Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know, but last year was officially some kind of bilateral Netherlands-Russia year thingie. They planned lots of state visits. It started out positive, but in the end the main things that happened between the two countries was that a Russian guy committed suicide in a Dutch cell, Russia arrested some Dutch Greenpeace members without following proper rules and Dutch folks protested against the new Russian law that limits the rights of homosexuals.

Also our prime minister continues to suck Vladimir Putin's cock through all of this because of natural gas or tulips or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

duckmaster posted:

Not particularly useful in a country which sent 8 MiG-21s to Israel a few years ago for upgrades. 4 of them mysteriously disappeared: almost certainly sold on by a senior air force General or government minister (probably a few of them). Cambodia has over 2200 Generals compared to the US cap of 500....!

Anyway this is a derail so have some maps.

US bombing targets on Cambodia 1965-73:

Unexploded ordnance in Cambodia (yellow is probable, red is definite):

They're constantly finding unexploded stuff around here. They found this yesterday, which in true Cambodian style they picked up and threw onto the back of a truck!

Maybe not as interesting as some other maps in this thread but important to remember the effects war can have even decades later :shobon:

Jesus. :smith:

Do you have a source for those maps? I had no idea US involvement in Cambodia was so large, I thought it was very brief, or something. I guess I really don't know anything about it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Jesus. :smith:

Do you have a source for those maps? I had no idea US involvement in Cambodia was so large, I thought it was very brief, or something. I guess I really don't know anything about it.

This article mentions the likely source, a released database of US bombing missions in the region

http://www.yale.edu/cgp/Walrus_CambodiaBombing_OCT06.pdf

quote:

2,756,941 tons’ worth, dropped in 230,516 sorties on 113,716 sites.

There's a good map on the second page.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We also find unexploded ordnance pretty much every month here in Germany. WW2 was almost 70 years ago!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And they dropped several times more bombs on Cambodia than they did on Germany.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This article mentions the likely source, a released database of US bombing missions in the region

steinrokkan posted:

And they dropped several times more bombs on Cambodia than they did on Germany.

And Hell, Cambodia didn't even have the worst of it. Laos is the most-bombed country in the world, having been hit by over 5 million tons of ordinance during the Vietnam War, and 30% of them didn't go off.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

We also find unexploded ordnance pretty much every month here in Germany. WW2 was almost 70 years ago!

Pretty much every month? Try

Wikipedia posted:

Thousands of UXOs from the Second World War are still uncovered each year in Germany. The daily average is 15, most of them aerial bombs.

Here's a bomb that managed to make the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbM2Xbc1uk

Most don't. You just get used to the constant drip of "oh, here's one more of those things". I can't even imagine how bad it has to be in Laos and Cambodia. :smith:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Holy poo poo, was that mostly the bombs explosives or whatever they set it off with?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Smirr posted:

Pretty much every month? Try

Here's a bomb that managed to make the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbM2Xbc1uk

Most don't. You just get used to the constant drip of "oh, here's one more of those things". I can't even imagine how bad it has to be in Laos and Cambodia. :smith:

The wet season lasts several months and basically floods the entire country, which helps to rot the detonators. Of course they are still highly unstable piles of explosives so people are still being maimed and killed every year.

Belgium has more than its fair share from WW1. Two people were killed by an unexploded grenade today.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Holy poo poo, was that mostly the bombs explosives or whatever they set it off with?

That was the bomb. As for finding bombs, where I live they just found one yesterday (50 KG) during construction work. That happens every few months around here.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

duckmaster posted:

The wet season lasts several months and basically floods the entire country, which helps to rot the detonators. Of course they are still highly unstable piles of explosives so people are still being maimed and killed every year.

Belgium has more than its fair share from WW1. Two people were killed by an unexploded grenade today.

The Belgian Dovo (the service for the removal and destruction of explosive devices) has to process about 200 tons worth of explosives every year. That's the combined legacy of the 2 world wars that were fought here. About 2 months ago they found an abnormally large cache of 200 WW1 mustard gas grenades.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

How long is it thought that the stuff will still be explosive?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Thousands of years from now archeologists studying the 20th century will still be randomly blown up by XO, I would like to think. Consequently no one will want to study this period and our material culture will be poorly understood! Especially Belgian and Cambodian culture.

twoday fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 20, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Thanks.

twoday posted:

Thousands of years from now archeologists studying the 20th century will still be randomly blown up by XO, I would like to this. Consequently no one will want to study this period and our material culture will be poorly understood! Especially Belgian and Cambodian culture,

"As previous cultures like the Egyptians sealed their dead deep beneath the Earth to prevent tomb-raiding, these other cultures have buried thousands of destructive traps to discourage theft. Even today, the traps can sometimes be deadly."

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh there'll always be loons that believe in the unexploded ordinance's curse won't there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Koramei posted:

Oh there'll always be loons that believe in the unexploded ordinance's curse won't there.

Coming 2256 to neural uplinks everywhere Manchukuo Li and The Curse of Uxo

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is actually a serious problem regarding the disposal of nuclear waste.

Picture this: the waste is buried deep underground, and the deposits are then sealed and caution signs are plastered all over the doors. Over time, for whatever reason, the location of these sites becomes unknown.

Then, thousands of years in the future, archeologists find a mysterious sealed building, and on the doors there are inscription promising horribly painful death for whoever dares enter...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

twoday posted:

Thousands of years from now archeologists studying the 20th century will still be randomly blown up by XO, I would like to this. Consequently no one will want to study this period and our material culture will be poorly understood! Especially Belgian and Cambodian culture,

How long do explosives keep in such conditions? It seems incredible that a buried landmine would remain active and capable of exploding after, say, 200 years in the dirt.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Coming 2256 to neural uplinks everywhere Manchukuo Li and The Curse of Uxo

It's good to know the Japanese Empire is presumably alive and well 242 years from now.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Thousands of years in the future the amount of radiation emitted by that waste should be significantly less though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's good to know the Japanese Empire is presumably alive and well 242 years from now.

Its the future; if you're going to be wrong you about your prediction you might as well be as wrong as you possibly can.

rscott posted:

Thousands of years in the future the amount of radiation emitted by that waste should be significantly less though.

Manchukuo Li and the Temple of the Fat Man

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mikl posted:

Picture this: the waste is buried deep underground, and the deposits are then sealed and caution signs are plastered all over the doors. Over time, for whatever reason, the location of these sites becomes unknown.

Then, thousands of years in the future, archeologists find a mysterious sealed building, and on the doors there are inscription promising horribly painful death for whoever dares enter...

That's exactly why nuclear material gets it's own unique symbol. People have thought this through, and the prevailing wisdom seems to be to avoid using any current languages, because this stuff will still be dangerous 10,000 years from now when nobody will understand them. But if we have one symbol for it, then that on it's own might be universal enough to stick around. If there's some apocalypse that regresses human society, then at least they should figure out that that symbol = get out.

It's funny, every time I see drawings from the period, I'm struck by how much I like the Republic of China flag. Never quit Taiwan, if only for your flag.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexploded_ordnance#United_States

Due to extensive testing/training a combined area the size of Florida is dangerous from our own bombs here in America. Also in 2008 some guy died from Civil War Ordance...

quote:

As recently as December 2007, construction areas outside Orlando, Florida discovered UXO in new development areas and had to halt construction efforts.[26] Other areas nearby, including UXO in the Indian River Lagoon[27] thought to be left from live bombing runs performed during World War II by pilots from nearby DeLand Naval Air Station, have long been avoided by local boaters for fear of accidentally striking UXO as they motor by.
According to US Environmental Protection Agency documents released in late 2002, UXO at 16,000 domestic inactive military ranges within the United States pose an "imminent and substantial" public health risk and could require the largest environmental cleanup ever, at a cost of at least US$14 billion. Some individual ranges cover 500 square miles (1,300 km2), and, taken together, the ranges comprise an area the size of Florida.
In addition to the obvious danger of explosion, buried UXO also entails the risk of environmental contamination. In some heavily used military training areas, munitions-related chemicals such as explosives and perchlorate (a component of pyrotechnics and rocket fuel) can enter soil and groundwater. A prominent example exists at Joint Base Cape Cod (JBCC) on Cape Cod, Massachusetts (USA), where decades of artillery training has contaminated the only drinking water for thousands of surrounding residents. An expensive UXO recovery effort is under way there.
UXO on US military bases has also caused problems for transferring and restoring Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) land. The Environmental Protection Agency's efforts to commercialize former munitions testing grounds are complicated by UXO, making investments and development risky.
UXO cleanup in the US involves over 10 million acres (40,000 km2) of land and 1,400 different sites. Estimated cleanup costs are tens of billions of dollars. It costs roughly $1,000 to demolish a UXO on site. Other costs include surveying and mapping, removing vegetation from the site, transportation, and personnel to manually detect UXOs with metal detectors. Searching for UXOs is tedious work and often 100 holes are dug to every 1 UXO found. Other methods of finding UXOs include digital geophysics detection with land and airborne systems.[28]
During World War I, the US Chemical Corps was established at American University, based in the University's McKinley Building. After the war, many toxic chemicals and weaponry were buried in or around the Northwest DC community where American is located. Excavations in the area are ongoing after significant discoveries were made in 2010.[29]
Although comparatively rare, unexploded ordnance from the American Civil War is still occasionally found and is still deadly 150 years later. In 2008, for example, Civil War enthusiast Sam White was killed when a naval shell he was attempting to disarm exploded.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

texaholic posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexploded_ordnance#United_States

Due to extensive testing/training a combined area the size of Florida is dangerous from our own bombs here in America. Also in 2008 some guy died from Civil War Ordance...

Manchukuo Li and the Confederate's Revenge

quote:

In 2008, for example, Civil War enthusiast Sam White was killed when a naval shell he was attempting to disarm exploded.

"Wow! My legs got blown off by an authentic Civil War shell! I'm bleeding out just like the 99th Union Calvary at the Battle of Red Bull! This is great, guys, I've got powder burns and everything..."

twoday fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 20, 2014

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It's funny, every time I see drawings from the period, I'm struck by how much I like the Republic of China flag. Never quit Taiwan, if only for your flag.

Well there's the Five Races Under One Union flag which China says it will use again as soon as it gets Taiwan (and Mongolia) back.

They had a badass Air Force logo too:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mikl posted:

I love seeing pictures, diagrams, and such of how such a facility might look:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Mikl posted:

This has actually been thought out recently by the US Department of Energy, in a long report about how to design a storage facility that will deter people from entering for 10,000 years (summary here). Amongst the use of eight languages (including Navajo) for warning labels, they've looked into non-verbal ways of communicating 'seriously, don't be here', including menacing earthworks:

e;f,b

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bro Dad posted:

Well there's the Five Races Under One Union flag which China says it will use again as soon as it gets Taiwan (and Mongolia) back.

They had a badass Air Force logo too:

Who is the blue race? Na'Vi?

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Disco Infiva posted:

Who is the blue race? Na'Vi?

The races dont go according to skin colours like you'd immediately think but you know, are actually based on people that live in China while not exactly 'races'. I don't remember which race is which colour but they represent Mongols, Han, Muslims, Manchus and the Tibetans.

e: quick checking from Wikipedia tells us that Mongols are apparently the Far Eastern Na'vi here

Skeleton Jelly fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 20, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

That's exactly why nuclear material gets it's own unique symbol.
The classic radiation symbol looks too abstract, and even other present people have not regarded it as a clear danger sign.

The new one is also bad, because it looks like a religious design or prophecy.

"Seraphim will descend from the heavens, and the dead shall be raised to walk again."

I don't know whether that would discourage a far future culture, encourage them to bring their sick and dying to the site, or just cause them to laugh at our superstitious ways.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

It's very important that races, like everything else, be understood using wuxing.

Also, I really liked the scientist's idea as to how to hide the waste: bury it deep enough that it would require advanced excavation equipment and plaster it with images of atomic decay. That was incorporated into the plan but the more important part is to speak to everyone in Klingon.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Mikl posted:

I love how cottage industries develop over the least relevant problems.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad we're agonizing over all our hazardous waste to the same degree we wring our hands about nuclear waste. Totally scientific, not at all political. Keep dumping poo poo in the water table and making the oceans barren, but ohhhh god what if a primitive civilization with advanced mining techniques gets into ancient barely radioactive waste in 5000 years and thinks the radioactive symbol means "delicious candy"? What if they try to eat it?? No, this is a serious serious issue we need to worry about.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad we're agonizing over all our hazardous waste to the same degree we wring our hands about nuclear waste. Totally scientific, not at all political. Keep dumping poo poo in the water table and making the oceans barren, but ohhhh god what if a primitive civilization with advanced mining techniques gets into ancient barely radioactive waste in 5000 years and thinks the radioactive symbol means "delicious candy"? What if they try to eat it?? No, this is a serious serious issue we need to worry about.

The poo poo they are trying to bury for 10,000 years is going to be the kind of radioactive that can kill whole communities when people get hold of it and notice that the magic beads stay warm and get warmer when you pile them up. Look at what happens when people mistakenly steal trucks containing radioactive compounds for medical use: people play with the poo poo and die horrible deaths because the harm is not immediately obvious. So, yeah, there's a bit of a humanitarian effort to figure out what to do with this stuff; it will be around longer than we know how nasty it is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I love seeing pictures, diagrams, and such of how such a facility might look:

I always thought the metal spike idea was a terribly stupid idea, because anybody who comes across it without knowing what it is is just going to say "oooh, free high quality metal. I'm going to steal that."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PittTheElder posted:

I always thought the metal spike idea was a terribly stupid idea, because anybody who comes across it without knowing what it is is just going to say "oooh, free high quality metal. I'm going to steal that."

Surely you're going to make it all rusty and poo poo though, to drive home how bad a place it is.

walking
Nov 27, 2013
Just throw a bunch of bones all over the place and call it a day

Or better yet a giant skull pyramid

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

EightBit posted:

The poo poo they are trying to bury for 10,000 years is going to be the kind of radioactive that can kill whole communities when people get hold of it and notice that the magic beads stay warm and get warmer when you pile them up. Look at what happens when people mistakenly steal trucks containing radioactive compounds for medical use: people play with the poo poo and die horrible deaths because the harm is not immediately obvious. So, yeah, there's a bit of a humanitarian effort to figure out what to do with this stuff; it will be around longer than we know how nasty it is.

Actually the poo poo that keeps you warm as a lower half-life and is a lot more dangerous than what most of what will be buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

EightBit posted:

Before you know it people start getting sick and turn on the stoic iceman who wandered into town days before with a case of amnesia and a container with strange rocks inside.