Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Arthil posted:

Smooth as butter on my i5 4570 though.

i5 2500k chokes to death on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Harettazetta posted:

Mind you I also got 8GB of RAM and a GTX 760. So not sure whether that would be why.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
16GB and a GTX 770, so if I'm not CPU bound, I'm truly at a loss.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Harettazetta posted:

I have an i5 2500k with 8GB RAM and a 560ti and it doesn't chug. Get 40-60 FPS.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

I get 35-60 when I'm not actively exploring. What I consider chugging are the drat frame drops when traversing the continent, seems to be associated with assets loading in. Even with the game installed on an SSD, I'm getting just assloads of hitching all over the place - framedrops down to 2-5 fps, and pisses me off like no other. CPU's the only place I can think of that'd be the bottleneck.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The FPS display should show you whether you're CPU-bound or GPU-bound.

I'm guessing the speed of your DRAM is going to be a significant factor in how much your client hitches and stutters too. There's a whole lot of voxel data that needs to be pushed around.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is it normal for this game to rack up 5gb ram after a couple hours

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Yep. It consumes hard drive space like a ravenous beast, as well.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

signalnoise posted:

Part of memory leaks and alpha

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Al Borland posted:

Part of memory leaks and alpha

The previous post reminded me about it ... so I checked my cache. 30 gigs. WOW... urggggh.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

En Fuego posted:

The previous post reminded me about it ... so I checked my cache. 30 gigs. WOW... urggggh.

Has there been any word on that? That seems like the sort of thing that could really wear down an SSD. I think it's been 10gb+ every time I go to clear it.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
That shouldn't be a problem. Modern SSDs are designed to handle 20 to 50 GB of writes per day until their warranty is up (typically 3+ years), and it should take much more than a day's worth of exploring to fill up your cache folder completely (unless you island hop all the time)

Unchecking anything that says "cache" in the options supposedly gets rid of the cache altogether, but I never tested it.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

So many new things this patch...but nothing beats the satisfaction of using a new axe to cut a tree that only drops burled wood...and refining it into a ...surprising number of logs.

(cash shop is open now too).

xutech fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 15, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:staredog: I just stumbled over this and am thinking about taking the plunge on a $60 purchase for closed beta stuff. Really refreshing to see how transparent the dev team is being here.

What's a rough prognosis of the game so far? I see mention of resource grinding, and I'm honestly kind of okay with this. Y'know, voxel games being time-sinks by nature :v: Also, a quote a few pages back stood out to me. So, is there a skill/RPG-system behind this (versus Minecraft, where you just need supplies)? I saw mention of activity completion/achievements affecting item progression. Is this sort of thing implemented, or is it more of a down-the-road concept?

Achievement grinding is, uh, oddly therapeutic to me, hence the curiosity.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
I wouldn't advise buying the $60 access right now. First, te $20 tier gets access in about 2 weeks, ad unless you really love building stuff, there's nothing else to play except building.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, I'd say wait until the end of the month as well. There's going to be a wipe and hopefully a content update with a revamped world at that point. It's always possible to upgrade later if you want the vanity items from one of the more expensive packs.

Geop posted:

What's a rough prognosis of the game so far? I see mention of resource grinding, and I'm honestly kind of okay with this. Y'know, voxel games being time-sinks by nature :v: Also, a quote a few pages back stood out to me. So, is there a skill/RPG-system behind this (versus Minecraft, where you just need supplies)? I saw mention of activity completion/achievements affecting item progression. Is this sort of thing implemented, or is it more of a down-the-road concept?

You don't need to level up something like a mining or woodcutting skill before you can collect certain materials, it's all dependent on where you are in terms of item progression. There aren't any traditional RPG elements like skills or attribute points and I'm not sure there will ever be. SOE considers achievements the equivalent of quests in Landmark and wants to tie them into character and item progression.

There's a roadmap for the stuff they've planned:
https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/eqnl-roadmap.18810/

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Geop posted:

:staredog: I just stumbled over this and am thinking about taking the plunge on a $60 purchase for closed beta stuff. Really refreshing to see how transparent the dev team is being here.

Achievement grinding/resource harvesting is really relaxing for me too, so I've thoroughly enjoyed the alpha so far because that's all it really is (also building obviously) minus the achievements. I did the $60 and I've played (too) many hours already just working my way up in item progression and building when I eventually get bored of harvesting.

If you can wait two weeks it'd definitely be cheaper but I've played enough in the past two weeks to warrant $60 on it IMO.

I made my first Indigo pick today and it was legendary :3: it makes mining fun!

I also got bored of my first claim so I added this to it. It was my attempt at recreating one of my favorite houses in UO (Two story villa).

I half-assed it.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'll hold off for a couple of weeks, then! Didn't know alpha was wrapping up :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

starfish posted:

I also got bored of my first claim so I added this to it. It was my attempt at recreating one of my favorite houses in UO (Two story villa).

I half-assed it.

I had a feeling I'd be beaten to the punch, but the first thing I was going to do when the game opens to the public was recreate all the old UO houses. Are you planning to do others or just stick with that one?

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

I helped run a UO freeshard (Rel Por) that had a custom map last year and I really, really liked one of the cities we made so I'll be remaking that eventually. I might make a couple more of the Renaissance era houses though, because they're interesting to look at, although I'm sure you could make a pretty rad castle.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

quote:

Closed Beta Begins Ma‌rch 26‌th!
What does this mean for you?

• Explore a whole new world! Closed Beta features new procedurally-generated continents (including the new Tundra and Old-Growth Forest environments), an in-game marketplace, and more!
• Landmark servers will be down on 3/‌24 and 3/‌25 to wipe the servers for Closed Beta on 3/‌26. Everything except your Character and templates will be wiped. Your Character will be retained, however all progression will be wiped. We will save your existing claim as a template. All of your templates, Marketplace purchases and Founder’s Pack items will be saved.
• Settler’s Pack purchasers will receive instructions when the servers are up to access Closed Beta.
• Trailblazer Pack purchasers will receive an email including their 4 shareable Time-Limited Closed Beta keys on 3/‌26. If you want your friends with you from day 1, buy or upgrade now!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Geop posted:

I'll hold off for a couple of weeks, then! Didn't know alpha was wrapping up :v:

Trailblazers are getting 4 limited duration beta keys, I'm sure a million and one people would be willing to throw you one because you've got a star next to your name if you wanted to try it out.

The game is still way off from being feature complete so there's very little RPG element currently.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Bashez posted:

Trailblazers are getting 4 limited duration beta keys, I'm sure a million and one people would be willing to throw you one because you've got a star next to your name if you wanted to try it out.

The game is still way off from being feature complete so there's very little RPG element currently.

Good news: the four keys that come with the Trailblazer pack are no longer time limited!

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/update-trailblazer-pack-4-shareable-closed-beta-keys.25547

Christopher
May 29, 2006
:siren: If anyone wants to pitch in together for closed beta access let me know. :siren:

I suggested this a while ago but got white knighted because I wasn't aware of the time-limit but now that it has been removed and the 4 keys have unlimited access, if anyone wants to get together to purchase a trailblazer pack (e.g. 4 people pay 10, and the trailblazer pays 60) inbox me. Once I've gotten 4 messages I'll remove this post and we'll work out the details together.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Christopher posted:

:siren: If anyone wants to pitch in together for closed beta access let me know. :siren:

I suggested this a while ago but got white knighted because I wasn't aware of the time-limit but now that it has been removed and the 4 keys have unlimited access, if anyone wants to get together to purchase a trailblazer pack (e.g. 4 people pay 10, and the trailblazer pays 60) inbox me. Once I've gotten 4 messages I'll remove this post and we'll work out the details together.

I am more than happy to give my keys for free to anyone who feels the need to pay some dickish goon $10 for one.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Yeah, I'll probably be pasting them in here as well once I get them. I've no need for them personally.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've been overseas for work the last couple weeks, and won't be back until first part of April... god drat it I'm going to totally miss out on a swanky location for the beta. Anyone got any idea if a surface pro 2 with 4gb of ram would even be capable of running this?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Guys, can you please not whiteknight, please. The guy is only trying to exploit some goons.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I canceled my trailblazer pre-order because I wasn't going to have the time to play to make it worth it, but when you guys get your beta keys, I would very much appreciate one. Have they made it so you can get the same resources on the same island yet, or is that still coming?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

What a Judas posted:

Have they made it so you can get the same resources on the same island yet, or is that still coming?

This is just speculation, but I think they'll keep the tiered islands until the open beta starts. The end goal is to have resources spawn at different depths with higher tiered resources found in deeper caverns, but the roadmap says that caves aren't ready for the closed beta yet.

I'm assuming they can't just add caves to a world when the map is already generated. If that's the case then I'd guess the most convenient time to introduce worlds with caves would be during the wipe between closed and open beta.

Or maybe they'll just add new islands when they've got the cavern algorithm for world creation working, since they added new islands for the new biomes as well.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Ajax posted:

I am more than happy to give my keys for free to anyone who feels the need to pay some dickish goon $10 for one.

I was planning to pay $10 as I have no interest in the items that come along with the packs and figured there are other goons in the same boat. If there's a goon willing to pay for a trailblazer pack, what's dickish about offering him $10 for a key?

Christopher fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2014

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So the game is up for some impromptu testing at the moment, if anyone wants to scratch their itch.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

is there going to be a new download and launcher for the beta, or is it worth downloading the alpha now and then just patching when the beta comes?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So I tried to make it to Lethality Group's 36 claim city ... and got lost in the Chrysler Building on the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCT-ZPZ8n-o

I have a pretty good rig, but their place just kills my FR. I have everything at MAX tho, so I can probably fix it by turning that down. But I don't waaaaanna, yet.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Anyone know what time the servers will come up tomorrow? I'm sperging out over being at work during the day and missing out on a decent spot :f5:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

fireWARKs posted:

Anyone know what time the servers will come up tomorrow? I'm sperging out over being at work during the day and missing out on a decent spot :f5:

Not yet. Whatever time it says will be between then and 6 hours later is it's anything like the other server starts.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Per twitter they are aiming for 10 AM PDT Wednesday which means 2 AM Thursday morning.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Looks like alpha people will have to download a new launcher tomorrow morning. I hope it is possible to copy and paste the old files in so we do not have to redownload everything.

The islands will still be tiered at the beginning. Later, there will be a claim wipe when caves and water are added. Where do goons want to go?

First column is alphabetical. Second is by tier.

Georgeson also posted new starting steps:

quote:

IF YOU HAVE A FOUNDER'S PICK!
* Mine some copper and craft a pair of Keen Eye Bands (discovery stat ftw!)
* Go find some iron and the other resources you need to make a claim flag.
* Make that flag at the BASIC FORGE at the Hub. (The hub no longer has a Stone Forge.)
* Go stake your claim.
* Then go back to the hub, make a Stone Forge, and take it back to your claim so that you can make Iron Ingots and such. (Basic Forge only smelts copper and tin.)
* Build an Alchemy Station, then an Iron Pick, then a Silver Axe.
* Up to you at this point, but pro tip...consider an Outfitter's Station so you get access to better Discovery accessories.

IF YOU DO *NOT* HAVE A FOUNDER'S PICK!
* Start out by building a Copper Pick.
* Gather more copper and build a pair of Keen Eye Bands
* Build a Tin Axe (not strictly necessary, but nicer than the Stone Axe).
* Build a claim flag and plant your claim
* Refer to the post-claim steps in the list above!

Finally, a dev posted an explanation of how stats work Friday.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

dang, so no one is starting with a claim flag this time? guess that will slow down the rush a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

Sancho posted:

Per twitter they are aiming for 10 AM PDT Wednesday which means 2 AM Thursday morning.

@LandmarkGame posted:

Hey folks - we are likely going to need to adjust the 10AM PDT ETA. No new time yet. Will update when more info is available. [Dexella]

:monocle:

• Locked thread