Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
What if they scrapped the whole "Laurel needs to be Black Canary" and turned her into Manhunter instead? I would be okay with that.

Sigh, if only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

zoux posted:

It would be a huge stretch but also you don't go from party boy to ultimate badass in five years no matter what.

What? Five years is plenty of time, especially considering the heavy training he did. Navy Seal training is 1.5 years from boot to team and another year before deployment. So basically Ollie had twice as long to train and in even harder conditions than a member of the most elite force in the world.*

*ymmv

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who don't get any better martial arts training than you can get from weekly classes at the Y.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

What? Five years is plenty of time, especially considering the heavy training he did. Navy Seal training is 1.5 years from boot to team and another year before deployment. So basically Ollie had twice as long to train and in even harder conditions than a member of the most elite force in the world.*

*ymmv

Ok let's both train with a bow for five years and then we'll show down IRL.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Ok let's both train with a bow for five years and then we'll show down IRL.

Okay but only if we do it William Tell style.

Bring your own apple. :commissar:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I cannot wait for this episode. Ten bucks says Sean Maher's character dies tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I cannot wait for this episode. Ten bucks says Sean Maher's character dies tonight.

He has to die at some point so his mind can move to his new body composed of jagged metal shards.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Krad posted:

What if they scrapped the whole "Laurel needs to be Black Canary" and turned her into Manhunter instead? I would be okay with that.

Sigh, if only.

That would be awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is really funny though how every single fan in the world is like, please, please don't kill Sarah and turn Laurel into Black Canary, and yet they have said nothing about anything either way. It's like this loving sword of Damocles over the whole series and it makes me legit worried for the future of the show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Krad posted:

Sigh, if only.

I would be totally down with that. It would make a ton of sense for Laurel's character. Like, that's not just a way to save Sara as Black Canary, that's a legit good idea.

zoux posted:

It would be a huge stretch but also you don't go from party boy to ultimate badass in five years no matter what.

Five years getting trained by special forces and elite martial artists and in actual combat and fighting for his life the whole time. He didn't just hit up Planet Fitness once a week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Laurel kicked people's asses all the time in S1, I don't think it's surprising or out of the realm of possibility she could do it again.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Who don't get any better martial arts training than you can get from weekly classes at the Y.

Bronze Tiger Schulmann

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Five years getting trained by special forces and elite martial artists and in actual combat and fighting for his life the whole time. He didn't just hit up Planet Fitness once a week.

4 max. He didn't do poo poo the first year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Yao Fe tried to teach him to shoot and Shado had him doing the "slap the water" stuff in Season 1. By the end he was beating dude's up and he shot Fryers in the neck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yao Fe tried to teach him to shoot and Shado had him doing the "slap the water" stuff in Season 1. By the end he was beating dude's up and he shot Fryers in the neck.

Yeah but we're talking about the martial arts stuff.

He still can't really fight well in the island flashbacks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Well he obviously learns all that in the Russian mafia.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aphrodite posted:

He made a marked improvement from the start of S1's Island flashbacks to the end, then again from the start of S2 to where we are now. He's not exactly a superhero yet, but he's making clear, visible progress toward that end-point.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Except for all the training he got from Slade and Shado.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

don't ruin his misconceptions. :mad:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Training doesn't count unless it's set to a musical montage.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Krad posted:

Sigh, if only.

They've already got Kate Spencer on the show though!

(somewhere)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mike Danger posted:

They've already got Kate Spencer on the show though!

(somewhere)

They'll bring her back at the same time they make Laurel Manhunter. Laurel as Manhunter will turn out to be so great we'll all start to dread the time when they kill her off, but instead, responding to fan pressure, They'll keep Laurel as Manhunter and Kate Spencer will become Chase.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

It's not an RPG. It doesn't work off an experience system. He hasn't learned the way he fights now in the present from Slade or Shado.

The point the guy was making was just that 5 years is an unrealistic, comic book amount of time to train to become a superhero, and Ollie doesn't even have 5 years worth. It's dumb to want to apply the same rules to the other characters as you ignore for Ollie. It's a comic book show. A couple episodes back some chemicals and lightning gave a guy super speed. People are going to train fast.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aphrodite posted:

It's not an RPG. It doesn't work off an experience system. He hasn't learned the way he fights now in the present from Slade or Shado.

The point the guy was making was just that 5 years is an unrealistic, comic book amount of time to train to become a superhero, and Ollie doesn't even have 5 years worth. It's dumb to want to apply the same rules to the other characters as you ignore for Ollie. It's a comic book show. A couple episodes back some chemicals and lightning gave a guy super speed. People are going to train fast.

Except for the fact that he absolutely learned the way he fights now from both of them. Slade taught him basic hand to hand (and, importantly, the training method he uses with Diggle). Shado taught him archery, which he then expanded into the previous episode's high-speed/combat archery.

There's a clear, visible progression toward where he is today. The difference is there are still three and a half years before he gets back to Starling, so there's still a lot of time to grow.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

IRL we call the "RPG experience system", "practice"... and it's how people learn to do things and more you do it the better you become.

quote:

And as pointed out by someone (oh it was me!) 5 years is plenty of time to learn how to be a "badass". If special force units can be trained in a couple years, 5 (or even 4) is long enough for someone in a survival situation to learn how to fight.

How long do you think it takes for someone to be a competent fighter?

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
The scene with him missing the bonfire was to show he was close after his Slade/Shado training but not full Arrow.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

You should be tired. :quagmire:

edit: Arrow Season 2: Like that Lacrosse Player, Freshman Year of College

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 20, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ha, of course Dig is going to the Ostrander hotel for Suicide Squad time.

Edit: I was wondering about the Ben Browder guest star credit.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Aw yeah. FIELD TRIP!

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Welcome to the suicide squad!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welcome to the Suicide Squad. :smug:

The smug smilie needs a Deadshot make-over.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Oh poo poo it IS Harley!!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

... I'm a trained therapist!

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
HARLEY

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Welp, holy poo poo, that's Harley alright..

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, uh, I think that's Harley. Like, 90% sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well that's some confirmation.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah, uh, I think that's Harley. Like, 90% sure.

I've watched enough DCAU for it to be 100%.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Her code name is Harbinger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Aphrodite posted:

Well that's some confirmation.

I wonder if we'll get to see more of a straight-on shot, or if it'll be limited to that little tease of the hair.

I'm totally fine either way. Nice little cameo.

Edit: Also, welp. Whoever guessed Shrapnel was the expendable one..

OmniBeer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread