Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Harvest Moon series has been around since the first game hit the SNES. It started as a farming sim with a significant emphasis on social life, making friends and finding love while tending to crops and livestock. As the series advanced, more and more features were added, with the social aspect getting more complex as well. Along the way, mechanics like fishing and cooking were fleshed out, and eventually the series started going in crazier and crazier directions.

Harvest Moon: Magical Melody is my favorite game in the series because I feel it has the best balance of all the great elements that make the series so addicting. There's tons of ways to make money, there's an extensive cooking system that's still simple to utilize, there's tons of people to befriend, and even twice as many potential romantic partners as most other games in the series, with a whopping ten for each gender. And of course you can still grow crops and raise livestock just fine.

The story's pretty simple. Humanity is evil or something, so the Harvest Goddess turned herself to stone. You, the saviour, show up because you want to farm, but end up having to collect music notes to revive her. You do this by doing random stuff, making music notes into essentially achievements. You also have a rival rancher that does little more than be a jerk to you, so there's that.

This Let's Play will be informative, with my fellow goons choosing the general course of what I do while playing. You guys will pick our protagonist, names, who we marry and befriend, and all sorts of small and big things. I'll take more control on how to make money, focusing on showing off a balance of all the activities you can spend your time doing. I'll also attempt to fulfill all the necessary requirements to bring in everybody possible as quickly as I can manage. And finally, my goal is to aim for getting all 100 musical notes, though I make no guarantees I will actually reach that, so we'll more see how far I get before I get bored.

As for the usual, spoilers in spoiler tags, updates will likely be once or twice a week, and I post when I update and little else on Twitter.

Updates

-----

Year One

Spring

Chapter 1 - First Step (Spring 1)
Chapter 2 - Cooking (Spring 2)
Chapter 3 - Poor (Spring 3 - 4)
Chapter 4 - Cloud (Spring 5 - 7)
Chapter 5 - Destruction (Spring 8 - 11)
Chapter 6 - Treasure Hoard (Spring 12 - 16)
Chapter 7 - Cultivation (Spring 17 - 21)
Chapter 8 - Spring Fragrance (Spring 22 - 26)
Chapter 9 - Master Angler (Spring 27 - 30)

Summer

Chapter 10 - Fodder (Summer 1 - 2)
Chapter 11 - Blue Sea, White Clouds (Summer 3 - 6)
Chapter 12 - Boat Sailing (Summer 7 - 10)
Chapter 13 - Male (Summer 11 - 15)
Chapter 14 - Rain (Summer 16 - 20)
Chapter 15 - Super Chef (Summer 21 - 25)
Chapter 16 - Fisherman (Summer 26 - 30)

Intermission - Love Connection

Fall

Chapter 17 - Sun (Fall 1 - 4)
Chapter 18 - Lost Child (Fall 5 - 8)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fan Art

Adnor shows how Bob can act as a good assistant for the good doctor.

Adnor posted:

Bob may not be a scientist, but he can give Dr. Science new heights for her seek of knowledge!

(This took longer than I'm willing to admit).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 9, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Musical Notes
(In order collected)

1. First Step Note - It's difficult to take the first step no matter what you are doing. The first step of farm life note. (Spring 1)
2. Cooking Note - Cooking for the first time. A note for appreciating the happiness of cooking by yourself. (Spring 2)
3. Poor Note - When you have no money, you fully understand its importance. A note for re-evaluating the value of money. (Spring 3)
4. Stationary Note - Remaining still for some time, wanting a chance to look at the surroundings. A quiet note. (Spring 3)
5. First Shipping Note - Lots of deliveries from the first. Happiness of the very first delivery note. (Spring 3)
6. Lone Wolf Note - Not speaking to anyone for some time, wanting to devote yourself to working silently. A note that seems a little sad. (Spring 5)
7. Limitation Note - You failed and fell down, but sometimes that's important in life, too. A note for forging ahead though you fall down. (Spring 6)
8. Woodcutter Note - Cutting down trees to collect lumber. A note of gratitude for the years it takes for them to grow. (Spring 7)
9. Cloud Note - A cloudy day... A sense of coming rain. A blue feeling. A sense of blessing for flowers and grass. (Spring 7)
10. Night Owl Note - Tired from staying up all night. But you like to stay up sometimes. A note of the sound of night. (Spring 8)
11. Egg Dish Note - Lets make delicious food with eggs. A fun note for the wonderful smell. (Spring 8)
12. Gem Note - A note of sublime radiance for sparkling gems dug up from beneath the ground. (Spring 9)
13. Destruction Note - There are times when making things and breaking things seem to be the same. A note of strength and destruction. (Spring 11)
14. Treasure Hoard Note - You've shipped every ore. You've done a lot of crushing. A note for crushing all that rocks. (Spring 12)
15. Fire Prevention Note - When you make a bonfire, clean up completely afterwards! A note of relief and safety for putting fires out. (Spring 14)
16. Forest Note - More trees and flowers. It's important for the people, animals and the land. A note of the fragrance in green forests. (Spring 18)
17. Cultivation Note - Plowing the land, breathing heavily. A note of repeated reserve strength. (Spring 18)
18. 10,000 Steps Note - You've walked 10,000 steps. You can walk more than you think you can. A note of strong feeling. (Spring 21)
19. Spring Fragrance Note - The Flower Festival, held for the Harvest Goddess. A note filled with the fragrance of flowers. (Spring 22)
20. Gardening Note - Let's make beautiful scenery with lots of flowers. It will heal the hearts of people and animals. A gardening note. (Spring 23)
21. Rock Climber Note - Fierce winds couldn't make you quit. You've reached the top of a steep cliff. A note giving praise to this honor. (Spring 23)
22. Big Eater Note - In order to build up strength, be sure to eat everything on your plate! A note of thanks for the great meal. (Spring 26)
23. Island Note - You have arrived on new soil! What can you catch here? A note of excitement and happiness. (Spring 28)
24. Diary Note - Sometimes your actions have to be bold or sometimes prudent or discreet. A note obtained writing in your diary. (Spring 29)
25. Egg Note - Thank you, chickens. A delivery filled with gratitude. A note for wonderful eggs. (Spring 30)
26. Master Angler - You've fished everywhere! You've caught all kinds of fish. A note for catching 100 fish (Spring 30)
27. Fodder Note - Harvesting the pastures to make fodder. A note of the sun's aroma. (Summer 2)
28. Blue Sea, White Clouds Note - The Beach Festival to wish for the safety of the sea and good health. A note played by the blue sea. (Summer 3)
29. Hustle-and-Bustle Note - It's great when you meet people. It takes time to get to know each other, but a gentle note for coming together. (Summer 4)
30. Boat Sailing Note - Setting a small bamboo boat afloat on the river to make a wish. A note of a special memory for two. (Summer 7)
31. Weed Note - Little by little, every day, your steady efforts bear fruit. A note of avidly pulling up weeds. (Summer 9)
32. Male Note - A gentle person with strength. A reliable big brother who has a refined sense about him. (Summer 15)
33. Firefly Flower Note - The Firefly Festival to honor your ancestors. A solemn note floating on the night sea. (Summer 15)
34. Rain Note - You can hear an upbeat rhythm if you run around in the rain without caring whether you get wet. (Summer 16)
35. Brushing Note - Because they are your prized animals, groom them with all your heart. A calm and considerate note. (Summer 17)
36. Super Chef Note - You've gathered a lot of recipes for cooking. You're ready for anything, any dish at all. A super chef note. (Summer 21)
37. Fireworks Note - Beautiful fireworks painting the summer night sky. A note of resounding booms. (Summer 24)
38. Fisherman Note - Caught up in a life where fishing is everything. A little bit shy around girls, but if it's about fishing, he's your man. (Summer 26)
39. Bow-Wow Note - Filled with affection for your trusted companion. Your dog is your best friend. A note for being friends forever! (Fall 2)
40. Sun Note - When you run around in the sun you feel your strength flowing through you. A bright and cheerful rhythm. (Fall 3)
41. Calling Animals Note - The sound of the bell to call the animals. A gentle note that echoes throughout the village. (Fall 7)
42. Full Bloom Flowers Note - You've grown all the flowers and the herbs. A note for a green thumb. (Fall 8)
43. Lost Child Note - A note praising the courage shown in helping frightened children. You're a hero! (Fall 8)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 1 - First Step (Spring 1)

Music: Title Screen

First off, it's really difficult to find good-quality rips of the music, so I'm relying on Youtube for the music this time. The music itself is generally good, not fantastic but pleasurable to listen to while playing.

Yes, this is the first Harvest Moon with multiplayer. The mini games are pretty dumb, and we start with two with more able to be unlocked as we play. I'll probably show them off later.

We get to choose what season our character's birthday is, though not what day. People will give you stuff for your birthday if they like you enough. It feels nice when that happens.

I believe this is the first console HM game where you can choose your gender without having to buy a separate version of the game. The Game Boy ones let you choose, but they were less focused on the socialization.

In one of the weirder choices I've seen, the Wii release that PAL regions got over the Gamecube version removed the ability to play as a girl. But hey, you can use motion controls instead!

Of course, you guys will get to pick which gender I play as, but for the prologue I'll be showing off the boy.

Music: Encounter Theme

Get used to this music, since you hear it pretty much every time you meet someone new.

Also, this is pretty much our backstory.

There are tons of cute animations in this game, and I aim to show off as many as possible.

I'm Theodore, the mayor of this village. It's a pleasure to meet you.

We get a whopping twelve characters to use! That's always awesome.

Canon name based on Puzzle de Harvest Moon is Pete (with the female farmer being Claire), though that game's focused around the HM64/Back to Nature era. I'll go with the unofficial name associated with the farmer back in the SNES game for now, Jack.

Obviously, you guys will choose our name as well.

First, choose a lot and a house from the following.

This one I'm picking, because River Side is easily the best one to start on due to its fertile soil. I'll get into that more once we get to actual gameplay.

This is the perfect place for fishing along the river. The land is fertile and the property is an okay size, so it should be possible to raise livestock.

It's best to find out how to work on the farm by talking to the villagers. I don't want to start off by saying too much, but please don't forget this.

Your lot is blue, other people's property is yellow, and common property is green. Please be careful not to throw things away on property other than your own.

Handy way to figure out which property is yours, which is useful once you start buying more property.

Speaking of which, we can buy the two properties we didn't choose later on.

please pick a name for your place.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as creative for ranch names. That will be your job.

Theodore says sarcastically.

If you'd like, please rearrange them later. The tool box also holds basic tools, so it'd be a good idea to put them in the rucksack. There's a lumber shed behind the house. There's also a mailbox and a shipping box.

Now we get a chance to move stuff around in our house.

There's not much point other than to move our toolbox to a place that isn't in the way of everything else.

Much better. This obviously becomes more important once we get a larger house and more furniture.

It's been a busy day, so let's get some rest, shall we?

-----

Music: Harvest Goddess Theme

They forgot kind thoughts... ...the heart to believe... ...the heart to love...

...Eh, there's not really any bitter people in the game besides one person.

Music: Jamie's Theme

Arthur is the red sprite, Billy the blue, Carlos the yellow. They all look the same, but since there's no official art I'm using the art from Hero of Leaf Valley.

Meet our rival, Jamie. This is Jamie's theme playing, by the way.

I... I will...get you back to normal....

-----

A light tapping is heard outside, louder than the knocks we'll get used to hearing later on.

Music: Harvest Sprites Theme

What? You can see us?
It's been awhile since someone could see us, yeah!
I have a favor to ask, yeah!

-----

Music: Goddess Spring

She turned into stone one year ago and has been that way since.
Please! I want you to return the Harvest Goddess to her former self, yeah!
A lot of notes are needed to return the Harvest Goddess to her former self, yeah!
I want you to collect a lot of notes, yeah!

And so the two rivals meet.

Give up already.

Nothing like the classic Harvest Moon typo, this one for Jamie's name. Still more subtle and much more error free than translations of past HM games.

I love the combination of that animation and that line. It's just so goofy out of context.

She got that way because of humans in the first place...

You guys do whatever you want to do. I'm the one who will rescue her, you'll see.

No one cares, Jamie.

If you do a lot of things, you'll get a lot of notes, yeah!
I'll give you this, I bet it'll help you, yeah!

It's adorable how excited he is for something so worthless.

You'll be able to tell how hard you've worked!

The pedometer is useful for exactly one thing, after which it's useless other than if you really care about how many steps you take.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

1. First Step Note

It's difficult to take the first step no matter what you are doing. The first step of farm life note.

I'll maintain a list in one of the first posts keeping track of which ones we get.

So you get different notes like this, yeah!

You can take a look in the menu, yeah!

One down, ninety-nine to go.

I'll go more into them later on, but the game will usually give you a good idea on how to fulfill them.

I'd like you to come back to this "Harvest Goddess Spring", yeah!

-----

Music: Meeting Ellen

After the scene with the sprites, we immediately go to this scene.

"Excting"

Fans of the series may recognize Ellen from the SNES game. Half the eligible bachelorettes are ripped straight from Harvest Moon SNES, with the other half coming from the PS2 game Save the Homeland, which I've never played. Meanwhile, the eligible bachelors are taken from various games.

This dog was born on our farm. Would you mind keeping it? The dog would be much happier here with you than alone on our farm.

Koro was what Ellen originally named the dog in the first Harvest Moon before giving it to you. You guys will name it whatever you want.

And that does it for the prologue! Next time, we'll play the actual game!

But before then, let's go ahead and choose our protagonist and name some stuff!

Name:
Dog Name:
Birth Season:
Bio (Optional):

While I'm not going to do a narrative this time, a short bio could add to the flavor of the LP. Not required, though! Once I get enough submissions, I'll do a poll for the more popular ones. I may also mix and match submissions if there's good enough ideas.

I figure a couple days for this and a day for the poll voting will be enough, at which point I'll use those ideas to play the game proper.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 1, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Other than being stoked because Harvest Moon is awesome I don't have any strong opinions on what we should name anything beyond suggesting our Ranch Name be Monsanto Acres or AMERICAN VALUES.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I just bought Harvest Moon 3DS: A New Beginning so gently caress yeah, Harvest Moon.

Name: Jill
Ranch Name: Cool
Dog Name: Koro
Birth Season: Summer

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Name: Mariann May
Ranch Name: Manifest Destiny
Dog Name: Ol' Yeller
Birth Season: Winter

Bio: Master of earth exploitation, Mariann May, Comes to the village under pretenses that all land belongs to her by god given right.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Name:Travis
Ranch Name:Whatever the one in the book was called. Or the most popular if it lacked a name.
Dog Name:Ol' Yeller, or just Yeller.
Birth Season:Summer I guess.

Or an M. Bison theme I guess.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 19, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Name: Julia
Ranch Name: Hyboria
Birth Season: Spring

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Name: Adrian
Sex: F
Birth Season: Winter, because my birthday is in summer in real life.
Dog name: Brownie, like the dessert.

The rest I don't really mind.

Cooking Magpie
Jul 25, 2012
Name: Lily
Ranch Name: No preference

Putnopvut
May 18, 2007

Give me some money
Name: Bud
Ranch Name: Bud's Ranch
Dog Name: Bud's Dog
Birth Season: winter

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Name: Herb
Ranch Name: Hiddenvalley
Dog Name: Spice

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Name: Paul Neuman
Ranch: Ponderosa
Dog:Koro
Birthseason: Winter

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Name: Susan
Ranch: Spicy
Dog: Gerbil
Birth: Fall

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Name: Travis
Ranch: No Hero or Moe~
Dog: Jeane
Birth: Winter

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Name: Superman
Ranch Name: Seaside
Dog Name: Hachiko

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Name: Cesar
Ranch Name: Delano
Dog Name: Daddy

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Name: Sam
Ranch Name: Cool Ranch
Dog Name: You

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Name: Dandy
Ranch Name: Aloha Oe
Dog Name: Meow

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Name: Dr. Science! (With the punctuation, it's 12 characters)

Ranch Name: Lab No. 003

Dog Name: Oppenheimer

Stated purposes of farm experiment: To engineer the perfect farm, study the "Harvest Goddess" phenomenon, and prove once and for all that they are not a mad scientist.

Actual purposes of farm experiment: Mad science, fresh start after "incidents" at Labs Nos. 001 and 002.

Hobbies: Cooking, house lab repair and "improvements," taking a night out on the town for observational purposes.

Likes: Bats, lightning storms, cows (living), cows (dissected), good food, candlelit dinners, classical music (organ), playing God, non-judgmental companionship.

Dislikes: Mobs of angry townsfolk, the consequences of playing God, spiders, boredom.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Name: Troy
Ranch Name: Misery
Dog Name: Beer
Bio (Optional): Never forget.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Name: Bub
Ranch Name: Exciting
Dog Name: Bob

I haven't played any Harvest Moons after the first one, so this should be fun to follow.

Captain Misc.
Sep 8, 2007

Why don't the kids
want to buy my mask?
:mad:

life_source posted:

Name: Troy
Ranch Name: Misery
Dog Name: Beer
Bio (Optional): Never forget.

I don't know, I kind of like this one...

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009
Love me some harvest moon, but i got to say that I really hate the child/baby faced art style this one went with.

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Stated purposes of farm experiment: To engineer the perfect farm, study the "Harvest Goddess" phenomenon, and prove once and for all that they are not a mad scientist.

Actual purposes of farm experiment: Mad science, fresh start after "incidents" at Labs Nos. 001 and 002.

Hobbies: Cooking, house lab repair and "improvements," taking a night out on the town for observational purposes.

Likes: Bats, lightning storms, cows (living), cows (dissected), good food, candlelit dinners, classical music (organ), playing God, non-judgmental companionship.

Dislikes: Mobs of angry townsfolk, the consequences of playing God, spiders, boredom.

this gets my vote

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This, except name him Dr.Professor

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I like Dr. Science! (or Dr. Professor), but would like to specify our character be a girl.
I found some aspects of the game a little unsatisfying once I got into, and I really didn't like the "achievement collection" phase of Harvest Moon one bit... Still, I enjoyed the game for a while, and look forward to seeing it gone over with a fine-toothed comb!

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I shall vote for Dr. Science! and he shall be male

I played the poo poo out of the N64 and PS1 titles. I look forward to this.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

seconding this, but with Dr. Science! Being a girl.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Name: Harry Mason

Sex:M

Ranch Name: Silent Hill

Dog Name: Hotel

Bio: After running around for days on end with no sleep and experiencing incredibly vivid hallucinations of horrific monsters, savagely industrialized streets, and snow out of season, Harry Mason has fallen into a massive coma from overdosing on Health DrinksTM. Now, as he hangs on the brink of life and death, his subconscious clings to something... Radically different from his most recent experiences.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Female Dr. Science!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Name: STINKFINGER
Ranch Name: THE BUNNY RANCH
Dog Name: POON HOUND
Birth Season: FALL
Bio (Optional): LIKE HARRISON BERGERON BUT WITH MORE PUSSY

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Femme Fatale Dr. Science!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I just started playing this the other day! The pudgy baby aesthetic takes a bit of getting used to, but I really like it so far! Looking forward to seeing a more experienced hand. :)

Name: Freddie
Ranch Name: Queen
Dog Name: Flash Gordon
Bio (Optional): Just here to learn about a crazy little thing called love (with one specific person).

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Male DR. SCIENCE!

WampaPartyEX fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 19, 2014

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

You must be the one, the only, the Evil Totally Good Female Dr. Science!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Name: Mac
Ranch Name: Burgeranch
Dog Name: Ronald
Birth Season: Autumn
switched vote in future reply.

e: Raise a lot of cows please.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 19, 2014

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Female Dr. Science

I second the raising lots of cows!

Can I also rant for just a second about how even in the most recent Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games it's ridiculous that you can't date same-sex partners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
A Female Dr.Science is the only way to go.

• Locked thread