the known names for cloned sheep apparently.)

...but dammit, Larry, Curly, and Moo is just too good. We're getting more than one sheep right? :ohdear:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

curiousCat posted:

Please, Bad Horse.

Yeah. This is too cute not to have.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Bad Horse, Dolly, Miltank. :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess nobody here knows Hebrew. :(

(Seuss is phonetically identical to the Hebrew word for horse)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Adnor posted:

Call the horse Bad Horse
This is all I care about. Do this.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

I guess nobody here knows Hebrew. :(

(Seuss is phonetically identical to the Hebrew word for horse)

Much as I like the name Bad Horse, you have to admit that this is pretty damned ingenious. I'm voting our valiant steed be called Dr. Seuss.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm definitely leaping on the Bad Horse bandwagon.

Still no firm Cow opinion yet.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh drat. I remembered "Outside" too late for the horse name. Oh well.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'm all for Larry, Curly, and Moo.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Horse - Larry
Sheep - Curly
Cow - Moo

We've already abandoned the science theme with Ganon, so I'll go with this.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 19, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ThornBrain posted:

Horse - Larry
Sheep - Curly
Cow - Moo

This, as well as the alternate Sheep name Shep, proposed earlier.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd love to call the sheep Shep, but the fourth stooge was Shemp.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Jeez, you'd think Jamie would have acquired one instrument with all the festivals, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

What does Jamie even do besides sit in his house being a goony misanthropic lump?

• Locked thread