Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a slime
Apr 11, 2005

*boosts teammate onto hidden balcony in inferno's T spawn to save because there is no save penalty* *rounds are five minutes long* Ahhh the old days, when T's could take it slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

a slime posted:

*boosts teammate onto hidden balcony in inferno's T spawn to save because there is no save penalty* *rounds are five minutes long* Ahhh the old days, when T's could take it slow

die jerk

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Would changing resolutions affect my mouse DPI?

I just went from a 2560x1440 to a 1920x1080p, and my sensitivity seems a bit too high now. I am just not sure its a placebo or do my new lower amount of pixels in my new resolution actually affect my DPI, and make my mouse travel quicker over what used to be more pixels?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

sleepness posted:

Would changing resolutions affect my mouse DPI?

I just went from a 2560x1440 to a 1920x1080p, and my sensitivity seems a bit too high now. I am just not sure its a placebo or do my new lower amount of pixels in my new resolution actually affect my DPI, and make my mouse travel quicker over what used to be more pixels?

Definitely matters.
For example, set your res to 1024x768 and watch how weirdly it acts. It's not like your resolution affects your dpi, it's more like your resolution has less dots total, so your Dots Per Inch is the same but it covers more ground in the same movement.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Got my first duplicate drop today, a nice battle scarred that works really well with the color scheme and I think it looks much better that my first sandstorm.

I am in love with this skin and have been dming galil all day.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Slaapaav posted:

Got my first duplicate drop today, a nice battle scarred that works really well with the color scheme and I think it looks much better that my first sandstorm.

I am in love with this skin and have been dming galil all day.

I just got that same galil, though I had to open a case and it was a stattrak. I like it though, and I use the galil a decent amount.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Number Two Stunna posted:

why does this look like it was printed out and ran through a washing machine
Apparently the site the guy's been leaking from is loving pissed that these leaks are happening, and are trying some steganography poo poo to find the account that the guy's using. The weird warping, white noising etc. is basically a means of rear end-covering.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

The Kins posted:

Apparently the site the guy's been leaking from is loving pissed that these leaks are happening, and are trying some steganography poo poo to find the account that the guy's using. The weird warping, white noising etc. is basically a means of rear end-covering.

why would he post screenshots instead of text dumps anyway? it's not like the screenshot proves anything versus plain text

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Apogee15 posted:

I just got that same galil, though I had to open a case and it was a stattrak. I like it though, and I use the galil a decent amount.

I have a field tested one as well but on that one there is barely any purple while the battle scarred has half the gun covered in purple.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The OP has plenty of good tips concerning defensive tactics on various maps but I couldn't find much in the way of attacking strategies, are there any good posts on this subject in the thread that I've missed?

Attacking on Dust (I) and Mirage in particular seem to elude me and it feels like the defenders on those maps have a huge advantage.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

dust 1 is in csgo?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Flying Fish posted:

dust 1 is in csgo?

de_dust is in CS:GO, with slight modifications (compared to previous versions).

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.
MM has been tons of fun the past 2 days after the ban waves. I've had nothing but great games since then.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
To me, attacking on mirage depends heavily on being able to control mid and/or knowing some good smokes/flashes to take a site. If you can break mid open then you've got a lot of options.

A site has a lot of angles to cover when you're breaching, but there's two or three smokes your team can throw to make it a lot easier: you can cut off CT and the tunnel from window or connector itself and limit where the CT can setup without getting prefired. If you're feeling really ambitious you can learn to smoke off quadbox, which is challenging, but feels great when you finally land it.

There's two easy smokes for B site that can be thrown before you enter high B to block off couch and window. Then all you have to worry about is someone sitting in high B/on the white van which isn't too hard to deal with.

Some of the smokes I mention aren't essential, but if your team's DMing skills aren't up to snuff they can make the difference. At the very least being able to smoke CT on A and window on B help close some of the angles available to defenders on the site. Once you take a site, then the CTs are stuck attacking a bomb site that's difficult to breach. And again, if you can take mid the smokes aren't as important, but taking mid is a lot easier if you can smoke off connector and window!

I like mirage, it's a great map with a lot of interesting strategic options. In matchmaking, though, it does feel like you run up against CS veterans who have been playing the map for years and it's easy to get crushed when you aren't as familiar with it (like my friends are as we're trying to branch out away from inferno/train/nuke).

It goes without saying but with any attacking being able to flash well is incredibly important. I'm still struggling to get my flashes to pop as soon as they enter the room I'm trying to breach, and most of the time they're ineffective as people have time to turn away. Or I'll end up flashing myself because I'm an idiot. So that's something I have to figure out.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 20, 2014

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Alright, I'm officially done opening cases. I never get anything that isn't in terrible condition and a common weapon. Huzzah for something that I can buy on the market for .14 that I payed $2.49 for. My luck is too terrible to ever win at gambling. Sorry for my rant, but I've never been lucky opening any Valve case and it seems like this isn't changing with Counter Strike.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I bought the Phoenix pass, and it paid for itself and more after I sold the first Phoenix crate I got. Several Phoenix crate sales later I have a lot of neat looking Stat-trak skins that probably would been a hundred dollars or more of opening crates, and it ended up costing me $0.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Yeah I long ago gave up on opening cases. On that note...

I will trade like 5 cases for some cool looking AK skins. They don't have to be worth anything. I really like that one with the red wood grain.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Selling Phoenix cases is where its at. Ive made money off my purchase of CSGO/Op phoenix

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Miltank posted:

Selling Phoenix cases is where its at. Ive made money off my purchase of CSGO/Op phoenix

Yeah, that's how I got the money to open the cases I've gotten recently. So while I technically didn't loose anything for it, it is extremely frustrating getting yet another field-tested common item.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

dy. posted:

Yeah I long ago gave up on opening cases. On that note...

I will trade like 5 cases for some cool looking AK skins. They don't have to be worth anything. I really like that one with the red wood grain.

Got some bad news for you because there are no good looking AK skins except the default one :(

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

kcer posted:

Got some bad news for you because there are no good looking AK skins except the default one :(
Do you have some sort of illness where you're just compulsively wrong all the time?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

kcer posted:

Haha look at this scrub who has never seen the Blue Laminate before. :smug:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Why is there no rich drug lord solid gold AK yet valve :argh:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Awesome Welles posted:

The only good one

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Awesome Welles posted:

:barf:

The redline is pretty clean though. I like it. It'd be cool if they released stattraks for the vanilla skins

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Necc0 posted:

:barf:

The redline is pretty clean though. I like it. It'd be cool if they released stattraks for the vanilla skins
They won't. Strange Weapons in TF2 have only ever come in cases, I doubt they'd break that mold. It gives even "more" of an incentive to open cases (for those that care about stat trackers like I do because I'm a big nerd.)

Also Red Laminate AK > Other AKs > Blue Laminate AK.

Get over it, Prost.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

StatTrak Extraction tool $5.00
StatTrak Integration tool $5.00
StatTrak OG AK47 $Priceless

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

old dog child posted:

The only good one

???

Lets take the normal AK and uuh I errr, um errr, errr make it blue?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

What was that goon-made website for viewing cs:go skins again?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

dy. posted:

What was that goon-made website for viewing cs:go skins again?

http://csgostash.com/

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Miltank posted:

Technically, no one makes money on the Steam market. You just spent x to get y Steam credit. (Unless of course you make an unofficial trade for real dollars. Are there trusted arbitrators for that kind of thing?)

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

kcer posted:

???

Lets take the normal AK and uuh I errr, um errr, errr make it blue?
...you can do that to default weapons? Too bad I can't part ways with Cents 2nd Round AK47.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

whoknew posted:

Technically, no one makes money on the Steam market. You just spent x to get y Steam credit. (Unless of course you make an unofficial trade for real dollars. Are there trusted arbitrators for that kind of thing?)

That's not true. Every time there's a steam sale I run an SA Mart thread where I offer things at a lower price than the actual sale price in return for real money. This upcoming Spring Sale I'm unloading 200 steambux, all from overpriced skin sales.

edit: I'm an immensely lucky person, this isn't my day job. I swear.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 20, 2014

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

while I'm at work and cant test it myself. Does anyone prefer 4:3 resolution to 16:9? I'm considering trying it to help my old man eyes.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Ernie. posted:

That's not true. Every time there's a steam sale I run an SA Mart thread where I offer things at a lower price than the actual sale price in return for real money. This upcoming Spring Sale I'm unloading 200 steambux, all from overpriced skin sales.

That's why I mentioned the unofficial trade for real dollars thing. Technically against Steam rules, and also the possibility of a trader getting screwed.

I mainly just meant to say that in Valve's perfect universe, your money only ever goes into Steam, not out.

EDIT: incorrect information removed

whoknew fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Eyke posted:

while I'm at work and cant test it myself. Does anyone prefer 4:3 resolution to 16:9? I'm considering trying it to help my old man eyes.
Pros swear by it under two assumptions:

1: they will never have a blind angle because their teammates will be watching those sides for them.
2: if someone comes at you from the side (where you might see them on 16:9, but wouldn't on 4:3) that they would kill you before you could turn and react anyway.

Both of those are valid points at the pro level, but at the level we all play at, I would rather have the extra peripheral vision that 16:9 offers, because there are plenty of people that wont be able to kill me from the side whether they have the drop on me or not.

I play at 1600x900 partly for the boost in FPS, partly because it feels smoother running that than native (which I guess could also be from the FPS boost.)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Your horizontal and vertical FOV is always the same in CS:GO no matter what aspect ratio you are using. All using 4:3 does is squish everything together.

edit: pros play in 4:3 and less than native res so that they are always playing at a high framerate using a consistent aspect ratio and resolution no matter what poo poo lan hardware they have to use.

e2: oh i was wrong, your vertical FOV is always the same but not horizontal

astr0man fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 20, 2014

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I can't believe people spend this much money on these skins. I can't afford a cool AK skin. What has my life come to?

mega dy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 20, 2014

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Coleman posted:

1: they will never have a blind angle because their teammates will be watching those sides for them.
2: if someone comes at you from the side (where you might see them on 16:9, but wouldn't on 4:3) that they would kill you before you could turn and react anyway.

Both of those are valid points at the pro level, but at the level we all play at, I would rather have the extra peripheral vision that 16:9 offers, because there are plenty of people that wont be able to kill me from the side whether they have the drop on me or not.

I play at 1600x900 partly for the boost in FPS, partly because it feels smoother running that than native (which I guess could also be from the FPS boost.)

It's really sad that you have just given up on getting good and refuse to play at a 4:3 resolution like all the pros :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Coleman posted:

It just gets such mixed reviews on it helps so much to it does nothing just use 16:9 I will likely try it out the moment I get home if goonmans are going. The past 2 weeks or so I've made great improvements I think in my consistency. Normally the hardest think for me to do is even make out the head at long range.

I won't lie though I've saved myself countless times from the 16:9 resolution seeing something move and flick shotting them

• Locked thread