Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

Just replace Baton Pass. The only thing Sylveon can pass is Calm Mind and there are much better Baton Pass pokemon with Calm Mind like Espeon. For EVs, assuming you want a Cleric for Singles 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD is good. Maybe 252 Hp/168 Def/90 SpD if you want a more optimized spread. This avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Latios Psyshock 100% of the time and dumps the rest in Special Defense. If you have an imperfect HP you'll need more defense EVs, though.

or you could MAN UP and use both! My main team has a sylveon and an espeon, and they both kick rear end. Sylveon is a great calm mind passer because of its considerable special bulk, and if you've got hyper voice on there he is also excellent against pokes who want to sub up and start boosting themselves. Espeon I use to receive and pass along boosts, mostly, because it's fragile enough that it can't afford to spend all day boosting. He grabs a couple +1s, sweeps with stored power/dazzling gleam/shadow ball, and then if something seriously threatens him he can baton pass the boosts over to something else.

Personally, I run my sylveon with hyper voice, calm mind, wish and baton pass, because I use a Lum berry on him, and the Scrafty in my party is also extremely status-resistant. Heal bell wasn't pulling its weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LEGO Genetics posted:

ahahahahaha Aurorus is Ice/Rock typing what sadistic rear end in a top hat at Game Freak thought that was a good idea :psyduck:

I bred one with Mirror Coat but it's pretty much a huge gimmick. Maybe it would be better in doubles with a Mat Block partner and a refrigerated Hyper Beam.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I finally beat the game last night and I've had it since release :downs:.

I don't think I've ever lasted long enough in one of these games to actually finish them. What do I do now?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LEGO Genetics posted:

ahahahahaha Aurorus is Ice/Rock typing what sadistic rear end in a top hat at Game Freak thought that was a good idea :psyduck:

Don't forget that it's slow, and is a Special Attacking Rock type. That can't learn Power Gem.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bluff Buster posted:

Could this not be an opportunity to use, say Sword Dance or another stat-boosting move when your opponent expects a protect, or is this a case of over-predicting that usually doesn't work?

Depends on the set you're using. It works okay if you stand and fight, since Scolipede's fast enough that it'll probably hit the enemy before the enemy can hit them, but if you just sit there and try and Baton Pass that Swords Dance then the opponent will just use their boosts to kill whatever you pass to. Baton Passing is a pretty advanced strategy, because it's so easy for the opponent to take advantage of if you do something wrong or mispredict.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Xik posted:

I don't think I've ever lasted long enough in one of these games to actually finish them. What do I do now?

Now you go to Lumiose City and play the Looker Missions. Because Looker is cool.

Look at those eyebrows. Those are the eyebrows of a cool guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Xik posted:

Okay, you know that little Pokedex gadget you were given near the start of the game and were told to fill?

Fill it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Messed around on Showdown for a while. It's fun playing 1v1 with a Shedinja, there's a surprising amount of people that forget to bring anything that hits it and forfeit immediately. That said I do lose more often than I win, and there's not that many people playing 1v1, so eventually everyone wishes up and packs HP Fire or Toxic.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xik posted:

Are you sure you finished X/Y and not Red/Blue

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nippon nifties posted:

To be fair to the guy, I would've used all earlier-gen stuff if I didn't make a personal rule of "half my team has to be Gen 6 Pokemon."

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

nippon nifties posted:

I bred that Gen 1 themed team and started fresh from eggs after the 5th or 6th Gym. The team I had up until that point were pretty much all "newer" Pokemon, but they had got way too strong. The same thing happened with this team obviously but there was a bit of time while they were leveling up that things were challenging.

I could have bred another gimmick team from scratch again to take on the elite four and stuff but I just wanted to finish at that point and move on to whatever is in the post-game.

I liked doing that actually, breeding and training a themed team. I would probably enjoy doing it a bunch more but I'm not sure what I would do with the resulting team?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget that it's slow, and is a Special Attacking Rock type. That can't learn Power Gem.

There's a reason why they went extinct!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's... it's not worse than Bastiodon, is it?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Panchams on route 4.

Why wouldn't you feel bad about sending Panchams?

My first wondertrade was a caterpie. :colbert: No regrets, I wonder if it's still alive. I received a Bagon in return.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Darth TNT posted:

Why wouldn't you feel bad about sending Panchams?

Because Pangoros are awesome and the best addition to Gen 6.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pureauthor posted:

You spelled Sylveon wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Minrad posted:

It's... it's not worse than Bastiodon, is it?

Isn't Bastodon a tank with bad attacking stats a quadruple weakness to Fighting and Ground? I dunno much about the metagame, but that sounds pretty awful to me. At least ice dino can do decent damage and take a hit not from its weakness ingame.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I sent a bunch of Dwebbles to Wonder Trade a while back because they're cute and I ran into so many of them while looking for fossils.

Whatever you send, give it a nickname - it makes a difference. I got a Panpour of all things from Wonder Trade the other day, but I still smiled when I saw it was called Faucet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

No argument there. Pancham hasn't dissappointed me yet. I'm using an iron fist version.

I remember reading some suggestion about item farming pokes with frisk/thief combinations with a fainted poke with segmented eyes in front. Does that really work?

drat, the new dowsing machine is horrible. :( You can't skate or bike with it and it's far to inaccurate compared to previous things.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I'm only posting this so we can all mock the guy who ragequits WITH a "gently caress you" because he doesn't think his Slurpuff will survive the Flash Cannon from Sniper Kingdra.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-100604628

Florges survives and kills it, so it's not like it's unstoppable

Also, hilariously enough, despite Donphan, Victini and Galvantula being staples on OU teams until they got dropped to UU, Liligant, Ursaring, and Kingdra do WAY more for my team.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 20, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Txn posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-100106297

Testing a silly idea someone suggested in the IRC.

Banjo (Ursaring) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Facade
- Rest
- Rock Slide

Kazooie (Talonflame) (F)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Roost
- Tailwind

Gruntilda (Mismagius) (F) @ Eject Button
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Will-O-Wisp
- Power Gem
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Mumbo Jumbo (Marowak) (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Focus Energy
- Perish Song
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Bottles (Excadrill) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Klungo (Granbull) (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Any advice so they fit better with the B-K gimmick?

Just want to put it out there that this is amazing but Kazooie not having fly is a travesty.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Classtoise posted:

Donphan, Victini and Galvantula being staples on OU teams until they got dropped to UU
This is a contradiction in terms. If they weren't used enough on OU teams to not drop to UU they can't have been staples on OU teams. "Drop to" is a passive verb, not an active one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aston posted:

Just want to put it out there that this is amazing but Kazooie not having fly is a travesty.
Mismagius is way too skinny to be Gruntilda, I'd go for Gengar or Dusknoir.

But yeah, that's pretty amazing.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Nihilarian posted:

Dusknoir is a pretty good pick, Here's a moveset for you really quick.

Possible Moveset
Ominous Wind (STAB you could aqcuire, Possible stat boosts are also desired )
Shadow Punch (With this move you'll never miss, STAB boosts you gained, you can't diss)
Earthquake (Grunty's fat and full of spunk, This move will put opponents in a funk)
Painsplit (Backed in a corner and health is low, Take your opponents as a low blow)

This team is one i'd love to play, when you're done send a battle offer, Kay?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

:toot:

Finished in rather dramatic style as I found the last Moon Stone I needed for Nidoking as a Pickup reward from a Battle Chateau match with Diantha :).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

No argument there. Pancham hasn't dissappointed me yet. I'm using an iron fist version.

I remember reading some suggestion about item farming pokes with frisk/thief combinations with a fainted poke with segmented eyes in front. Does that really work?

drat, the new dowsing machine is horrible. :( You can't skate or bike with it and it's far to inaccurate compared to previous things.

Yep. For getting items that can only really gotten from wild Pokemon, like Heart Scales and Light Balls, Compoundeyes is essential, Frisk helps you avoid wasting time on Pokemon that don't have the item, and Thief is a nice alternative to having to catch them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spiffster posted:

Possible Moveset
Shadow Punch (With this move you'll never miss, STAB boosts you gained, you can't diss)
Earthquake (Grunty's fat and full of spunk, This move will put opponents in a funk)
Painsplit (Backed in a corner and health is low, Take your opponents as a low blow)

Thank you.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Has anyone posted the Trozei sprites? They're kind of adorable little things.

Palkia looks like a two-wheeled ATV of sorts. :allears:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Put up a blue winged vivillon on wondertrade and got a japanese froakie. What I didn't know is that it gives you the foreign language pokedex entry. Kinda makes me want to restart the game in french.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I used a TM to teach my Vileplume Venoshock and it one hit kills all npc opponents even without the massive damage boost from poison. Is there a good newbie's guide to setting up a team composition that revolves around it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

How Rude posted:

I used a TM to teach my Vileplume Venoshock and it one hit kills all npc opponents even without the massive damage boost from poison. Is there a good newbie's guide to setting up a team composition that revolves around it?

I would say you'd definitely need Toxic Spikes, since auto-spreading poison obviously helps. Rapid Spin isn't as hugely popular as it used to be, but running a ghost type to spin block isn't a bad idea either. You could even give them Hex, which gets a similar boost to Venoshock when the opponent has a status.

So I'd say your first decision is to find a Toxic Spikes user, a ghost type, and a Venoshock user you particularly like. From there see what your team is missing in terms of offense and defense, and try to find Pokemon that cover those deficiencies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Darth TNT posted:

Yes it does. It's the only way I item farm now. Bulbapedia entry. I usually run a KO'd lvl. 1 Joltik, a Frisk Pumpkaboo with Thief, then four Pickup Pumpkaboo's so I get extra items as well, plus Pickup is the only way to get extra Leftovers (once the Pickup Pokemon is level 91-100, and then it's a 1% of 10% or something stupid).

Synchronize works the same way too if I remember correctly, however you can't stack Synchronize with Cute Charm to always get the nature/gender you want, which is a drat shame.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 20, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The White Dragon posted:

To be fair to the guy, I would've used all earlier-gen stuff if I didn't make a personal rule of "half my team has to be Gen 6 Pokemon."
Yeah, I noticed early on that the only Gen 6 Pokemon I was using was my starter. I wasn't until I ran across Honedge that a Gen 6 mon made me say "I have got to have this". I ended up getting one off the GTS, and she was strong from the word go. I also decided I needed a Fairy Type, since it was the first new type since GSC (which was before I started playing). I tried Florges first, but having no offensive presence didn't pan out, so I ended up using a Japanese Ralts I got off the GTS, which worked much better.

My final team ended up being Chesnaught, Aegislash, Charizard, Gardevoir, Haxorus, and Linoone. All of them were new to me in some way: Chesnaught and Aegislash were Gen 6, Charizard had a Mega-evo, Gardevoir was part Fairy, I never touched Haxorus in B/W, so it counted as a new Pokemon for me, and Linoone acted as my Pickup/HM slave who could actually fight for himself with Return/Shadow Claw and his new move Play Rough.

I can't wait for Z/X2/Y2, I want to try a team made solely from Wonder Trade.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Countblanc posted:

I would say you'd definitely need Toxic Spikes, since auto-spreading poison obviously helps. Rapid Spin isn't as hugely popular as it used to be, but running a ghost type to spin block isn't a bad idea either. You could even give them Hex, which gets a similar boost to Venoshock when the opponent has a status.

So I'd say your first decision is to find a Toxic Spikes user, a ghost type, and a Venoshock user you particularly like. From there see what your team is missing in terms of offense and defense, and try to find Pokemon that cover those deficiencies.

Vileplume is my favorite pokemon so I am ok on that part. Since venoshock relies on poison I need to get some pokemon that wreck Flying, Steel, and Poison types since toxic spikes doesn't work on them. Thanks for the advice!

Are there any useless status effects I should not bother using? Sleep seems really powerful but I could be wrong for whatever reason.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Hirobyte/status/446704520455012353

A hacker managed to get Nanab berries in the game. From what I can tell it's not available through mutations or any in game items. The description text says "A rare berry in the Unova Region"

E: Actually, it's from the Action Replay powersaves. They hacked all the berries into the game.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 20, 2014

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

It could be Game Over Gruntilda, that version is pretty skinny.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
What's the best way to get battle points in Black 2? I have no powerful pokemon left so I've been doing Rental Battles at the PWT but getting 1-2 points per every three battles is taking forever to do.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are any of the Eevee forms viable for VCG?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Aston posted:

gently caress! Why I did I forgot that? Fly with Lagging Tail should make it pretty much invinsible outside of Hurricane/Thunder and No Guard.

Spiffster posted:

Possible Moveset

This is amazing :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Txn posted:

gently caress! Why I did I forgot that? Fly with Lagging Tail should make it pretty much invinsible outside of Hurricane/Thunder and No Guard.

The 2nd turn attack will still get the +1 priority (it's still flying type and you still have Gale Wings), so they'll just hit you afterwards.

• Locked thread