Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Seems like a cool place other than the fact that they don't know how to set up a Theros block draft correctly (BNG-THS-THS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ScarletBrother posted:

Seems like a cool place other than the fact that they don't know how to set up a Theros block draft correctly (BNG-THS-THS).

Doing it wrong and having two pods do it both incorrectly and differently is also very weird.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I thought Moxen were banned in EDH?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Cactrot posted:

Doing it wrong and having two pods do it both incorrectly and differently is also very weird.

Having some people do a pod with BNG-BNG-THS is fine; some people like opening more packs of the newer set. Technically, any pack distribution is fine if it's the same for everyone in the event.

If the 12 players was one tournament with two pods, there's a potential issue with everyone being ranked together, but as long as everyone only played within their pod, it's not like someone lost a match because of the different drafts, so while not technically correct, it was fair, which is pretty much all you need for a casual event like that.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I thought Moxen were banned in EDH?

They may have been playing Vintage.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
We were only paired by pods. Also, this was the only gaming store I have been to that had zero comic books or pen and paper type games. They had Warhammer and Warmachine stuff and a ton of painting supplies though. Zero girls or kids under 17 which was also odd.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nissir posted:

I roll him over fairly easily, after second game he complains I am using marked cards since I am using the stores basic lands with no sleeves, store owner tells him to stop being a bad sport. I pull out any possible lands that might be considered marked and feel like a cheater.

My friend from work ran into this at Game Day. He only really plays casually, and this was his first time actually playing with THS or BNG. He made a pretty good RU deck, given his total lack of any playable cards. It was pretty obvious which of his cards were lands. He used the store's lands which were beat to crap compared to his shiny new non-lands. He only ended up playing 2 rounds (he got the bye round 2 then dropped) so I don't think it really mattered.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Veyrall posted:

Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

I played Waterfront Bouncer as a 3-of in Extended UG Madness.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Veyrall posted:

Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

Greenseeker saw play in Rav - Time Spiral standard in G/B Dredge.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 19, 2014

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just curious, how do you guys organize your cards? Just got the first two of five Playsets I ordered. Sorted everything by set, color, and in order of mana cost... But I'm at a complete loss of an organized way to handle the multicolored stuff :downs:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, how do you guys organize your cards? Just got the first two of five Playsets I ordered. Sorted everything by set, color, and in order of mana cost... But I'm at a complete loss of an organized way to handle the multicolored stuff :downs:

It's all sitting in a box under my bed.

gently caress organization. Though I probably should go through it.

I know a guy who goes to both the LCSs I go to frequently and he went through his boxes of commons and uncommons and some rares, organized it, and cashed it all in.

Got about 100 in store cred and 120 in cash :stare:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I do mine by card number. Sorts everything by color and then alphabetically. They're on the bottom of the card: X/Y.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sab669 posted:

There are collectors numbers at the bottom of every card. Lands, artifacts, and gold stuff goes at the end. Within colors, organization is alphabetically.

EDIT: goddammit.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Mine are very roughly alphabetized. All the White A's are together etc. The key is if you are basically just starting keep SOME organization on it because it takes for loving ever to sort them out later when it is 1000 random white cards with no rhyme or reason.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Wizard Finance Protip of the Day: Hurry up or you'll miss out on the ongoing run on multi-format all-star Sewer Nemesis! buy bUY BUY!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I sort my cards by color, then type. Each color-type has an assigned box.

For multi-color cards, even split ones, I sort them by colors, if they're two-color, then split creatures from other types of spells. If they're more than two color, I just alphabetize them.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BXCX posted:

Wizard Finance Protip of the Day: Hurry up or you'll miss out on the ongoing run on multi-format all-star Sewer Nemesis! buy bUY BUY!

:crossarms:What in the world.

Sorting tip: I'm trying to catch up on sorting. It took me far too long to go through a box and toss out the advertisement cards. Throw them away first thing !

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

:crossarms:What in the world.

Sorting tip: I'm trying to catch up on sorting. It took me far too long to go through a box and toss out the advertisement cards. Throw them away first thing !

I have a sizable pile of ad cards because I know in 10-15 years that's what's going to be valuable since everyone's throwing them away now :smaug:

I acutaly keep them around because I use them as placeholders in my collection binders so I can tell the difference between cards I don't have and cards that are currently in decks.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BXCX posted:

I acutaly keep them around because I use them as placeholders in my collection binders so I can tell the difference between cards I don't have and cards that are currently in decks.

I did this for a while but I'm set for thousands of years. I also use old sleeves for this.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

BXCX posted:

Now this is a card that I wish was legal for Standard Dredge. I'd target myself all day.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sab669 posted:

MODO :smuggo:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sab669 posted:

Organize by set, then by color order, which goes WUBRG gold hybrid artifact land EXCEPT in Alara Reborn because everything was gold and really just gently caress that noise, then alphabetically

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Literally The Worst posted:

Organize by set, then by color order, which goes WUBRG gold hybrid artifact land EXCEPT in Alara Reborn because everything was gold and really just gently caress that noise, then alphabetically

I keep boxes of play sets of C/UC cards in the back of my closet, rares in a binder, and loose cards sorted by rarity in holiday gift boxes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sab669 posted:

This is going to sound :goonsay: but I really like sorting my cards, I get a great feeling of accomplishment looking at them. So I have my C/UCs in cardboard storage boxes organized by collector's number, with separators by color/gold/hybrid/artifact/land. Every time I open a booster I sort all of its cards where they belong. Rares and foils are in a binder; also in collector's number order, with older sets before newer sets, and non-rare foils at the back of each section also by set/collector's number. I know, I know, but I like flipping through them looking :downs:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BXCX posted:

Literally the only deck I have ever conceived playing this thing in is a Phenax EDH deck I made purely as an experiment about mythic rare UB mill legends so I'm mildly confused.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Actual good cards : marginal speculation targets :: Bitcoin : altcoins.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I want a pro to tweet about this awesome new Maelstrom Archangel Control brew they're working on that's undefeated against Pod just to see what happens.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is going to sound :goonsay: but I really like sorting my cards, I get a great feeling of accomplishment looking at them. So I have my C/UCs in cardboard storage boxes organized by collector's number, with separators by color/gold/hybrid/artifact/land. Every time I open a booster I sort all of its cards where they belong. Rares and foils are in a binder; also in collector's number order, with older sets before newer sets, and non-rare foils at the back of each section also by set/collector's number. I know, I know, but I like flipping through them looking :downs:

Where do you live? I'll pay you $10 an hour to clean up my collection :shobon: Just not enough time in the day...

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Where do you live? I'll pay you $10 an hour to clean up my collection :shobon: Just not enough time in the day...

No joke. I have tens of thousands of Cards and I'll happily give you a bunch if you come sort them.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
No joke I just realized sorting Magic cards for a living would be one of my favorite jobs ever.

I need some way to channel my OCD tendencies, I guess.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I still haven't figured out how best to do it. I mean I take out the usable/tradable stuff and put them in binders, but I'm enough of a hoarder I'm not sure what I should get rid of. Should I try to have a play set of everything if I ever want to build a cube? The block that has been around for about half of my time in the game being multicolour doesn't help sorting either.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Hah, I already have way too many cards, but if any goons live in eastern MA and really want their collections sorted I'll do it. If you weren't joking, that is. PM?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hah, I already have way too many cards, but if any goons live in eastern MA and really want their collections sorted I'll do it. If you weren't joking, that is. PM?

I'm absolutely serious but I live in Maryland, unfortunately.

I have a spare bedroom, though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Heh I'm only half serious but I'm in Seattle, so....

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kasonic posted:

No joke I just realized sorting Magic cards for a living would be one of my favorite jobs ever.

I need some way to channel my OCD tendencies, I guess.

You say this but it's terrible. I've been avoiding a massive sorting project at work for six months now.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don't mind sorting my cards, but I did the smart thing and got organized immediately. Like, I kept in collector number order when I had less than 500 cards, and integrating as I continue to acquire is really really easy.

That being said, the most annoying thing right now is dealing with half-full boxes. The cards keep falling down! :argh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Boxman posted:

I don't mind sorting my cards, but I did the smart thing and got organized immediately. Like, I kept in collector number order when I had less than 500 cards, and integrating as I continue to acquire is really really easy.

That being said, the most annoying thing right now is dealing with half-full boxes. The cards keep falling down! :argh:

I put a bar of soap still in its box in mine. Not only does it keep the cards standing up and fit perfectly in the space, it makes the box smell fresh too! :eng101:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Boxman posted:

I use deck boxes as my spacers.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

drat it! I used to live in Worcester up until a few months ago :v: Now I'm in Buffalo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

I use unsorted cards as my spacers.

• Locked thread