Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Genocide Guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnvobY0jJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaBD0t67Ak

modder posted:

There are 5 Genocide weapons named in the Game Files (files on the disc). But I could only get 2 of them. You can't obtain the Genocide Weapons normally because the Developers removed them because of the lag they caused.

I want those so goddamn bad, though even more I want to see what kind of madness the Fencer's Genocide Gun would be. Though why five? I wonder if the Fencer's supposed to have two, maybe an independent fire and one that requires an Air Raider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want those so goddamn bad, though even more I want to see what kind of madness the Fencer's Genocide Gun would be. Though why five? I wonder if the Fencer's supposed to have two, maybe an independent fire and one that requires an Air Raider?

It's more likely that it was 1 for every character and then some sort of genocide vehicle/mothership cannon. But I do like the idea of an assist required city destroyer.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's more likely that it was 1 for every character and then some sort of genocide vehicle/mothership cannon. But I do like the idea of an assist required city destroyer.

Yeah, that was my other thought. Either way, I'm kind of hopeful they figure out some way to get at the other three. I have a spare 360 laying around, and I'd probably seriously consider figuring out how to mod it for that kind of thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah mah, half the point of those was the anticipation as you waited for the slow shots to connect, not hitscan bullshit.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Air Raider already has the Rule of God in the game, so perhaps it was that plus 4 cancelled ones.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I can only imagine that one was a vehicle, and that vehicle was the mothership itself.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Wow! Big tip! If you're playing as Ranger (The Chosen Class), don't ignore the Reverse Gun. You can fire it 10 times and it heals 100% of your health instantly. If you aim it right it can heal 100% of your health and 100% of a co-op partner's health in one shot. That's a really, really big deal when you're playing Inferno levels. A lot of inferno levels went from "I don't see how I'll ever be able to beat this, I simply take too much damage and the enemies don't drop health" to "that was pretty easy."

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Ahahaha nice. Boom.

Polo-Rican posted:

Wow! Big tip! If you're playing as Ranger (The Chosen Class), don't ignore the Reverse Gun. You can fire it 10 times and it heals 100% of your health instantly. If you aim it right it can heal 100% of your health and 100% of a co-op partner's health in one shot. That's a really, really big deal when you're playing Inferno levels. A lot of inferno levels went from "I don't see how I'll ever be able to beat this, I simply take too much damage and the enemies don't drop health" to "that was pretty easy."

I do love the Reversers. The ones you can heal yourself with are nice, but I think the ones where you can only heal party members are more efficient assuming they hold still long enough to heal. I should do the math on this to be certain though.

It gets hard to choose one for a level though as it just doesn't make baddies go away, but when I do bring it that level is usually more of a cakewalk than not.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

For the life of me, I cannot beat DLC 2, Mission 16 on Inferno as a Ranger. I barely beat it on Harder, even with 3000 armor. What weapons should I use?

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

p4vl posted:

For the life of me, I cannot beat DLC 2, Mission 16 on Inferno as a Ranger. I barely beat it on Harder, even with 3000 armor. What weapons should I use?

This is the best I've seen so far, haven't tried it yet though:

Marogareh posted:

The way I do DLC 16 with a ranger is with a flame geyser and a sparrow shotgun. Place about 4 geysers on the walls and shotgun the poo poo out of anything that gets stunlocked in them. Online it's next to impossible with 4 people and even worse when they have triple digit armor.
Alternatively:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Run mission 71 on Inferno - it'll drop the 100, and it's a shitton easier than the goddamn silver spiders. In fact, for ranger, you technically don't even need to run DLC 16 since the highest level Ranger weapon is the Lysander Z and that will drop from 71. DLC 16 does drop a ton more poo poo though :v:

Oh yeah, third option:

Find a helpful person with a wing diver that has some insane weapons, like a lvl90 Idunn, and ask them to farm it with you. A nice person did this for me, and although the enemies were twice as hard with two people (or something like that) it went pretty well on the first attempt.

edit:

EDF:IA2 lookin' good:

Cender fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 19, 2014

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Cender posted:

Oh yeah, third option:

Find a helpful person with a wing diver that has some insane weapons, like a lvl90 Idunn, and ask them to farm it with you. A nice person did this for me, and although the enemies were twice as hard with two people (or something like that) it went pretty well on the first attempt.
If you have a second controller you could just do this in splitscreen, but you’d have to have the ranger go out and pick up all the weapons afterwards, which would be rather tedious.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Killed my first Daddy Long Legs last night. :tubular: holy poo poo that thing was big.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Started playing this earlier today, it's my first edf game. Did a few hours, got to somewhere in the mid 20's i think as far as missions. Playing coop with a friend.
I'm playing a wing diver, I had a question about one of the grenades. I think it was plasma grenade a, but i could be misremembering.

What the hell is up with it's arc? If I tried to throw it at all horizontally, it would literally hover through the air at a snails pace, like taking over a minute to finish it's arc and hit the ground. It was only usable if I threw it straight down (which obviously isn't that hard as a wing diver, but still very strange). Do all the wing diver grenades behave this way?

VV Are they actually supposed to hover at a speed just above stationary? It's very strange. The game should just call them bombs and only let you use them while airborn. I assume grenades work like grenades for the other classes since they'd be literally unusable for the others. Well. I guess technically fencers could jet up for a sec and plop one down.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 20, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

Started playing this earlier today, it's my first edf game. Did a few hours, got to somewhere in the mid 20's i think as far as missions. Playing coop with a friend.
I'm playing a wing diver, I had a question about one of the grenades. I think it was plasma grenade a, but i could be misremembering.

What the hell is up with it's arc? If I tried to throw it at all horizontally, it would literally hover through the air at a snails pace, like taking over a minute to finish it's arc and hit the ground. It was only usable if I threw it straight down (which obviously isn't that hard as a wing diver, but still very strange). Do all the wing diver grenades behave this way?
Some are faster than that, but they all do that arc yeah. And yes, you should be doing them straight down from the air, its the only halfway safe way.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

A full group of four of us ran Exp2 Mission16 last night with pretty good results.

Most of the time we had two wing raiders, both weapon slots filled with our biggest Idunns, and let them do the heavy lifting, and the other two could run whatever they wanted so they received a bounty of weapons and armor.

We also two-manned it a bit earlier with a wing diver and a ranger. Dual Idunns on the wing diver, and dual magma cannons on the ranger.

My ranger finally got his Lysander-Z and a bunch of other high level gadgets. :holy:
(edit): And he broke 7k hp!

Then we went and rode a bike around Brute Force that would only do wheelies and randomly blow itself up to the backdrop of The Rule Of God blowing everything to hell behind us.

I love this game so much.

Cender fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 20, 2014

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

LibbyM posted:

VV Are they actually supposed to hover at a speed just above stationary? It's very strange. The game should just call them bombs and only let you use them while airborn. I assume grenades work like grenades for the other classes since they'd be literally unusable for the others. Well. I guess technically fencers could jet up for a sec and plop one down.

Is it one of the "Special Weapon" grenades? Those fly slowly and not very far, then start shooting disco lasers at everything. The grenades in the list with plasma launchers should just arc to the ground after throwing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

LibbyM posted:

I'm playing a wing diver,

I know this is a very unpopular opinion in this thread, but I'll say it anyways - if this is your first ever EDF, you should really start with Ranger. It's simply the most fun, and it's what the game was built around. Wing Diver sounds like it should be the most fun, but eventually you realize that all you're doing is playing "Watch The Meter - The Game." You spend 90% of your mental focus on Energy Management. Whereas, with the Ranger, you spend 90% of your mental focus on killing millions of ants with unlimited rockets, shotguns, and machine guns.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

^^ I am always going to be the fastest/most mobile class in any game I play. Regardless of genre, actual power levels compared to other classes, etc. It's what I always feel most comfortable with. Also I make a game out of, when I see my ally running for an armor pick up, trying to land in front of them and take it at the last possible second since we're pretty sure armor pick ups are shared anyway. Couldn't do that without a cool jet pack.

Enter Char posted:

Is it one of the "Special Weapon" grenades? Those fly slowly and not very far, then start shooting disco lasers at everything. The grenades in the list with plasma launchers should just arc to the ground after throwing.

Nah, it is one of the normal grenades, not the fancy disco one.

I do enjoy how much disco related arsenal the wing diver has.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 20, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

I know this is a very unpopular opinion in this thread, but I'll say it anyways - if this is your first ever EDF, you should really start with Ranger. It's simply the most fun, and it's what the game was built around. Wing Diver sounds like it should be the most fun, but eventually you realize that all you're doing is playing "Watch The Meter - The Game." You spend 90% of your mental focus on Energy Management. Whereas, with the Ranger, you spend 90% of your mental focus on killing millions of ants with unlimited rockets, shotguns, and machine guns.

If you say that then Ranger is just "Rolling - The Game." Both classes are fun in their own way. I'm sure all the classes are.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
The Air Raider is "jesus poo poo, my artillery marker bounced off that ant's face and landed back at my feet, everybody run" the game. What I'm saying I guess is Air Raider is the best class for surprise gifts. :gifttank:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

If you say that then Ranger is just "Rolling - The Game." Both classes are fun in their own way. I'm sure all the classes are.

That's not quite the same though, because you can just roll to your heart's content. Whereas with the Wing Diver, you can't just do whatever you want because every single action you take has some effect on your Energy Bar, and running out of energy at the wrong time can mean instant death. I mean, it's not like I hate the other classes, I just think that the Ranger is the most fun and I want new players to have as much fun as possible. :)

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Polo-Rican posted:

That's not quite the same though, because you can just roll to your heart's content. Whereas with the Wing Diver, you can't just do whatever you want because every single action you take has some effect on your Energy Bar, and running out of energy at the wrong time can mean instant death. I mean, it's not like I hate the other classes, I just think that the Ranger is the most fun and I want new players to have as much fun as possible. :)
Ranger is great fun, but some of the larger maps can get quite tedious with the amount of travel you have to do, which as a Ranger is reduced to looking at a slight angle and mashing the bumper for a while. The mobility you get as a Wing Diver/Fencer means you’re in the action a lot more.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Hactar posted:

Ranger is great fun, but some of the larger maps can get quite tedious with the amount of travel you have to do, which as a Ranger is reduced to looking at a slight angle and mashing the bumper for a while. The mobility you get as a Wing Diver/Fencer means you’re in the action a lot more.

No more pre-placed vehicles means the Ranger is now the slowest class for map coverage. In 2017 you had little jet bikes and helicopters scattered on the largest maps. In 2025 Rangers hump it everywhere in SP.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

amanasleep posted:

No more pre-placed vehicles means the Ranger is now the slowest class for map coverage. In 2017 you had little jet bikes and helicopters scattered on the largest maps. In 2025 Rangers hump it everywhere in SP.
This is my first EDF game, but that actually sounds like a good solution for the poor solo soldier. Too bad they didn’t do that for this one, would make those big levels much less painful.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LibbyM posted:

^^ I am always going to be the fastest/most mobile class in any game I play. Regardless of genre, actual power levels compared to other classes, etc. It's what I always feel most comfortable with. Also I make a game out of, when I see my ally running for an armor pick up, trying to land in front of them and take it at the last possible second since we're pretty sure armor pick ups are shared anyway. Couldn't do that without a cool jet pack.

Have you considered the Fencer?

Oh, at first he seems relatively immobile, but once you figure out how to use the melee dash right you can juke around the map like a maniac.

Nothing else is as agile in close quarters as a well played Fencer.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Can anyone confirm if the armor pick ups are shared or not (couch co-op)? I have much more armor as a fencer to my wife's ranger, which I figured was because I'm generally closer and thus picking up more things, but I guess it could also be because the fencer has a better armor->HP conversion ratio?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hactar posted:

This is my first EDF game, but that actually sounds like a good solution for the poor solo soldier. Too bad they didn’t do that for this one, would make those big levels much less painful.

Pretty sure they did it because in 2017 the vehicles were useless on herder difficulties.

Which DLC pack should I purchase first? I have some money left over in my XBox wallet.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Neo Helbeast posted:

The Air Raider is "jesus poo poo, my artillery marker bounced off that ant's face and landed back at my feet, everybody run" the game. What I'm saying I guess is Air Raider is the best class for surprise gifts. :gifttank:
AKA, "jesus poo poo, I just threw my artillery marker at my feet instead of my vehicle marker, everybody run".

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

I guess it could also be because the fencer has a better armor->HP conversion ratio?

It's this one.

Ranger - .464
Wing Diver - .232
Air Raider - .464
Fencer - .58

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm holding off on finishing the game because I really want to experience it in Splitscreen co-op with my brother, but we only have a chance to do that for a couple of hours a week.

I know that if I boot the game up I won't be able to resist playing ahead of where we got to, so I went and bought 2017 Portable to play instead. Man it's great! EDF works super well as a portable pick up and play title. Despite the paired down graphics, is pretty much the definitive version of 2017. It's nice to play as the Ranger again too. I could do that in 2025, but why would you when the fencer exists?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Zero Star posted:

AKA, "jesus poo poo, I just threw my artillery marker at my feet instead of my vehicle marker, everybody run".

You can get the same sort of effect on Ranger. "Oh poo poo I stickied an ant with a lava geyser and now his corpse is wobbling this way, everybody run."

"I've carpeted the ground in front of me with a wave of sticky grenades. Nobody move!"

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Have you considered the Fencer?

Oh, at first he seems relatively immobile, but once you figure out how to use the melee dash right you can juke around the map like a maniac.

Nothing else is as agile in close quarters as a well played Fencer.

I'll give them a try later. I definitely overlooked them under the assumption they'd be very slow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I'll give them a try later. I definitely overlooked them under the assumption they'd be very slow.

Their walk speed is painful, yes. Trundling along is slower than the ranger.

Fortunately, their melee weapons come with a dash on the second trigger. It has a cooldown, but even accounting for that, you move faster than anyone else on foot.

And, if you time the use of your other weapon right, you can cancel the cooldown allowing rapid dashes in a row. It's pretty nice.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Neo Helbeast posted:

That's the only way I play it. Run into a big pile of everything, wait for them to focus on you, throw it at your feet, somersault like a mad man, watch them all get caught in it.

Life is good, bro

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm getting my rear end kicked around the level 40 range on Hard and Normal is just a bit too easy. Any one have any suggestions on a good level to play hardest/inferno on to farm some new weapons? My weapons are the level 30ish range on my ranger.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

BexGu posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked around the level 40 range on Hard and Normal is just a bit too easy. Any one have any suggestions on a good level to play hardest/inferno on to farm some new weapons? My weapons are the level 30ish range on my ranger.
Level 45 is good if you get there and have the damage, but you could probably just farm Preventing Landfall on Hardest/Inferno for higher level gear.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

BexGu posted:

Seconding the guy above me. Do Blue Fighters again and again on Hardest. Let your squadmates tank the Hector attacks, while you focus on taking out every dropship but one. Then just spend as long as you want killing the Hectors that spawn from the remaining dropship. Once you get some good weapons (shouldn't take long, hectors drop tons of weapons), bump it up to Inferno (still not that hard as long as you let your squadmates take the damage).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Polo-Rican posted:

Seconding the guy above me. Do Blue Fighters again and again on Hardest. Let your squadmates tank the Hector attacks, while you focus on taking out every dropship but one. Then just spend as long as you want killing the Hectors that spawn from the remaining dropship. Once you get some good weapons (shouldn't take long, hectors drop tons of weapons), bump it up to Inferno (still not that hard as long as you let your squadmates take the damage).
I had a really difficult time with Blue Fighters on Hardest before I got a decent sniper rifle (Wild Card for Ranger works well, or a higher level MMF). My EDF guys were getting wiped out pretty fast, and then it's game over.

Once you have something that can take down a Hector in a few seconds, it's a great farming level. I usually take out the closer transport right at the beginning, then farm the Hectors as the other transport drops them. Just remember that when you finally kill the second transport, two Shield Hectors will spawn.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 21, 2014

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Do the bee's not have any melee attacks? There was sure a lot of intimidating build leading up to them, and then when they finally show up in the mission they just float around failing to hit us with shot stingers. Is this just cause we're on normal, will they swoop down and attack more on harder modes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

LibbyM posted:

Do the bee's not have any melee attacks? There was sure a lot of intimidating build leading up to them, and then when they finally show up in the mission they just float around failing to hit us with shot stingers. Is this just cause we're on normal, will they swoop down and attack more on harder modes?

Yes, and they fire more stingers per attack. A shitton of bees surrounding you can gently caress you up royally and in record time on Inferno.