Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

(d) Fast development :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ITGO league game one for aeroplane:

http://eidogo.com/#1tK56cCdE

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Kheldragar posted:

Neat game. The early-mid game where you keep leapfrogging all over the middle was pretty incomprehensible to me. I love your terror of ko fights.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Here's the punishment for your ogeima slide:

http://eidogo.com/#1QeTyYTyI

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Here's the punishment for your ogeima slide:

http://eidogo.com/#1QeTyYTyI

I actually did that exact variation when I was going through the eidogo file. :sun: At least now I know to only play a small knight in this variation.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Lost by 2.5 points to Crnobog because I wasn't paying attention and let myself be cut and die. :cool: I'll take it as a moral victory.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Lost by 2.5 points to Crnobog because I wasn't paying attention and let myself be cut and die. :cool: I'll take it as a moral victory.

Don't.

If you lost, you loving lost. Pay more attention.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Every time I beat Khel I feel a little uncomfortable.

The games themselves are really good though!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

KGS March Iron Man Tournament
Kyu Handicap Division Round 4
avi (4k) vs. Xombar (5k)

Aeroplane reviewed a (non-ITGO-league) game I played. Thanks Aero!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I was reading a review of jubango #2 and a I know it's the highest level of play so most of the moves will be beyond me, but move 191 seems like a pointless throw it. can someone explain the purpose of this move? http://gogameguru.com/go-commentary-gu-li-vs-lee-sedol-jubango-game-2/

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

I was reading a review of jubango #2 and a I know it's the highest level of play so most of the moves will be beyond me, but move 191 seems like a pointless throw it. can someone explain the purpose of this move? http://gogameguru.com/go-commentary-gu-li-vs-lee-sedol-jubango-game-2/
Here's my guess as to what's going on (I didn't bother to read it out): It's sente when it's played (g1 followup), and forces White to play additional teire (reinforcing moves inside his territory) when dame are filled.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hey, one of you DDKs try to win with Mirror Go taking 2 Handi against a bot significantly stronger than you.
I'd like to see what happens. :kheldragar:

(click for manual flipping)

*Not pictured: a bot significantly stronger than me. (note also the winning margin was affected by the bot's lategame desperation plays)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

It's an endgame thing. Depending on how White answers it, Black will have some small sente moves against that group later. It's a little too subtle for me to understand exactly how much it gains, but it's a point or so.

I think when White answers this way it makes F1 sente later, for instance (or would have, if White hadn't ended up connecting underneath), while if he answered any other way, then L1 would be sente immediately.

xopods fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 17, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Hey, one of you DDKs try to win with Mirror Go taking 2 Handi against a bot significantly stronger than you.

*Not pictured: a bot significantly stronger than me. (note also the winning margin was affected by the bot's lategame desperation plays)

Strong bots are weird because, when you're winning, they'll start playing in your territory trying to create weaknesses when there are none. Oh, that cut point looks dodgy! No, no it isn't. I could only find a 3d 9x9 bot right now because there were no 19x19, and unsuprisingly, I lost by exactly komi.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Xom posted:

Too bad you can't rank boost yourself anymore, now that Zen was changed so that handicap could no longer be placed manually.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Strong bots are weird because, when you're winning, they'll start playing in your territory trying to create weaknesses when there are none.

How is this different from every human kyu player on KGS?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

How is this different from every human kyu player on KGS?

I would expects bots touted as 3d+ to realise how something just does not work. As in even an 18k can realise it does not work.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Kheldragar posted:

I would expects bots touted as 3d+ to realise how something just does not work. As in even an 18k can realise it does not work.

The way Go AI typically work is using something called a Monte Carlo simulation, which basically means they play out a large number of possible games from the current board state and then choose whichever next move leads to the best chance of winning. There are often times where the only way to really win is if your opponent makes a large mistake, which is when the pointless invasions that can be stopped by a DDK start happening.

AI doesn't think like humans, so while you might look at an invasion and use whatever heuristics to realize it will not work, the AI doesn't do that. There is a fundamentally different decision making process going on.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Today I learned the reason to o6 instead of o5 is that W q6 makes good shape.

Where should Black play now?

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Ideas from a DDK:

Since W is pretty strong on the right maybe B should be worried about the aji at F3?
Other than that I'd be worried about W playing on the right to make B small, so maybe something like R9 so as not to get sealed in.
5 threatened to take the corner and 6 said "ok then" so maybe B should play R2 and R4 to take the corner and be solid.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

No idea whatsoever but probably Q2, S2, O2. Who knows probably F4, its another problem that nobody knows the answer too cause its too vague. gently caress go

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Just play R9.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Just play R9.

If you're going to play locally, R8 is probably better than R9 as it discourages the Q6 attachment to make shape - in response, Black can then bulge at Q7 and make a powerful shape himself.

Kosumi at Q7 is also an option.

But probably you just tenuki most of the time. The Black group is already alive and doesn't need an extension.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

xopods posted:

If you're going to play locally, R8 is probably better than R9 as it discourages the Q6 attachment to make shape - in response, Black can then bulge at Q7 and make a powerful shape himself.

But probably you just tenuki most of the time. The Black group is already alive and doesn't need an extension.

Seconding that. There's not much profit in it for white to mess with that black group - he can do something in sente, or he can do something worth a few points, but at this stage of the game he can't do both. Odds are it will sit until late midgame, if white finds that pushing the black group further into the corner has some added value in another fight.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I said play r9 because I wanted black to take profit. :negative:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I said play r9 because I wanted black to take profit. :negative:

But by that logic we should open at 3-3 and then just make a series of two space jumps along the third line for as long as our opponent lets us.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I like R4 becauce I would either Q3 if white played a stone above, or I would Q5 if my opponent played Q3. My moves are probably actually super bad though.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

tentative8e8op posted:

I like R4 becauce I would either Q3 if white played a stone above, or I would Q5 if my opponent played Q3. My moves are probably actually super bad though.

R4-Q3-Q5 is gote and strengthens White as much as it does you. Admittedly, you get pretty nice shape, but you also fix White's weakness at P2.

It can be worth losing sente to fix your weaknesses if you're aiming at weaknesses in your opponent's position in the process... but if you're going to play moves that fix both your shapes, they'd better be sente, otherwise you're just doing your opponent favors.

EDIT: Actually, in posting this, I realize that if you want to continue locally, playing P2 immediately, as a probe, is not the worst idea in the world.

SECOND EDIT: Here: http://eidogo.com/#38LVFemvP

xopods fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 19, 2014

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I have a question about punishing this type of pincer. I totally botched my variation, so any advice is appreciated.
http://eidogo.com/#2pzueLjrq

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

I have a question about punishing this type of pincer. I totally botched my variation, so any advice is appreciated.
http://eidogo.com/#2pzueLjrq

What do you mean punishing? What's wrong with it? Black gets a wall, you get profit, and your approach stone is left as aji.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

Kheldragar posted:

What do you mean punishing? What's wrong with it? Black gets a wall, you get profit, and your approach stone is left as aji.

I think e3 is overplay by black, he has to extend and you get into standard joseki. http://eidogo.com/#ytTRXxAV

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

E3 is an overplay - if white replies with B3, then black is boned. If he connects at E4, white connects underneath to his pincer stone and B's direction is wrong. If black plays B4 to cut white off from the black stone, white can cut at E4 and black loses one of the groups. Try it and see if you can figure it out, e5 is one of the Great Classic Overplays.

Black's pincer itself isn't really something you can punish, but E3 absolutely is.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

A more social way to play simul

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

A more social way to play simul

Nine boards in one; a legitimate size.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Gorgy.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kheldragar posted:

You're right, punishing is way too optimistic. What I wanted to know is how to best use the good aji from the stone on the outside. I just feel like there should be a way to push black into overconcentrating while building something at the top.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Nightmare fusekis

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Svartvit posted:

You're right, punishing is way too optimistic. What I wanted to know is how to best use the good aji from the stone on the outside. I just feel like there should be a way to push black into overconcentrating while building something at the top.

That's not what aji means or how it works.

Aji is by definition something you aim at later, not something you try to leverage immediately.

EDIT: Here, look at this. Obviously the moves on the right side are not to be taken literally, but as a visual "..." to show you that stuff is going on elsewhere before we come back to the position.

http://eidogo.com/#2N2oOsHrn

xopods fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I take that as a no.