Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

evol262 posted:

This has exactly the same problems as Gentoo. New users have no idea what they're picking in portconfs or make.conf, have no idea what the compiler output means (it's 'gibberish' to them as well), and will quickly get frustrated with spending all their time installing random stuff, assuming they can even find anything they give a poo poo about installing.

Read the CentOS Deployment Guide or the FreeBSD handbook instead.

FreeBSD handbook is definitely a must if you are using it.

I'd only suggest compiling on FreeBSD because it's so easy with the ports tree. That's true about the portsconf, but you can always go back and re-compile with new options when you miss it. All part of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

Welp, I just got the phone call I never thought I would get. Looks like I am getting a boat after all. Talked to my new boss and he gave me the greenlight to take off after lunch. We didn't quite hit the 10k mark, but its close enough. I asked for a cash-years check and they are ready to receive me at about 11:30 today.

I believe the current status is that the consulting company got the internet working but none of the web servicing back up. I am probably going to configure a few firewall natting rules for external ip's or something simple.

It appears I will be showing the consulting company my magic during the fix. Hoping to be browsing the bass pro boat yard by 3 today.

Its like I just won a loving scratch off or something.

I'm 3 pages behind, so if things have changed, sorry.

Post the drat boat.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I also bought a boat two weeks ago. Still haven't decided on a name though.

The Needful?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but how do you know how to "break things"?

Install Arch. It starts out almost useless. You will break things by trying to do basic things like "connect to the internet and log onto SA." Ditto FreeBSD, but Arch has the added bonus of breaking every month using the magic of rolling release.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Some days I wish IT management was more about IT and less about management. Don't think I've gotten anything done this week except for finance accrual stuff, meetings and management. Very little IT stuff.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The eSeparation web portal strikes again!

After having iterations between my manager and HR for several days, we have discovered who my Reporting Manager is, so I'm now off of page one of my eSeparation process.

Page two I apparently cannot complete until I return by badge, RSA token and laptop to $company.

But then how do I fill out pages three four and five of the application when I no longer have no RSA token to access the web app via the extranet and I don't have a badge to gain access to the closest $company office 80 miles away?

Yeah.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

The eSeparation web portal strikes again!

After having iterations between my manager and HR for several days, we have discovered who my Reporting Manager is, so I'm now off of page one of my eSeparation process.

Page two I apparently cannot complete until I return by badge, RSA token and laptop to $company.

But then how do I fill out pages three four and five of the application when I no longer have no RSA token to access the web app via the extranet and I don't have a badge to gain access to the closest $company office 80 miles away?

Yeah.

Does doing any of this benefit you in some way?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

Does doing any of this benefit you in some way?

Honestly? I can't imagine how it could.

I told my boss (who apparently isn't my boss) that if we can't get this resolved by tomorrow then I'm giving up and plopping token/laptop/badge on his desk on my last day and taking a picture of it for proof of delivery.

Also, my deployment manager just signed me up to do a 80-server deployment whose deadline is Mid-August. Guess who hasn't been notified yet? Hah hah.

Being a short-timer is a ton of fun. I'd thought that I might take some vacation during my last two weeks and goof off a bit, but now I've decided to keep the extra cash and goof off on their dime. It's way more satisfying...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

A c E posted:

FreeBSD handbook is definitely a must if you are using it.

I'd only suggest compiling on FreeBSD because it's so easy with the ports tree. That's true about the portsconf, but you can always go back and re-compile with new options when you miss it. All part of the fun.

I'd basically say that the FreeBSD handbook and CentOS deployment guide (or Fedora deployment guides) should be read from front to back and the steps followed by new *nix people. There are essentially zero requisite tasks for jr admins which are not thoroughly covered by these guides.

Instead of "install Arch, watch stuff break and paste random poo poo into your terminal from the Arch forums to try to fix it" or "install FreeBSD, beat your head against the wall when you find out that you have to sit in front of a console for 6 hours while it finds dependencies and repeatedly prompts you when you suddenly want ruby support in ports because you don't use the right port management software". These are great systems for people who know exactly what they're doing. Not people learning it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

An important person at my work has managed to make it so that their work telephone calls their father nonstop all day and night. This has been going on for more than a day now, and they just told me.

I can probably dig into the pbx to figure out what's going on, but it might be hilarious enough to just give it a few weeks first.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo not pissing me off today?

We are moving next week to the upstairs floor of the building we are in. Upstairs in a horrible mess of tangles for the dsl line, and to fix it they would charge 500$ to do so.

We are going to FINALLY move to cable internet with 70Mb/s download and 6Mb/s upload. :woop:

Currently we are on 12/2. :v:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

An important person at my work has managed to make it so that their work telephone calls their father nonstop all day and night. This has been going on for more than a day now, and they just told me.

I can probably dig into the pbx to figure out what's going on, but it might be hilarious enough to just give it a few weeks first.

This is kind of interesting. If you are in front of the phone can you tell that it's making the call?
I'm having a hard time thinking of a feature that when enabled would do something like that, unless he accidentally forwarded his phone to his dad's number thinking he was programming a speed call. Let us know what you find out, I'm very curious.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sigh, I am going to bullet point this to avoid it getting wordy:

1> I manage a dept that does doc imaging.
2> We had 2 full time staff six months ago.
3> During the course of the year, there are some months where the dept runs in the red, but due to the difficulty in finding good people to do this work and the extensive training involved, we kept them on full time. It all evened out and the dept was profitable on a yearly basis.
4> Late last year, in a bullshit move that was to cut labor costs to make things look better for the impending sale, we let go one of the two full timers(THIS LEAVES US WITH A ONE PERSON POINT OF FAILURE.) I disagreed with this choice.
5> Our most important project requires a daily turnaround. So we have one person who's been doing it for years, if they quit/die/get fired, we have no way to continue this project at that pace. The workload is such that one person with years of experience doing it is working at near 100% capacity.
6> A few weeks ago, we bring on two temps for another project, similar work.
7> Our last full timer walks in on a Tuesday and says "My last day is Thursday." Two days notice.
8> Her last two days are spent trying to train up one of the temps.

Now, as you might expect, things are backing up, we're not turning things around daily and errors are being made. There's no easy way out, we can't just "hire" someone who knows this project.

What is the lesson learned from all of this? Apparently it's that I am a bad manager.

gently caress this place today, I am about a fart's width from just walking out.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
"Why is the password on the guest network so easy to 'hack'"

Yeah, we've got the password as a nice easy one to remember so people can give it out to people as required without having to ask IT to get them set up. It's not easy to 'hack', it's designed to be handed out like candy.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
This little gently caress-you buried in Technet:

"Note that you cannot convert a domain controller that runs an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 directly to a retail version."

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This is kind of interesting. If you are in front of the phone can you tell that it's making the call?
I'm having a hard time thinking of a feature that when enabled would do something like that, unless he accidentally forwarded his phone to his dad's number thinking he was programming a speed call. Let us know what you find out, I'm very curious.

voicemail notification or follow me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlternateAccount posted:

Sigh, I am going to bullet point this to avoid it getting wordy:

1> I manage a dept that does doc imaging.
2> We had 2 full time staff six months ago.
3> During the course of the year, there are some months where the dept runs in the red, but due to the difficulty in finding good people to do this work and the extensive training involved, we kept them on full time. It all evened out and the dept was profitable on a yearly basis.
4> Late last year, in a bullshit move that was to cut labor costs to make things look better for the impending sale, we let go one of the two full timers(THIS LEAVES US WITH A ONE PERSON POINT OF FAILURE.) I disagreed with this choice.
5> Our most important project requires a daily turnaround. So we have one person who's been doing it for years, if they quit/die/get fired, we have no way to continue this project at that pace. The workload is such that one person with years of experience doing it is working at near 100% capacity.
6> A few weeks ago, we bring on two temps for another project, similar work.
7> Our last full timer walks in on a Tuesday and says "My last day is Thursday." Two days notice.
8> Her last two days are spent trying to train up one of the temps.

Now, as you might expect, things are backing up, we're not turning things around daily and errors are being made. There's no easy way out, we can't just "hire" someone who knows this project.

What is the lesson learned from all of this? Apparently it's that I am a bad manager.

gently caress this place today, I am about a fart's width from just walking out.

Do it. Move the blame chain up :unsmigghh:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

One of our clients got bought a while back by a much larger company, and they've been slowly borging everything for a few years. They've finally gotten around to the desktop level, and a month or two ago were planning out a migration to Windows 7 for all our client's users, who are still stuck on XP. We had said probably third-quarter would be a good target for completion.

Flash-forward to this past Monday and they say "actually we'd like to get it done by the EOL date of XP". Which is in a month. That's 90 computers being replaced, a bunch of line of business apps that are still on the old domain (and will stay on the old domain so we need to test connecting to them from machines on the new domain), random apps that need to be deployed to the new computers, many of which aren't so good with dealing with Windows 7, and we're starting deployments next Tuesday. Oh, and I have to recreate security groups, print servers, edit fileshare permissions, and hope that the main app they use only uses the domain for authentication and won't interpret <olddomain>\joeuser and <newdomain>\joeuser as different users, because changing all THOSE records would be not only a pain in the rear end but incur legal issues as this records systems is regularly called upon for court cases.

:suicide:

(The one saving grace is that the parent company implemented SCCM last year, and I'm finally getting to use it, and boy howdy is it just about everything it's been cracked up to be. I've been itching to use it for two years now, so at least I'm getting a bone thrown my way, but most of the rest of this is the bone going straight up my rear end).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

AlternateAccount posted:

[...]

Did you disagree with the choice made in point 4 in writing? If not, I guess lesson learned; if it's not written down it didn't happen. If you did then... yeah, condolences on working with idiots.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

sfwarlock posted:

"Note that you cannot convert a domain controller that runs an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 directly to a retail version."

The technet versions always have done versions poo poo like this. Back in 1999, I made a horrible career choice and went to work for a friend. That friend was a complete moron. He had a contract with a company to deploy a server, email, etc.

He decided to jumpstart the whole process by deploying a technet copy of NT Server. It wouldn't allow you to add CAL's or anything, and the idiot had to reinstall everything when the official software showed up.

Don't ever go to work for your friends, especially if your friend is an idiot and a crook.

EDIT: A wrong word was placed in a sentence.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

rolleyes posted:

Did you disagree with the choice made in point 4 in writing? If not, I guess lesson learned; if it's not written down it didn't happen. If you did then... yeah, condolences on working with idiots.

I don't know. Maybe in an email.

A later conversation got this pushed up to a whole other director to deal with so we're probably going to just ditch the client.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sfwarlock posted:

As someone who has done more work with failing domain controllers than I like to admit, its really not that big of deal as long as you have another way to standup a server temporarily. Passing roles back and forth on anything 2008 and above is pretty painless.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

VanOwen posted:

I live and work in Boston. I work for a security company that creates applications for penetration testing and security analytics. I recently had the delight of doing the technical interviews for all the potential folks looking to get into one of our senior support roles. Due to the nature of the work the people we need to know networking pretty well and know a good bit of linux admin. My boss made me do all the technical questions of which I made a page or 2 of softball questions just to screen out the idiots. The follow is a typical conversation with people that actually came in to interview.

VanOwen - :) Your resume says you know linux!
RandomPerson - :downs: Sure do!
VanOwen - :) Great! How would I see all the files in a directory?
RandomPerson - :downs: - Uhh... Not sure!
VanOwen - :crossarms: Uh... OK. Maybe you're nervous? You must be nervous. Its 'ls'.
RandomPerson - :downs: Oh right. Of course! Ha ha!
VanOwen - :) Ha ha! OK so how could I show all the permissions on files and folders in a directory?
RandomPerson - :downs: Uhh... Not sure!
VanOwen - :stare: So... you... ah... OK. Hey! Your resume says you know DNS! That's a thing!
RandomPerson - :downs: Sure do!
VanOwen - :) So how does name resolution work?
RandomPerson - :downs: - Uhh... whats that?
VanOwen - :cripes:

Repeat this half a dozen times. And bear in mind I haven't even gotten to the stuff on networking, LDAP, SQL, python, regexp, or up-teen other items on my list.

Tenable? Cause that would explain some of my experiences with them...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know. Maybe in an email.

A later conversation got this pushed up to a whole other director to deal with so we're probably going to just ditch the client.

I was reading one of the threads yesterday and the topic came to managing expectations and the consensus that 'we IT people' are generally criticised for being cool as a cucumber even in a crisis situation therefore management think that server in fire isn't a big deal...

I think this is more of a management thing rather than an IT / DR (etc) thing but if you make a real song and dance about things like point 4 when they happen then when the blame train comes by at least you can clearly state I told you so if management are stupid enough to forget your earlier song and dance

I guess what I'm saying is there is a time and place for throwing your toys out of the pram... I'm sure you appreciate that but there discussion yesterday seemed to conclude that there is never any reason to raise stress levels above ice cool which I disagree with!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

namol posted:

My standard question I use to people is:

Grab in any way possible just the ip address from eth0 using ifconfig and any amount of pipes.

It's amazing how many people can't use grep awk and cut, and cut is optional!

ifconfig eth0 |grep "inet addr" |awk -F":" '{print $2}' |awk '{print $1}'

with cut:

ifconfig eth0 |grep "inet addr" |awk -F":" '{print $2}' |cut -d' ' -f 1

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 20, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

angry armadillo posted:

I guess what I'm saying is there is a time and place for throwing your toys out of the pram... I'm sure you appreciate that but there discussion yesterday seemed to conclude that there is never any reason to raise stress levels above ice cool which I disagree with!

I'd argue that deliberately going out of your way to raise stress levels is never appropriate, and that situations themselves dictate those stress levels, but that's probably being pedantic. I know what you're trying to say. But I don't believe the participants in that discussion were trying to argue that.

We were complaining about bosses who expect us to react in a singular way when in a crisis situation. If I'm not yelling and running around the office, and instead working diligently on a problem, that doesn't mean I'm not stressed as hell or I'm not trying my best to fix poo poo. It's just how I am handling this problem. If you're a boss and you're coming in and yelling at me for not panicking, the only thing you're doing is distracting me and making me take longer to solve this crisis. If you want to put on a dog and pony show for the executives, fine, but try to give me enough time and space to actually fix what you need fixed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

angry armadillo posted:

I was reading one of the threads yesterday and the topic came to managing expectations and the consensus that 'we IT people' are generally criticised for being cool as a cucumber even in a crisis situation therefore management think that server in fire isn't a big deal...

I think this is more of a management thing rather than an IT / DR (etc) thing but if you make a real song and dance about things like point 4 when they happen then when the blame train comes by at least you can clearly state I told you so if management are stupid enough to forget your earlier song and dance

Yeah, really, there's no point in losing my cool over it. There's nothing to be done and in the new company structure, the requirements of this job are not really profitable to deal with. Technically, managing the day to day operations of this department are my job. But I was basically informed that I was losing 1 of the 2 full-time staff members. Really my main priority at this point is to transition the client to someone else smoothly. They're awesome and I hate to see them suffer due to this whole idiot mess.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Sir_Substance posted:

Not a bad idea. It's not something I'd really heard of or considered until now, but apparently they're available here. Might be a buy for next summer.

Just remember that electricity is way more expensive here in Australia so it could end up costing you a bunch. (I have no idea how much electricity they burn through)

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

As someone who has done more work with failing domain controllers than I like to admit, its really not that big of deal as long as you have another way to standup a server temporarily. Passing roles back and forth on anything 2008 and above is pretty painless.

Which is true, and I have two more servers in the environment. It's just frustrating as hell because we're shorthanded and I have no extra time to spend dueling with Windows right now. (Although - and probably this is unfair - I know terms like FSMO and PDC/BDC are outdated, but I'll still a little worried at people who admin servers who don't know them.)

(( Also one of the servers in question also threw this at me on Monday, which caused a full out spit-take, fortunately not in the direction of anything technological: .)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

frogbert posted:

Just remember that electricity is way more expensive here in Australia so it could end up costing you a bunch. (I have no idea how much electricity they burn through)

Tabletop humidifiers use like ~140 watts peak, and they don't even run constantly.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Grab in any way possible just the ip address from eth0 using ifconfig and any amount of pipes.

with cut:

Awk can do this in one command, no pipes, but awk is also optional. Sed in one less command than you used. But you should stop asking about deprecated tools.

But honestly, I'm coming to appreciate live demos with tmux or some other session broadcast. Either they know the basic coreutils or they don't, and you can use pretty much anything as a challenge.

It's fun to do it with Perl oneliners, or awk, or head+tail+while read | + bash pattern matching, etc, though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ratbert90 posted:

with cut:

ifconfig eth0
and then grab the address with your eyes because that's what they're for.

If you need to actually slurp it out for a script, Google will write the goddamn query for you as you start typing "ip from if...", and then presto! Someone has already solved this problem!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

namol posted:

Is it ok that I look regex up whenever I need to find more than two seperated strings?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

scroogle nmaps posted:

If you need to actually slurp it out for a script, Google will write the goddamn query for you as you start typing "ip from if...", and then presto! Someone has already solved this problem!

That's basically where I'm at. I'm not a professional sysadmin mind you. I see little problem with using the Internet as long term memory. If you aren't running that query at least once a day, then anyone who expects you to know it off the top of your head is a wanker. There's *waaaay* too much IT poo poo out there for one person to hold it all in their head. I memorise what I'm doing now. Commands I used daily from 30 to 18 months ago but haven't used since?

Gone.

I'll read the documentation again if I need them in the future.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, expecting someone to throw out that command is a bit of a dick move to be honest. In fact, I run a few scripts for my job and its expected that I write a few of my own. When asked in the interview if I could run scripts I just mentioned that i'm pretty rusty but I could relearn if they needed me to as I'd had some experience before. That seemed good enough to them.

Edit:

In poo poo that's pissing me off territory, how the gently caress am I supposed to know what issue is urgent if every ticket in my loving name is "urgent". I've gone from being able to tell at a glance what needs doing next via icons to having to read each description of each problem because all of them have the "this is affecting production!" marker on it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 20, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Sir_Substance posted:

That's basically where I'm at. I'm not a professional sysadmin mind you. I see little problem with using the Internet as long term memory. If you aren't running that query at least once a day, then anyone who expects you to know it off the top of your head is a wanker. There's *waaaay* too much IT poo poo out there for one person to hold it all in their head. I memorise what I'm doing now. Commands I used daily from 30 to 18 months ago but haven't used since?

Gone.

I'll read the documentation again if I need them in the future.

Or the man pages.

I wouldn't be able to do it off the top of my head either, but I've done something similar in one my scripts with a bit of trial and error.

Edit: Man am I dumb in the morning. Docs = Man pages.

A c E fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 20, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Doing a job application for a company that makes developer tools. They have an online code testing system they're obviously well proud of.

I completed their code task, it compiles in eclipse. It compiles on the command line.

When I past it in the code box and press the compile button on their testing system, it says "compile error".

Doesn't tell me what it is, just says "gently caress you does not compute".

The worst thing is, I'm about 99% sure its some kind of classpath error. I think it's turning my solution into a .java file on the backend and then trying to compile it, but wherever it's making GBS threads it out isn't where I expect it to go. It has to implement an interface on their end, they gave us a bare-bones version to compile against when testing it on our end so I put it in a proper package and folder with the package names they told us to use, and they apparently didn't, so god only knows what the gently caress the project structure needs to look like to make it work.

But on the other hand it could be that my browser is munging the newlines into something malformed in the process of transferring it and I wouldn't know because all I'm being told is "compile error".

I honestly don't know whether to go with :fuckoff: or :suicide:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

dogstile posted:

Yeah, expecting someone to throw out that command is a bit of a dick move to be honest. In fact, I run a few scripts for my job and its expected that I write a few of my own. When asked in the interview if I could run scripts I just mentioned that i'm pretty rusty but I could relearn if they needed me to as I'd had some experience before. That seemed good enough to them.

Edit:

In poo poo that's pissing me off territory, how the gently caress am I supposed to know what issue is urgent if every ticket in my loving name is "urgent". I've gone from being able to tell at a glance what needs doing next via icons to having to read each description of each problem because all of them have the "this is affecting production!" marker on it.

The way I handle it currently, is to send them an email explaining why I've listed it as Priority 2 instead of 1, etc.

"Due to the high number of tickets raised, and the scope and severity of the issue, I have raised this as a Priority 2 fault. This has an X hour SLA and I will assist you as soon as I am able."

If you think you can't do that without making people angry, speak to your mananger first. Say "Ok boss, I've got Ticket XXXX and Ticket YYYY, both are marked as urgent. Which one do you want me to prioritise." - That way it's up to the boss to make the call.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have prenegotiated SLAs, which define ticket priority levels based on response time and dictate what qualifies for each. This approach is working well for us. It's important that these be negotiated with stakeholders rather than imposed by your departmental fiat, because otherwise they will be able to complain. There's a little room for our judgment but mostly it removes both them and us from the priority setting process. Making it impersonal like that helps a lot.

The downside is that you are now bound to response time, but it is not very hard to at least make contact with the client in even the shortest timeframe, which is what our SLAs require. (I think that's normal, it would be insane to lock yourself into a deadline for completion on everything.)

If I have more than one high priority issue (we have several priorities, but everything I touch is by definition one of two), I judge for myself what's more important based on what's affected or is time sensitive or whatever. If you can't decide, by all means ask your manager. If you consistently have so many high priority tickets that you run into this problem a lot, then you probably have a staffing issue..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

(( Also one of the servers in question also threw this at me on Monday, which caused a full out spit-take, fortunately not in the direction of anything technological: .)

I absolutely despise the way Server 2012 handles updates. You're a server, you should not automatically reboot on login or throw up a 15 minute countdown timer when I log in over remote desktop. Who thought this was a great idea for the default behavior?