Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Pvt.Scott posted:

The first English novel was the King James Bible, you Godless heathens.

Novel implies that the work is fictional, so YOUR actually the heathen here :colbert:! (Or is that :thejoke:? :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CountFosco posted:

What is a "true novel" though? I feel like these strange exclusions are made just so that people can keep putting forward Pamela as the first English novel. Put a copy of Robinson Crusoe in the hands of 99% of people and ask them if its a novel. I'm guessing your professor was just set in his ways. There's a repeated line of literary history and deviations are scoffed at until they're accepted.

The problem from what I can see is that a lot of these early or pre-novel books (however you care to define them) is that they're all episodic and based on a number of exploits, thus making them more like a short story collection based around a single protagonist than a unified narrative arc. The reason anyone goes with Pamela is because it's the first native-English long-form fictional narrative about a closely related series of events which involves no supernatural forces and uses (for the time) a realistic set of characters. And yes, that is extremely pedantic, but when you're a literary critic, pedantry is what you live and breathe. Besides, however quibbling you are regarding the history of the novel, it's worth noting that Pamela is decidedly enough of one that it's the last book on the list.

PS Don't read Pamela. The original Beauty and the Beast tale depicted a healthier relationship than the one in that book.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The problem from what I can see is that a lot of these early or pre-novel books (however you care to define them) is that they're all episodic and based on a number of exploits, thus making them more like a short story collection based around a single protagonist than a unified narrative arc.

Don Quixote is quite episodic, and filled with side-stories and random poems/sonnets and whatever crazy stuff Cervantes came up with. I'd love to find the literary critic that would have the balls to call one of the first novels not a novel.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I am going to have to pick up the book from the University Library later it sounds like an interesting read. But if she really wanted to spice her book up she should have added CHUDs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Don Quixote is quite episodic, and filled with side-stories and random poems/sonnets and whatever crazy stuff Cervantes came up with. I'd love to find the literary critic that would have the balls to call one of the first novels not a novel.

Greatest literary work of all time? Yeah sure, if you're into anthologies :rolleyes:

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Greatest literary work of all time? Yeah sure, if you're into anthologies :rolleyes:

How Quixotic.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The problem from what I can see is that a lot of these early or pre-novel books (however you care to define them) is that they're all episodic and based on a number of exploits, thus making them more like a short story collection based around a single protagonist than a unified narrative arc.
And yet without even thinking about it I can cite "Trainspotting" as a random example of a book that literally is a short story collection, doesn't even restrict itself to a single protagonist, but is so far as I am aware universally and uncontroversially considered a novel. I guess 20th-century works are held to different standards than 18th-century works because reasons.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

PS Don't read Pamela. The original Beauty and the Beast tale depicted a healthier relationship than the one in that book.

You showed the cover of Shamela and Joseph Andrews, but I was disappointed that you didn't actually talk about them. Henry Fielding tore Pamela to shreds in Shamela, and then in Joseph Andrews he did it again, as well as tearing apart every other hypocrisy of his time.

Huh, just discovered that there's a fim of Joseph Andrews. The tag line: 'The story of a young English footman who served the Lady Booby but loved the little Fanny'. Hehehehe.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Novellas are absolutely a thing, friends. :)

I don't think what constitutes a "novel" has ever been definitively nailed down. Which is a good thing, imo.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

loving incredible thread dude

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm feeling pretty good about today's episode. The plot has reached a turning point, I broke and exploited the game in several distinct and interesting ways, the Science Corner is on a subject I enjoy, I got to use three Dees Illustrations, and the music selection picked itself.

Handouts:

Airfield Satellite Image
East Gate Key
Hangar Code
747 Diagram
Midnight Sun: Black Helicopters

Known misses: A couple of crates lost in the maze of cargo containers.

PS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oornvJJfR6M

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 25, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Paul's little "ROCKEFELLER BANKERS UN ONE WORLD GUBMINT :byodood:" rant always made me laugh. It makes him sound like a ridiculous loon. You'd think something like "I uncovered evidence that the Grey Death vaccine manufacturer is intentionally limiting the supply and hiding the method of making it. I'm working with the NSF to get this shipment to someone who can analyze it and spread the knowledge of how it's made, to remove their monopoly of its production." would work better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Man, and here I was expecting the conspiracy corner to cover the possibility of a one-world government or at least debunk some of the fear-mongering around it.

I will settle for SCIENCE! :science:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

In Science Corner, you say wings create lift because of the different distance air has to travel over a curved surface versus a straight one. This is not correct. If it was, sails would not work. Here's a link explaining it better than I can: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/how-wings-really-work

Other than that, though, I totally agree. Science rules. And this game rules, too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

pun pundit posted:

In Science Corner, you say wings create lift because of the different distance air has to travel over a curved surface versus a straight one. This is not correct. If it was, sails would not work. Here's a link explaining it better than I can: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/how-wings-really-work

Other than that, though, I totally agree. Science rules. And this game rules, too.

Yeah, I found out that Newton has more to do with keeping a wing aloft than Bernoulli when I was hunting through images, but it should be said that Bernoulli helps keep wings stable and upright. Making the corners is a learning experience for me, as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of the science corner I was sorta disappointed in the omission of the cancelled RAH-66 Comanche project that was going to be a Stealth helicopter and that most certainly served as a basis for the Ghosthawk/Stealthawk/Silenthawk helicopters.
I almost think that Jock's chopper is partly inspired by the Comanche in terms of looks but then sorta spruced up a bit.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Paul Denton posted:

ROCKEFELLERS! ONE-WORLD GOVERNMENT! CONSPIRACY OF BANKERS! ABLOO BLOO BLOO!

God, Paul is so full of poo poo. 'Only the wealthy stand to gain from world government!' As though regionalism isn't something kept alive primarily BY the wealthy, for the explicit reason that it's easier to make disgusting amounts of money with limited oversight. Next he'll tell me single-payer healthcare is a communist plot to poison our groundwater and start asking to see Manderley's birth certificate. :tinfoil:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Where did you get your information that sound waves are a part of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Sound is a mechanical wave as compared to an electromagnetic wave, does not travel in a vacuum, and has properties distinctly different from electromagnetic waves (being longitudinal rather than transverse in waveform, and travelling significantly slower in any medium).

(Yes, I'm starting to feel like an rear end in a top hat nitpicking the last two videos since I'm still enjoying them, but it had to be said).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
See, even internet science-types can't agree about simple things! Their faith in the so-called scientific method falls apart quickly under scrutiny. Unlike those who stay true to the immutable truths of their faith, these science-worshipers will flock to whatever new evidence claims to validate their agenda.*

*Paraphrasing a conversation I had the other day. Sigh.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Kytrarewn posted:

Where did you get your information that sound waves are a part of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Sound is a mechanical wave as compared to an electromagnetic wave, does not travel in a vacuum, and has properties distinctly different from electromagnetic waves (being longitudinal rather than transverse in waveform, and travelling significantly slower in any medium).

(Yes, I'm starting to feel like an rear end in a top hat nitpicking the last two videos since I'm still enjoying them, but it had to be said).

Nitpicking is better than letting bad information get propagated. I for one was grinding my teeth when Bobbin said sound was an electromagnetic wave.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, that required me to re-watch that part to make sure I didn't hear it wrong.

Anyway, the voice of that airplane mechanic never fails to make me laugh.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I know that you get some extra dialog, if you kill the NSF guys before you start talking to Paul. I don't know if it is the same, if you kill them after you talk to Paul.

Also: Turretts destroy Bots? You can get on top of the plane? :vince:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Yeah, I found out that Newton has more to do with keeping a wing aloft than Bernoulli when I was hunting through images, but it should be said that Bernoulli helps keep wings stable and upright. Making the corners is a learning experience for me, as well.

Stick and Rudder simplifies it as basically "The Wing pushes air down. Something being pushed down gives an equal and opposite reaction, which means by pushing the air down, the wing generates an upward force". It's always seemed pretty sensible without going into the specifics of aerodynamics.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

the music selection picked itself.

I could pick out the Airwolf theme and Top Gun, solid choices. Not sure what you used between the two.

Gregen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 24, 2014

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/bernnew.html

NASA has a really great page on the whole "Bernoulli v. Newton" thing, concerning airplane wings. Basically, both Bernoulli's and Newton's laws can be used to calculate the lift, but the simplistic models people come up with to explain why are misleading.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

DatonKallandor posted:

Stick and Rudder simplifies it as basically "The Wing pushes air down. Something being pushed down gives an equal and opposite reaction, which means by pushing the air down, the wing generates an upward force". It's always seemed pretty sensible without going into the specifics of aerodynamics.
The wing pushing the air down causes an equal and opposite reaction on the wing from the air, which causes lift? I guess all forces on an object in equilibrium are equal, but some are more equal than others. :v:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Paul's little "ROCKEFELLER BANKERS UN ONE WORLD GUBMINT :byodood:" rant always made me laugh. It makes him sound like a ridiculous loon. You'd think something like "I uncovered evidence that the Grey Death vaccine manufacturer is intentionally limiting the supply and hiding the method of making it. I'm working with the NSF to get this shipment to someone who can analyze it and spread the knowledge of how it's made, to remove their monopoly of its production." would work better.

It's amazing how he thinks the best way to convince his brother is to regurgitate at him every conspiracy theory ever, complete with the Jews and bankers running the world. He probably realizes it in the middle, because he pretty much gives up and tells you that his terrorist new boss is better at this.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Faraday Cage posted:

The wing pushing the air down causes an equal and opposite reaction on the wing from the air, which causes lift? I guess all forces on an object in equilibrium are equal, but some are more equal than others. :v:

Well it's gravity dragging the wing down and the engine dragging it forward, which gives it a forward-down sort of motion against the air. It's not like the wing magically pushes against the air - it's basically in the way as the plane tries to fall to the ground.

But yeah Paul trying to be convincing is really bad. "Here's some ridiculous things without any proof! Join the Rebellion!". Of course the voice in your head guy and all your UNATCO agent buddies start being straight up evil at this point.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 24, 2014

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Faraday Cage posted:

It's not really in equilibrium, though? Atmospheric craft that rely on wings for lift also rely on the movement of air. You've got the wings moving forward, which have unequal effects on the air above the wing and below the wing. You can buy the explanation of the curvature of the wing causing the air above the wing to be lower pressure than the air above the wing (the Bernoulli principle) which causes the higher pressure zone below the wing to exert a greater pressure than the air above the wing, causing a net upwards force.

Alternatively, you can look for the explanation where the angle of the wings means that air that strikes the wings from the front is hitting at an angle so that the wings (and by extension the rest of the plane) are naturally forced upwards, and at sufficient forward speed this counteracts gravity.

Both answers are correct - Newton's AND Bernoulli's principles are both in play here.

As far as the whole "wing pushes air down", you're looking at it from the perspective of the wing actually exerting a downwards force on the air by pushing down. It doesn't - it moves forward, and air is forced out of the way. If you take a pile of sand, and drag a broom handle or a stick through it, you'll find that the while the broom handle may be going in one direction, when you drag it through the sand the sand gets displaced to either side - in very general terms, air does the same thing as the sand and the broom handle is the wing. A wing that is shaped differently will force the air to move past it in different ways, and by adjusting that and tweaking the shape you experience different aerodynamic properties (drag, lift, etc).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Agent Interrobang posted:

God, Paul is so full of poo poo. 'Only the wealthy stand to gain from world government!' As though regionalism isn't something kept alive primarily BY the wealthy, for the explicit reason that it's easier to make disgusting amounts of money with limited oversight. Next he'll tell me single-payer healthcare is a communist plot to poison our groundwater and start asking to see Manderley's birth certificate. :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure they deliberately wrote Paul to sound insane in that scene. At this point in the plot you're supposed to be wondering what's going on and floundering a little bit, and having your eminently stable brother suddenly start flipping his poo poo about one-world government UN banker conspiracies just feeds into that confusion.

Of course, the best walkthrough of Deus Ex also has the canonical way of dealing with Lebedev: knock him out and take him with you. Nobody can sneakily execute him if you're carrying him! Then you just drop him off somewhere safe, like Tracer Tong's place. The papers will say he died, but we all know what really happened.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
I was poking fun at the Stick and Rudder (mis?)quote in the post I quoted, I thought the smiley would've given it away but I guess not.

Back to Deus Ex, I don't think I've ever actually explored much of this area in my playthroughs other than the dock, I don't recall ever seeing that electrified area at all. I guess I just always make a beeline straight for the plane, though it doesn't really look like I've been missing much in any case.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Are the Mexico-Russia relations a thing that get a lot of attention in conspiracy theories? I've never heard anything about it before you pointing out Juan Lebedev's name in the Polsy description, so I have no idea how predominant this sort of thing is. Is that the only noteworthy country-origin name combination in the game, too?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DatonKallandor posted:

Of course the voice in your head guy and all your UNATCO agent buddies start being straight up evil at this point.
Straight up evil? Son, if you think the mere extrajudicial killing of a terrorist leader is "straight up evil" then I'm gonna have to ask you to explain why you hate America so bad.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I think that tower is the first place you can get the GEP gun if you don't get it at the start. Ah, first playthrough mistakes. But I never knew about the mechanic in the hangar, another sufferer of Deus Ex Voice Acting Syndrome.

Of course, Lyle Zapato is your man for the real truth about black helicopters.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Speed enhancement, bitches. :hehe:

Great job on the science corner for this episode. I noticed the sound wave classification, but the episode addressed a lot of things that made things a lot more interesting.

I'm also glad that you covered chemtrails. I've been a long time fan of Prince and had accepted that he lives in his own little world. When he insisted that an entire interview be about chemtrails is when I realized he is a complete wingnut.

˅˅˅˅˅˅˅

I'm sure Bill Nye is very merciful for people who want to promote scientific interests.

Yvershek fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 25, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oornvJJfR6M

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Incidentally, chemtrails are basically one of Dees' favorite things, right up there with hating Jews. He'll stick them in pretty much anything he does that has a blue sky:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Sound does not travel at ~300,000,000m/s. That's light, and other similar things.

Sound, at Sea Level air pressure, no humidity and 20'C, moves at ~343 m/s. About 87500x difference.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

Incidentally, chemtrails are basically one of Dees' favorite things, right up there with hating Jews. He'll stick them in pretty much anything he does that has a blue sky:

Soviets teamed up with satanists teamed up with...pirates, apparently? Perfect, no one will ever suspect them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Soviets teamed up with satanists teamed up with...pirates, apparently? Perfect, no one will ever suspect them!

From left to right: Freemasons, the Skull and Bones secret society at Yale, Jews (sorry, I mean ZIONISTS), The Illuminati, Satanists, and Communists.

Pirates would have been an improvement, I think. You could definitely get up to some awesome conspiracy shenanigans with pirates.

• Locked thread