Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Just picked up some Noodler's Blue, Amazon doesn't carry Liberty Elysium and I don't like paying for shipping on Goulet for small purchases. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

You guys, my Esterbrook LJ is restored. It's writing again.

I only waited like 2-3 hours for the shellac to cure but Brian Goulet says that's plenty and I trust him.

I can't even tell you how happy this makes me. I should get a notebook to document my pen adventures. Or maybe four notebooks. Or ten.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You guys, my Esterbrook LJ is restored. It's writing again.

I only waited like 2-3 hours for the shellac to cure but Brian Goulet says that's plenty and I trust him.

I can't even tell you how happy this makes me. I should get a notebook to document my pen adventures. Or maybe four notebooks. Or ten.

Clearly you should get an MTN and load it up with all the bells and whistles to document your pen shenanigans! :retrogames:

Also post that beautiful pen footage!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Who makes decent pencils?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

PRADA SLUT posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwing_602

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jetpens sells them:

http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwing-Wooden-Pencil-602-Pack-of-12/pd/8117?gclid=CJPUndnOjr0CFS1eOgodDkoAaQ

As does Amazon for more money:

http://www.amazon.com/Palomino-Blackwing-602-12-Count/dp/B006YYPIUI/

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
Or you could just buy a Graph Gear 1000/Rotring 600 along with some quality erasers and enjoy writing. :smug:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

snuffles posted:

Or you could just buy a Graph Gear 1000/Rotring 600 along with some quality erasers and enjoy writing. :smug:

TWSBI also makes mechanical pencils what seems like a take on that esthetic. Quite tempting.

Aside from that the Ahab had arrived, pretty looking and rear end-smelling(reminds me of the smell a military storm-suit gets in storage, so I kind of like it).
The nib is hard to flex but aside from that it looks like great value for money.
The Dark Matter ink is quite black, dries with some texture, like a bump say. It also bleeds super readily, on paper where at the same thickness the Pelikan brilliant black sits tight. No free pen, though. The bottle is cute and was filled literally to the brim.
I think I want my next pen purchases to be another black ink, a bold nib pen(TWSBI 580 rose gold looks nice) and maybe a true flex nib like Namiki Falcon. I'm gonna hold fast yet, so I can see what will be the best fit.

Edit:
Having written with the Ahab a little I think the nib is way way rough. Scratching the paper, and the ring on the cap has a small crack in it. Maybe sone high grade sandpaper could help? Disappointing some.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 13, 2014

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I got some of those 602 and those guys are amazing. Your hand can fly across the paper and you still get crisp, dark lines. If you need them more for writing, Palemino also makes the Pearl, which is harder and better adapted for handwriting.

On the topic of drawing, are there pen nibs that give you a lot of variance to the width of your line? I've used brush pens and sometimes they don't lay down enough ink to keep up and so I'm wondering if a fountain pen might work better of if I should just slow my rear end down when inking.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Rotring 800 :agesilaus:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've used many many mechanical pencils and the dirt cheap Graph Gear 500 is the best I've come across. Bomb proof, uber reliable despite the abuse I heap on them and light on the wallet:
http://www.pentel.com/store/graph-gear-500tm-mechanical-drafting-pencil

There's a built in eraser, but I tend to use mine with a stick eraser something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Retrac...ds=stick+eraser

or with a Staedtler plastic eraser:
http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-STD...+plastic+eraser

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hellbeard posted:

maybe a true flex nib like Namiki Falcon.
Don't expect too much there. Compared to vintage pens, the Falcon's semi-flex at most. No idea how it compares to the Ahab though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For pencils I prefer the Draftec since the super pointy lead holder part retracts all the way into the pencil body like a click pen: http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-draftec-pencils/

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

ohhhh my godddd why did I not start using fountain pens sooner :circlefap:

Got a few samplers of red and purple and burgundy inks to try, I'm currently in love with Diamine Syrah, but Noodler's Tiananmen has really surprised me. I'm used to red inks just being bright and in your face, but it's a really moderate, dignified shade with just a tiiiinge of orange. I did make the mistake of filling the converters too full, so I'll probably not get the chance to try my other inks for a few days. Ah well, lesson learned.

\/\/\/\/ And now I just feel like an idiot. Thank you!

Remora fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 14, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Remora posted:

I did make the mistake of filling the converters too full, so I'll probably not get the chance to try my other inks for a few days. Ah well, lesson learned.

They're converters. Just empty them back into their respective bottles and flush them out with distilled water or pen flush.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Converters hold about half an ml. Even if it's Irohizuku, you're talking about $0.20 worth of ink.

Don't pour whatever crud and ugh has collected in your converter back into the bottle. Just throw it away.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Okay, time to roll that beautiful bean pen footage!

Sorry for the lovely quality, my scanner died so I had to take these with a cell phone camera. I assure you that the blurriness is purely the fault of my unsteady hand and not the nibs. The 9555 was a NOS nib from Anderson Pens and the "fine" came with one of my two CX-100s. The Estie cartridge holds about 1.5ml of ink if you fill it to the very top, and doing so also overfills it by just enough that the nipple on the section displaces enough ink that it's pushed up into the feed when you install the cartridge.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 14, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I've always been into fountain pens, starting with a Rotring Freeway that my grandparents got me as a "joke" gift when I graduated high school. Sort of a "oh, you're going off to college now, better be all prim and proper with your ~*fountain pen*~!"

Turns out I loved it! I have probably 10-15 at home in various styles and qualities. I've always used Parker Quink for whatever reason, mostly because it's just what I've always used!

Anyway, this week I bought a Lamy Safari with F nib, and a bottle of Noodler's Antietam. HOLY WOW. This combo writes better than some $100+ pens I've got. I've very impressed. The pen writes beautifully, it feels nice in the hand, it's super light-weight, and it was only $20-something! And the Antietam is an amazing shade of rusty-brownish-red that is exactly what I was looking for.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which $100+ pens is the Safari writing better than? Of the pens I own, the Safari my least favorite by a good margin, including stuff in the same/cheaper price category like the Pilot Metro and Pelikan Future.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

powderific posted:

Which $100+ pens is the Safari writing better than? Of the pens I own, the Safari my least favorite by a good margin, including stuff in the same/cheaper price category like the Pilot Metro and Pelikan Future.

The ones I'm referencing are a Taccia Strata, a Pelikan Epoch, and a Pelikan M200, all in medium.

I'm not saying the Lamy is an objectively better pen - I'm just saying that I'm highly surprised by how well it writes compared to much more expensive pens. But eh, different strokes!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whaaat, the Pelikan Epoch is one of my favorite writing pens ever. Shame that mine's all busted up and repairs would cost more than just buying another one. It is totally a personal thing though—I feel like my Lamy 2000 is the best writing pen I own, but it's actually easier for me to write legibly with a slightly scratchier nib.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Remember to tightly close the lids of your inks boys, mine wasn't completely sealed and it currently looks like a smurf pissed all over my hands. It's actually underneath my fingernails. :(

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, two questions. I saw a Pelikan M205 in Taupe and fell in love with it. I'm just not accustomed to nib sizing of Pelikan products. I usually go for XF nibs because I prefer the finest line possible, however I've decided that I'd like a pen that is a bit smoother or wetter than my usual XF nibs. I'm tempted to try a M nib, but since I have a feeling that Pelikan nibs are very broad by default, perhaps I should try an F nib instead. Can anyone with experience help me?

Also, how good is the secondary market for TWSBI pens? Have a TWSBI Mini EF that I want to get rid of. It's in perfect condition, but I just hate writing with it. It's too short uncapped, and too top heavy for my liking when capped. Since I generally prefer my pens uncapped anyways, I just have been kidding myself into believing that I'm satisfied with it. Since the Pelikan is kind of expensive, I feel like I could recoup some of the cost by selling my TWSBI, but I won't bother if a used TWSBI goes for peanuts. At that point, I'd just rather keep it.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Duro posted:

Also, how good is the secondary market for TWSBI pens? Have a TWSBI Mini EF that I want to get rid of. It's in perfect condition, but I just hate writing with it. It's too short uncapped, and too top heavy for my liking when capped. Since I generally prefer my pens uncapped anyways, I just have been kidding myself into believing that I'm satisfied with it. Since the Pelikan is kind of expensive, I feel like I could recoup some of the cost by selling my TWSBI, but I won't bother if a used TWSBI goes for peanuts. At that point, I'd just rather keep it.

About 6 months ago i saw them going for $5-10 less than list. I assume the market hasn't really changed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Can anyone comment on Noodler's X-Feather? I've been using my Pilot Metropolitan with Noodler's Borealis Black for about a month now, and the one (minor) annoyance I've had so far is with feathering. I don't really have the choice to use high-grade paper, since I've had to fill out a lot of worksheets and forms on cheap copy paper. The Metro's M nib is broad enough as it is, and the feathering just makes it worse.

Duro posted:

Ok, two questions. I saw a Pelikan M205 in Taupe and fell in love with it. I'm just not accustomed to nib sizing of Pelikan products. I usually go for XF nibs because I prefer the finest line possible, however I've decided that I'd like a pen that is a bit smoother or wetter than my usual XF nibs. I'm tempted to try a M nib, but since I have a feeling that Pelikan nibs are very broad by default, perhaps I should try an F nib instead. Can anyone with experience help me?

No personal experience, but maybe Goulet Nib Nook will help.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Duro posted:

I've got a white pelikan m205 in EF. Probably for the best that you don't want that nib. It's very scratchy with its stainless steel nib, even when compared to a cheap TWSBI, or a Safari. The Pelikan piston mechanism is very nice, and the finish is quite nice as well. It's a pity the nib is so disappointing. From what I understand the higher end models come with much better nibs, but gently caress if I'm going to dump more money into this thing. It was the one pen I paid full retail for, and I'm not hugely keen on dumping more on replacement gold nibs.

If you're dead set on getting the m205, a medium nib isn't AS scratchy. For the list price though, you could do a lot better in the nib department looking elsewhere.

Thelonious Monk fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 17, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Duro posted:

I'm tempted to try a M nib, but since I have a feeling that Pelikan nibs are very broad by default, perhaps I should try an F nib instead. Can anyone with experience help me?
The F is still pretty broad as Fs go. I tried out a few nibs in store when I got my M205 and I'm honestly not sure I could distinguish F and M in a double-blind test, at least not on the paper they were using.

I also agree that the cheaper Pelikan nibs are less than wonderful. They have some nice properties, they're not nails and can produce a little line variation if that's your thing, but mine is a hard starter and could be smoother.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess I don't mind a little feedback, I'm just surprised to see that the nibs on this relatively expensive pen aren't that great. I really love the look of the pen, but it retails very high at my local pen shop (and as nice as the staff usually is, it's one of the few pens they don't keep inked up so it's impossible for me to try the different nib sizes. Maybe if I went back and told them I'm dead set on buying the pen they'll let me, but I'd rather not make them go through the effort and then decide I don't like the nib and back off on the deal)...

I guess I'll sleep on this purchase a bit

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Testing out some De Atramentis Aubergine in my TWSBI with 1.5mm nib and it's the first ink that has zero starting/skipping issues in it. It bleeds a lot on cheap and even OK-ish paper though. I suppose that's probably the trade off that makes it work so well.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

The steel Pelikan nibs aren't really that great which is a shame as the M200 series are some nice pens. Their gold nibs are fantastic though. Very wet and smooth, though they do run a size or two larger than other manufacturers. The nib on my M400 sings when I write on nice smooth paper.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Vitamins posted:

The steel Pelikan nibs aren't really that great which is a shame as the M200 series are some nice pens. Their gold nibs are fantastic though. Very wet and smooth, though they do run a size or two larger than other manufacturers. The nib on my M400 sings when I write on nice smooth paper.

Man, "aren't really that great" is a massive understatement. Out of all my pens it is the most scratchy. I use it with sailor nano blue black as a beater pen. The nib is not as smooth as my lamy al-star (which I also abuse by exclusively using sailor nano black with). At least the safari gets used at work. My pelikan gets used to sign credit card receipts at most. It's the one pen that if I dropped I wouldn't really care about : at least with the lamy al-star I would go make an effort to replace it.

If money were no object and I work somewhere that doesn't require somewhat water resistant ink I would get multiple pilot custom 823's and use those exclusively. The nibs are amazing, and the filling system means I'm never out of ink. A true workhorse pen, but a bit more flashy than I would like. I'm super paranoid about the feed gumming up with my nano ink; therefore it only gets iroshizuku blues which is not a cheap choice.

That said I'm still down to get a pelikan m1000 with that massive 18k nib. I have nothing at all against pelikan. It's just the lovely steel nibs I hate.

Thelonious Monk fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 18, 2014

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Lately, folks have been mentioning Waterman inks, which I have never used and know literally nothing about, and it has got me curious (I mainly use noodlers and to a lesser extent iroshizuku). Anybody want to talk about Waterman inks in general and their experiences with them? What's good/bad, pro/con, what you liked and didn't like?

edit: I am curious about their inks in general, but also their Intense Black, Serenity Blue, and Tender Purple more specifically.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

wodan22 posted:

Lately, folks have been mentioning Waterman inks, which I have never used and know literally nothing about, and it has got me curious (I mainly use noodlers and to a lesser extent iroshizuku). Anybody want to talk about Waterman inks in general and their experiences with them? What's good/bad, pro/con, what you liked and didn't like?

edit: I am curious about their inks in general, but also their Intense Black, Serenity Blue, and Tender Purple more specifically.

I have none of those specific colors, but the blue-black that is called Mysterious Blue seems to be a standard test ink. I accidentally ordered a nice red from them, but I don't recall the name offhand. The ink is very well behaved, but I initially found the Mysterious Blue to be a bit boring. (That's why I have pushing 40 ink samples.) The red is my only true red, so I can't really compare it to anything. I tend to buy for exciting color, but I reach for Waterman when I need good behavior.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

milpreve posted:

I tend to buy for exciting color, but I reach for Waterman when I need good behavior.

Basically Waterman inks in a nutshell. Uninteresting but well-behaved.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I picked up a Parker IM pen on Amazon, and it's kinda nice but the ink it comes with is disappointing at best -- it dries to a very light blue. I have a Lamy converter sitting around, and a nearly full jar of Noodler's Ottoman Azure. Will I hurt it or the pen by jamming it into the Parker, or would I be better served just getting a Parker converter?

e. I murdered a smurf over lunch

Seemed to work pretty well.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 19, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a comparison of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks? Their Amazon page is iffy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a comparison of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks? Their Amazon page is iffy.

The Goulet Ink Compare Tool is pretty good for that. It's no match for seeing the ink swabs in person though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Has anyone tried the Jinhao or Hero lamy clones? Jinhao 599 or Hero 359.

If so, were they any good? They seem like they could be pretty good gifts.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Luisfe posted:

Has anyone tried the Jinhao or Hero lamy clones? Jinhao 599 or Hero 359.

If so, were they any good? They seem like they could be pretty good gifts.

pienipple posted:

So the Hero 359. It's a blatant Lamy Safari knockoff down to the converter knob being a dead ringer for the z26 :v:

Feels pretty ok, way lighter than a real Safari/Vista, nib has a bit more feedback (I hesitate to say scratchy because it isn't quite but you definitely feel it more than a real Lamy nib)

Couldn't get my z24 apart to sterilize it so I tossed it and bought a z26 since it looks nicer inside the Vista and they were on sale for like $2.75.

Might take pictures of the Hero and the clean and reassembled Vista later

pienipple posted:

By prying gently with a thin metal edge the nib popped off the Hero, it accepts Lamy nibs just fine! The stock one was just really jammed on there.

Lamy 1.1 italic on the Hero

stock Hero F nib

The Hero F seems to be comparable to my Pilot's M, so they seem to be using western sizing.

Overall it's ok but there's nothing to really recommend it over either a Metropolitan (same price) or a real Lamy Safari (~$10 more) unless you desperately want a Safari in purple or green and are willing to compromise on the quality of the pen. The only major differences are materials, fit and finish, and the Hero takes international standard short cartridges or converters. It comes with a 6 pack of cartridges and a converter that apes the Lamy z26.

The Lamy can balance on its clip but the Hero can't, it tips over because the cap is too light to counterbalance the weight of the ink.

I'm happy with it because it's purple and I don't feel bad leaving it in my desk at work in case someone breaks it like a doofus.

The Hero and Sheaffer live at work, the Metro and the Lamy are my personal pens that go everywhere with me.

Pilot Metro M v. Hero 359 F

Summary: they're good, super light weight, but ultimately not as nice in terms of function or aesthetics as a real Safari (or a Metropolitan, which is the same price as the Hero).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah, I have a 359 and while it's competent enough it's neither better than other pens in its price bracket nor a huge discount over the real lamy.

The scratchiness of the nib resolved after a few days of use and I find it quite comfortable to write with.