Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I will tell you something I like to share with everyone who has woes with cancelling a service and this is something I've never seen fail. It's a handy trick that I read and it's worked wonders for me.

Simply put, tell them you are leaving the country. All these companies keep pitching you lines based on the idea that you're leaving for financial reasons of one kind or another and that they can sell you a line to keep you in. When you go out of their grasp it no longer benefits them to try and keep you on as a customer and the rep you're talking to will immediately dump out of whatever script they're in and just cancel your service.

This works with drat near everything and it works super fast, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've considered telling them I'm going to jail :q:

Cadence
Dec 31, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I've considered telling them I'm going to jail :q:

For aggravated assault on a CSR?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
It kills me that you can't even call - the CSRs are all so heavily accented that my stupid American ears can't understand them. In my case (I didn't make this clear earlier) I wasn't even trying to fully cancel - just downgrade and have them correct an over billing (which they wouldn't do).

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 18, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They only fight hard for the subscriptions that are tied to hardware... I've been internet-streaming only for 4.5 years now, and they never once bugged me about it, I have to go pay it myself. Also, they've never given me any kind of discount, even if I've threatened to cancel. Instead they try to get me to buy a hardware subscription by giving me fee hardware?

They don't see to realize that once you go virtual, there is no going back.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I actually downgraded both of my services - from the 18.99 XM All Access in two cars to the XM package without Howard in one and in the other music only. They didn't even blink and try and talk me out of it, which surprised me. I went from quarterly payments of $150 to $70, they didn't seem to care.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That sucks guys. When I cancelled the subs for my hardware, I didn't have any trouble. This was a few years ago so it's no surprise things have gotten worse.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
You guys are getting screwed. They gave me 6 months for $25 last time I had it.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
I lucked out and got a dude in Kansas when I cancelled mine for good. The time before that I got a woman somewhere in America and I was on hold for like 15 minutes but got a handful of months free. Both times were in the middle of the day thanks to second shift jobs, which may have helped.

alted2
May 3, 2003
Calling Customer Advocacy at (866) 635-7541 has worked better for me than trying to call the standard number.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You could always try (516) 922-9463. :haw:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Yeah I've been paying ~$6 bux/month for many years now.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

prefect posted:

"I'm in the liquor business..."

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Ask Jackie a ketchin

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

kylej posted:

Ask Jackie a ketchin

Why you wanta beef-a-broccori now!?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I think all you people trying to call in and cancel your SXM scrip need to GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHAAAAAAAANCE GIVE ROOOOOOOODNEY ANOTHER CHAAAAAAAAANCE!

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

One of the employees at the site I was at today was named Fred and all I think of all day was...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZbDEJ7Ph0

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

This thread is funnier than the show at this point.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Smeep posted:

This thread is funnier than the show at this point.

Oh yeah? Well, what do you do for a living?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Brocktoon posted:

Oh yeah? Well, what do you do for a living?

I run a cat shelter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Human Crouton posted:

I run a cat shelter.

Beth-O account spotted.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

I run a cat shelter.

I bet they aren't blind cats though!

You make me sick.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Sasquatch! posted:

One of the employees at the site I was at today was named Fred and all I think of all day was...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZbDEJ7Ph0

The other day I was listening to random ETM clips because I was awake and alive and I like joy, and they were talking to etm on webcam and his blotch came up, and Howard did something to piss him off and his blotch got redder.

Fred shouted out "HE'S GOT A MOOD BLOTCH!"

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I think that the show from here on out should just be Howard complaining about Jay Leno and Stuttering John.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

The other day I was listening to random ETM clips because I was awake and alive and I like joy, and they were talking to etm on webcam and his blotch came up, and Howard did something to piss him off and his blotch got redder.

Fred shouted out "HE'S GOT A MOOD BLOTCH!"

Amen, brother.

Fred stopped piping up as much when Artie left, didn't he? That's how I seem to recall things going.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ChaosMonkey posted:

Fred stopped piping up as much when Artie left, didn't he? That's how I seem to recall things going.

Big time.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Finndo posted:

I think that the show from here on out should just be Howard complaining about Jay Leno and Stuttering John.

John's problem was he wasn't loyal. Maybe Tom would have matched that 1,500% pay raise, but he never even asked!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Didn't John make a shitload of money with those pump and dump stock schemes anyways?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Finndo posted:

And doing his impression of his parents.

ChaosMonkey posted:

Pretty much... Actually, I have a depressing conspiracy theory: Fred is suffering from a degenerative disease, possibly early onset Alzheimers. Seriously, in clips from as little as a few years ago, he was still on the top of his game, a step ahead of Howard at every turn. He plays probably 20% of the number of drops that he used to, and his timing is usually way off. On more then one occasion, I've heard Howard say something leading, and then pause for Fred to jump in with a clip, only to hear a brief silence. Then, as soon as Howard moves on, Fred plays the clip, but it's too late, so Howard just pots it down to silence. I don't think Fred's drop input is even on all time anymore.

I miss what Fred used to do. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ChaosMonkey posted:

Amen, brother.

Fred has always been best when someone spurred him on. When Billy was around, Fred was much more energetic about doing voices and puppeteering. When Jackie would break his balls, Fred would come to life. (Also, Fred playing Jackie's laughs is music to my ears.) When Artie was around, Fred (I think) felt that it was a lighter, goofier atmosphere, and he made more noise as a result -- he seemed more relaxed.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

Didn't John make a shitload of money with those pump and dump stock schemes anyways?

Yes, but this allowed him to live a lavish lifestyle while being able to sleep at night. Although I have no doubt that John was enough of a scumbag not to feel any remorse even if he understood what was happening.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

This is very true. Stockbrokers would call the show to get as close to Howard as they could, they'd offer John insider prices on IPOs before they went public, and he would make tons of money with no risk.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I started downloading Adam Carolla's podcast and more and more I'm finding myself listening to that while driving, even over new content. If the new content is Robin's News or the Wrap Up show, then it's not even a tough decision.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

Fred has always been best when someone spurred him on. When Billy was around, Fred was much more energetic about doing voices and puppeteering. When Jackie would break his balls, Fred would come to life. (Also, Fred playing Jackie's laughs is music to my ears.) When Artie was around, Fred (I think) felt that it was a lighter, goofier atmosphere, and he made more noise as a result -- he seemed more relaxed.

Yeah, this probably a better theory then my degenerative disease one.

Finndo posted:

I started downloading Adam Carolla's podcast and more and more I'm finding myself listening to that while driving, even over new content. If the new content is Robin's News or the Wrap Up show, then it's not even a tough decision.

God, what a depressing statement... Robin's news used to be my favorite part of the show back in the Krock days.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Finndo posted:

Does Adam still just do rants about being a man and how dumb broads are? Cause I get tired of him awfully quick when he does that Maddox style poo poo.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I haven't listened long enough to spot any trends, I think he's had a few comments of that nature but it's not a major theme of the show that I've noticed.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Does Adam still just do rants about being a man and how dumb broads are? Cause I get tired of him awfully quick when he does that Maddox style poo poo.

Sometimes he switches it up and talks about how awful poor people are.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Orchestrated Mess posted:

In the spirit of all of this, and I don't think this is :filez: since it was never officially released, here is KC Armstrong's DVD, "Die Laughing."

Surprised no one commented on this.

I'm watching this now and it re-affirms my belief that not only is/was KC Armstrong a Wack Packer, but also one of the scariest and potentially harmful members of the show. People like to poke fun at Fred for that title, or even Eliot Offen, but christ is KC a mess. The editing and typos in this video had to be by KC solely, I mean why else would it take almost ten years to release? It's all over the place, and it's just really demented.

An aside, what's your favorite KC moment? Mine was the gay parade appearance wearing a Carolina "COX" hat but KC being oblivious to the connection. :haw:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Cliche Guevara posted:

Surprised no one commented on this.

I'm watching this now and it re-affirms my belief that not only is/was KC Armstrong a Wack Packer, but also one of the scariest and potentially harmful members of the show. People like to poke fun at Fred for that title, or even Eliot Offen, but christ is KC a mess. The editing and typos in this video had to be by KC solely, I mean why else would it take almost ten years to release? It's all over the place, and it's just really demented.

An aside, what's your favorite KC moment? Mine was the gay parade appearance wearing a Carolina "COX" hat but KC being oblivious to the connection. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hgl2OUo15Y

"That guy is all over KC."

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Finndo posted:

I love Loveline, but Adam's podacast might as well be called "bitter old white man complaining about everything". I personally hate it.