Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

I dunno can you talk to people through the RFID chip in your credit card?

RFID chip doesn't transmit anything though, it relies on induction from an outside source to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

RFID chip doesn't transmit anything though, it relies on induction from an outside source to read it.

Ha! That's what they want you to think!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So Joe has stepped his game up and started intentionally crashing threads. Thanks, the Community thread wasn't bad enough as it is.

In the olden days of SA, he'd have been given mod powers by now!

Seriously, how many people have Irish Joe on ignore? And how would you rate your TVIV experience?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

zoux posted:

I dunno can you talk to people through the RFID chip in your credit card?

Can your RFID chip be read from space? It seemed pretty odd that the teens are given no technology other than the magic bracelets which are either transmitting to or being read from space. It's a neat trick if they don't have the technology for sat phones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So Joe has stepped his game up and started intentionally crashing threads. Thanks, the Community thread wasn't bad enough as it is.

In the olden days of SA, he'd have been given mod powers by now!

Seriously, how many people have Irish Joe on ignore? And how would you rate your TVIV experience?

Irish Joe owns, and should be a TVIV mod.

Acinonyx posted:

Can your RFID chip be read from space?

Yes. By the government.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 20, 2014

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

zoux posted:

Irish Joe owns, and should be a TVIV mod.

This but only the first part.

It's pretty hilarious when he replies to people only to miss the point of the post, which happens like 90% of the time, and it's awesome when it happens to a post you made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't have anyone on ignore and I'd be fine with Irish Joe being a mod.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Its funny, but all I'm asking people to do is think about their recommendations. If you're going to tell someone you think they should watch five hours of a tv show, you should have a better reason than "just because." In my professional capacity, I'm constantly asked to write letters of recommendation for the people who work under me. The hiring managers to whom I'm writing those letters don't know the person I'm recommending and don't know the dynamic of my department, so I can't just write "hire Janet because at least she's not Fred" and expect it to mean anything. Instead, I have to be specific and have specific examples to illustrate why the person I'm recommending is worthy of the job. In other words, I actually have to think through my opinion and justify it with a good illustrative argument. Now, don't get me wrong, five hours isn't a whole lot of time and a season of television isn't nearly as important as a job opportunity, but if you're going to recommend someone spend their time watching a tv show (or doing anything for that matter), at least have a single actual, honest-to-god positive reason for doing so.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
For what it's worth, I think Joe was initially a little rough, but he salvaged it when he challenged people to come up with reasons to watch the entirety of Community S4 without resorting to the kind of lazy reasoning he just railed against. Some people got annoyed at that anyway because, well, they're children, but it's resulted in a few legit posts in a thread not known for them.

There's a lesson here, I think.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So what's the problem with Fred?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha did you buy that guy the redtext avatar or is it the one he already had?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo, what I said still stands but that troll on the "winner" is loving amazing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Irish Joe with a loving Slam Dunk in the Community thread holy poo poo. :thurman:

:laffo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When will people realize the only way you can lose at the internet is to get irl mad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Austrian mook posted:

Irish Joe with a loving Slam Dunk in the Community thread holy poo poo. :thurman:

:laffo:

Slam Dunk? Son, that was a loving boardbreaker.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't even remember the last time I disagreed with Irish Joe on something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Seriously, how many people have Irish Joe on ignore?

Nobody, I would hope. He's always either right, or funny. Many people are neither.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
So many people on this forum are so wrong all of the time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

There's a lesson here, I think.

"Don't you dare like something the goon hivemind doesn't?"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

"Don't you dare like something the goon hivemind doesn't?"

Well, that's the lesson now, but I'm thinking there's got to be ways to promote better posting instead of just punishing terrible posting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'd rather just concentrate on the good posters and ignore the bad, that way threads don't turn into a circle jerk over who the worst poster is or how silly a discussion is, as this one is likely to do.

I enjoy the Couch Chat thread because it offers a better quality of general chat, I zone out when it starts talking about how poo poo everywhere else is because, frankly, who loving cares?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Sorry man, I wrote this before you posted that. :shobon:

DivisionPost posted:

Well, that's the lesson now, but I'm thinking there's got to be ways to promote better posting instead of just punishing terrible posting.

I know people like to get up in arms about talking about threads in couch chat but let's be real here, telling someone "Watch this season of a show because why not?" really is The Worst.

Goofus says: "Even though season 4 of Community is lovely and the show isn't even serialized so the plot doesn't matter, it's still better than Two and a Half Men so watch it!"

Gallant says: "Season 2 of Friday Night Lights has some awkward plot mis-steps, but the acting and writing are still largely on point and if you enjoyed season 1 you will likely enjoy it, just not as much."

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
And while those guys losing it was funny, Joe was essentially making a less extreme version of the "why are you complaining about x when there are CHILDREN STARVING IN AFRICA!!!" argument. Everyone loses in such a case imo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw this linked at AV Club, Graph TV which takes a show and then graphs the IMDB rating for each episode. Its interesting to see at least one site's opinion on a show and how it changes as is goes along.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

Saw this linked at AV Club, Graph TV which takes a show and then graphs the IMDB rating for each episode. Its interesting to see at least one site's opinion on a show and how it changes as is goes along.

BBT looks like Fred Phelps' EKG.

I like the show just fine, but yeah that's about right.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Scrubs' graph is pretty great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

BBT looks like Fred Phelps' EKG.

I like the show just fine, but yeah that's about right.

The graph for Northern Exposure is eerily on point.

edit: Ahahaha check out Sons of Anarchy

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Dexter graph is pretty hilarious.

e: The Pokemon graph is also a lot more populated than I expected it to be.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FadingChord posted:

Every episode of season 3 averaging above an 8 is just wrong though. :psyduck:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Its funny, but all I'm asking people to do is think about their recommendations. If you're going to tell someone you think they should watch five hours of a tv show, you should have a better reason than "just because." In my professional capacity, I'm constantly asked to write letters of recommendation for the people who work under me. The hiring managers to whom I'm writing those letters don't know the person I'm recommending and don't know the dynamic of my department, so I can't just write "hire Janet because at least she's not Fred" and expect it to mean anything. Instead, I have to be specific and have specific examples to illustrate why the person I'm recommending is worthy of the job. In other words, I actually have to think through my opinion and justify it with a good illustrative argument. Now, don't get me wrong, five hours isn't a whole lot of time and a season of television isn't nearly as important as a job opportunity, but if you're going to recommend someone spend their time watching a tv show (or doing anything for that matter), at least have a single actual, honest-to-god positive reason for doing so.

Do you teach at Miskatonic University Y/N

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Scrubs' graph is pretty great.

I don't watch Scrubs, what happened in "My Night to Remember" that causes it to be such a drop?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Apparently IMDB does not care for season 3 of Dragonball Z :stare:

I don't watch Scrubs, what happened in "My Night to Remember" that causes it to be such a drop?

Clip show. The same thing happens with the graph for The Office.

e: I've plugged in several dozen shows that were pretty lovely at points in hopes of finding a really wacky graph, but Season 2 of DBZ might be the highest-rated season of anything I've seen so far.

:psyduck:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Person of Interest graph shows both steady improvement and that imdb sometimes has good opinions :c00l:

EDIT

FadingChord posted:

e: The Pokemon graph is also a lot more populated than I expected it to be.
Ahaha yeah nothing beats Dexter's.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 20, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FadingChord posted:

Apparently IMDB does not care for season 3 of Dragonball Z :stare:

Clip show. The same thing happens with the graph for The Office.

e: I've plugged in several dozen shows that were pretty lovely at points in hopes of finding a really wacky graph, but Season 2 of DBZ might be the highest-rated season of anything I've seen so far.

:psyduck:

Breaking Bad is all in high 9.5 with Ozymandias being a perfect 10. Which season was season 3?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Austrian mook posted:

Breaking Bad is all in high 9.5 with Ozymandias being a perfect 10. Which season was season 3?

The one with the Twins and the start of the Gus feud. No half measures.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Wow, why did everyone hate season 4 of The Sopranos so much?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
:stare: Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Season 2 of Dragonball Z is all like 9.8's across the board. Are all these reviewers just remembering the show? Bc Dragonball Z was the poo poo when I was 12.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like the smooth increase on Arrow...and the drop from 4.21 to 4.22 on Farscape.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Survivor is either really weird or really accurate. A whole lot of them just drop like a stone, which is weird since Survivor usually sucks balls until the merge (halfway point). Of course there are seasons where the post-merge game is a boring slog too.

I'm not a sperg so I don't care enough to cross reference the individual seasons, but I bet someone is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Season 2 of Dragonball Z is all like 9.8's across the board. Are all these reviewers just remembering the show? Bc Dragonball Z was the poo poo when I was 12.

I didn't watch much DBZ even though we're the same age (because my mom wouldn't let me :smith:) but the impression the internet gave me was that Trunks/Cell was the poo poo. I can see how it was where the serious started having ridiculous pacing issues, but apparently the first three seasons only have one episode that's less than an 8.8, the third season is uniformly terrible, and then everything after Cell has a more "typical" distribution.

Also apparently the second half of auditions for American Idol this season were an all-time high for the show. The graphs for your Pawn Stars/American Pickers/Duck Dynasty-type shows aren't as exciting as you'd think they are, but I never realized they made so many episodes of Ancient Aliens.

e: Family Guy is surprisingly consistent. And my habit of only watching the last episode of the later seasons of House appears to have been a smart move.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread