Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Boomer The Cannon posted:

There's one theory I haven't seen yet:

I almost made a joke about Mugatu finally taking out the Prime Rib-Roast of Propecia but it was 5 minutes after the news dropped and I felt it might be too soon.

This is an awful way to start a page, have some pika-plane.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Powercube posted:

Well, they're technically raked wingtips

168440 by Powercube, on Flickr

P-8s have them for cruise endurance. Going to have to disagree with you on this one as P-8s rarely get "low and slow".

I mean they definitely get low

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Good lord, if ever a case could be made for "take my plane... please!" this could be it right here. :barf:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Does the P-8A pictured earlier look to anyone else like it has a magnetic anomaly detector? I thought the USN dropped them from the build requirements?

Additionally, why would they do such a thing? What do they have now that fills that gap?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
P-8s for other customers (Australia?) are getting MAD.

E: I can't really tell but that plane doesn't look to have a MAD boom.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 20, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Duke Chin posted:

Good lord, if ever a case could be made for "take my plane... please!" this could be it right here. :barf:

Oh come on, that's a cute plane :3:

And I'm sad they're all retired. I wanted to fly one! :smith:

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Snowdens Secret posted:

P-8s for other customers (Australia?) are getting MAD.

E: I can't really tell but that plane doesn't look to have a MAD boom.

India's have MAD. Not sure if the RAAF's will. America's have something else. I think the official reasoning was that modern subs are so non ferrous a MAD is just a waste of time - which makes me think they either have some super secret sensor suite, or there's some sort of massive bullshit that will leave us with a huge capability gap. Given our current DOD thinking, it has to be the latter.

It does get low, but Boeing is right in saying that the raked wing tip is better for endurance. Especially when one factors in the transit time to an AO.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Davin Valkri posted:

There's a Japanese domestic market 777-300 that has a new Pokemon scheme, I believe. Presumably that will be in service for some time to come.

Unless you're talking about a 747-400D.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a Japanese domestic market 777-300 that has a new Pokemon scheme, I believe. Presumably that will be in service for some time to come.

Unless you're talking about a 747-400D.

All the pokeplane 74Ds are done. The last 74D ever is March 31.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
ed: ^^^ oh hey double-beaten

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh come on, that's a cute plane :3:

Hah, I hadn't even noticed that was a -400D. That livery is still obnoxious as all get out and I don't think I could see the plane from the pain there. :v: I like how it almost looks wallpaper'ed on, rather than actually painted. Like it could start delaminating and peeling off in flight.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 20, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

ed: ^^^ oh hey double-beaten

Hah, I hadn't even noticed that was a -400D. That livery is still obnoxious as all get out and I don't think I could see the plane from the pain there. :v: I like how it almost looks wallpaper'ed on, rather than actually painted. Like it could start delaminating and peeling off in flight.

In that picture how can you tell its a 400D? I can't see any extra upper deck windows and you can't see the wingtips.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

In that picture how can you tell its a 400D? I can't see any extra upper deck windows and you can't see the wingtips.

While it may not be a directly built 400D, all the NH 744s have been used as domestic shuttles for quite some time now. It's a defacto D.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sounds like Australia might have a hit on debris.

The story isn't exactly clear, but if it's the yellow area that's waaaay the hell south.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-australia-checking-objects-possibly-related-to-plane-1.2579606

Of course, the way this story is going it's quite possibly nothing and just as likely debris from the Japanese tsunami.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Sounds like Australia might have a hit on debris.

The story isn't exactly clear, but if it's the yellow area that's waaaay the hell south.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-australia-checking-objects-possibly-related-to-plane-1.2579606

Of course, the way this story is going it's quite possibly nothing and just as likely debris from the Japanese tsunami.

Probably won't be it. If it is, that puts a lot of credence on the "fire, turned to nearby airport, smoke got them" theory the one dude was throwing out.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

fknlo posted:

Probably won't be it. If it is, that puts a lot of credence on the "fire, turned to nearby airport, smoke got them" theory the one dude was throwing out.

If that is the story, then the CVR may not be of much help since it only records the last 2 hours of audio.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Are autopilots really so good as to be able to fly a plane with a dead crew that far? Assuming they actually found wreckage from 370, that is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Are autopilots really so good as to be able to fly a plane with a dead crew that far? Assuming they actually found wreckage from 370, that is.

Uh sure, heading hold and altitude hold was invented in 1912.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah. If they put it on a heading towards the emergency airport and died before doing anything else it would fly that heading/altitude until it ran out of gas.

Still always the possibility of pilot suicide or hijacking as well. Just fly to the middle of nowhere until it runs out of gas. The odds of ever finding it in a case like that is really slim.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's something that has literally happened before too. Well, not the dead crew bit, but the plane continuing on with no pilot.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/05/world/pilotless-soviet-jet-crosses-europe-before-crashing.html

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two objects spotted from satellite imagery, one blob is roughly 24 meters wide which points to it not just being a random shipping container floating around in the Indian Ocean.

Three more Orions are en route and a C-130 will be dropping data buoys in the area. US Navy said they have a predator/reaper in the area too, although visibility in the search zone is currently poor.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It also depends if the crew plugged the info into the FMC. LNAV AND VNAV mode will just fly the route, but will ask for pilot input at the Top Of Descent point. Not sure if the jet will actually start descending without the pilots consent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If it is debris from the plane, I wonder how close they'll be able to get to where it crashed based off of known currents and stuff like that?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Mr. Despair posted:

It's something that has literally happened before too. Well, not the dead crew bit, but the plane continuing on with no pilot.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/05/world/pilotless-soviet-jet-crosses-europe-before-crashing.html

Also happened with Payne Stewart's plane :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That's the first thing I thought of after reading ALL-PRO's post/question, too. :(

edit: upon re-reading that flight, I had never heard about Helios 522

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 20, 2014

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Saw some baby 737s today.
Aren't they cute? It's going to grow in to one of these and migrate to China. I can confirm the bullet holes thing, too, and also the occasional t-storm/tornado damage.

Powercube posted:

168757 by Powercube, on Flickr

Any idea why the raked wingtips would be off so far into the modification/flight test regimen?

I believe they're back on. It's being weighed and I think they get removed to move it from across the street to this side.
(edit: Wait, that's not the one sitting in front of CDC so I'm not totally sure yet).

What are you in for these pictures? It's a nice angle.

Edit again:
Speaking of CDC, it was officially announced about the new building construction. It'll come complete with jetways and fancy windows.
http://www.boeing.com/boeing/Features/2014/03/bca_delivery_center_03_18_14.page

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 20, 2014

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

AzureSkys posted:

What are you in for these pictures? It's a nice angle.

(Blue?) R22 if memory serves.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Silly RDAF.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Could they actually refuel from a petrol station?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Barnsy posted:

Could they actually refuel from a petrol station?

Yes.

No, silly. It's for a recruitment video ;)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

SeaborneClink posted:

(Blue?) R22 if memory serves.

Whoa, what's up fellow Seattleite - I see that and the yellow R44 flying around all the time.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Yes.

No, silly. It's for a recruitment video ;)

But you can totally top off the hydrazine APU no probs. :rimshot:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can can go the other way around though? Burn jet fuel in a diesel?

e: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-mh370-planes-ship-try-to-confirm-satellite-images-1.2579606

CBC now reporting those images of debris are 4 days old so they need to be tracked down again, but it's looking like the best lead yet for debris.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 20, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey guys, big fan of the thread. Saw this on imgur titled "787 wing stress test".

I'm I looking at this right? Are those the wings themselves being bent up there?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

slidebite posted:

Yep, Jet-A will burn just fine in any regular diesel engine.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Hey guys, big fan of the thread. Saw this on imgur titled "787 wing stress test".

I'm I looking at this right? Are those the wings themselves being bent up there?

Yeah, wing stress tests are pretty cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, wing stress tests are pretty cool.

Where on the wing would you expect to see failure under those conditions?

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

zoux posted:

Where on the wing would you expect to see failure under those conditions?

See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8N7gOe4bCI

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

The USAF uses JP8 in everything diesel. So yeah, Jet Fuel is largely Kerosene with additives anyways.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CommieGIR posted:

The USAF uses JP8 in everything diesel. So yeah, Jet Fuel is largely Kerosene with additives anyways.

Isn't that....expensive?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shampoo posted:

Isn't that....expensive?

Its the DoD, they spent outrageous amounts of money on things that have overinflated prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's crazy. Are there any natural conditions under which that kind of stress is even possible? Also, what does "154" mean in that context?