Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Yajirobe wisely decided to just stay away from all the bullshit and settle down with Korin. He is secretly the only DBZ character to have never died, or been in a state of "technically dead".

Mr. Satan never died. Buu healed his gunshot would, but that's it - he still wasn't dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Technically, Jackie Chun is pretty much the only DB character who has a flawless fight record.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Darko posted:

Mr. Satan never died. Buu healed his gunshot would, but that's it - he still wasn't dead.

He got teleported to the afterlife, close enough. :colbert:

Though now that I think about Yajirobe probably died when the earth blew up, huh.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
As far as Dragonball goes, if you watch nothing else watch seasons 4 and 5 (from introducing Tenshinhan to the Piccolo Jr. vs Goku fight). My favorite fight in the entire series is Goku vs Piccolo Jr., not just for the intensity of it, but it's just fun to watch and even more fun to read. I feel like the intensity, spontaneity and creativity in that fight are some of the best in the series, if only in context. It's animated pretty well, but I love reading it; the action really flows on the page and it really demonstrates Toriyama's skill at drawing fights.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I always think it's strange Chi-Chi appears older when really Bulma is the oldest as time goes by, was it just the designs themselves or did the anime just give Chi-Chi wrinkles.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is my favorite part of DBZ:A right now, can't stop laughing

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SirDrone posted:

I always think it's strange Chi-Chi appears older when really Bulma is the oldest as time goes by, was it just the designs themselves or did the anime just give Chi-Chi wrinkles.

I think having Goku as a husband would make anyone age prematurely. :v:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, tons, if not moreso.

However, it's a bit less noticeable simply because the history hasn't been running for years, so there was way more freedom for the fanfic writers to create things.

Also, a lot of the filler is more "Dragonball" like, so more gags and simple stories. It also adds one of the only Goku and Chichi romantic stories in the entire series, so that's a bonus for character development.

Col.Silver's filler arc with Pilaf is one of my favourite arcs in the series, picture my surprise when I didn't see it in the manga.

SirDrone posted:

Bulma can afford better rejuvenating creams I guess \/:shobon:\/

Besides, she's not much older than Goku and Chichi, 4 years I think?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shindragon posted:

I do like how Piccolo never uses his get large and stay the same speed/size tech ever again after DB.

Did he use it in the Garlic, Jr. saga or was that a different technique?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Roshi's moon-nuke was definitely part of the gag era, but if you want to rationalize it, it's part of the canon that Roshi indeed has that much power in him, but he also demonstrates he cannot maintain it for more than a second or two. See: the first Kamehameha, where he buffs out like crazy but it vanishes fast.

Oh man, another favorite moment from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was a what-if story I think, where you can totally take control of (a completely drunk) Super Roshi and fight Broly. And beat the living poo poo out of him. Make the Super Saiyans look like a bunch of twerps.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Technically, Jackie Chun is pretty much the only DB character who has a flawless fight record.

But he lost to Tenshinhan?

Also definitely get into Dragon Ball if you like DBZ. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the Pilaf and Red Ribbon Army Sagas, but the series really starts to pick up around the 22nd World Tournament and doesn't start to lose its luster until maybe the Freeza Saga.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crankdatbatman posted:

But he lost to Tenshinhan?

It's been a while since I saw it but I'm pretty sure he conceded the fight; he stops fighting and leaves the ring after Tenshinhan copies his kamehameha. It was a loss, sure, but it was a technical loss.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Oh man, another favorite moment from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was a what-if story I think, where you can totally take control of (a completely drunk) Super Roshi and fight Broly. And beat the living poo poo out of him. Make the Super Saiyans look like a bunch of twerps.

In one of the games, there's a... I think Meta Cooler-scenario? Where you have to play as Roshi and Yajirobe and survive for a few minutes. I managed to stunlock him and didn't lose a single point of health. Of course the two of them were beat up in the cutscene afterwards but goddammit it was amazing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SirDrone posted:

It's not unheard of for different people to age differently.

Also, Bulma is a multi-billionaire with access to the newest tech, and Chi-Chi lives on a quiet farm.

Definitely going to be some different levels of sun exposure and moisturizing.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Mister Roboto posted:

It's not unheard of for different people to age differently.

Also, Bulma is a multi-billionaire with access to the newest tech, and Chi-Chi lives on a quiet farm.

Definitely going to be some different levels of sun exposure and moisturizing.

I mean, Bulma might just take after her mom in the whole No Aging department.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah Vegeta doesn't let her age.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Every single night Vegeta beats up time itself.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kild posted:

Yeah Vegeta doesn't let her age.

Meh. Bulma definitely mellowed out a lot after they actually got married, though. (Especially as show in the newest movie.) If I remember correctly, she wasn't nearly as snippy during the Buu saga except when being horrified over Vegeta's voluntary face-turn.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Metal Loaf posted:

Did he use it in the Garlic, Jr. saga or was that a different technique?

I don't recall because I never watched the Garlic Jr Saga.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

BlitzBlast posted:

Every single night Vegeta beats up time itself.

Considering he kicked the living manifestation of entropy in the face and drew a bit of blood I think I can probably believe this.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Metal Loaf posted:

It's been a while since I saw it but I'm pretty sure he conceded the fight; he stops fighting and leaves the ring after Tenshinhan copies his kamehameha. It was a loss, sure, but it was a technical loss.

Man, Roshi really should have stuck around as an active, badass motherfucker who keeps improving. In Dragonball he is one of the coolest characters, aside from being hilarious. One of my favourite scenes in the whole thing is when the Red Ribbon army shows up at Kame House and one of them opens up with a machine gun on the old geezer and he just catches all the bullets out the air.

But the list of people who eventually drop out the story is almost everyone. In the entire first arc, the only characters who matter all the way to the end are Goku and Bulma, and Bulma is kind of on the edge I think.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I still want my series of Young Master Roshi running around the world, training, fighting with/against the Crane Hermit, and training Gohan and Ox King.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I had this DBZ magazine several years ago which had this short profile of Master Roshi that included the curiously specific factoid, "He became a pervert at the age of 123."

It's one of the few things I can recall really distinctly about the magazine, aside from the fact that it included a word search you could complete, cut out and post in to win a TV/VCR combo with tapes of the Big Green Tree of Might and Lord Slug dubs. I think maybe around 2000-ish or thereabouts, I think it might have been in the gap between Freeza and the Androids airing in the UK, and I think it was it was glossy, yellow, the cover had Goku and Gohan riding the Nimbus and it was listed as "No. 6".

I can only remember bizarrely specific facts about this thing but I can't even recall the actual title.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Man, Roshi really should have stuck around as an active, badass motherfucker who keeps improving. In Dragonball he is one of the coolest characters, aside from being hilarious. One of my favourite scenes in the whole thing is when the Red Ribbon army shows up at Kame House and one of them opens up with a machine gun on the old geezer and he just catches all the bullets out the air.

But the list of people who eventually drop out the story is almost everyone. In the entire first arc, the only characters who matter all the way to the end are Goku and Bulma, and Bulma is kind of on the edge I think.

Long before we met him he was already one of the strongest (if not THE strongest, barring Kami.) people on the planet and attained immortality. Hes just fuckin' chillin' at that point. The only times he wishes he was stronger were so he could watch the youngins fight.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember I had this DBZ magazine several years ago which had this short profile of Master Roshi that included the curiously specific factoid, "He became a pervert at the age of 123."

It's one of the few things I can recall really distinctly about the magazine, aside from the fact that it included a word search you could complete, cut out and post in to win a TV/VCR combo with tapes of the Big Green Tree of Might and Lord Slug dubs. I think maybe around 2000-ish or thereabouts, I think it might have been in the gap between Freeza and the Androids airing in the UK, and I think it was it was glossy, yellow, the cover had Goku and Gohan riding the Nimbus and it was listed as "No. 6".

I can only remember bizarrely specific facts about this thing but I can't even recall the actual title.

Oh man. I used to have a magazine like that too. It had some kickass posters, including one of Freeza reflecting in Trunks' sword.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This thread has made me recall one great summer some years ago, when my roommates and I would gather on just about a daily basis to play Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for the Wii (or, as we called it for short, DBZBT2FTW). The incredibly unbalanced characters and the imprecision of the controls combined to make an excellent leveler. One friend was really, really good at the game. Solution? Make him play as the Ginyu Force (or, when he was really on a roll, Yajirobe, Master Roshi, or other characters that couldn't even fly) while I play with Frieza, Teen Gohan, Piccolo, &c. (as long as that fucker didn't get Chiaotzu, who could zip around crazy quick and was so short as to make hitting him difficult). Vegeta had a bullshit energy blast spam attack that used so little energy that it could be recharged in the time it took the opponent to recover. As soon as he got it off once, he could do it over and over until you were dead. The only counter to this attack (which I recall reading on some online guide) was to reach over and punch your friend for being a dick.

I loved how certain matchups would get unique dialogue out of the characters (Goku vs. Frieza, Teen Gohan vs. Cell, Vegeta vs. Goku, &c.), I loved that Frieza could transform a ridiculous number of times, gaining health each time, I loved that you could perform fusions mid-battle if you had the proper characters in your roster, and most of all I loved the panicked feeling when the other guy would charge at you with a super move, you realize that, unlike in the PS2 version where you could quickly dash up, the only practical answer with the clunky Wii controls was to counter charge, and therefore you needed to drop the wiimote, spin the thumbstick as fast as you could, then recover the stupid wiimote (which hopefully you had strapped to your wrist) so you could keep the pressure on/recover.

Good times. I only ever played a bit of the single player stuff, but I vaguely recall some very nice alternate stories.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it worth watching the original anime at this point? I never got into DBZ when I was a kid, so. I have no experience with dragon ball in any form, and I don't feel like buying the manga at this point. Is there a list of non-filler episodes for the animes somewhere?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 22, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

icantfindaname posted:

Is it worth watching the original anime at this point? I never got into DBZ when I was a kid, so. I have no experience with dragon ball in any form, and I don't feel like buying the manga at this point. Is there a list of non-filler episodes for the animes somewhere?

There's Dragonball Kai, a more streamlined release of DBZ with slightly updated voice work and drawings.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Better to go with Kai. It pretty much cuts out all the filler bullshit. Trust me you don't want the whole FREIZA blows up the planet in 5 minutes and it takes like 10 episodes to do so!

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Don't watch Kai, watch Abridged

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Watch all of the Dragon Ball anime, then watch Kai.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cruel Rose posted:

Watch all of the Dragon Ball anime, then watch Kai.

Including all the various dubs, by order of release, rewatching episodes if they were rerun so you, too, can experience the pain of getting to Namek and then watching the next episode restart everything again, regardless of which dub you watch.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Seriously, Kai would be best. It's a Director's Cut, and since you don't have any nostalgic attachment to any of the other runs (like I do with the Faulconer soundtrack in the US dub) you are far, far better off going with Kai.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RickoniX posted:

Don't watch Kai, watch Abridged
It is seriously the best.

Various reasons: Dog biscuits, "eehh? ehhh? awww :(", Did I just see his foot?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Watch the original dub, and whenever something new happens on Namek watch all over again from the beginning of DBZ. Gets you the true experience.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

It is seriously the best.

Various reasons: Dog biscuits, "eehh? ehhh? awww :(", Did I just see his foot?

Any tips?
Throw dog treats at him.
What will that do?
I'll find it hiiiiiilllarious.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

a cartoon duck posted:

Watch the original dub, and whenever something new happens on Namek watch all over again from the beginning of DBZ. Gets you the true experience.
Read Curtis Hoffmann’s Dragonball manga chapter summaries off a local BBS, years before the series was ever shown on Cartoon Network, for the true experience. :colbert:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

a cartoon duck posted:

Only watch it in the afternoon one episode a day, but you have to rush from your local school and miss the first ten minutes of the episode if you want the real experience.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't forget to find some kids to practice screaming KAMEEEEEHAAAAAAMEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I actually first watched the androids and Cell well after Namek and Buu. I can't remember how many times I watched Frieza get sliced in half in third and fourth grade after school. We got rid of cable and didn't have it back until about halfway through sixth grade at which point I remember catching the first appearance of Super Buu and thinking, "Holy poo poo! When did all this happen," because at that point I wasn't into anime and didn't even know the show went past Namek. It wasn't until my junior year in university that I went back and watched everything post Namek in order.

• Locked thread