Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FOX News host Bill Hemmer: "It took us 2,000 years to find Noah’s Ark. Do we ever find flight 370?"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fox-news-host-noahs-ark-flight-370

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

beatlegs posted:

FOX News host Bill Hemmer: "It took us 2,000 years to find Noah’s Ark.

So what's the Nobel equivalent for archaeology since Hemmer's apparently found the greatest historical discovery of all time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So what's the Nobel equivalent for archaeology since Hemmer's apparently found the greatest historical discovery of all time.

You know, I always forget the great Assyrian discovery of the Ark.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

BiggerBoat posted:

Is this thread now about about picking on left wing comedians? It's OK and an interesting derail as derails go (at least it's not another Bill Maher derail), but it's weird to watch a thread designed to lampoon and document Rush, Hannity and FOX - people who lampoon themselves everyday and spew stupid, unfunny lies every day as a matter of discourse - nitpick guys like Stewart and Colbert for having the audacity to be polite, sympathetic and funny.

I can't agree more. I love reading this thread to find out (and occasionally become angry about) the single-mindedness of the right wing media. Kind of the "you have to know your enemy" mentality. To watch certain posters become enraged that people (especially corporately employed comedians) aren't doing the same thing for their side of the political spectrum baffles me. This strikes me as the pot calling the kettle black.

And on another note, that Steve Almond piece drove me nuts. I read the posted article and and checked out his site, CV, and another article he wrote on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and don't much care for him. I'm not going to apologize for everything Jon Stewart does, but give him a loving break on his post-9/11 show. Stewart lived in NYC and watched his loving view from his home change because of what happened that day. As someone who watched both towers fall, and saw people jumping, from my office that day, I have to say that it is something that will never leave your mind. Just have some loving sympathy and allow him to change up his show for one night. The world isn't all purist left-wing ideologies hashed out at coffee houses at Wesleyan.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Help me to decide what to think about pando. Seriously. On the one hand, it has some kind of working relationship with the guys from The Exiled and nsfwcorp but, on the other they are in an ongoing pissing match with Glenn Greenwald, which I could care less about in that it really centers on complaints against his new employer, Pierre Omidyar, who happens to also be the new employer of Matt Taibbi. I really don't care about the Omidyar hate but, some of the recent articles I've read in pandodaily seem particularly skewed with a conservative, laissez-faire bias. Does anyone else have a take on pando?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pando bought nsfwcorp last year as part of their expansion into investigative journalism, along with hiring David Sirota from Salon. They're originally a tech news site, so that's why you get the lovely pro-business stuff too.

Of course them bitching about Greenwald having a corporate sugar daddy when they're funded by Peter Thiel and Marc Anderssen is rich as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pando reads like Bay Area swill to be honest. Stick to what you already know and trust, also their website looks like what happens when malware changes your homepage.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

He was also a 9/11 truther. As one of his biggest fans this disappointed me greatly but gave me solace in the idea that maybe he chose the right moment in time to kill himself.

Is this thread now about about picking on left wing comedians? It's OK and an interesting derail as derails go (at least it's not another Bill Maher derail), but it's weird to watch a thread designed to lampoon and document Rush, Hannity and FOX - people who lampoon themselves everyday and spew stupid, unfunny lies every day as a matter of discourse - nitpick guys like Stewart and Colbert for having the audacity to be polite, sympathetic and funny.

Yeah I mean one of the reasons I don't mind how Stewart and Colbert conduct themselves is because they understand that the nutjobs that believe what Fox tells them are not bad people, they're just scared and want somebody to tell them how to think.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slow Graffiti posted:

I can't agree more. I love reading this thread to find out (and occasionally become angry about) the single-mindedness of the right wing media. Kind of the "you have to know your enemy" mentality. To watch certain posters become enraged that people (especially corporately employed comedians) aren't doing the same thing for their side of the political spectrum baffles me. This strikes me as the pot calling the kettle black.

I don't think anyone expects them to engage in disinformation like the right (besides, the Marxist Truth isn't disinformation :ssh:). If my bitching and that of others adds up to anything coherent, it's frustration that people think they're mainlining real politics when they watch TDS.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

SedanChair posted:

I don't think anyone expects them to engage in disinformation like the right (besides, the Marxist Truth isn't disinformation :ssh:). If my bitching and that of others adds up to anything coherent, it's frustration that people think they're mainlining real politics when they watch TDS.

That I agree with. People expressly using Colbert and TDS for their news is quite sad. I'd like to hope that people were smarter than that. However, I'm old enough to realize that's just a dream. Still, that Steve Almond seems like a real sanctimonious poo poo to me.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

SedanChair posted:

It's also a general frustration that the Overton window has been shifted so far to the right by these people that it's basically impossible for anyone remotely representative of the average poster's views to have a platform.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Slow Graffiti posted:

That I agree with. People expressly using Colbert and TDS for their news is quite sad. I'd like to hope that people were smarter than that. However, I'm old enough to realize that's just a dream. Still, that Steve Almond seems like a real sanctimonious poo poo to me.

The jab at Stewart's 9/11 coverage is out of line, but I think the rest is pretty spot on. If I'm derailing the thread too much here I'd be glad to stop this avenue of discussion or move it elsewhere.

Take this Bill Burr clip for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJty38k7n4

This aired on the exact same network and Bill was in fact introduced by Stewart, and yet this clip is many times more politically honest (and funnier, I'd argue) than anything that Stewart or Colbert have done with perhaps the only exceptions being the Correspondent's Dinner, the Jim Cramer takedown, and the Crossfire appearance. What Bill Burr has to say here is not only funny but also challenging, confrontational even. He doesn't merely pay lip service to things like economic justice or the environment or what have you, he's actually willing to stand up there and joke about how the Emperor has no clothes. Stewart and Colbert always seem to stop just short of that, and yet everyone lauds them as genuine cultural/political critics. If Stewart and Colbert were willing to be a little more edgy like Burr is here, what folks like me and Steve Almond have to say would be rendered moot.

Your Sledgehammer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 20, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slow Graffiti posted:

The Daily Show's old advertising slogan used to be "The Daily Show, where more Americans get their news than probably should."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Good Citizen posted:

So radio host and noted cranky old man Dennis Prager is co-hosting a fundraiser for Mitch McConnell and thehill decided to pull up some greatest hits including

A two article series from 2008 explaining how married women are obligated to have sex with their husbands even if they aren't in the mood:
http://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2008/12/23/when_a_woman_isnt_in_the_mood_part_i/page/full
http://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2008/12/30/when_a_woman_isnt_in_the_mood_part_ii/page/full
It was pretty funny to hear him on the air today defending the articles and calling the article from thehill another phony prop in the war on women narrative.

Is this guy married? Do I even want to know? :gonk:

P.S. it's not the rest of us who have sex drives more like animals, it's just you.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

StandardVC10 posted:

Is this guy married? Do I even want to know? :gonk:

P.S. it's not the rest of us who have sex drives more like animals, it's just you.

Divorced, I think. Can't imagine why

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah I mean one of the reasons I don't mind how Stewart and Colbert conduct themselves is because they understand that the nutjobs that believe what Fox tells them are not bad people, they're just scared and want somebody to tell them how to think.

At what point do you hold people responsible for causing harm through ignorance? I think we all understand that most people who support legislation that fucks the poor don't actually hate the poor, but at some point motive is irrelevant to the reality of human suffering.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Please dear god tell me at least some of you listened to Hannity today.
Hannity had on some 'Dr' to debate the evils of marijuana with whatever his liberal debate lady he uses as a regular abject joke is.
The doctor is introduced and within about 20 seconds of starting off he uses the phrases "god-brain" and 'erection' and even Hannity knows he's in for a ride.

He spends the rest of the interview trying REAL bad to make it seem like his regular liberal dumb-rear end girl is getting beat down, but there are times during the interview where you can FEEL him pause in disbelief when 'the good doctor' says "maybe prohibition didn't go far ENOUGH".

There's a part in the interview where there's a cross-talk about physical activity helping your overall mental state, and Hannity says "<whatever her name is> you wore your yoga stuff into the studio, doesn't that activity make you feel good?" And she answers him, kindly, by saying "Yeah, Sean, it does, and I think that..." and the "Dr." literally says, on air "And nice delts by the way", and you can just hear her cringe as she continues "yeaaaa...uh.."

I don't have a link because I don't care enough to look up most of the stuff these jackasses are saying, but my god, I hope a couple of you caught that.

edit: also, the "Dr." compares the disease of addiction to syphilis. Repeatedly refers to addiction and drug and alcohol abuse as "the failure of morals", "generational failing", and more.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 20, 2014

Dr. Van Nostrum
Sep 14, 2007

Your Sledgehammer posted:

The jab at Stewart's 9/11 coverage is out of line, but I think the rest is pretty spot on. If I'm derailing the thread too much here I'd be glad to stop this avenue of discussion or move it elsewhere.

Take this Bill Burr clip for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJty38k7n4

This aired on the exact same network and Bill was in fact introduced by Stewart, and yet this clip is many times more politically honest (and funnier, I'd argue) than anything that Stewart or Colbert have done with perhaps the only exceptions being the Correspondent's Dinner, the Jim Cramer takedown, and the Crossfire appearance.

Are you Bill Burr? There are probably gifs of Colbert expressing basic human emotion that are funnier than that video.

In other news: Fox are super outraged that Obama is doing, saying or thinking anything that doesn't involve Vladimir Putin.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/03/19/right-wing-madness-over-obamas-ncaa-tournament/198539

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Dr. Van Nostrum posted:

In other news: Fox are super outraged that Obama is doing, saying or thinking anything that doesn't involve Vladimir Putin.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/03/19/right-wing-madness-over-obamas-ncaa-tournament/198539

So more like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Holo-textbooks of the future should have only this video for their section on 2000-2008, it is the perfect 20 second summary of the bush years.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I really think we should start a political standup thread. I'd start it but there are probably better OPs than 100 Paul Mooney youtubes embedded in a single post. to you

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
An authoritarian bashing on gays and women is apparently all it takes for the little Quislings in the US to reveal themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyYjQUKD5fQ

If we do go to war, keep an eye out for these bozos as collaborators.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spacedad posted:

An authoritarian bashing on gays and women is apparently all it takes for the little Quislings in the US to reveal themselves.

People who praise dictators are covetous of the power that they have over others. Billy Graham was a reactionary piece of poo poo, and his son is obviously cut from the same cloth.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Spacedad posted:

Not that he's wrong on his points, but the anchor in this video is so annoying I couldn't finish watching it.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

radical meme posted:

Help me to decide what to think about pando. Seriously. On the one hand, it has some kind of working relationship with the guys from The Exiled and nsfwcorp but, on the other they are in an ongoing pissing match with Glenn Greenwald, which I could care less about in that it really centers on complaints against his new employer, Pierre Omidyar, who happens to also be the new employer of Matt Taibbi. I really don't care about the Omidyar hate but, some of the recent articles I've read in pandodaily seem particularly skewed with a conservative, laissez-faire bias. Does anyone else have a take on pando?

Pando is feuding with Greenwald precisely because of their acquisition of NSFWCorp. Ames and Levine have hated Greenwald for years, and of course there is also bad blood between Ames and Taibbi from their work on the eXile.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

radical meme posted:

It would be nice if they went back to writing about things I could bring myself to care about instead of tech industry locker room towel-snapping. Also, as others have said already, their site is laid out like complete bullshit.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 20, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Zeroisanumber posted:

People who praise dictators are covetous of the power that they have over others. Billy Graham was a reactionary piece of poo poo, and his son is obviously cut from the same cloth.

Yep. Authoritarian scum is authoritarian scum, and there are eager little Quislings in every nation on the planet who would jump at the chance to open the door for a tyrant.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a high-resolution image of those dozens and dozens of fox news reports that were heavily slanted? I'm trying to use it in a debate.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Does anyone have a high-resolution image of those dozens and dozens of fox news reports that were heavily slanted? I'm trying to use it in a debate.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608712

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: Nevermind. Thanks dude.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Billy Graham had principles. Franklin Graham doesn't.

"There are other sins. Why do we jump on that sin [homosexuality] as though it’s the greatest sin? … What I want to preach about in San Francisco is the love of God. People need to know that God loves them no matter what their ethnic background or sexual orientation. I have so many gay friends, and we remain friends.”

"Billy Graham was an evangelist, not a politician. He was called by God, he said, to preach the gospel to everyone — Democrats, Republicans, independents, everyone. And he refused to jeopardize that by taking sides in elections or partisan politics."

etc.

quote:

Not that he's wrong on his points, but the anchor in this video is so annoying I couldn't finish watching it.
Pretty much the problem with the Young Turks.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Spacedad posted:

Yep. Authoritarian scum is authoritarian scum, and there are eager little Quislings in every nation on the planet who would jump at the chance to open the door for a tyrant.

I honestly worry about this becoming a reality in the future. It may not be a thing within the next five years, but maybe the next ten. I feel like North America's been pretty insulated from fascism and authoritarian tyranny so we may not see it if it's creeping up, and I fear what the fallout will be.

I also find it confusing that out one side of their mouths, Obama is this weak and effeminate joke, but out of the other side he's an all-powerful tyrant with an iron grip on government and the media. He can't do anything without Congress blocking it for months on end, but somehow he's a tyrant. Also he looks silly in a bicycle helmet, not like shirtless horseback Putin, ha ha ha.

It could just be the media and snippets of such to which I'm exposed that skews my perception that the Quislings, as you put it (had to look that one up, I admit), may seem more numerous and powerful than they are realistically, but it just seems like the political arena in the U.S., and to a certain extent Canada as well, is growing more and more polarized and vitriolic. I know comments are a bad example, but the number of people who seem unashamed with Facebook or news comments posts advocating genocide or murder of the people with whom they disagree startles me. Maybe they're just Internet Tough Guys and I should relax.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Leofish posted:

I honestly worry about this becoming a reality in the future. It may not be a thing within the next five years, but maybe the next ten. I feel like North America's been pretty insulated from fascism and authoritarian tyranny so we may not see it if it's creeping up, and I fear what the fallout will be.

I also find it confusing that out one side of their mouths, Obama is this weak and effeminate joke, but out of the other side he's an all-powerful tyrant with an iron grip on government and the media. He can't do anything without Congress blocking it for months on end, but somehow he's a tyrant. Also he looks silly in a bicycle helmet, not like shirtless horseback Putin, ha ha ha.

It could just be the media and snippets of such to which I'm exposed that skews my perception that the Quislings, as you put it (had to look that one up, I admit), may seem more numerous and powerful than they are realistically, but it just seems like the political arena in the U.S., and to a certain extent Canada as well, is growing more and more polarized and vitriolic. I know comments are a bad example, but the number of people who seem unashamed with Facebook or news comments posts advocating genocide or murder of the people with whom they disagree startles me. Maybe they're just Internet Tough Guys and I should relax.

https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

Bob Altemeyer's "The Authoritarians" is really good on this stuff. Its free to read on his site. I think its pretty well regarded but I wouldn't be surprised if a dozen experts flocked by to tell us its discredited nonsense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

There's probably enough new material for someone to go ahead and make a new one by now. That image is really old and it's not like FOX stopped the flow of potential new screen captures. Every time I turn their channel on, there's a new one.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Leofish posted:

To be fair I think it's conceivable that a leader could be feckless and weak in foreign policy and heavy-handed domestically in a "why don't you pick on someone your own size" kind of way. There's plenty of inconsistent criticisms of Obama but "he's nice to the wrong people" isn't one of them (note that I said inconsistent, not incorrect).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Offhand I can't think of an actual dictator that was 'weak on foreign policy'. Looking strong is all important to dictators.

It's a nonsensical divide, IMO. I guess it fits perfectly with the conservative Id.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Offhand I can't think of an actual dictator that was 'weak on foreign policy'. Looking strong is all important to dictators.

It's a nonsensical divide, IMO. I guess it fits perfectly with the conservative Id.

Yeah it's completely impractical but it's at least possible, unlike simultaneously freaking out over the DHS buying lots of ammo and wanting to arm every school in the country.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

This was Khrushchev's policy and also his undoing.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Ceaușescu and Duvalier were both pretty terrible in this aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I think those are all arguable but I'll concede the point. Clearly there's room for that interpretation.