Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

He's still a 3 mana 3/2 with Deathtouch. I can't count the number of people who forget the fucker has Deathtouch and just swing giant guys into him.

Yeah but if you're looking for DT you can just play Thrill Kill Assassan and bring down your curve. Anyway if you're worried about blocking with an aggro deck you're already losing. I'd rather have Doom Blades/Hero's Downfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BXCX posted:

I know I'm a page or two behind, but has there ever been any discussion on using chess clocks to discourage slow play? I've seen MODO streams where people lose to the clock once they hit 25 minutes, outside of the expense of having to buy a shitload of clocks is there any practical reason they couldn't give that a go?

This is how it's done on modo and it's loving awful. Anyone who plays UW control on there right now is a terrible person because it's just a stall deck....you don't really DO anything but respond to your opponent and gain life, so you can F6 away your entire turn for the most part, while your opponent has to actually do things that take time to try to win. Their win condition is literally "opponent runs out of cards or time".

In a live tournament, this is not as viable because they HAVE TO win game 1, but online they can be 0-1 at 2 life about to die but the opponent's clock runs out and they inexplicably win the match because they conserved time by not actually playing to win.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ScarletBrother posted:

Are the common print runs that are on MODO the same ones that appear in paper?

What are you talking about?

Korak posted:

There are a bunch of 4-7 mana land destruction spells in Standard right now, the biggest issue is what kind of deck can do both the land destruction route plus win the game? Maybe a BGR deck that goes heavy on the kill spells for any threats that get through with Pack Rat being the main win con?

Demolish is inestimably worse than Pillage. One of these is a format staple and one is limited sideboard material.

If you want to deny mana, cutting them off at 2-3 is good and cutting them off at 3-4 is not, plus the usual probability issues with hitting 4 mana reliably vs. 3, plus being on curve to come off a Birds of Paradise on turn 2, etc.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but if you're looking for DT you can just play Thrill Kill Assassan and bring down your curve. Anyway if you're worried about blocking with an aggro deck you're already losing. I'd rather have Doom Blades/Hero's Downfalls.

4 Hero's Downfall is fine in the deck. I am playing an aggressive strategy to get as many dudes across as possible. I want to kill one or two while pushing damage through. Nothing more, really. I eschew a lot of removal to put in more critters, and hopefully push through with Mogis's Marauder.

It has problems with w/b midrange due to Blood Baron and them being black (no intimidate to get through), but it's still fun.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

What are you talking about?

In packs (for booster draft is usually where this comes up) the commons in any given pack come in 'print runs' where the same cards are always in a pack with one another. For instance, in Born of the Gods, Oreskos Sun Guide and Elite Skirmisher are in the same print run. If you know the print runs, you can sometimes tell what common is missing from the pack.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Well, the guy doesn't have haste. It isn't unreasonable for a guy to swing a Polukranos and a Courser of Kruphix into a lone Agent in which you process to Eye Gouge him, then block whoever they don't sac.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The problem of trying to apply game clocks to paper magic is that priority is constantly shifting.

Or I don't know, maybe that would be a good thing, having to explicitly acknowledge every time you pass priority.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is how it's done on modo and it's loving awful. Anyone who plays UW control on there right now is a terrible person because it's just a stall deck....you don't really DO anything but respond to your opponent and gain life, so you can F6 away your entire turn for the most part, while your opponent has to actually do things that take time to try to win. Their win condition is literally "opponent runs out of cards or time".

In a live tournament, this is not as viable because they HAVE TO win game 1, but online they can be 0-1 at 2 life about to die but the opponent's clock runs out and they inexplicably win the match because they conserved time by not actually playing to win.

Theres more to it then that, though in an automated environment it works fine-ish, in play, you have to deal with all the passes of priority during each phase. So heres an example, Main Phase 1 I play a forest, tap it, then cast elvish mystic, pass priority. Than the opponent has to pass priority back to me before it can resolve. OK so it resolves, than I pass priority back to the opponent, who than passess priority back to me so we can head to the combat step. That's a very oversimplified example, but we end up with a minimum of 4 pushes on the chess clock in that one phase. It just is to much complexity for a chess clock.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

The problem of trying to apply game clocks to paper magic is that priority is constantly shifting.

Or I don't know, maybe that would be a good thing, having to explicitly acknowledge every time you pass priority.

I don't want to have to press my button on a chess clock 5 times every combat.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

That would be fine for highly experienced players, but hell, how many FNM regulars have no concept of priority, let alone people attending a GP for the first time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Well, the guy doesn't have haste. It isn't unreasonable for a guy to swing a Polukranos and a Courser of Kruphix into a lone Agent in which you process to Eye Gouge him, then block whoever they don't sac.

If you're only playing eye gouge to target agent why not play Boon of Erebos instead?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, it would be awful.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Yeah, it would be awful.

Besides, I announce when I pass priority anyway in paper magic.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Besides, I announce when I pass priority anyway in paper magic.

Every time?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

If you're only playing eye gouge to target agent why not play Boon of Erebos instead?
It's not just there was a cute Heroic trick, it's there primarily to kill Mutavault or Soldier of the Pantheon or Elvish Mystic or Imposing Sovereign or Lifebane Zombie or any of the half dozen other x/1s that see standard play.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Not only. It kills the best card in Standard (Mutavault), stops turn 2 Domri (which can potentially destroy you) by killing mana elf, or just blows out any X/1 you see.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

Not only. It kills the best card in Standard (Mutavault), stops turn 2 Domri (which can potentially destroy you) by killing mana elf, or just blows out any X/1 you see.

I see that point but if you top deck it later than turn 2 it's usually going to be horrible. Unlike Doom Blade which you can Board for Dark Betrayal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

In main phases and combat phases. If stuff is being cast or activated in other phases. I started doing it because people would try and rush through so I couldn't get a chance to respond to their spells/abilities, so I started rigidly enforcing it when I play. I won't say its a good practice to get into, but it has been helpful for me. It forces me to stop and actually decide what I am going to do at each point and reevaluate my board state and decisions. I only do this in competitive games and if I'm dicking around with friends or the person is obviously a newbie, I don't do it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

mcmagic posted:

I see that point but if you top deck it later than turn 2 it's usually going to be horrible. Unlike Doom Blade which you can Board for Dark Betrayal.

If you top deck it later it can still kill a mutavault or target your agent of the fates.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Madmarker posted:

In main phases and combat phases. If stuff is being cast or activated in other phases. I started doing it because people would try and rush through so I couldn't get a chance to respond to their spells/abilities, so I started rigidly enforcing it when I play. I won't say its a good practice to get into, but it has been helpful for me. It forces me to stop and actually decide what I am going to do at each point and reevaluate my board state and decisions.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic. I do the same thing at Competitive REL. If it's just FNM, I'm fine backing people up if necessary.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic. I do the same thing at Competitive REL. If it's just FNM, I'm fine backing people up if necessary.

Heh, you never know with this thread, some people get upset over the strangest stuff.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker posted:

Heh, you never know with this thread, some people get upset over the strangest stuff.

There was a long and protracted beef over New Slivers but now I am not sure how many people remember that Slivers are Standard legal.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Kabanaw posted:

If you top deck it later it can still kill a mutavault or target your agent of the fates.

It can also turn unfavorable blocks more favorable. Pretty fringe on that, but still another possibility.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

I still would rather topdeck a Doom Blade/Dark Betrayal 90% of the time and replace the Agent's with something like 2x more Lifebane's and an extra Tormented Hero/Maurader. Just my opinion.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Or do like me and splash blue for Triton Tactics.
Oh? You're going to sac an elvish mystic to tap down my desecration demon? Well say hello to a heroic trigger to make you sac a non-trivial creature and a bigger demon ready to swing at your face all for one blue mana.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
In less lovely posting Huey Jensens article on CFB that is just a few little fun stories has started trending on twitter. #mtgstories. LSV jumped in and Kibler says he is going to as well. Best idea ever.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

In less lovely posting Huey Jensens article on CFB that is just a few little fun stories has started trending on twitter. #mtgstories. LSV jumped in and Kibler says he is going to as well. Best idea ever.

The Peter Szigeti story is pretty great, got me to dredge up the Jeff Cunningham thing about Szigeti's more controversial antics. Also the story itself is pretty great.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 20, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

There was a long and protracted beef over New Slivers but now I am not sure how many people remember that Slivers are Standard legal.

:cough: I am one of the people who hates new slivers. I don't mind the change in templating (well I do but I understand it and can accept the logic) but I despise the new art direction.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

Okay thanks for actually defining the term which was what I was trying to get to - that is - to blast the term "non-interactive" for being nonsense as opposed to defending any kind of pet deck.

But What's so special about a board state that makes it only include permanents? I consider the hand, the stack, and life totals all important parts of a board state, and all of these decks interact with a board state by that definition.

By interacting with my opponent's life total I'm interacting with his board state.

I know this is from a few pages back but by golly I've never seen someone as deserving of their big custom red title as you, lol

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I pulled a foil Jarad from a random RTR pack that was just on the ground in the middle of the sidewalk, so now I want to make a G/B EDH deck. Anyone got any ideas for traps to avoid/must have cards? I'm thinking of picking up Jarad's Orders just for flavor and tutor.

Madmarker posted:

:cough: I am one of the people who hates new slivers. I don't mind the change in templating (well I do but I understand it and can accept the logic) but I despise the new art direction.
That's pretty much the consensus. Templating=ok, new art=the butts.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
A friend of mine played Tarmogoyf on an empty grave. 0/1.

His opponent Flame Jabs it. 1/2, 1 damage.

This didn't get the desired result, so he discards a land to retrace Flame Jab. 2/3, 2 damage.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zemyla posted:

This didn't get the desired result, so he discards a land to retrace Flame Jab. 2/3, 2 damage.

Ahahahahahaha.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zemyla posted:

Love it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
At least the second retrace would finally do the trick (barring it somehow being a darksteel citadel or something) and he'd only have been three-for-oned :v:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zemyla posted:

The good news is for most players that do this, it only has to come up once to learn from it.

Veyrall posted:

I pulled a foil Jarad from a random RTR pack that was just on the ground in the middle of the sidewalk, so now I want to make a G/B EDH deck. Anyone got any ideas for traps to avoid/must have cards? I'm thinking of picking up Jarad's Orders just for flavor and tutor.
That's pretty much the consensus. Templating=ok, new art=the butts.
Don't go completely all in on the graveyard idea if your group runs graveyard hate.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Homo for Hitler posted:

Does anybody happen to have "artwork" of the gay Jace? Someone is sponsoring me a custom play mat and i think this photo would best serve as a mat.

"Gay Jace" is a bit broad. The first thing that comes to mind is the "Jace x Sorin" one that imitates Argyle. If that's what you want, just use that as a Google search term.

But the internet has made sure you need to be a lot more specific than just "gay Jace".

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Zemyla posted:

Wasn't Tarmogoyf originally intended to operate the more rational way, where it's a 0/0 with an empty graveyard? Not that it matters, because it still would be the best green creature for miles.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yes, plus it cost 2G.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So I play Brimaz in the sideboard of my Bant Walkers deck. I needed tokens, which I feel obligated to share here:

Those are my cats. I made them armor tonight :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

So I play Brimaz in the sideboard of my Bant Walkers deck. I needed tokens, which I feel obligated to share here:

Those are my cats. I made them armor tonight :3:

So would like to add a set of these guys to my proxy order. I definitely need them for Modern.

• Locked thread