Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

FoolishLobster posted:

Mounts aren't very expensive. I believe at level 15 you can buy regular mounts and they're 10 gold each. We don't know the full details of the Eldan hoverboard yet. It might be locked to level 25 like regular hoverboards or usable at level 10 like the beta hoverboard the closed beta testers will be receiving. Or it could just be a customization option for the regular hoverboard you buy at level 25.
They specifically said for closed beta players you'd get your free "thanks for testing" hoverboard at 25 in the live game so I'd assume it's the same for the deluxe edition. You're on your own mount-wise 15-25.

It was given at 10 just to expedite things some for the beta test.

Calihan posted:

Actually the sales tax comes under the national GST which is a straight 10% which if I am not mistaken is actually less then sales tax of many US states.
That's higher than the sales tax of precisely 50 out of 50 US states (a handful of states don't even have sales tax). Some can be higher including local sales tax (not common in my experience), but the highest statewide sales tax is California with 7.5%.

Or, more succinctly: you are mistaken.

Sounds pretty crappy that Aussies get screwed so hard though. I was a bit disgruntled when I was in Europe last summer and everything on Steam was the same price in Euros (as opposed to US Dollars).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you go to support.wildstar-online.com and hit the having trouble logging in to nca article, there should be a link in there that will let you send a request without logging in.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

bUm posted:

That's higher than the sales tax of precisely 50 out of 50 US states (a handful of states don't even have sales tax). Some can be higher including local sales tax (not common in my experience), but the highest statewide sales tax is California with 7.5%.

Usually when people are paying sales tax in the United states it is a combination of State, County, and city sales tax so you need to add all those together. I pay 9.1% on all my local purchases.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Is anyone else getting a 'Failed to connect to patch server' message? I assume the servers are just getting hammered from everyone trying to get the game downloaded before the weekend, but I'd like to know if its something on my end.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

ankle posted:

Is anyone else getting a 'Failed to connect to patch server' message? I assume the servers are just getting hammered from everyone trying to get the game downloaded before the weekend, but I'd like to know if its something on my end.

This worked for me:

1. Open Command Prompt
2. ipconfig /flushdns
3. Run game as admin

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

FoolishLobster posted:

This worked for me:

1. Open Command Prompt
2. ipconfig /flushdns
3. Run game as admin

Yep, that worked, thank you!

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

FoolishLobster posted:

Regarding buying different region keys:

https://twitter.com/WildStar/status/446353896332869632

"Purchase your region's edition of the game. File a CS ticket and they can change your game region."

Assuming you don't have the means through VPN or friends to get another region's key, this is an option.
A fun new twist on the debate of region locking: you can argue with support to play in a different region so now the population affected (beyond it being an annoying inconvenience) is weaned down to only people who want to simultaneously play with friends in multiple regions. With the added perk of it costs NCSoft's support employees' time or, alternatively, is a major pain in the rear end to do because their support sucks (see: forgot password e-mails don't seem to ever work for anyone... they're the only company I can think of offhand too inept to program automated password assistance).

BadLlama posted:

Usually when people are paying sales tax in the United states it is a combination of State, County, and city sales tax so you need to add all those together. I pay 9.1% on all my local purchases.
Few states allow (by state law) over 10% including local taxes; ignoring that many localities don't do additional sales tax (depends on state, limited to fairly large cities in many states). If you care to really delve into the numbers, still at 50 out of 50 states with a lower (average, including local) sales tax than Australia's 10%. Point still stands: "if I am not mistaken is actually less then sales tax of many US states" is definitely mistaken since only isolated localities ever top 10%, let alone many any states. :spergin:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bUm posted:

Few states allow (by state law) over 10% including local taxes; ignoring that many localities don't do additional sales tax (depends on state, limited to fairly large cities in many states). If you care to really delve into the numbers, still at 50 out of 50 states with a lower (average, including local) sales tax than Australia's 10%. Point still stands: "if I am not mistaken is actually less then sales tax of many US states" is definitely mistaken since only isolated localities ever top 10%, let alone many any states.

loving America. 12% here and it's the lowest it's ever been in my lifetime, most of my life it's been 14-15%. Liquor is even more, but I'm usually drunk enough by the time I pay that I don't really care.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Can anyone tell me how travel between continents works? I didn't get far enough to discover this on previous beta weekends.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Can anyone tell me how travel between continents works? I didn't get far enough to discover this on previous beta weekends.

You take a ship from your main city to a specific zone on the other continent. From there you discover other taxi paths. Mind you I only got to level 20 in the weekend beta so there may be other ways I don't know about.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cheers, I expect my friends to be scattered all over the place this weekend.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

You can also bind yourself to towns like WoW's Hearthstones and Quick Travel there with a cool down.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Noirex posted:

You can also bind yourself to towns like WoW's Hearthstones and Quick Travel there with a cool down.

Yes this too. And for the love of god bind yourself ASAP so you learn the hearth ability. I went to Auroria as an Exile and for some reason never bound myself to a point and it was a pain in the rear end getting back to the Exile continent.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
I pre-ordered my basic edition. I'm not even sure I want to play anymore. A lot of my friends still play WoW and some of them recently went back. I got a 1 week trial of the panda expansion and I got my rogue to level 19. gently caress me, that game is STILL boring as poo poo. So many collect this many arbitrary widgets and kill that many whosiwhatsits. The only saving grace WoW has over this that I noticed was a greatly reduced TTK. I could kill a guy in about 5 seconds regardless of level from 1-19. gently caress that game forever. I have 6 days remaining in that trial, never going back.

I really, REALLY hope I can convince some SFD to come give Wildstar a try. Those guys and gals and fat Canadians can make things fun.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Wet Fifty posted:

I pre-ordered my basic edition. I'm not even sure I want to play anymore. A lot of my friends still play WoW and some of them recently went back. I got a 1 week trial of the panda expansion and I got my rogue to level 19. gently caress me, that game is STILL boring as poo poo. So many collect this many arbitrary widgets and kill that many whosiwhatsits. The only saving grace WoW has over this that I noticed was a greatly reduced TTK. I could kill a guy in about 5 seconds regardless of level from 1-19. gently caress that game forever. I have 6 days remaining in that trial, never going back.

I really, REALLY hope I can convince some SFD to come give Wildstar a try. Those guys and gals and fat Canadians can make things fun.

Let TESO run its course and some may give Wildstar a shot.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
How fluid does gameplay/animations feel? I really hate stiff or floaty movement, like SWTOR. Hell, even GW2 felt a tad floaty to me. No race/class limitations, right?

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 20, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

How fluid does gameplay/animations feel? I really hate stiff or floaty movement, like SWTOR. Hell, even GW2 felt a tad floaty to me. No race/class limitations, right?

Yes class/race limitations. Combat weight feels worse than GW2.

Best bet is to snag a weekend key and try it out yourself.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Any word on when the name reservation thing begins? Is it this weekend?

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
How is healing in this game? I have a feeling that the active targeting would make it a lot more involved than clicking frames a la WoW.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mayostard posted:

How is healing in this game? I have a feeling that the active targeting would make it a lot more involved than clicking frames a la WoW.

It is quite a bit more difficult than WoW due to the active targeting. Both the healer and the player(s) being healed have to pay attention to each other so that the healer can target them and they don't move out of the healing area.

If you run a dungeon/adventure with someone who tries to do it wow style, standing in one spot the whole fight, your group will die painful deaths. I have experienced it.

On the plus side, I think it makes healing much more interesting than WoW's health-bar whack-a-mole that grid+clique and healbot have turned it into.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

bUm posted:

A fun new twist on the debate of region locking: you can argue with support to play in a different region

In a classic example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing:
https://twitter.com/WildStar/status/446353896332869632

Wildstar twitter posted:

‏@WildStar
@SkarmoryThePG Purchase your region's edition of the game. File a CS ticket and they can change your game region. http://ow.ly/uKU3s

customer response posted:

Caeriel Crestin ‏@caeriel 5h
@WildStar @SkarmoryThePG I tried this and they said they can't do it. All they can do is offer a refund, but region changes aren't possible.
Caeriel Crestin ‏@caeriel 5h
@WildStar @Resterian Support team told me this was impossible and that the twitter guys were wrong.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Wet Fifty posted:

Wait, I thought SFD was already going to play Wildstar? Did Arus found a stockpile of pies in TESO.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RottenK posted:

Wait, I thought SFD was already going to play Wildstar? Did Arus found a stockpile of pies in TESO.

Most of us interested in Wildstar have lost interest so if SFD does, it's nothing official, but I'm sure some of us will play it. I'm personally undecided but leaning towards no.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
It's kind of amazing how much the hype died down after the beta. Such is Arenanet's lasting impact on MMO HMO forum culture :banjo:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Tell them that if they pre-order Wildstar they can have an actual pixel spaceship they can sleep in within a month instead of maybe two years, and that it also doesn't cost several hundred dollars.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RottenK posted:

It's kind of amazing how much the hype died down after the beta. Such is Arenanet's lasting impact on MMO HMO forum culture :banjo:

Didn't even take a beta for some of us. This thread and others like it caught the interest of my circle of friends and then the 40 man vision of end game progression came up and well

Couldn't have killed the buzz any faster.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I watched someone stream the later game content after they lifted the NDA and it looked pretty boring. I'm going to give this beta weekend a try though, it can't possibly be as bad as TESO and I'm itching for an MMO.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Tarnop posted:

If you want to know how anything in this game works, look at WoW circa 2006. In 90% of cases it is going to be identical.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

40 man vision of end game progression came up

Wait, what's this, now?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harettazetta posted:

Wait, what's this, now?

They're bringing back 40-man raids as the primary end game content, which... I don't even know. We've entered some kind of weird new epoch in the MMO where, instead of Brad McQuaid-esque devs trying to revive some half-remembered "glory days" of Everquest, you've got developers trying to do the same for vanilla WoW.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Vermain posted:

They're bringing back 40-man raids as the primary end game content, which... I don't even know. We've entered some kind of weird new epoch in the MMO where, instead of Brad McQuaid-esque devs trying to revive some half-remembered "glory days" of Everquest, you've got developers trying to do the same for vanilla WoW.

To be fair, going off of the huge megathreads pointing out why this is stupid, likey eighty to ninety percent of their forum userbase agrees this is retarded.

About the only people who agree that it's a good idea are the ones who are fanboying or feel that ~true leadership~ (Read: Cliques and other elitist asshattery that was common back then.) will get around the hideous organization issues needed to pull it off. And that's not even getting into the gameplay issues endemic with 40 and 40+ raiding.

Unless the devs pull a Brad McQuaid and refuse to back down over their ~vision~, this is going to get changed a few months after release. Otherwise they'll lose even more players than they already will.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 20, 2014

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is it the primary end-game content? Carbine have said that post-release the game will receive significant content updates every month, and that these will rotate between small group, raid, pvp, and solo. If they stick to that then raiding is just one of four things to do at cap, and as long as you have four friends then you'll be able to do the other three.

Also, half of the raid content is 20 man.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tarnop posted:

Doesn't really matter. Most people don't raid in any real common capacity. It's changed a bit in recent years thanks to easy access raids (Which itself provokes a rather ridiculous amount of drama from people who think content needs to be locked out from players.), but it's by no means the driving force that keeps most people playing.

Most people have things called jobs or lives they have to attend too. Having to log on to raid is almost like a job at times depending on the activity level of the server you're on and the people you have to raid with.

I haven't heard the thing about them cycling through content methods, but that would help alleviate it if true. Either way, I don't see 40 man raids remaining a thing they keep producing past the first few months. At least, not if they're smart. Even WoW dropped it with their huge population they had at the time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 20, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Most of the people who played and liked 40 man raiding are in their late 20s/ early 30s now and have Other poo poo To Do.

Most people young enough/untethered to do 6 hour 40 man raids are playing F2P games.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Having managed 40 man raids for a year, the only thing I can tell you is "never again" and that the people who have fond memories of them are psychopaths.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'll try to find the quote, but it might have been in a video somewhere. I should mention that I have no intention of raiding, so am kind of playing devil's advocate with regards to the 20 man thing. I do, however, expect to have plenty to do between dungeons, adventures, and pretty princess house time.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Batham posted:

Having managed 40 man raids for a year, the only thing I can tell you is "never again" and that the people who have fond memories of them are psychopaths.

I do have fond memories of them but that's only because I was 19 at the time, WoW was my first MMO and the idea of 40 people working together to slay internet dragons just blew my mind.

But, as you say, never again.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Is it the primary end-game content? Carbine have said that post-release the game will receive significant content updates every month, and that these will rotate between small group, raid, pvp, and solo. If they stick to that then raiding is just one of four things to do at cap, and as long as you have four friends then you'll be able to do the other three.

Yeah, 40 man raid being the primary content sounds stupid, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a communication issue.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
If there will never be another MMO with hardcore 40 man raiding in it, it will still be too much MMOs with hardcore 40 man raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

After months of being hyped and finally getting to participate in the CBT, I think I've finally landed on the "no" side of the fence. While he game can be fun at times and the art/humor is great, the excessive grinding took its toll by the time I was level 12. Given the limited amount of time I have to play, there really is no way I can justify the box price + monthly subscription.

I think Carbine might have misjudged interest the general population has in archaic MMO mechanics. They have some great ideas, but mindless quest grinding and herding 40 cats are not among them. To put this in perspective, I have leveled to 80 twelve times in GW2 because the world was genuinely fun and interesting to explore to me and there was always something new to discover. I never got that feeling in Wildstar. I never knew where I was or why was there; it just felt mindless. Sure I could strain my eyes and read the small quest text, but between the quest tracker and subscription fee, the game is set up in a way that almost encourages skipping all of it.

Also, the movement physics can be annoying pretty often. I think people call it ice skating. Trying to play an explorer and doing jumping puzzles was particularly frustrating because of the way inertia works ingame, and I can only imagine how frustrating this would be for me in endgame PvP. One of the things I think WoW nailed was the connection between player input and avatar response, where everything felt very crisp and direct.

Come to think of it, none of the paths were particularly interesting. They too felt mindless and grindy, with a handful of interesting tidbits sprinkled throughout.

Anyway, this is of course just my take. I've become far more casual since my MMO heyday, but I know there are plenty of people out there that love the grind and will find a lot to enjoy in Wildstar.

• Locked thread