Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol.

I use the styrofoam packing that comes with sealed sets from mtgo redemptions. Also I know to throw out extras once one set of commons or one block of uncommons fills a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The things goons do with soap.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The things goons do with soap.

And the things they don't.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Well I've been playing MTG for a little over a month and I'm going to try my first booster draft for FNM this week. Any tips would be appreciated!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

morning wood posted:

Well I've been playing MTG for a little over a month and I'm going to try my first booster draft for FNM this week. Any tips would be appreciated!

BREAD

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Abilities
Dreck

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

morning wood posted:

Go read the first 2 posts of the Limited thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

morning wood posted:

Pick two colours in the first round and try to draft those, primarily. You should be able to get a lot of that colour in the third round, when the direction swaps back again.

Don't go too deep on bombs - if you've got a good selection of G/W and pack 2 has a Stormbreath, don't go Naya just for him. At the same time, don't be afraid to splash for something if your mana base can handle it.

Always draft Chromanticore. Always.

Have fun!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Pick two colours in the first round and try to draft those, primarily. You should be able to get a lot of that colour in the third round, when the direction swaps back again.

Don't go too deep on bombs - if you've got a good selection of G/W and pack 2 has a Stormbreath, don't go Naya just for him. At the same time, don't be afraid to splash for something if your mana base can handle it.

Always draft Chromanticore. Always.

Have fun!

Mild addendum: you still pick the Stormbreath, you just don't necessarily play him.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, do you know what sets you'll be drafting?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

morning wood posted:

Limited is the best Magic, fellow wizard friend.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

BREAD

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Abilities
Dreck

Sorry but what's a "dreck"? Googled for about 5 mins and couldn't find anything.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Also I have no clue what sets. The post on the LGS page says "FNM Booster Draft".

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I go by BREAST

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Ability
Synergy
The Rest

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

morning wood posted:

Sorry but what's a "dreck"? Googled for about 5 mins and couldn't find anything.

Are you serious because when I enter "dreck" into google the relevant definition is at the very top of the page.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Are you serious because when I enter "dreck" into google the relevant definition is at the very top of the page.

Ahh I was searching for "MTG Dreck". Thought it was something specific to drafting/MTG.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

morning wood posted:

Ahh I was searching for "MTG Dreck". Thought it was something specific to drafting/MTG.

So you must have come up with this?

e: but on topic, the first piece of advice I was given before I ever drafted turns out to be one I still come back to: Creatures win drafts. Even the lovely ones. If you're running less than 15 creatures mainboard, you will probably have a bad time -- drafts can't really support fringe pet-decks. In a top-deck situation, you're better off ripping that 1/2 bestow dude than you are pulling a 3rd Fall of the Hammer. It's extra feel-bad if there's no creature on your side to use the hammer with.

Creatures win drafts.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 20, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So you must have come up with this?

e: but on topic, the first piece of advice I was given before I ever drafted turns out to be one I still come back to: Creatures win drafts. Even the lovely ones. If you're running less than 15 creatures mainboard, you will probably have a bad time -- drafts can't really support fringe pet-decks. In a top-deck situation, you're better off ripping that 1/2 bestow dude than you are pulling a 3rd Fall of the Hammer. It's extra feel-bad if there's no creature on your side to use the hammer with.

Creatures win drafts.

Yeah, don't be afraid to draft the 2 cost 2/2 with no effect if it will help seal up your low drops so you don't go into turns 3 or 4 with nothing on the board. A body is a body.

Regarding the conversation about organizing, I actually organize a set as soon as I get my initial influx of cards (usually 1 box and 1 fat pack). I put 4 of every common and uncommon in the fat pack, ordered by color then mana cost (I guess I'm the only one that doesn't use set number?) and any extra cards go in the box to make screwy decks with or just give away.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AegisP posted:

Mild addendum: you still pick the Stormbreath, you just don't necessarily play him.

Rare redrafting :can:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ungulateman posted:

Rare redrafting :can:

Even then, your G/W deck is going to have one hell of a time beating him, so he's a strong consideration to just cack off so nobody else gets him.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

What a Judas posted:

I'm absolutely serious but I live in Maryland, unfortunately.

I have a spare bedroom, though.
Maryland, you say. If you're around-ish the Annapolis area, let me know. I kind of have a penchant for organizing things.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Night Danger Moose posted:

Maryland, you say. If you're around-ish the Annapolis area, let me know. I kind of have a penchant for organizing things.

Baltimore, which isn't too terribly far (but is probably terribly far to go to sort some cards).

I sense an east coast meetup stirring.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But we already did that just a week and a half ago. Even cracked some jokes about it.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

But we already did that just a week and a half ago. Even cracked some jokes about it.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Niton posted:

Even then, your G/W deck is going to have one hell of a time beating him, so he's a strong consideration to just cack off so nobody else gets him.

In a standard 3-round draft, not really. You'll face 3 of the 7 other drafters, so there's only a 43% chance you'll even face whoever picks it, not to mention the games you could play against them where they don't draw it and/or can't cast it, and even the games where they might resolve it but you still win. Using that first pick on a good card for your deck that will be there in 100% of your matchups is much more likely to positively impact your number of games won.

Team draft is a different story, since if the guy next to you drafts that Dragon, it's going to be used against you or your teammates every round.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
The sorting discussion just came up on Facebook recently. I have an old library card catalog holding my collection.

http://imgur.com/BbDo18D

I sort mine with 1 block to a drawer, then by set, color, type, casting cost. That's for pre-modern sets. Since I started playing/collecting again in the modern era, I bought 4x common & uncommon sets of each set, so those go together in the way they came, then rares & foils for each set in the front of them. I have a separate drawer for the ftv, premium deck & duel-decks cards, sorted by color.

I have these great plastic dividers for my deckboxes that are moveable and clip to the side, so I fit 6-8 decks in a 800 count box. They stopped making the ones for
horizontal deckboxes, but I'm pretty sure that the vertical ones are still made.

I have a drawer of cards to be filed, which right now has about 1k cards in it. At least I sorted them in that drawer, so the actual filing will go fast.

For those of you with Chronicles or Modern Masters cards, where do you put them? I put the Chronicles with their original sets, but MM got its own drawer

I also use MTG Studio to track my collection. Entering all the cards took me a month on my commute, but it was worth it. The pain is keeping track of trades and adding new cards. I have a small box on my desk that I put the acquisitions in for filing before cards can go in the 'to-put-away' drawer. If I could easily move to deckbox I would, but there are enough differences between the two that I doubt I will, unless someone makes a nice excel macro for it.

Jorath fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 20, 2014

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Jorath posted:

The sorting discussion just came up on Facebook recently. I have an old library card catalog holding my collection.

Where did you get this? We're looking to get basically the exact same thing, if maybe a bit smaller.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Where did you get this? We're looking to get basically the exact same thing, if maybe a bit smaller.

I looked around for one about a year ago, every library I called (most libraries in MA) had gotten rid of their ages ago. I was told to check basically:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcard+catalog+&_nkw=card+catalog&_sacat=20091&_from=R40

and assorted antiques shops by librarians.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

The March Hare posted:

I looked around for one about a year ago, every library I called (most libraries in MA) had gotten rid of their ages ago. I was told to check basically:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcard+catalog+&_nkw=card+catalog&_sacat=20091&_from=R40

and assorted antiques shops by librarians.

It looks like I'm going to have to build myself a card catalog, if I'm going to do that. I found a website that had the instructions on it a few months ago, and had tips to minimize the amount of sawing I'd need to do, such as what to ask for at the lowes , and how to ask them to cut it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just keep all jank from each set in its own mailing box, then separate good commons/uncommmons I want to use in decks in holiday boxes. All foils are in their own box too.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Any Bmore goons play at Canton Games? They have a $5 EDH game on Sundays with a decent crowd.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Jorath posted:

That's a great idea, but most card catalogs have those metal bars in the drawers to hold the cards. Did you remove them or just have the cards on top?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

That's a great idea, but most card catalogs have those metal bars in the drawers to hold the cards. Did you remove them or just have the cards on top?

If you have one that has the bar, then it's for full size index cards, meaning you can stand your mtg cards up and have a row either side of the bar, using the bar as a separator.

I so badly want one of these but they are not cheap, and I can't find a good sourcr of them here in Scotland.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

Any Bmore goons play at Canton Games? They have a $5 EDH game on Sundays with a decent crowd.

Out of principle I try not to play competitive EDH with people I will see regularly. I should check out Canton Games, though.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Jorath posted:

Now this, this is awesome.

(also Chronicles gets its own separate set dangit!)

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

What a Judas posted:

Baltimore, which isn't too terribly far (but is probably terribly far to go to sort some cards).

I sense an east coast meetup stirring.

Everyone meet up and organize each others cards. Its like a tupperware party but for wizards. :science:

Jorath posted:

Night Danger Moose and I have been looking everywhere in antique shops for this. The only place I could find one was on etzy for obscene amounts of money. I might bite the bullet and try e-bay.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Deckit posted:

Everyone meet up and organize each others cards. Its like a tupperware party but for wizards. :science:

Night Danger Moose and I have been looking everywhere in antique shops for this. The only place I could find one was on etzy for obscene amounts of money. I might bite the bullet and try e-bay.

I don't even want to guess how much shipping would be on that...

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

How exactly do you structure an EDH tournament?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How exactly do you structure an EDH tournament?

4 man pods, usually.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Toshimo posted:

4 man pods, usually.

How do you figure pairings? Seems like Swiss would be difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How do you figure pairings? Seems like Swiss would be difficult.

Random. Have 1 type of basic land for each pod and then have people draw lands at random.

• Locked thread