Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This season will be a clusterfuck. I know some people hate these types of seasons, but I'm greatly enjoying it.

Agreed that everyone thinks they're Playing for Day 39 - and not realizing that oftentimes its best to play Day Ten like its Day Ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

LeJackal posted:

You nailed it. When Spencer and Jeremiah took the lead on that log, the second wall went down immediately. This is partly because when they were running up to it, Spencer aimed the tip at where a cross-brace was - having remembered the locations from the first wall. Brawn just slammed their ram through the vertical slats but between the cross-braces, expending their momentum for very little gain.

you'd think Tony would be more experienced at knocking doors down.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

This season will be a clusterfuck. I know some people hate these types of seasons, but I'm greatly enjoying it.

Agreed that everyone thinks they're Playing for Day 39 - and not realizing that oftentimes its best to play Day Ten like its Day Ten.

The funny thing is, they aren't even playing well for day 39. Everyone is all "have to get rid of Cliff, he'll be a challenge monster!", but they are wrong. Massive guys aren't challenge monsters in Survivor anymore because so many individual immunity challenges are based on the weight of the participants, and the square-cube law fucks over massive guys like Cliff. Based on fitness and build, Woo is the one who is the potential challenge monster. But since pre-merge immunity challenges are often purely strength based, they've just voted out their most valuable team member.

I'm curious to see what happens with the brain tribe now in a position of power. I don't think Spencer is going to be able to help himself, and he'll end up choosing to go with Morgan. But strategically it's probably the best decision anyway, since she doesn't have allies in the beauty tribe wheras the others do. But she was the only one who didn't approach the brain tribe straight up this episode, so the brain tribe may not be willing to go with someone who didn't approach them instead of one of the two who did. Really though, the best move would be to ally, even in name only, with both Morgan and Jeremiah. Morgan has no allies, and Jeremiah was on the outs (and Morgan would obviously turn against him if asked to by Spencer and co.). In terms of going into the merge strong, an alliance of 5 rather than 4 is a good idea.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe there's a rooftop jumping challenge coming

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

There was no rule saying they had to completely demolish the walls and ALL of the crossboards in full, just that they had to smash enough to get the ram and the team through.

Uncle Cliffy's team took the literal sense and that's what killed them by wasting time and energy smashing the entire barrier and all 3 crossbars before they advanced.

In the end though the comp was literally neck and neck to the finish.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I loved Jeff narrating "Rock breaks scissor" like it was part of the game.

It was kind of bullshit that the orange tribe won the challenge by crawling under the last 2x4. The rules mandated that all 6 people had to hold the log but they didn't have to fully break the walls?

I'm fairly certain there was a rule that Probst stated they had to use the log to break through the wall. And yet Tony used his hands and feet without getting a warning. So there was "bullshit" as you call it on both sides.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Narcissus1916 posted:

Everyone is so so so terrible at survivor and it's GLORIOUS.

I wouldn't want this type of cast all of the time, though.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm rooting for Woo to win right now. I like his personality and what I've seen of his game play so far. Kind of floating under the radar but ready to step up when needed. I just hope Morgan sticks around a little longer because god drat son.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Binary Logic posted:

I'm fairly certain there was a rule that Probst stated they had to use the log to break through the wall. And yet Tony used his hands and feet without getting a warning. So there was "bullshit" as you call it on both sides.

When Tony started kicking the cross beams Jeff said you could do that as long as you were still holding onto the log. But I think the kicking thing was stupid. There's a reason you'd want to knock down a door with a battering ram instead of kicking it down. I'm still convinced Tony only thinks he's a cop because he loves cop shows. So he wanted to kick down some doors like he wants to jump across roofs.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
:siren: Dalton Ross @DaltonRoss :siren:
We're going to break some very interesting #Survivor news around 9:30 this morning on @EWlive

He says it's not that Survivor is being renewed. WHAT COULD IT BE

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I think Survivor got renewed for season 29/30 in January or December.

Also RIP Cliff and Woo. :( Here's one last bonus scene of the two of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGC-MEq6xE

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Apparently it's that the finale/reunion will be on Wednesday instead of Sunday. Ho hum.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Another sign that survivor is losing viewers

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Modern battering rams used for our weak-rear end doors are usually one-man affairs, not a big log with a steel spike. Plus there is the teamwork aspect of maneuvering that big thing.

Shakugan posted:

Massive guys aren't challenge monsters in Survivor anymore because so many individual immunity challenges are based on the weight of the participants, and the square-cube law fucks over massive guys like Cliff. Based on fitness and build, Woo is the one who is the potential challenge monster. But since pre-merge immunity challenges are often purely strength based, they've just voted out their most valuable team member.

Women get a big advantage in the individual immunity challenges because so many of them are essentially 'support your own weight' games, which do play against big brawny guys. I recall from last season how incredibly tilted the individual challenges were towards the skinniest of the players with the best grip strength.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

:siren: Dalton Ross @DaltonRoss :siren:
We're going to break some very interesting #Survivor news around 9:30 this morning on @EWlive

Maybe they're changing the format! Instead of social votes, the winner is the last Survivor left alive on the island. Everybody gets a knife and a canteen.No murder allowed, but you can quit any time. My dream show. :allears:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

SATC Goat nailed it here, too. There's a pretty big difference between going back to the lunkheads to whittle away at the pretties, versus continuing to knock out Lindsay and Woo, especially since, as has been said, Woo was theoretically on board with voting Cliff out last time.

Honestly, Tony reminds me a lot of Ressel, just with less contempt towards other people.

a couple of things here...

1) Tony wasn't ever really on board. They never had to vote and until they did, he had no reason to ever really show his cards one direction or the other. You can't really back out of something that was never really a thing. Say what you will about Tony, but Cliff/Woo/Lindsay seemed far too open about their solidarity for a tribe that never went to TC and the only thing that really accomplished was isolating the others. It's smart to build that core early but to be so obvious about it when you really had no reason to yet was just stupid and it's why Trish was immediately looking to jump ship and it's what made Tony realize he wasn't penetrating into that trio.

2) Woo was only on board in the sense that it appeared to be a majority opinion so he wanted to blend in. I thought it was fairly obvious from his reactions and from his trying to win the challenge that he would vote Cliff if he needed to, but he was going to take measures within his power to prevent that from occurring.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not an engineer so I could be wrong and I'd have to rewatch to be sure but I think Brains 2.0 winning came down to them sticking their two strongest in the front eventually.
Oh, definitely. When Spencer started yelling to Jeff about switching positions, you can tell he's just figured the challenge out and knows where everyone needs to be.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

I don't know why everyone considers not flipping on your alliance and not throwing a challenge to be some sort of strategic move. That's basic don't rock the boat common sense. Woo may turn out to be a somebody as the game goes on, but as it stands now he's a mid-tier coaster who may or may not be good at individual challenges if he gets that far.
He seems like a great guy to get a beer with. I'm not betting on him being a Survivor mastermind.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Toaster Ding posted:

He seems like a great guy to get a beer with.

Maybe you can explain how his ability to drink a beer relates to anything else, because I've never understood the significance of it no matter the context or frequency of its use.
"Man, he sure can drink beer - he should do my heart surgery tomorrow!"
"Man, he sure can drink beer - that obviously qualifies him to be the best president!"
"Man, he sure can drink beer - he deserves to win Survivor!"

I don't get it. There isn't even beer available to Woo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LeJackal posted:

Maybe you can explain how his ability to drink a beer relates to anything else, because I've never understood the significance of it no matter the context or frequency of its use.
"Man, he sure can drink beer - that obviously qualifies him to be the best president!"

I don't get it.

:goonsay:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Toaster Ding posted:

I don't know why everyone considers not flipping on your alliance and not throwing a challenge to be some sort of strategic move. That's basic don't rock the boat common sense. Woo may turn out to be a somebody as the game goes on, but as it stands now he's a mid-tier coaster who may or may not be good at individual challenges if he gets that far.
He seems like a great guy to get a beer with. I'm not betting on him being a Survivor mastermind.

His look of surprise when Cliff got the vote was pretty hilarious though. I really hope he goes far since he genuinely seems to enjoy Survivor, which is something that always makes me like a player.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
On the subject of throwing challenges, I think the Brains should consider throwing the next challenge to get Jeremiah, Sarah or Alexis out. Their main goal should be preventing any majority alliance at the merge, and right now that looks like it could be LJ/Jefra/Jeremiah/Alexis/Trish/Tony/Sarah. The question is whether they have enough information to realize this.

Knowing the Brains, though, they'll try to lose but accidentally win.

Then they forfeit Immunity, and vote out Morgan. Or Spencer. :doh:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

mancalamania posted:

On the subject of throwing challenges, I think the Brains should consider throwing the next challenge to get Jeremiah, Sarah or Alexis out. Their main goal should be preventing any majority alliance at the merge, and right now that looks like it could be LJ/Jefra/Jeremiah/Alexis/Trish/Tony/Sarah. The question is whether they have enough information to realize this.

My guess is EITHER Dreadlock chick quits in a huff and Brawns lose again to vote Woo OR brains throws the challenge and votes out Spencer because he's an end game threat.

edit: It's not like Tony will accept being in a successful alliance anyways.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mancalamania posted:

Looking at the 7 people in that alliance, there's no way they're all smart enough to understand the advantage they would have.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

LeJackal posted:

It's a figure of speech. It means he seems like a pleasant person to spend some time around in a casual social context. Somebody who's company you'd enjoy. It has nothing to do with the actual capacity to drink beer.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was actually thinking the same thing with regards to the Brains throwing the challenge; splitting up the Beauties must be pretty essential from their perspective. They'd have to correctly identify Morgan as the odd man out to do that effectively, and while Alexis revealed that she was tight with Jefra, she's also painted Morgan in an untrustworthy light. I don't know if it would work out.

It's probably one round too early to throw a challenge, too, if they do it at all. They know an idol exists, so that could have come into play. Plus, there's the outside possibility that the beauties rope in Sarah or something and make the whole thing pointless (although that seems almost impossible at this point).

Anyway, that tribe probably doesn't have to throw anything to end up losing at one point or another.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

LeJackal posted:

I'm saying he seems like a nice guy and that I'm not cutting him down because of a personal dislike for him. People sometimes go to great lengths to justify why someone sucks at Survivor when in reality they just don't like the person, that's all

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LeJackal posted:

He's saying he wants Woo to be President.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Hahahahahahaahq

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

You don't seem like a good guy to have a beer with.

I'm a little sad that Uncle Cliffy is gone (despite him playing against Jordan, I don't recall him being a dick) because he does seem like a good guy to have a beer with, but I think it was probably a good move for Tony/Trish and definitely for LJ/Jefra. I'm really interested in seeing the fallout next week.

I'm still amused that the Brains tribe is still together especially since they picked their buffs last. I'd almost accuse the producers of rigging it, but why would they?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I'm still amused that the Brains tribe is still together especially since they picked their buffs last. I'd almost accuse the producers of rigging it, but why would they?

There's a 25% chance that a three-person tribe would all end up in the same tribe after a random swap. It's fine.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TMMadman posted:

You don't seem like a good guy to have a beer with.

I don't drink beer, which sort of unravels the entire experience at the get-go.

TMMadman posted:

They falsely believe that without the interfering hands of their production assistants, humans would fail to generate any interpersonal drama. They are wrong, but that doesn't stop them from interfering in the most obnoxious and obvious ways.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LeJackal posted:

Yeah buddy it's not the beer that's the problem here.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

LeJackal posted:

Haha, I think you are missing the point. Someone who doesn't drink can still be a 'great person to sit and have a beer with'.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TMMadman posted:

They picked first and it doesn't matter anyway, it was random chance. 3 people pulling the same color in a row is unlikely, but not staggeringly so.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's a 25% chance that a three-person tribe would all end up in the same tribe after a random swap. It's fine.

I know they didn't because there isn't any reason to do it, but it will let us know how that whole 'loyalty' issue from last week will play out.

LeJackal posted:

You hear that really loud 'WOOOSH!'? That's the sound of you missing the joke. And proving my point at the same time.

quote:

They falsely believe that without the interfering hands of their production assistants, humans would fail to generate any interpersonal drama. They are wrong, but that doesn't stop them from interfering in the most obnoxious and obvious ways.

I think the only thing I'd really accuse the producers of doing is creating some challenges that seem to be designed for a particular person to win. But even that doesn't always play out the way they expect.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Aren't there absolutely massive penalties for direct interference in reality tv? Or is that just gameshows (I would have thought something like Survivor would fall under the purview of "gameshow"). They CAN do things like select to have contestants perform challenges which certain people are very likely to win, and manipulate things to a great extent in similar ways, but I suspect it's highly illegal to do something like rigging the members of the new tribe.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

They picked first and it doesn't matter anyway, it was random chance. 3 people pulling the same color in a row is unlikely, but not staggeringly so.

Oh I must have missed that and just remembered the final shots before they formed the new tribes when it showed Brawn, Beauty then Brains. Picking first does make it possible to rig it, but I don't think they actually did so.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Based on your red text title, your beer post, and your use of the word 'humans'... I hate you.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Oh I must have missed that and just remembered the final shots before they formed the new tribes when it showed Brawn, Beauty then Brains. Picking first does make it possible to rig it, but I don't think they actually did so.

How do you figure the order of the picking matters at all? The number of people on each tribe needs to be the same, they can't just stuff the basket with orange buffs at the last minute.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
My guess is whatever intern they gave the task did a lousy job of randomizing the buffs. The Brains tribe seemed careful to pick buffs that weren't directly next to each other increasing their chances of ending up together.

Not any sort of production conspiracy but the sort of thing a sharp player might pick up on in the moment. I'm reluctant to cry conspiracy when simple incompetence is more likely the answer. (The Evel Dick/Big Brother mirror incident seems like similarly poor planning by production)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

Based on your red text title, your beer post, and your use of the word 'humans'... I hate you.

If you want to invest that kind of emotion into somebody that you know almost nothing about and will never meet, that is fine. Enjoy it.

• Locked thread