Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

scribe jones posted:

Slapping a partner is probably bad form, right? Asking for a friend.

Cry in front of the partner, like me! (Because I took things out of context, well I'm not sure, but I couldn't hold back considering all the stuff I was doing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
So, I've been in my grad program for two months with the Aussie Tax Office. I'm working in an audit role, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm starting to do my own cases now, which is great - though the knowledge relating to processes and programs has been fairly challenging.

Funnily enough, we are getting our team moved to a different part of the business line. And I only really started getting into my groove. Oh well :v:

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

fuseshock posted:

Cry in front of the partner, like me! (Because I took things out of context, well I'm not sure, but I couldn't hold back considering all the stuff I was doing)

There's no crying in the office.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

AbbiTheDog posted:

There's no crying in the office.

There's a reason my door locks.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Hey guys,

I am wondering what crimes would forbid you from being a CPA in Ohio. I have an accounting degree, but haven't actually worked in the field since graduating half a decade ago. The problem I would have is a couple of misdemeanors from 2007. They were not drug/alcohol/violence/fraud related. I would like to consider brushing up and trying to pass the CPA exams and start a small practice, but don't want to waste the time if I won't pass the background check.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Hey guys,

I am wondering what crimes would forbid you from being a CPA in Ohio. I have an accounting degree, but haven't actually worked in the field since graduating half a decade ago. The problem I would have is a couple of misdemeanors from 2007. They were not drug/alcohol/violence/fraud related. I would like to consider brushing up and trying to pass the CPA exams and start a small practice, but don't want to waste the time if I won't pass the background check.

Call your board of accountancy and simply ask. Should be fine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I doubt your board of accounts does background checks. Don't they just ask for felonies anyway?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I believe all of them do. I've never heard of one caring unless you've been convicted of a financial crime or have a felony.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Yes, looking at the CPA requirements for Ohio, a background check is required. I think I have the 150 credits already, if not I would only need like one or two classes at most, and I'll just take some community college courses online to get them. Then start studying, I know you need experience too, but I'll deal with that later.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
For anyone studying for the FAR section, how long did you study for? I have the Becker course and I'm doing two lectures a week. I've fallen behind due to illness and a death in the family. My exam is April 21, which is 4 1/2 weeks from now.

Still doable, right? Just watch all the lectures, or skip them and drill multiple choice questions like crazy?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Harry posted:

I believe all of them do. I've never heard of one caring unless you've been convicted of a financial crime or have a felony.

It's the "ethics and integrity" part of the CPA license. "Conduct unbecoming a professional." Should be fine, otherwise you'd lose half the profession.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Moneyball posted:

For anyone studying for the FAR section, how long did you study for? I have the Becker course and I'm doing two lectures a week. I've fallen behind due to illness and a death in the family. My exam is April 21, which is 4 1/2 weeks from now.

Still doable, right? Just watch all the lectures, or skip them and drill multiple choice questions like crazy?

4 1/2 weeks should be plenty. I would study government more than you think (this is a huge part of the exam, and it really didn't come off that way with the course I used) and be good at journal entries.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Has anyone here use Wiley? A classmate suggested it over Becker due to cost savings (massive) and she had zero issues passing everything with mid 80's... I know it varies for everyone but I'd love BFC's input as I have to pull the trigger on a review package soon.

Thanks!

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I used Yaeger, which included the Wiley books and test bank. The questions were pretty close to the real exam (not too easy, not too hard), but I don't know if I would recommend using Wiley alone since the books tend to go into too much detail instead of focusing on the most important parts.

The test bank is awesome for supplementing whatever other review program you use, though. (I think CPA Excel uses Wiley also)

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 20, 2014

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Harry posted:

4 1/2 weeks should be plenty. I would study government more than you think (this is a huge part of the exam, and it really didn't come off that way with the course I used) and be good at journal entries.

Yep. I started FAR on Jan 6th and took the test on Feb 7th and did fine with 2 sections a week + F10 split up randomly. Government was the most stressful part because it was the last stuff I went over and I'd never learned it in classes, so I would've liked more time to review it. I ended up doing fine on the test though.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
How long should I expect it to take for the CPA exam payment coupon to show up once I send my Authorization To Test to NASBA?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Day, two tops.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Got it this afternoon. Took seven business days.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I just landed a position at a CPA firm as an audit intern (They used to be one of the Big Four, until they pulled out of the market). It's going to be my first actual job in an accounting profession and I have to confess: I have no idea what an auditor actually does. Any advice someone can give me so I don't make a total rear end out of myself?

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
If you go on audits with the team you will probably be counting physical inventory. Another thing you might do is climb to the top of the silos to make sure they are filled with grain like the client's management claim. Bring a long pole

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Euphoriaphone posted:

I just landed a position at a CPA firm as an audit intern (They used to be one of the Big Four, until they pulled out of the market). It's going to be my first actual job in an accounting profession and I have to confess: I have no idea what an auditor actually does. Any advice someone can give me so I don't make a total rear end out of myself?

You will most likely spend all day ticking and tying cash and sending out/following up on confirms. Inventories are possible, but usually Associates do those.

For advice: Don't make any concrete plans for after work. You will have no idea on a day to day basis how long you'll be staying. In fact, you probably won't know when you're done for the day until your Senior says "alright, time to head out"

If you hate audit, but still want to stay in public look at tax too.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Take extra time to double-check anything you are turning in for review for spelling errors and professionalism. It makes life easier for everyone.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Take extra time to double-check anything you are turning in for review for spelling errors and professionalism. It makes life easier for everyone.

And never editorialize in your workpapers or notes. Assume an opposing lawyer will dig through your work at some point.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Would all of you working in public accounting agree that taking 4-6 months off between graduating and starting at my firm to pass the CPA exam and maybe even have some fun is a good thing?

Part of me thinks that the break would be too long and I would be missing out on a busy season worth of experience, but if I don't take a break then I'll be starting 3 weeks after graduation with almost no progress on the CPA exam.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Mush Mushi posted:

Would all of you working in public accounting agree that taking 4-6 months off between graduating and starting at my firm to pass the CPA exam and maybe even have some fun is a good thing?

Part of me thinks that the break would be too long and I would be missing out on a busy season worth of experience, but if I don't take a break then I'll be starting 3 weeks after graduation with almost no progress on the CPA exam.

As a boss, this would not show a lot of ambition towards your career. But it might be a generational thing - I had a job lined up for graduation the year before.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mush Mushi posted:

I'm not in public, but I am on the CPA track. I would not take the time off if you're going public, based on my classmates experiences. See my comment below.

AbbiTheDog posted:

As a boss, this would not show a lot of ambition towards your career. But it might be a generational thing - I had a job lined up for graduation the year before.
Most of my classmates who are graduating this spring, with 225+ credits, have done internships last fall/this busy season with firms.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Sorry, I don't think that I was very clear. I've already completed two internships at the same firm and received a full time offer. I just have a few start date options that are processed mainly through HR. I'm still struggling to see the benefit of starting as soon as possible, aside from having a few months more work experience and income (which in the context of an entire career won't amount to much).

I thought it would be a smart trade off to take the time off and come in with the exam passed if I have that option, rather than stress about it. Has anyone done this and regretted it?

Sukashi
Feb 13, 2006

the most fantastic monster employed at florsheim. potentially a homosexual
If you have the full-time offer already lined up, definitely by all means take as much time as you can between graduation and starting at the firm to sit for the CPA and pass as many parts as you can. Apart from taking sabbaticals after busy season, there really aren't many other opportunities in your career to take extended time off to prep for the exam.

If you're able to start in late September - mid-October, that'd probably be the best bet. At my former Big 4 there was always a class of new hires that started in January (right at the beginning of busy season), which may or may not affect your decision since you've already had some internship experience and should hopefully be familiar with firm resources / audit guide.

Ultimately, just make sure you set attainable goals/milestones in sitting for the exam and stick to your study plan.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mush Mushi posted:

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I'm from an actual public accounting firm and I wished I had taken the option to start later and pass my CPA exam. Public firms stress the CPA so hard yet want you to work crazy hours and it's very hard to get study time in. You'll have a big leg up on all your peers if you come in with all 4 parts passed.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I can't imagine taking the CPA while working full time. I know people do it, but man that must suck. Take the time to get it done with no other distractions and then hopefully take a vacation or do nothing for a few weeks to recharge and get ready to start working. If you already have the option through HR you're good to go, plus you'll come in being able to bill CPA hours from the get go.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

I can't imagine taking the CPA while working full time. I know people do it, but man that must suck. Take the time to get it done with no other distractions and then hopefully take a vacation or do nothing for a few weeks to recharge and get ready to start working. If you already have the option through HR you're good to go, plus you'll come in being able to bill CPA hours from the get go.

Pansies. I had to sit through the old paper exams, all four sections at once.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

AbbiTheDog posted:

Pansies. I had to sit through the old paper exams, all four sections at once.

Yeah, yeah. No shoes. Uphill both ways.

There is a lot more depth to the exam now and the audit regulations are a lot more complex than they were when paper exams were given.

Take it from me, working public accounting hours and studying for the CPA is rough. Ask me why I still haven't passed all four parts 3 years in!

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Yeah, yeah. No shoes. Uphill both ways.

There is a lot more depth to the exam now and the audit regulations are a lot more complex than they were when paper exams were given.

Take it from me, working public accounting hours and studying for the CPA is rough. Ask me why I still haven't passed all four parts 3 years in!

It was nuts. It was one of the last years here in Oregon where you only needed 4 years of college, not 5, but you were grandfathered in under the old 4 year rules if you sat for the exam every year. So you had all the people that had been trying to pass for years (one guy was there for his 12th try) sitting at once.

They held it at the Salem fairgrounds in one of the huge barns they used for the state fair. Something like 700 people all at once, and the building was all concrete so any noise just echoed throughout the entire place.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Reg is the worst thing. Ever.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

It is kind of daunting, because I can easily conceive there being a permutation of the exam where I could literally get a zero. There is just so much stuff to learn...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

It is kind of daunting, because I can easily conceive there being a permutation of the exam where I could literally get a zero. There is just so much stuff to learn...

I just took it. I probably failed, maybe didn't, 100% don't care because I'm on my way to a muddy field to drink beer with thousands of other college kids for 2 days straight.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

REG was the only part I actually knew I aced exiting the test - what material was difficult/confusing (if you remember)?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It was a mix of things. I didn't feel too bad about the multiple choice, but there were parts of the simulations that I had never seen and struggled with. In general I didn't have as good a grasp on distributions/gross estate stuff as I would've liked.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It was a mix of things. I didn't feel too bad about the multiple choice, but there were parts of the simulations that I had never seen and struggled with. In general I didn't have as good a grasp on distributions/gross estate stuff as I would've liked.

Pretty much everyone sucks on the Estates & Trusts part (unless they do an MS in Tax or take an 'Estates & Trusts Tax' class) since there are some funky situations in that section of the Code so putting in stuff about, say, Power of Appointment or a Life Estate is bound to gently caress over 80%+ of test takers. As for Trusts, the whole 'calculate Trust Accounting Income, then determine the Distributive Net Income' thing is even more of a mess and even fewer people probably get those questions right. I wouldn't be too concerned so long as you attempted every sim.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Would anyone happen to have CMA case exams from 2010 back?

Writing in May... Should be fun.