Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Hey looking for an RPG with a good crafting system, the more useful to the game the better. If possible it would be a pc, psp or DS game. I have tried the first mana khemia game and i liked the system but wasnt convinced on the game, though if anyone can tell me if the game itself is good I might try it again. Also just finished rune factory 3, good crafting but kind of short. Being able to gather crafting materials outside of monster drops is a plus. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kea posted:

Hey looking for an RPG with a good crafting system, the more useful to the game the better. If possible it would be a pc, psp or DS game. I have tried the first mana khemia game and i liked the system but wasnt convinced on the game, though if anyone can tell me if the game itself is good I might try it again. Also just finished rune factory 3, good crafting but kind of short. Being able to gather crafting materials outside of monster drops is a plus. Thanks in advance.

Minecraft
Starbound
7 Days to die

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Minecraft
Starbound
7 Days to die

Played all 3, was hoping for something with more story. Sorry I should have mentioned that!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kea posted:

Played all 3, was hoping for something with more story. Sorry I should have mentioned that!

I think 'RAGE' had a bunch of crafting from what I heard.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I know this is probably going to be a long shot, but is there any game that is sort of like XCOM but will also run on a low-end computer? I know that the whole genre is woefully underrepresented, and I haven't really seen much like it in ages; The old xcom games are, by now, completely inaccessible due to their age, the UI, and being generally far too difficult to really get into, and I'm not aware of much else to scratch that particular itch.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

mortons stork posted:

I know this is probably going to be a long shot, but is there any game that is sort of like XCOM but will also run on a low-end computer? I know that the whole genre is woefully underrepresented, and I haven't really seen much like it in ages; The old xcom games are, by now, completely inaccessible due to their age, the UI, and being generally far too difficult to really get into, and I'm not aware of much else to scratch that particular itch.

Jagged Alliance 2 is really good, but it probably has a tougher interface to learn than the original Xcom.

You could try Fallout Tactics, too. Really underrated tactical squad combat game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I know I'm speaking from the standpoint of a sperg who completed JA2 multiple times throughout the years, but really, I don't think the interface is that bad. Sure, there might be a lot of things going on, especially with 1.13, but it's not that hard to grasp, I think.

X-COM Apocalypse has a different aesthetic and feel to it than the previous games in the series, but once you get into it it's very good. It kinda does have a difficult interface though, but the graphics are fine, imo.

Don't know how low-end we're talking, but Silent Storm is great and has amazing terrain destruction.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Don't know how low-end we're talking, but Silent Storm is great and has amazing terrain destruction.

It's pretty bare-bones. It's a dual core i5 and onboard graphics card, so pretty limited overall. Thanks for your suggestions anyway, I think I'll be giving Jagged Alliance 2 a whirl, if nothing else pops up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

mortons stork posted:

Seconding the Fallout: Tactics recommendation. There is no base building but each soldier is more customizable than in XCom.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

mortons stork posted:

See if OpenXCOM addresses your concerns with accessibility. It's a recent 'port' that rebuilt the game from the ground up and added a bunch of new streamlining features. Mousing over buttons on the UI now has a popup message. You can even customize the difficulty among many many other options.

JA2 is a solid recommendation, especially if you want to go crazy with the 1.13 patch.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fat Samurai posted:

Seconding the Fallout: Tactics recommendation. There is no base building but each soldier is more customizable than in XCom.

Thirding Fallout: Tactics. The very first level is a bit of a slog since you don't get to pick your teammates, but after that, it gets really fun.

Also, a warning: The full name of the game is Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. Do not accidentally purchase Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It's a very, very different game and you'd be better off eating your money than using it to buy that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

mortons stork posted:

It's pretty bare-bones. It's a dual core i5 and onboard graphics card, so pretty limited overall. Thanks for your suggestions anyway, I think I'll be giving Jagged Alliance 2 a whirl, if nothing else pops up.

Well, it's a 2003 game, so I think you'll be ok with that setup. Listed requirements are 128 rams and 32 vidya rams :v:

There's also the UFO: After* series, which is a sort of an X-COM clone, except the combat is real-time with pause. Aftermath is ok but a bit simplistic. Aftershock is pretty decent and imo different enough from X-COM to be interesting. I didn't play Afterlight, so can't comment on that.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Kea posted:

Infinite Undiscovery

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's the next game I should play if I want something like the Souls games? Dark, challenging, numberful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most roguelikes. The real ones, not the action hybrids spamming Steam lately.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking for a PC fantasy RPG like TES/Skyrim, but party-based like NWN. Something relatively new and pretty, so not in the NWN/Planescape/BG era, and no MMOs or Diablo-clickfests either (I have plenty). Preferably not isometric either, or at least the option to vary perspective. Other members of my party could be NPCs as long as I can fully customize/equip them, or they can be fully controlled. Dragon Age: Origin's gameplay was on the right track, but the world/story and skill trees didn't grab me and I never looked into DA2. Ideally there would be gamepad support, but I could do without.

It seems like Dragon's Dogma covered most if not all of these, but alas it's console exclusive.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I'm looking for a PC fantasy RPG like TES/Skyrim, but party-based like NWN. Something relatively new and pretty, so not in the NWN/Planescape/BG era, and no MMOs or Diablo-clickfests either (I have plenty). Preferably not isometric either, or at least the option to vary perspective. Other members of my party could be NPCs as long as I can fully customize/equip them, or they can be fully controlled. Dragon Age: Origin's gameplay was on the right track, but the world/story and skill trees didn't grab me and I never looked into DA2. Ideally there would be gamepad support, but I could do without.

It seems like Dragon's Dogma covered most if not all of these, but alas it's console exclusive.

Dragon's Dogma not being on the PC or moddable is such a shame.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

sticklefifer posted:

Wait for Project Eternity?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Here's maybe a weird one. I love me some collecting. I'm looking for some games that have a good chunk of unique things to collect, perhaps in a grid or checklist that can be filled out. Maybe they are useful in-game items displayed in a grid like in a Zelda style game, or a large collection of weapons like in a Dynasty Warriors, or even characters to recruit like in Suikoden. Even better is if these collectables can be upgraded like in Ratchet & Clank. if I've got some sort of graphical representation showing me how many Things I have left to collect that I get to fill in as the game progresses, then my OCD is happy.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Ulty posted:

Here's maybe a weird one. I love me some collecting. I'm looking for some games that have a good chunk of unique things to collect, perhaps in a grid or checklist that can be filled out. Maybe they are useful in-game items displayed in a grid like in a Zelda style game, or a large collection of weapons like in a Dynasty Warriors, or even characters to recruit like in Suikoden. Even better is if these collectables can be upgraded like in Ratchet & Clank. if I've got some sort of graphical representation showing me how many Things I have left to collect that I get to fill in as the game progresses, then my OCD is happy.

Pokemon.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Uncle Ulty posted:

Risk of Rain and Binding of Isaac both keep track of your unlocks exactly like you mention. The latter is the better game by far, but Risk of Rain isn't bad either.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Uncle Ulty posted:

The new South Park game actually has this. You collect all the armors in the game and there is a chart that shows graphically how many are left.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I watched my friend play a bit of the South Park game, and it looked pretty fun. But if it also has all of what I'm looking for, then I'll have to grab it. I'll check out Risk of Rain too - it could have promise. I have Binding of Isaac, and my only problem with that one is that it doesn't let you keep the items that you collect, and it's all random, so there's no way to seek out the items you're missing, so I'm not sure if Roguelikes are my jam. That being said, I did like the castle building and upgrading that you do in Rogue Legacy, as well as collecting the blueprints for new weapons and armor.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm looking for something to scratch my Ninja Gaiden itch. Something where I violently slice people into pieces with a deep and fast combat system, multiple weapons with unique combo sets, etc. Preferably on PC and playable with a controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Revengeance? Or Devil May Cry 4.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Uncle Ulty posted:

Here's maybe a weird one. I love me some collecting.

I also love collecting :3: sadly our OCD is not much of a priority for most games. The LEGO games are decent for having tons of stuff to unlock, but probably one of the best collecting experiences I've had recently is running around collecting artifacts in RIFT. It's an MMO, but it's free to play and you don't have to actually do any MMOing to collect the artifacts (although it's certainly easier if you're somewhat close to the level of the zone...)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Revengeance? Or Devil May Cry 4.

Revengeance has everything he wants except for a ton of different weapons.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Well, it's a 2003 game, so I think you'll be ok with that setup. Listed requirements are 128 rams and 32 vidya rams :v:

There's also the UFO: After* series, which is a sort of an X-COM clone, except the combat is real-time with pause. Aftermath is ok but a bit simplistic. Aftershock is pretty decent and imo different enough from X-COM to be interesting. I didn't play Afterlight, so can't comment on that.

I've looked at Silent Storm and it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. Thank you anyway. I'll definitely be going for Jagged Alliance and Fallout Tactics though. Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Orv
May 4, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

You're mostly out of luck in terms of modern games, but give some footage of the Game of Thrones RPG from last year a look, it might keep you until Eternity/Tides. It plays like KOTOR/DA:O in some ways.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Yeah Revengeance was going to be my next stop but I was hoping for something older (and thus cheaper); I'll just save my nickels until I can afford $30 if Revengeance is the best option for what I'm looking for.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Danger Mahoney posted:

What's the next game I should play if I want something like the Souls games? Dark, challenging, numberful.

How about FromSoftware's previous games? Yeah, they made plenty of fantasy RPGs before Demons Souls.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

mortons stork posted:

I've looked at Silent Storm and it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.
Why is that? Curious.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Danger Mahoney posted:

Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
What games are there that are like Solstice (NES)?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Funktor posted:

What games are there that are like Solstice (NES)?

There's Equinox on the SNES and Altered Space on the Gameboy which from the same developer as Solstice.

Landstalker on the Genesis and Dark Savior on the Saturn are action RPGs with similar isometric platforming.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Is Rage (360) any good? I want something that will satisfy the borderlands "this is a better gun, let's go shoot people" elements but without the borderlands aesthetic, and someone recommended it. Is it essentially the COD + diablo clone I'm looking for?

Wow, I just went and looked at it a little more closely, and the guy who recommended it completely mis-represented it.
I guess I'm looking for a shooter with RPG elements that isn't Borderlands. Any recommendations for the 360?

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 21, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

Is Rage (360) any good? I want something that will satisfy the borderlands "this is a better gun, let's go shoot people" elements but without the borderlands aesthetic, and someone recommended it. Is it essentially the COD + diablo clone I'm looking for?

Wow, I just went and looked at it a little more closely, and the guy who recommended it completely mis-represented it.
I guess I'm looking for a shooter with RPG elements that isn't Borderlands. Any recommendations for the 360?

Off the top of my head Fallout New Vegas works very well as an fps/rpg hybrid, much better than Fallout 3. Though I imagine you have probably allready played this. The STALKER series are basically FPS games with missions and such in a semi open world, so that might fit too though they are PC only.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

DoomRPG with DoomRL Arsenal. If you only try one of those go for the Arsenal. It's PC, but it'll run on any of them :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 22, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Lately I've been in the mood for a good fantasy RPG, but feel like I've played them all.

Specifics, I'm definitely looking for a good involved story and interesting characters and such, and I love games where finding new loot and equipment upgrades is fun and satisfying, I love games with tons of character creation options, would prefer combat to be more about strategy and such, than reflexes.

The more unique a universe the better, just having medieval europe with dragons and elves is boring. Tone wise, I'm ok with dark or light, just as long as it isn't super goofy, like Borderlands or something.

I'm not looking for games where the story is... 'subtle' for lack of a better word, like Diablo 2 or Dark Souls kinda. As I said I'm not looking for intense action, something more like a Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age, rather than Skyrim or the Witcher 2.

I'm willing to play older stuff, as long as it's good, and doesn't look absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Penakoto posted:

Lately I've been in the mood for a good fantasy RPG, but feel like I've played them all.

Specifics, I'm definitely looking for a good involved story and interesting characters and such, and I love games where finding new loot and equipment upgrades is fun and satisfying, I love games with tons of character creation options, would prefer combat to be more about strategy and such, than reflexes.

The more unique a universe the better, just having medieval europe with dragons and elves is boring. Tone wise, I'm ok with dark or light, just as long as it isn't super goofy, like Borderlands or something.

I'm not looking for games where the story is... 'subtle' for lack of a better word, like Diablo 2 or Dark Souls kinda. As I said I'm not looking for intense action, something more like a Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age, rather than Skyrim or the Witcher 2.

I'm willing to play older stuff, as long as it's good, and doesn't look absolutely terrible.

Neverwinter Nights, perhaps?