Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

LEGO Genetics posted:

They weren't kidding at all.
trying to do the last quest of Bloodmoon and trying to protect the captain while fighting off three werewolves at a time was by far the hardest thing I had to do in game
i did this quest as a werewolf for hircine, it's way harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone try tamriel rebuilt?

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
I remember a few years ago when ycs had a million page morrowind thread and I read through every page and I'm doing it again :allears:

what do people think of New Vegas? I recently got a computer that can run it and I thought it'd be fun since I love morrowind and fallout and it was $5 or something. I've put a bunch of hours into it but I can't shake the feeling that it just sucks and is consolized stillbirth. then again maybe im just a boring bitter adult and games are not fun anymore. but I feel like I want to uninstall it and install morrowind with the new graphics mods that my old pc could never handle

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
New Vegas tends to make me homesick for Morrowind. It's a pretty awesome game, but a lot of it's awesome features are things like hand placed loot that reminds me of Morrowind, and I get tired of the endless desert and want some swamp instead, so I never seem to play FONV long before switching over to Morrowind. :shrug:

It does have really awesome companions though if you're into that.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
New Vegas was the best actually narrative-driven Video Game Story we got in this generation and I'm looking forward to seeing what it inspires. Of course this is wishful thinking because there are people out there who thought Fallout 3 had better writing than New Vegas and these people are apparently the majority, what can you do.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Eustachy posted:

I remember a few years ago when ycs had a million page morrowind thread and I read through every page and I'm doing it again :allears:

what do people think of New Vegas? I recently got a computer that can run it and I thought it'd be fun since I love morrowind and fallout and it was $5 or something. I've put a bunch of hours into it but I can't shake the feeling that it just sucks and is consolized stillbirth. then again maybe im just a boring bitter adult and games are not fun anymore. but I feel like I want to uninstall it and install morrowind with the new graphics mods that my old pc could never handle

the "consolized stillbirth" feeling is just a remnant of fallout 3.

keep playing, it gets better once you get to the strip and start to get a feel for the overall plot and the various factions and major players.

great DLC too.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Heavy Lobster posted:

New Vegas was the best actually narrative-driven Video Game Story we got in this generation

are you loving kidding me mate. How can you possibly justify this post

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

are you loving kidding me mate. How can you possibly justify this post

You're right I totally forgot about Uncharted But With Not Zombies, sorry bout that

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
FONV was great but you desperately need to mod it to get rid of some dumb poo poo, like you and NPCs alike shrugging off full clips to the face like it's no thing

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

If that's supposed to be The Last of Us, I thought that was shite too

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

If that's supposed to be The Last of Us, I thought that was shite too

ya you got it chief! :thumbsup: two posts in and you still haven't actually provided any example of what you might think is better so I'm gonna call your bluff

Seriously what else are even contenders? Gone Home was a really good and solid experiment, Alpha Protocol had a lot of interchangeable parts that actually came together, Spec Ops actually went out of the way to criticize shooters (Hotline Miami sorta did this from another angle), that's all I can really think of.

I guess when I think of NV's story I think of it as the best integrated with the world of the game itself, insofar as it creates an internally consistent and generally very thematically sound game. You can call ~ludonarrative dissonance~ on loving off and doing open world stuff but as far as a current gen game that actually gave a poo poo about creating a product that makes its themes not only clear to the player but also unified across the entire playtime NV really knocked it out of the park.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

TequilaJesus posted:

Anyone try tamriel rebuilt?

Its pretty awesome, although quests are a bit thin on the ground.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tamriel Rebuilt is awesome, NV is awesome, FO3 is poo poo, Morrowind is rad
:c00l:

That isn't even up for debate.

NV is the best game of its kind the last console generation (but don't play it on console scrub), Morrowind was the best of its kind the one before that.

NV still has the best complete cohesive world and story probably ever

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Fallout 3 was a perfectly fun game. Its writing was undoubtedly inferior to New Vegas and its gameplay is hot garbage by comparison, but the setting and music were more appealing and I thought the final quest was much more satisfying. Neither game comes close to Morrowind, however.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

What are NV's "internally consistent and generally very sound" themes, and how are they conveyed throughout the game? I did play it all the way up until the final battle and i'm struggling to think of any particular theme the game revolved around I'm p much always disappointed by CYOA type RPGs because those themes typically get lost in the name of player freedom, and I end up admiring the technical achievement of all those "interlocking parts" but not actually getting any lasting feeling or message out of the story. Linear but well-told thematically strong vidgame stories are often more enjoyable imo (unironically the story I enjoyed most in this console gen was Deadly Premonition, real Freudian clusterfuck of a plot that couldn't have been told better in any other medium)

I wouldn't claim Morrowind had a 'good story' either really, it had a great idea for one and a great setting but a lot of it was told by ferrying bits of paper back and forth

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought New Vegas managed a pretty successful blend between the original Fallout-style choice-driven quests and the Bethesda/Fallout 3 style of open world freedom, definitely the best blend of the two styles I've ever seen. It certainly wasn't perfect, but if you admit that to Mortimer it means you hate Sega or something.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
morrowind is fun

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001

What are NV's "internally consistent and generally very sound" themes, and how are they conveyed throughout the game? I did play it all the way up until the final battle and i'm struggling to think of any particular theme the game revolved around I'm p much always disappointed by CYOA type RPGs because those themes typically get lost in the name of player freedom, and I end up admiring the technical achievement of all those "interlocking parts" but not actually getting any lasting feeling or message out of the story. Linear but well-told thematically strong vidgame stories are often more enjoyable imo (unironically the story I enjoyed most in this console gen was Deadly Premonition, real Freudian clusterfuck of a plot that couldn't have been told better in any other medium)

I wouldn't claim Morrowind had a 'good story' either really, it had a great idea for one and a great setting but a lot of it was told by ferrying bits of paper back and forth

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

lmbo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For real though the Daggerfallians sure loved the lost art of letter-writing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

reinstalling morrowind now.
does anyone remember if wearing the mournhold ordinator armor pissses off the normal ordinators?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I reinstalled and between Chocolate and some memory damage I have no idea what I'm doing and it owns

Chocolate Pack (I think it's Wakim's Game Improvements doing it) lets you pay people like the dark elf guildmaster in Balmora's mage guild to use their spells/barter/travel/etc way before you should be able to. Downside: It also makes it so if you're a shitlord with no level in their guild, everyone makes you pay the surcharge of 100 septims.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I never quite got into morrowind and tbh I think I'd just get mad over the mechanical flimsiness of it. just not my boat

for starters the DLC beats you over the head with its themes straight off

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What the dick are you talking about

What dlc and what themes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would like to own a scrib irl

it would thump its tail on things and paralyse burgulars

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Penguingo posted:

stunlocking a burglar with paralysis would be more effective than any other policing method

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Penguingo posted:

only if the burglars hit it first though

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd give anything for a mechanized model of a thumping scrib.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ain't no one jackin my pillows

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shoehead posted:

Ain't no one jackin my pillows

morrowind thread, I have to ask: am I a scrub/fetcher if I prefer the Dura gra bol house instead of the Hlaalo manor y/n

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Temaukel posted:

morrowind thread, I have to ask: am I a scrub/fetcher if I prefer the Dura gra bol house instead of the Hlaalo manor y/n

Telvanni towers are the best, you n'wah!

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I always killed the dunmer lady in the pawnshop across from Ra'Virr's place in Balmora. no bed but its a good storage spot right next to the silt strider

Taking over the Council Club is good too after you waste the Cammona Tong guys in there

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I was always a big fan of Balyn Omavel's house - he's outside it so you don't have to kill him, it has a kickass trapdoor on the roof to jump in through, and is just out of the way enough from the stores to feel ~special~.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
trick question, s'wits: the Clockwork City is objectively the best house in the game

pros:
-barilzar's mazed band teleports you there and back without mark, so you can have two houses (the other obviously being the pocket dimension)
-last three levels are free of spawning monsters
-hallways filled with literally hundreds of perfect display platforms in perfect rows

cons:
-dead god in the bedroom (unless you're into that sort of thing)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Karl Rove posted:

cons:
-dead god in the bedroom (unless you're into that sort of thing)

That's only a con because you can't bring the other two three dead gods. You can put their souls on display tho.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I still live in foryn gilnith's shack. There's not much storage space but Ive placed a suit of ebony armor with a daedric face of whatever and a skooma pipe on the hammock, and assembled it so it looks like I got a totally conked out crazy buddy just chillin there. Btw Can commanded creatures use doors? Cause i gotta say my deadbeat loving roommate is bummin me out and I could use a pet scrib or something.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I still live in foryn gilnith's shack. There's not much storage space but Ive placed a suit of ebony armor with a daedric face of whatever and a skooma pipe on the hammock, and assembled it so it looks like I got a totally conked out crazy buddy just chillin there. Btw Can commanded creatures use doors? Cause i gotta say my deadbeat loving roommate is bummin me out and I could use a pet scrib or something.

i don't know about creatures, but npcs definitely can. i once decided to move everyone in balmora to the big dwemer ruin nearby that has the puzzle box

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
you can move silt strider dudes and they still provide travel

too bad you can't get them to follow you through mark/recall or they'd be a great acquisition for Pocket Dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

you can move silt strider dudes and they still provide travel

too bad you can't get them to follow you through mark/recall or they'd be a great acquisition for Pocket Dimension

player->placeatpc0,0,0 "npc_id" 1

or something

seriously though I've been working on a Magas Volar mod for a while now to turn it both into a proper house and give it a real quest to get it other than "go fight daedra in chamber"

• Locked thread