Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rarity posted:

Totally this. I was bummed for about 5 minutes before I realised he would totally have been able to figure a way out of that. Which is good, because I was just starting to like his character.

You guys don't think maybe they just weren't going to show a dude's head exploding? They showed him reacting to the signal, then you hear him blow up. I'm not putting much stock in the guy that had three lines coming back from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja
I was disappointed in this episode. The drone sequence was the dumbest loving thing in the world. Idiotic plan and really poor execution, from the plan of using Deadshot as a GPS when they already knew where the drat house was, to the GPS chip being so shallow in the neck that Lyla could easily remove it in 20 seconds, to the drone taking an hour and half to make it from the house to the van. Just really poorly done.

Ollie's CW obligated drama plot wasn't much better either. His grand plan was to push away the only other true badass (maybe even more of a badass than him) by not talking to her and not having sex with her when she was on the loving island with Slade and in his mind, somewhat responsible for the death of Shado. Did he honestly believe that pushing Sara away (by pushing, I mean not having sex but still have her working at his loving club) is going to stop Slade from going after her? I mean, so stupid. Glad she called him out on it and it won't be a multiple episode arc of drama.

Too bad. Loads of potential there and I see people all over the internet are having a nerdgasm for Harley. The one thing I actually did like was the anti-heroness to Deadshot and the fact that he lived since I like his character. Why they would want to kill off the world's best sniper is beyond me.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Didn't really like this ep other than the Harley cameo, Team Arrow is apparently on lock down because of Slade but then Diggle just up and goes over to without saying anything to anyone. More chat about Arrow choosing to let Shado die, a hilariously bad drone and then the Deadshot forgetting about his daughter.

I know it'll come good for the season final but these last two eps have been the worst of the season so far, all it would have taken was a few changes in dialogue to bring it up to snuff but from what I understand Arrow edits pretty late in the game for time? Not saying it was horrible or anything, just kind of meh.

The Deadshot chat was the most annoying because they already set up an easy out with how he's been funneling all his money to Zoe, all Diggle had to say was something about that instead of reminding him he had a daughter(I'm assuming she is).

Edit:

raditts posted:

You guys don't think maybe they just weren't going to show a dude's head exploding? They showed him reacting to the signal, then you hear him blow up. I'm not putting much stock in the guy that had three lines coming back from that.
His name is Shrapnel, so wouldn't say that it's 100% he's gone.

Woden fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 20, 2014

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that wasn't a great episode - mainly as the quality is usually so high.
The whole drone thing was just incredibly dumb - 1 missile would take out the whole house and the bunker with foot thick concrete walls and incinerate the toxin that 0.5ml of can wipe out city blocks - no. Then they show it exploding with as much force as a standard movie grenade. I can only imagine it was budget reasons or something, but they really missed the ball here.

Ollies plan to get Sarah out of the way was also dumb. I stop sleeping with her, Slade stops going after her. What was his plan to let Slade know? Update his Facebook page to not in a realtionship or something?

Diggles plan to protect Felicity. Sit in the car out front. I guess she doesn't have a back door?

I'm going to write this one off as a blip

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shakugan posted:

This would be so unbelievably awesome I can't even comprehend it.

That would be loving terrible. Don't get me wrong I love Diggle, but John Stewart is one the best, most complicated, most interesting comic book characters I've ever read, and it's peen painful to see writers simplify him because they don't know how to write a character like that, and turning him into Diggle would be a crime.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That one is actually JLU's fault.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm going to blame whoever it was who introduced the ex-marine backstory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that was JLU.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
OK yeah that was definitely Harley. The only question is whether it was just a fun fanservice cameo or if there are plans for her in the future... :tinfoil:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, that was JLU.

I thought the ex-marine thing worked in JLU, especially in that episode where he ends up in WWII and he fits right in with Easy Company.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Basebf555 posted:

I thought the ex-marine thing worked in JLU, especially in that episode where he ends up in WWII and he fits right in with Easy Company.

As The Streak told him he was a credit to his people.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Never really cared for John Stewart in JLU, he's easily the least imaginative Green Lantern ever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guggenheim confirms than it was Harley but also than was a mere easter egg for the fans:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51599

He doesn't rule to have her coming back down the line though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Burning_Monk posted:

Never really cared for John Stewart in JLU, he's easily the least imaginative Green Lantern ever.

Least imginative then Hal "giant fist" Jordon?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Guggenheim confirms than it was Harley but also than was a mere easter egg for the fans:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51599

He doesn't rule to have her coming back down the line though.

As soon as she shows up on Gotham we can rule that out.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Least imginative then Hal "giant fist" Jordon?

Yep, Stewart wouldn't even use a fist. Need to hit something... long Green Beam. Need to shoot something, short Green Beams. Need to hold someone, Green Ball. It's just so bland.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

As soon as she shows up on Gotham we can rule that out.

Obviously as the therapist that counsels Bruce right after his parents die.

Wow. Driving this prequel into the ground is easy. Why don't they pay me to do it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burning_Monk posted:

Yep, Stewart wouldn't even use a fist. Need to hit something... long Green Beam. Need to shoot something, short Green Beams. Need to hold someone, Green Ball. It's just so bland.

That was only really a problem in the first season, which they fixed after hearing feedback.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Just finished watching and I'm going to go back and catch up with the thread now but I wanted to note that I though that was the best loving episode of the season so far. That is all.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

greatn posted:

That was only really a problem in the first season, which they fixed after hearing feedback.

I watched the whole thing, he really doesn't expand his repertoire.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Accretionist posted:

World's slowest, low-flying-est drone firing the world's slowest combination bottle rocket-pipe bomb.

I'm just going to forget that bit ever happened.

The drone not being very fast was probably the closest thing to reality that entire sequence managed to peg.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hal Jordan appears in JLU for about 3 seconds and he's 100 times more interesting in that time than Jon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Hal Jordan appears in JLU for about 3 seconds and he's 100 times more interesting in that time than Jon.

Eh, I think what you're describing was just a general problem with Justice League for basically the entire first two seasons, and then even like half of the first season of JLU. Too many of the characters were just bland, Superman, Wonderwoman, and GL included. By the time the Cadmus storyline gets going you have The Question, Huntress and a bunch of other more interesting characters that really kinda overshadow the founding members. The only original JL member that stays interesting is of course Batman, but he comes and goes and he's got the huge continuity already build up from his own animated series.

Edit: And Flash of course, how could I forget Flash. He owns every scene he's in.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I liked a lot of this episode. Deadshot's character development was nice, the Harley cameo was great and the final scene - seeing Amanda Waller looking terrifed - was amazing.

I even didn't really hate Laurel in this episode, which was new.

I'm a little sad there wasn't more Roy and/or Bronze Tiger, as I think they're both pretty awesome. I'm also disappointed that they appear to have killed of Shrapnel, but I'm hopeful that he'll come back. I really like his characterization.

Slade running around Starling making Oliver paranoid is fantastic. I hope we get another episode of that before the actual confrontation.

The whole nerve gas/terrorist/strike drone plot was, as many of you have said, pretty goofy and not very well plotted. I'm kind of okay with that. This was an introduction to the Suicide Squad and more about the characters interacting than the actual mission. I hope we'll see more of Deadshot and Bronze Tiger next season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP Laurel's unbroken streak of crying in every episode she's been in to this point.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, I think what you're describing was just a general problem with Justice League for basically the entire first two seasons, and then even like half of the first season of JLU. Too many of the characters were just bland, Superman, Wonderwoman, and GL included. By the time the Cadmus storyline gets going you have The Question, Huntress and a bunch of other more interesting characters that really kinda overshadow the founding members. The only original JL member that stays interesting is of course Batman, but he comes and goes and he's got the huge continuity already build up from his own animated series.

Edit: And Flash of course, how could I forget Flash. He owns every scene he's in.

JLU Flash is the best :allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zythrst posted:

JLU Flash is the best :allears:

HE's not going to wash his hands. Cause he's evil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrow was up .1 over last new episode but down .1 from last week's rerun :psyduck:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It was about the moment the drone didn't blow up the house that my suspension of disbelief in the mission snapped. It's been tread over plenty, but yeah, that van shouldn't exist anymore. Heck, didn't they say that nerve gas was extremely potent? What about the surrounding neighborhood? I know Markovia is a pretty lovely place in the DCU and all, but I guess I'm underestimating Waller's wanton disregard for human life.

Everything else worked just fine until the house didn't go up in a big kaboom. I'm also a bit disappointed that Oliver didn't say something terribly cheesy, like "It's good to have you back," to Laurel. Her little soap opera traffic coordination worked pretty well. It didn't get in the way of anything, and flavored the plain clothes scenes nicely. And I had a little chuckle at "Cheating, shipwreck, drowning, not drowning, you're back she's back thing."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just blowing up nerve gas doesn't aerosolize it, you have to have a special delivery mechanism. I mean, it's not great, but it's not going to WMD half of Markovia.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

zoux posted:

Arrow was up .1 over last new episode but down .1 from last week's rerun :psyduck:

Does that mean that it out performed the original of last week, but then more people watched yesterdays re-airing of last weeks episode than this weeks new episode?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Does that mean that it out performed the original of last week, but then more people watched yesterdays re-airing of last weeks episode than this weeks new episode?

No, the new episode that was on two weeks ago got a .7. The episode that was a re-run that aired last Wednesday got a .9. Last night's ep got a .8.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Wow, those are pretty bad ratings even for the CW. What gives?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are demo numbers, not millions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Wow, those are pretty bad ratings even for the CW. What gives?

Not really, anything around a 1.0 is pretty good for the CW. Supernatural is probably their most popular show and it pulled a .9 on Tuesday. The soon to be cancelled Carrie Diaries drew a .3. Nikita hung around for years at .3/.4. Arrow's all time high is only like a 1.2 I think.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 20, 2014

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yeah, those are decent-ish for CW. Keep in mind that the CW only airs a couple hours of original programming all day long. The lead-in for episodes of Arrow are Two and a Half Men re-runs (at least for me, your mileage may vary).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, Arrow's fine unless it starts getting beaten by, like, Whose Line...

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm almost caught up [just finished episode 13], but holy poo poo, what's with everybody being completely hostile to people who were stranded on an island for five years?

"Oh what, you were surviving on an island? You cheated on my boyfriend the entire time there, bitch." *throws glass*

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Honestly despite this episode being the most anticipated of the season it felt like the weakest of the season, mainly because of the 3rd act. Historically however, the show tends to rebound from weak writing amazingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
... Does Harley have a bomb in her head as well? I hope not. :ohdear:

And is Grundy ever coming back this season? I'm hoping Slade has him locked up somewhere and releases him in time for the season finale.

• Locked thread