Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it right? I think Lorre actually wanted to do more character stuff in the sitcom format and that's sort of what he wanted to do with Mom, but that didn't take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bobfromsales posted:

It would be so much better if they just made Raj gay already but he still can't get anyone to go on a date with him.

They have at least at times made the joke(?) that he might be gay.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

STAC Goat posted:

I love NewsRadio but I'm not sure I knew anything more about Matthew or Joe than I do about Raj.

His last name is Garrelli?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sober posted:

..and that's sort of what he wanted to do with Mom, but that didn't take off.

I question why I watch Mom a lot of the time, but then Allison Janney will sell a joke so hard and it kinda feels like it's worth it. Just.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I enjoyed the pilot episode. It certainly seems interesting.
Ok, thanks. Looks like Amazon Video has the pilot episode for free, so I'll check it out as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:ughh:

Also I haven't watched last night's Arrow yet but just tell me was it Harley?

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 20, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Also I haven't watched last night's Arrow yet but just tell me was it Harley?

As a 5-second cameo, yes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would be shocked if this didn't get done. Not that its any less crass.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
TBH I did start to re-watch LOST. Mostly prompted by flight 370.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Coverage of Flight 370 has been weird, from what I've seen. Even on official news items it's talked about it like it's this weird quirky fun mystery, rather than just a horrible thing that happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

Coverage of Flight 370 has been weird, from what I've seen. Even on official news items it's talked about it like it's this weird quirky fun mystery, rather than just a horrible thing that happened.

Because it wasn't a white people airplane.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The 370 tragedy has reaffirmed for me that the only decent human beings on CNN are Chris Cuomo, Anderson Cooper, Jake Tapper and Don Lemon.

The last ten days on CNN have been atrocious, with the worst offenders being: Wolf Blitzer (of course), Ashleigh Banfield (who's normally decent), and Erin Burnett. The latter of whom has insinuated from the beginning that it's terrorists terrorists terrorists, and at every turn, has taken the slightest bit of news and used it to make the most dramatic leaps possible. When they found that the plane had in fact turned, she was reporting that they "probably" landed somewhere and that everyone was alive. When they found deleted data on the Pilot's simulator, all of a sudden it was "certainly" pilot suicide. She's an absolute monster, and the worst kind of hype-driven talking head.

I hate being a news junkie... I wish there was something better than CNN. :sigh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I hate being a news junkie... I wish there was something better than CNN. :sigh:

You mean like "literally everything on television besides Fox News"?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If only there was something that gave me unfettered access to information all over the world. Some kind of information super highway that could be accessed at home or at work, or anywhere from a mobile phone, at any time, day or night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All TV news is basically garbage. AlJazeera is pretty good but you ain't gonna get it. I get zero of my news from TV.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Irish Joe posted:

If only there was something that gave me unfettered access to information all over the world. Some kind of information super highway that could be accessed at home or at work, or anywhere from a mobile phone at any time, day or night.

If only we had a series of tubes

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just watched the 100 pilot. Interesting plot and very decent overall. Although I find it incredibly comical that 90% of all the sound effects from technology on the ship are immediately recognizable. Like the Medical equipment makes the same sound as Microsoft Outlook getting a new mail. The telephone is the same noise as a default ringtone on a Samsung phone.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I watch Al-Jazeera through my Roku. Haven't watched CNN in years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In news that ain't gonna happen but I bet y'all are gonna get mad about it anyway, GRRM says that GoT could end with a big ole feature film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That last Walking Dead episode...how do you guys handle keeping up with this show? The bleakness is verging on masochistic, fitting well with the overwrought dialogue and over the top acting (though I really liked Carol here).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Shageletic posted:

That last Walking Dead episode...how do you guys handle keeping up with this show? The bleakness is verging on masochistic, fitting well with the overwrought dialogue and over the top acting (though I really liked Carol here).

That was easily the best ep of the season and probably in my top 5 for the series so... :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm dead inside so seeing kids die is no big deal. Also the acting was bad so that helped.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How bad is the thread now?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

I skip entire seasons and half seasons, and routinely fast forward past the boring poo poo. The Walking Dead is a terrible shows and though it does so many things wrong, the occasional moments of brilliance make it worth following (if only in my half-assed capacity).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

I skip entire seasons and half seasons, and routinely fast forward past the boring poo poo. The Walking Dead is a terrible shows and though it does so many things wrong, the occasional moments of brilliance make it worth following (if only in my half-assed capacity).

So pretty much every scene with Lori

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Walking Dead is one of my 'read about it' shows. I watched the start and found it loving awful, so since then I only read reviews of it because it comes up in real world discussion often enough that it helps to know how its developing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Did anyone else watch The 100 last night? I thought it was pretty good. I definitely like the premise and being on the CW the plot will definitely move at a lightning fast pace. Lord of the flies with a 2 headed mutant deer instead of a pig. And the conch is a gun.

edit:

Rarity posted:

The 100 had one of the fastest pilot episodes I've ever seen. There was more of an info dump in the opening 6 minutes than most shows fit into a pilot and it was kind of awkward but that's only because they wanted to get all the boring set-up out of the way as quickly as possible so they could get down to business. It's like Lost, Battlestar Galactica and the OC had a weird sex orgy and created some bastard hybrid, all the major characters have been established really fast with a bunch of interesting conflicts, Henry Ian Cusick is playing the bad guy and all together is one of the most entertaining pilots I've seen in a long time with a fantastic ending.

Give it a try. (And somebody make a thread)

Ya I am interested in where the show is going. CW don't let me down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 20, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

That was easily the best ep of the season and probably in my top 5 for the series so... :shrug:

Some parts were affecting...then it veered into the black lands beyond melodrama. I suppose this is why I quit the comic, just bad poo poo happening constantly isn't enjoying a narrative, its putting your head into a grinder.

I still liked the pilot and "Clear" (which I think someone here recommended) though.

Other news, here's a remix of that Dean Pelton song linked earlier: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/17/dean_pelton_s_payday_rap_from_community_gets_a_sick_beat_audio.html

Looking forward to watching the latest season when it wraps up in a couple of months.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played the first season of the Telltale TWD game since it was supposedly great and came away pretty disappointed, so I can only imagine what I'd think of the show. I don't know, I'm just not a zombie guy I guess unless it's a comedy.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Ravane posted:

Just watched the 100 pilot. Interesting plot and very decent overall.

I guess I need to try again. I saw about 5 minutes in the middle as the 100 were getting into cliques on Earth and it felt like the same distilled teen angst and stereotypes that I've seen on a dozen other shows.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Shageletic posted:

It's a lot easier to keep up with now that it's not boring as poo poo. The bleakness of the last episode was better earned than it usually is; dealing with psychological trauma of children instead of pathological stupidity of adults.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Acinonyx posted:

I guess I need to try again. I saw about 5 minutes in the middle as the 100 were getting into cliques on Earth and it felt like the same distilled teen angst and stereotypes that I've seen on a dozen other shows.

AV Club agrees with you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

AV Club agrees with you.

They gave the first three eps a B :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I admit I only read the first paragraph.

quote:

With its often wooden acting and cheapo production values, The 100 recalls the mostly unwatchable spate of science-fiction shows that networks shoveled onto the air in the wake of The X-Files’ success. It’s not a show to watch if you want to be particularly challenged, and it’s constantly reminding viewers of things they likely already know.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I watch Al-Jazeera through my Roku. Haven't watched CNN in years.

Can't stream it in the US anymore. :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Acinonyx posted:

No, that's exactly what I saw as well, just intercut with Power-Mad Dictatorial Spaceship Drama as well.
I did find it pretty amusing that you could tell when something bad was going to happen to one of the kids because they used the same framing and drawn-out shots you'll see in any given Syfy monster movie.

I'll probably give it another couple of episodes since it just requires leaving the TV on after Arrow.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 20, 2014

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Was it explained why/how they have bracelets transmitting their vital signs but no communication?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Acinonyx posted:

Was it explained why/how they have bracelets transmitting their vital signs but no communication?

No, but supposedly they can be hacked to allow communication or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acinonyx posted:

I dunno can you talk to people through the RFID chip in your credit card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nate RFB posted:

I played the first season of the Telltale TWD game since it was supposedly great and came away pretty disappointed, so I can only imagine what I'd think of the show. I don't know, I'm just not a zombie guy I guess unless it's a comedy.

The show is much worse so yeah I would stay the hell away. It's had some good moments, but I have to really talk myself into watching new episodes this season and am pretty close to just forgetting about it entirely

• Locked thread