Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can I get some support in the We Love Fine contest?
https://contest.welovefine.com/vote.php?id_contest=67&id_submit=23976

https://contest.welovefine.com/vote.php?id_contest=67&id_submit=26845

Not that it's likely it'll result in a win, but hey, pages 17 and 33 out of 133 are above average.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think there are a lot of interesting discussion to come out of Homestuck Second Edition but the problem is in seeking the Definitive Homestuck Edit instead of discussing the multitude of options.

Because the Definitive Homestuck Edit is Homestuck Koos edition and the rest of us can't hope to achieve anything compared to that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's hard to talk about a webcomic that hasn't been updated for months, especially if you're used to a much faster update speed.

Here's something that kinda confuses me: what exactly is Rage? I think that one might be the least understood aspect, in no small part because Gamzee is such an hard-to-pin-down character.

Rage is anger and instability. The Bard class can either facilitate destruction "through" its aspect, or facilitate the destruction of its aspect, so Gamzee as the Bard of Rage initially destroys rage by drugging himself up, then facilitates destruction through rage by going off the sopor and letting his dark side run wild.

In this case, it's his class that's moderately confusing; rage is exactly what it says on the tin. If you had, for instance, a Thief of Rage, they'd likely just operate by stealing anger from other people and using it for themselves.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Android Blues posted:

Rage is anger and instability. The Bard class can either facilitate destruction "through" its aspect, or facilitate the destruction of its aspect, so Gamzee as the Bard of Rage initially destroys rage by drugging himself up, then facilitates destruction through rage by going off the sopor and letting his dark side run wild.

In this case, it's his class that's moderately confusing; rage is exactly what it says on the tin. If you had, for instance, a Thief of Rage, they'd likely just operate by stealing anger from other people and using it for themselves.
(emphasis mine)

Perhaps I misunderstood something here, but I thought the Bard class actually explicitly did the bolded, while the Prince class did the underlined. Hence Eridan destroying hope by eliminating the matriorb, while Dirk (intentionally or otherwise) creates multiple copies of his self - because he's the Prince of Heart, he's "destroying" (splitting) his "heart" (self.)

E: vvv No disagreement there.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

All that stuff about classes seems somewhat tacked on after the fact, like first Hussie came up with these cool titles for everyone and then he tried to explain what they meant and how they fit with what the corresponding character had done up to that point.

Still, the Prince seems like the class that does aspect stuff directly, like destroy hope by blowing up the thing Kanaya had her hope in. The bard's role is more of a facilitator, so Gamzee was either indirectly causing rage to be destroyed by being everyone's serene clown friend or indirectly destroying everyone with rage by giving up his drug habit and going nutso.

It's kind of weak, but like I said the whole thing seems pretty retroactive.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

(emphasis mine)

Perhaps I misunderstood something here, but I thought the Bard class actually explicitly did the bolded, while the Prince class did the underlined. Hence Eridan destroying hope by eliminating the matriorb, while Dirk (intentionally or otherwise) creates multiple copies of his self - because he's the Prince of Heart, he's "destroying" (splitting) his "heart" (self.)

E: vvv No disagreement there.

No, the difference between Bard and Prince is that Prince acts more directly (and, presumably, violently) to destroy things, while Bard facilitates events so that things are destroyed. They both have the same duality of "either destroys their aspect, or destroys things using their aspect", they just have different methods of going about it.

Like, in Gamzee's case, his being unhinged is a sort of force of nature that his actions serve either to curb or to let loose. Using sopor/going off the sopor are ways of modulating his rage so that it does different things. I think the idea is that his "direct" actions are altering his dose, and they facilitate his unstable emotional rampage/eerie placidity.

From what we've seen of Dirk and Eridan, a Prince of Rage would probably have less theatrics and happenstance surrounding the whole affair; they'd just smash things, or remove someone's anger in the same way as Dirk can suck out someone's soul. Which actually kinda fits with the way Kurloz, who is a Prince of Rage, can use his clown magicks to hypnotise people, making them pliant and suggestible.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Dolash posted:

All that stuff about classes seems somewhat tacked on after the fact, like first Hussie came up with these cool titles for everyone and then he tried to explain what they meant and how they fit with what the corresponding character had done up to that point.

(...)

That may be, but there are a lot of patterns or personality traits that seem to repeat themselves in characters with similar classes, to the point that I find it hard to believe he didn't at least had a rough idea of what they meant when he made them; if not of the single elements, at least of what they meant together.

For example, I've read an interesting theory that states that Knights have the aspect that their session lacks.
Even if word of God establishes this to be true,it doesn't mean that Hussie planned for this to be a feature of Knights when introducing Dave's role, but maybe with Karkat he did, and by the time he introduced Latula he probably was aware at least that some fans made the connection. Of course it's just a theory, but still.

On the subject of Gamzee and Rage: I think there's more of this aspect than it says on the tin. No other aspect seems to be exclusively linear in his meaning, with the possible exception of Breath, and even then most Breath players are similar enough to draw some conclusion.
I'll check out some more theories and share them, if that's okay.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dolash posted:

Still, the Prince seems like the class that does aspect stuff directly, like destroy hope by blowing up the thing Kanaya had her hope in. The bard's role is more of a facilitator, so Gamzee was either indirectly causing rage to be destroyed by being everyone's serene clown friend or indirectly destroying everyone with rage by giving up his drug habit and going nutso.

Also it seems kind of super boring and contrived and just a way to easily explain away why the characters do the things they do. Like, Bro keeps leaving weird copies of himself, constantly casting off the old self and trying something new. Well that's neat, why does he do that? Maybe he's unsure of who he is and what he wants so he keeps trying out new things to find that. Maybe he's some weirdo narcissist who just spreads himself everywhere. Or maybe he's afraid he can't handle all the poo poo he wants to do, so he creates these facsimiles so when they end up failing he can shrug it all off, lie to himself, and say "Well the robot me failed, so I didn't actually mess up!"

Oh wait no, he does this because that's what the Prince of Heart does. That's his predetermined Role in this game's Story. That's it. And even then that'd be fine if it was something the kids were growing into, but Hussie kind of just dropped the ball on that front of it. Like The God Tier roles seemed to start off as titles the kids would grow into and earn. John becomes the Heir, living up to his father (Remember all those sentimental notes his Dad left him? And how his dad kind of doted on him because he was worried?) and growing up into an actual adult? Maybe Dave, the Knight, would stop trying to guard his own feelings with that irony stuff and learn to accept it and let his friends in, going from artificially detached to emotionally attached or maybe Loyal to his friends and aiding them?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The titles are retroactive descriptions of what all the characters do. They were probably invented by Calliope, who thinks that "discovered" is the correct verb to use in that clause.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The titles are retroactive descriptions of what all the characters do. They were probably invented by Calliope, who thinks that "discovered" is the correct verb to use in that clause.

I don't think that's really true for the original kids though? Like it only became descriptive of them at the end of their journey. It doesn't really fit them at all for the first parts of their journey since, while they're all sort of trying to be those things, they're all kind of failing at those heroic titles. Because they were growing into them. That's the point.

I feel like it's only retroactive for the Trolls/Guardians because we kind of skipped over characterizing them well and in the Guardians' cases we skipped over the part where they get those titles thanks to the Trickster mode poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What I'm trying to say is that bladekindeyewear is trying to understand what his future self was thinking when he went back in time to give the finished version of his stupid manifesto to Andrew Hussie, who found it hilarious and included the titles in the story as a reference to it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

What I'm trying to say is that bladekindeyewear is trying to understand what his future self was thinking when he went back in time to give the finished version of his stupid manifesto to Andrew Hussie, who found it hilarious and included the titles in the story as a reference to it.

This is an acceptable answer.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also it seems kind of super boring and contrived and just a way to easily explain away why the characters do the things they do. Like, Bro keeps leaving weird copies of himself, constantly casting off the old self and trying something new. Well that's neat, why does he do that? Maybe he's unsure of who he is and what he wants so he keeps trying out new things to find that. Maybe he's some weirdo narcissist who just spreads himself everywhere. Or maybe he's afraid he can't handle all the poo poo he wants to do, so he creates these facsimiles so when they end up failing he can shrug it all off, lie to himself, and say "Well the robot me failed, so I didn't actually mess up!"

Oh wait no, he does this because that's what the Prince of Heart does. That's his predetermined Role in this game's Story. That's it. And even then that'd be fine if it was something the kids were growing into, but Hussie kind of just dropped the ball on that front of it. Like The God Tier roles seemed to start off as titles the kids would grow into and earn. John becomes the Heir, living up to his father (Remember all those sentimental notes his Dad left him? And how his dad kind of doted on him because he was worried?) and growing up into an actual adult? Maybe Dave, the Knight, would stop trying to guard his own feelings with that irony stuff and learn to accept it and let his friends in, going from artificially detached to emotionally attached or maybe Loyal to his friends and aiding them?

I see it like this: it's not that Dirk leaves around copies of himself because he's the Prince of Heart, but he's the Prince of Heart because he leaves around copies of himself. Their roles aren't a justification or a reason for their action; they're more like a label put on the characters, to give you a general idea of what you can expect from them.

And even then it's not a definitive: we've seen that it's possile to strain from your designed classpect. Before accepting her role as Seer of Light, Rose wasn't a guide from behind the curtains, she was a doer who was halfway through destroying her own land and possibly the game before she was stopped.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 20, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

I see it like this: it's not that Dirk leaves around copies of himself because he's the Prince of Heart, but he's the Prince of Heart because he leaves around copies of himself. Their roles aren't a justification or a reason for their action; they're more like a label put on the characters, to give you a general idea of what you can expect from them.

And even then it's not a definitive: we've seen that it's possile to strain from your designed classpect. Before accepting her role as Seer of Light, Rose wasn't a guide from behind the curtains:, she was a doer who was halfway through destroying her own land and possibly the game before she was stopped.

But at point the titles and how they're assigned and what they actually mean for the characters is kind of schizophrenic and just not coherent. I guess I'd be fine with it if Dirk was like the Exception to the rule, but it seems like for half the cast the titles were based on their static/starting personality and the other half it was based on their character development and where they were set to end up at, so it feels like there's no real rules for it so it's just kind of a nonsense thing w/r/t the story.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
You heard it here first folks, plot element in homestuck actually nonsense thing w/r/t the story

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Death Bot posted:

You heard it here first folks, plot element in homestuck actually nonsense thing w/r/t the story

You're begging the question. Why do you think characters' titles were originally intended to be 'plot elements', as opposed to flavor that evoked the idea of 'fictional videogame/mythmaking tool'?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So the epilogue panels are leaking already.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Nice. Jade looks like quite the babe in this one.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wait, which one of them would be Future Karkat :confused:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

RZApublican posted:

Wait, which one of them would be Future Karkat :confused:

The one looking away. He knows his past self is going to take a peek at Jade and he's preparing himself to berate him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
you guys really want to get this thread closed huh

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've seen worse.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

That's just no good.

There's gonna be no room to wash their hair or anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

It's just koos, don't judge him.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
This doesn't make any sense. Trolls can't take baths, all their makeup would come off

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Koos is an admin, he'd never allow this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

koos, tell us about the symbolism in that picture.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

koos, tell us about the symbolism in that picture.

The Karkats are more embarrassed to be seeing each other than Jade, because their pathological belief that they are irreconcilably different would be challenged by the total similarity of their bodies. They're the opposite of past and future Daves, who would scrub each others' backs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

El Kooserino posted:

They're the opposite of past and future Daves, who would scrub each others' backs.

But not in a gay way or anything. No chrono.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Gross.

That bathtub needs a loving wash.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

But not in a gay way or anything. No chrono.
Rose would have something to say about this.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Let's shut up about the lovely classpects and menage a Koos and talk about Stoner Nepeta instead.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
nepeta suddenly elevated to best troll

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I never found stoner jokes to be all that funny, honestly.
But if we're talking about alternate character interpretation, I'll say that I have a sweet spot for Toddlerstuck.
There's something inherently pleasant in taking the universe-shaking events in Homestuck and put them in a pre-school context.
edit: eliminated link because it's against the rules to post fanfiction. Sorry about that.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 23, 2014

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
What the hell did I just read?

Time to close this thread again.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's just a weird ask blog and fanfiction hybrid. It's not high literature but it looks harmless enough to me.
Also, why "again"? Does this thread get closed often?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 23, 2014

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's just a weird ask blog and fanfiction hybrid. It's not high literature but it looks harmless enough to me.
Also, why "again"? Does this thread get closed often?

I think that was less about the immediately previous post and more about us talking about two Karkats in a tub with Jade. This thread usually gets closed during extended hiatuses because cabin fever hits Homestuck readers pretty hard.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

I think that was less about the immediately previous post and more about us talking about two Karkats in a tub with Jade. This thread usually gets closed during extended hiatuses because cabin fever hits Homestuck readers pretty hard.

Maybe the Internet made me too jaded about this but the tone seemed jokeful enough not to come across as creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I was more freaked out by the Toddler thing. It wasn't creepy as much as :wtc: