Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

meat sweats posted:

My "hard stance" is that CFA supporting groups which literally engage in imprisoning gay teens in remote camps for "conversion therapy" or passing laws mandating the death penalty for homosexuality is wrong, and that CFA's continued blasting of its "pro-family faith" message makes it abundantly clear that the corporation, and its Christian supporters, consider the decision on eating there to be a referendum on gay rights.

Wendy's throwing pocket change at a few Republicans (some of whom, unsurprisingly, are the most liberal or silent Republicans on gay issues that you can find anywhere) doesn't even come close to this. In general, this argument is "because nobody's perfect, it's OK to support the most evil people possible." It's nonsense. It's the gay rights equivalent of "as a white first-worlder I'm oppressing brown people with my participation in capitalism, therefore anyone who argues against drones is a hypocrite."

Again, my argument IS the pragmatic one: Just don't support outright murder and torture. Just don't support the MOST evil company out there. Anything less than that is within the range of civil disagreement and compromise. Your argument is "literally do nothing whatsoever and denounce anyone who asks for the bare minimum as an unrealistic extremist."

Do you have any hard evidence to support your assertion that CFA is still funding these groups? Exodus doesn't even exist anymore, is there another ex-gay group that CFA is covertly funding now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

meat sweats posted:

Again, my argument IS the pragmatic one: Just don't support outright murder and torture.

Who is doing that? Because it has been proven that currently, that isn't the case with that company. Cathy may still donate money to it, there's no evidence either way as to whether he does, but it has already been proven that money from the company is no longer donated unless it's from that athletes thing. People can change, believe it or not. Your argument of "BUT THEY LIED ONCE" is invalid, because by that logic everybody here are permanent liars just because we all stole from the cookie jar and blamed it on Sally that one time, and should thus never be trusted again.

meat sweats posted:

My "hard stance" is that CFA supporting groups which literally engage in imprisoning gay teens in remote camps for "conversion therapy" or passing laws mandating the death penalty for homosexuality is wrong, and that CFA's continued blasting of its "pro-family faith" message makes it abundantly clear that the corporation, and its Christian supporters, consider the decision on eating there to be a referendum on gay rights.

Wendy's throwing pocket change at a few Republicans (some of whom, unsurprisingly, are the most liberal or silent Republicans on gay issues that you can find anywhere) doesn't even come close to this. In general, this argument is "because nobody's perfect, it's OK to support the most evil people possible." It's nonsense. It's the gay rights equivalent of "as a white first-worlder I'm oppressing brown people with my participation in capitalism, therefore anyone who argues against drones is a hypocrite."

1. He publicly admitted he wished he never addressed the issue, regrets it, and is refusing to touch the subject again.
2. That entire last paragraph is baffling. That equivalent is far from being equivalent, and is actually a strawman. And plus, nobody's making the argument yet again. There are numerous reasons why people should not eat at Chick-Fil-A. I don't hold grudges in terms of old news, which is what their donations were; granted, their discrimination in hiring, gross chicken, etc. are still great reasons to hold grudges and not to eat there. Your alternative is "eat elsewhere", yet you have no idea if the possible alternative option a person takes is also bad (slaughterhouses or other places with animal cruelty, Papa John's or other places where workers are threatened with intimidation tactics, etc), nor do you care. And your rudeness towards anybody with actual complaints whether on your side or not is unnecessary, and if anything, distances people away from all of our actual causes. You are painting yourself as the good guy here despite calling the oppressed evil and lacking dignity, and you believe (and at least a few others here believe) you deserve sympathy and respect for that? Hardly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Do you have any hard evidence to support your assertion that CFA is still funding these groups? Exodus doesn't even exist anymore, is there another ex-gay group that CFA is covertly funding now?

Their taxes post-controversy were revealed. From the $3.6 mil or so they had donated to anti-LGBT companies etc in 2010 and '11, it dropped 99.2% to $25,000 in 2012. WHUH OH, GUESS THE TAXMAN LIED

Said $25,000 was to Fellowship of Christian Athletes, who said gays can be saved. Which is still bad and absolutely deserving of criticism, but stale cake compared to the Uganda Kill Gays bill and forced healing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think it's an even dumber premise, that once the gays can get married guys will just go and suck all the dicks because it's easier than raising kids.

Like I said, a loving laff riot.

If recent republican politician or evangelical preacher scandals are anything to go by, it appears that all the married men who want to suck cocks on the side are already doing it anyway.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

quote:

Attorneys for the state also argued that no one is depriving homosexual citizens of access to marriage; rather, such individuals could but "for good reason" choose not to exercise that right.

"Utah law allows every person, regardless of sexual orientation or gender, to marry a person of the opposite sex," the state said, adding in a footnote that Utah "is not trying to punish nor attempting to change anyone’s sexual orientation."

Is this an actual thing someone said in court? This seems beyond blatant satire at this point. This feels like joke book material.

I can't even fathom this :psyduck:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

meat sweats posted:

Again, my argument IS the pragmatic one: Just don't support outright murder and torture. Just don't support the MOST evil company out there. Anything less than that is within the range of civil disagreement and compromise. Your argument is "literally do nothing whatsoever and denounce anyone who asks for the bare minimum as an unrealistic extremist."

You realized this started when some rando dude said 'hey I went to Chick Fil A because I think they stopped funding that poo poo' and NFI said "Yea I kinda don't give a poo poo" and then you cam in trying to call him a sellout because he doesn't have a meltdown that a lovely chicken place still gives a little money to some kinda harmless anti-gay groups (the worst offender, as mentioned, currently being FCA which has the stance of 'yea gays can be saved but whatever').

Crazy question what have you actually done, besides not buy lovely chicken, because you're the one trying to whip your dick out here?

Also if you think CFA is the 'most evil company' even just in the realm of fast food, you are a literal baby.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Christ stop engaging meat sweats people

cruft posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out what this is supposed to mean. By "personal individual interests" are they asserting homos want to enter into betrothal out of selfishness?

And what is an "adult-centric" lifestyle? Is this code for "those gays do nothing but gently caress?" Because they might be interested in hearing about what goes on in the early years of most hetero marriages.

Edit: I wonder if they think that marrying dudes is the easy way out. I feel sorry for their wives :(

I read it in the same sense why "allies" are so important, in that gay marriage is a self-serving proposition. The gays support gay marriage so they can gay marry. Congress supports setting senator's wages so they can give themselves raises. And so on. At the most simplistic form (and what other form is there of course) it's just the gays wanting to marry so they can get all the tax breaks.

Which is, of course, ridiculous because it ignores all the effects that integrating LGBT couples into "real society" rather than leaving the deviants on the wayside to be brought out whenever someone needs to say something snarky on television.

Similarly, gays are all about the gay sex because they're gays. And in some places that is true, because its areas where gay relationships will get you straight up goddamn murdered. They're not focusing on the actual physical aspect because "that's all we think about", it's because it's the only thing separating us from heterosexual couples.

In short, the defense has an understanding of LGBT dynamics that rivals a CoD kiddy on Xbox Live.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

If recent republican politician or evangelical preacher scandals are anything to go by, it appears that all the married men who want to suck cocks on the side are already doing it anyway.

Well, I mean

This isn't exactly a recent thing. It's bigger now than ever, but it's certainly been happening for a lengthy time period.

Morter posted:

Is this an actual thing someone said in court? This seems beyond blatant satire at this point. This feels like joke book material.

I expected to find this on The Onion and was shocked when I couldn't.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Sweeney Tom posted:

Your alternative is "eat elsewhere", yet you have no idea if the possible alternative option a person takes is also bad (slaughterhouses or other places with animal cruelty

Oh my god.

"Yeah, this one place literally wants me dead, but the other one gets their meat from the place where meat is obtained! Chickens are morally equivalent to homosexuals. Better, really."

You're making the same stupid argument as the Wendy's thing -- "anything that someone considers to be Bad Thing is exactly equivalent to every other Bad Thing, therefore since we cannot avoid doing Bad Thing no matter what, trying to be moral even in the most basic and trivial way possible is a delusion." It's garbage ethics.

Obviously, if CFA is not doing the things they have been doing, the parameters of the argument change, but excuse me if I don't believe them based on a single tax filing when they have lied about this exact issue in the very recent past and continue to do so right now ("this Chick-Fil-A is not affiliated with the main corporation", my rear end). That's NOT the same thing as "cookie jar" or whatever. That they have a coordinated strategy of telling CFA outposts in liberal areas to put up (corporate printed and shipped, no doubt) signs outright lying about the relationship between the franchise and the corporation says that lying about their gay rights stance is a continuing CFA policy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Morter posted:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I read Utah's response and about fell down laughing. I'm beginning to believe they're purposely sabotaging their own defense of the ban it was so bad. It reads like some poo poo from the 1920's.
They didn't say it in court though, it's their brief that they filed. When they do say it in court then expect the plaintiff's lawyers to have a loving field day. Like if this hearing is televised I'd take off work and just get drunk and :lol: all day.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So in other words you believe CfA are committing tax fraud? Like, not even creative accounting, but straight up fraud?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Morter posted:

I've heard that line a large part of my life, spoken unironically. Hell, I probably said it a couple times before I realized what a stupid poo poo I was in virtually my entire worldview. Being a bigot goes hand in hand with being a disingenuous, stupid shithead.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

So in other words you believe CfA are committing tax fraud? Like, not even creative accounting, but straight up fraud?

Do you believe the CFA franchise with "no connection to the main corporation" is committing fraud by claiming to be a CFA franchise? Someone is definitely lying.

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010
Isn't the fact that their CEO is a scumbag who gave money to groups that helped pass kill the gays bills in Africa (a decision he's not actually sorry for, he's just sorry he was so public about it) enough of a reason to keep boycotting them? It's not like people are asking you to be attached by German Shepards and for hoses. Is not eating lovely fried chicken that much of a sacrifice?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Morter posted:

Let's face it. There are about 0 valid arguments for maintaining straight marriage only. There's no point in doing anything beyond vague pleas to emotion or tradition to continue to restrict gay marriage.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Naked Lincoln posted:

Isn't the fact that their CEO is a scumbag who gave money to groups that helped pass kill the gays bills in Africa (a decision he's not actually sorry for, he's just sorry he was so public about it) enough of a reason to keep boycotting them? It's not like people are asking you to be attached by German Shepards and for hoses. Is not eating lovely fried chicken that much of a sacrifice?

Well, as I said, there are any number of companies that employ people who say or personally support bad things and there's no point in singling out one from another on that basis. Chick Fil A is different because the *corporation* does those things; there is no other company of even a tenth its size that so directly supports such evil practices towards sexual minorities. I'm going to need more than a single year's tax return from a company that has repeatedly lied and tried to play both sides of this issue in the very recent past to say that this has changed; absent that, there is a stark reason that Chick Fil A was singled out as opposed to Company X whose CFO personally hates gays.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So the answer is yes you think they commited literal tax fraud, you should go to the feds with this case. Not even going to the fact that every gay news site and such has reported on them removing the funding and all, so they're in on this too, man there's a lot of us gays who are fake gay activists, thank god you're here.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Just because it's not on ONE tax return doesn't mean they aren't finding a different way to get the money there or just taking a year off the donations to fool gullible people like you. We don't know which foundations inside foundations inside foundations that CFA funds are actually doing what; until someone who isn't just looking to blindly accept the random reversal of people who literally believe the same things as the Westboro Baptist Church looks into it, believing it is just Pollyanaish.

"Large corporations never lie or commit tax fraud" --a progressive activist

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Meat sweats is being pretty bad about it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to go to CFA even after they stopped funding that kind of stuff. Leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth (:v:).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Meat sweats is being pretty bad about it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to go to CFA even after they stopped funding that kind of stuff. Leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth (:v:).

There is literally no one saying it's 'bad' not to, eat whatever the gently caress you want, people are saying Meat is being an idiot going into tumblr hysterics talking about how right now if you buy a lovely chicken sandwich (hey dumbasses just marinate the chicken in pickle juice and do it at home) you're LITERALLY FUNDING DEATH CAMPS FOR GAYS. No one ITT is taking some kinda 'you have to buy CFA's lovely chicken' stance, more 'stop being a hysterical weirdo about it'.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There is literally no one saying it's 'bad' not to, eat whatever the gently caress you want, people are saying Meat is being an idiot going into tumblr hysterics talking about how right now if you buy a lovely chicken sandwich (hey dumbasses just marinate the chicken in pickle juice and do it at home) you're LITERALLY FUNDING DEATH CAMPS FOR GAYS. No one ITT is taking some kinda 'you have to buy CFA's lovely chicken' stance, more 'stop being a hysterical weirdo about it'.

Exactly this. If you don't want to eat there, don't. There's plenty of legitimate reasons not to. Just don't exaggerate about it, and don't think that just because a person lied once, a company committed tax fraud (risking decades of jail in the process) about their practices being over and will continue to lie forever about it being over just so you'll buy his loving bad chicken.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Tumblr hysterics is a good way of putting it.

Meat, have you thought of a Facebook event or a change.org petition to address this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, gently caress them for not being open on Sundays already. :colbert:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So with the Michigan thing, is it expected to be appealed when the ban is overturned?

I really just want to see at least one more state checked off for good before summer starts (wish PA would be one, but gently caress my state letting me marry apparently because we suck more than any other northeast state :negative:), and it sucks to see the list's additions be halted because of bigots struggling against the inevitable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There will almost always be appeals. The system is built assuming for appeals to be common.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

If you're not aware that "gay bootcamps" for teenage kids of Christians are a thing, and that they amount to little more than torture of gay teenagers until they promise to stop being gay, and that the groups Chick-Fil-A donates to are heavily involved in those, then you do not know what you are talking about on this issue. Similarly, they are a major funding source for the American right's partnership with Uganda to pass the kill-the-gays bill. Again, this is a real thing, not an exaggeration.

This is what I mean when I say that Internet leftists treat homosexuality as a fetish and can only muster up so much caring for real issues. It's NOT the same thing as being into S&M or a polyamorist or a furry, because there IS substantial real-world persecution for it, including the above. Just looking at this as "hey man everyone have sex with who you want" totally obscures the real differences between homosexuality and fetishes, and papers over the real problems with how sexual minorities are treated in Christian contexts. It's not just about yelling at celebrities for using mean words or working to get people married to each other, and I don't think some people in this thread get this.

The Tumblr comparison is loathsome because the majority of people in this thread would flip the gently caress out if someone questioned the legitimacy of "demisexuality" or why MTF transgenders should be allowed to compete in women's sports, but this clear-cut real life-and-death issue gets dismissed as made-up because you can't fit it into your framework of "oh, grandma will come around on the gays eventually, just like she will accept that I am dating my Dalek headmate." You just want to treat everything as uninformed people needing to loosen up about sex, and you don't know the sort of real, active evil that is going on out there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

meat sweats posted:

The Tumblr comparison is loathsome because the majority of people in this thread would flip the gently caress out if someone questioned the legitimacy of "demisexuality"

Really? Absolutely no one takes demisexuality seriously dude.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sweeney Tom posted:

So with the Michigan thing, is it expected to be appealed when the ban is overturned?

I really just want to see at least one more state checked off for good before summer starts (wish PA would be one, but gently caress my state letting me marry apparently because we suck more than any other northeast state :negative:), and it sucks to see the list's additions be halted because of bigots struggling against the inevitable.

Our government called in witnesses who's argument was "gays go to hell" they'll be appealing.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Can we shut the gently caress up about fried chicken, please?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

meat sweats posted:

This is what I mean when I say that Internet leftists treat homosexuality as a fetish and can only muster up so much caring for real issues. It's NOT the same thing as being into S&M or a polyamorist or a furry, because there IS substantial real-world persecution for it, including the above.

Cool, thanks for clearing up something that was already cleared up on page 1!

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 20, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Our government called in witnesses who's argument was "gays go to hell" they'll be appealing.

drat. When's the quickest the next failed appeal could be then? This year will be off to a slower start than 2013 if we don't get at least one more state done by summer. I know about Texas, but that's probably happening late-summer or so.

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 20, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
meat sweats, I get the impression that you're really mad and want to yell at somebody, but it would probably be better to go find the person you want to yell at instead of just yelling and hoping they hear you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

God if these people didn't legitimately hate me with all their soul I'd think they were just too precious.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sweeney Tom posted:

drat. When's the quickest failed appeal then? This year will be off to a slower start than 2013 if we don't get at least one more state done by summer. I know about Texas, but that's probably happening late-summer or so.
There are not enough states left for progress at anything close to the speed of 2013 or earlier. Winning in US District Court is nice but there won't be another Utah outside of spectacular incompetence. Seven states were completed in 2013. There are only four left without constitutional bans. We just have to wait for SCOTUS to bring in the other 60% of the population.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

meat sweats posted:

Well, as I said, there are any number of companies that employ people who say or personally support bad things and there's no point in singling out one from another on that basis. Chick Fil A is different because the *corporation* does those things; there is no other company of even a tenth its size that so directly supports such evil practices towards sexual minorities. I'm going to need more than a single year's tax return from a company that has repeatedly lied and tried to play both sides of this issue in the very recent past to say that this has changed; absent that, there is a stark reason that Chick Fil A was singled out as opposed to Company X whose CFO personally hates gays.

The hell are the Koch Brothers doing then?

Do you buy products from Koch Industries?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

meat sweats posted:

Just because it's not on ONE tax return doesn't mean they aren't finding a different way to get the money there or just taking a year off the donations to fool gullible people like you. We don't know which foundations inside foundations inside foundations that CFA funds are actually doing what; until someone who isn't just looking to blindly accept the random reversal of people who literally believe the same things as the Westboro Baptist Church looks into it, believing it is just Pollyanaish.

"Large corporations never lie or commit tax fraud" --a progressive activist

"Just because we never see Obama pray at a mosque doesn't mean he's not a Muslim! Who knows if he had a secret mosque under the oval office!"

You think exactly like conservatives you hate so much. The only difference is where you stand on the issues. You focus more on punishing the ones who had wronged you instead of on the change in their stance.

If someone had an opinion you don't like or think is wrong, saying so means you are voicing your opinion. If you continued to hog them and strongarm them into changing their stance, you're being a child throwing a temper tantrum. Being called a child while acting like a child is not being bullied.

Grow up if you want people to take you seriously.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Lots of posts in this thread something serious must ha-

Oh. Goons have made a couple hundred posts about chicken.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Deuce posted:

Lots of posts in this thread something serious must ha-

Oh. Goons have made a couple hundred posts about chicken.
Yeah, same here. "Oh wow, maybe the Michigan decision came in...nope."

It's kind of fun watching the anti-equality side crumble. I just wish it would do it a tiny bit quicker. Then we'll be free to fight about fried chicken.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It'll be a gay utopia where everybody falls in love, has a cute wedding, and then has a barbecue for the reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

wid posted:

"Just because we never see Obama pray at a mosque doesn't mean he's not a Muslim! Who knows if he had a secret mosque under the oval office!"

You think exactly like conservatives you hate so much. The only difference is where you stand on the issues. You focus more on punishing the ones who had wronged you instead of on the change in their stance.

If someone had an opinion you don't like or think is wrong, saying so means you are voicing your opinion. If you continued to hog them and strongarm them into changing their stance, you're being a child throwing a temper tantrum. Being called a child while acting like a child is not being bullied.

Grow up if you want people to take you seriously.

Blah blah blah gently caress chick-fil-a, burn it down and salt the earth. Merely stopping isn't enough

• Locked thread