Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SeaTard posted:

Roman is treated no differently than any other culture, so you just have to wait for the events that convert the county culture.

The thing is, I heard that for a county to convert there would have to be a county of that culture bordering it, and since there are no Roman counties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Sistergodiva posted:

The thing is, I heard that for a county to convert there would have to be a county of that culture bordering it, and since there are no Roman counties?

That's one of the events for it, yeah. The other is an event (with the same MTTH as the normal one) where you "bring some boys from home" which automagically changes one of your province's (or maybe just your capital? can't remember, not sure) to your culture AND religion. That's the only way islands can change culture.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Can any of you mod people help me with fixing the Mythos mod? I downloaded it and it seems there's a problem with the gods, in that since they are so old, they constantly get the infirm and incapable events, ending up with a pantheon of comatose gods. It's lovecraftian and all, but I'd rather have them active. Would I just create an exemption for people with the "god" trait in the infirm and incapable events? How do I do that?

edit: vvvvv thanks

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 20, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TaurusTorus posted:

Can any of you mod people help me with fixing the Mythos mod? I downloaded it and it seems there's a problem with the gods, in that since they are so old, they constantly get the infirm and incapable events, ending up with a pantheon of comatose gods. It's lovecraftian and all, but I'd rather have them active. Would I just create an exemption for people with the "god" trait in the infirm and incapable events? How do I do that?

Stick this in there, over the effect={

code:
allow = {
	NOT = { has_trait = god }
}

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ulvino posted:

I'm planning to finish my Ironman Zirid Granada game before RoI releases, but after a long hiatus after usurping the Sultanate of Andalusia I need some extra motivation.

Would anyone be kind enough to repost that comic strip of the guy who didn't want to play as a Muslim but changes his mind after seeing how awesome they are?

As for motivation, I dunno, maybe try and make a merchant republic and see how ridiculous Muslim Merchant republics are? I'm not sure if you can do that in ironman though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Eimi posted:

As for motivation, I dunno, maybe try and make a merchant republic and see how ridiculous Muslim Merchant republics are? I'm not sure if you can do that in ironman though.

I don't think there's any way to transition between forms of government in Ironman, but there's no reason why you couldn't create a vassal muslim merchant republic. I've done it before.

You know, instead of having a dedicated theocracies DLC, it could be more interesting to have a DLC pack focused on the forms of government. Ideally, you'd also get playable land republics (maybe just use merchant republics as a base, then some stuff to account for lack of trade posts), and playable holy orders (shouldn't function any different from a playable theocracy); and a legitimate way to transition between government types.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

DStecks posted:

I don't think there's any way to transition between forms of government in Ironman, but there's no reason why you couldn't create a vassal muslim merchant republic. I've done it before.

You know, instead of having a dedicated theocracies DLC, it could be more interesting to have a DLC pack focused on the forms of government. Ideally, you'd also get playable land republics (maybe just use merchant republics as a base, then some stuff to account for lack of trade posts), and playable holy orders (shouldn't function any different from a playable theocracy); and a legitimate way to transition between government types.

I really want a way to do that, like being able to become a republic when I'm down on my luck and only have a county left.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So my character had a claim on another kingdom pressed on his behalf, they won it, and then I won an invasion and formed an empire about eight years into the reign of that kingdom. Now it's been ten years, and I can't switch the kingdom that I was given out of Gavelkind. This makes things a little complicated since I'm getting pretty old and have eleven children. Do I need to wait until I've had the top level title for ten years to switch the laws? There are three different kingdom titles in there, and since one of them is on gavelkind every title is getting passed to a different son.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

I really want a way to do that, like being able to become a republic when I'm down on my luck and only have a county left.

By transition legitimately, I meant "people in republics don't lose feudal claims". A ruler transitioning governments during their lifetime is absolutely ahistorical, to an unjustifiable degree.

And even then, there would need to be checks on it. If Venice just permanently inherited France out of the blue, that would be pants-shittingly overpowered; because of all the extra retinues that it would be entitled to.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Eimi posted:

Thank you kind sir! Actually I just played a few years and I think I recovered the "feel" of the game. :unsmith:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Ulvino posted:

Thank you kind sir! Actually I just played a few years and I think I recovered the "feel" of the game. :unsmith:

Yeah I actually find playing as Muslims really fun, I just love all of their flavour events etc.

Soon as Rajahs comes out I'll get started spreading the word.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
After a few games as various Indian rulers and the absolutely necessary Norse conquest of India, I will lead the Umayyads to conquer the whole Muslim world plus India, creating the most advanced civilization the Earth has ever seen and leaving the barbarian Europeans to their petty struggles! :black101:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Torrannor posted:

After a few games as various Indian rulers and the absolutely necessary Norse conquest of India, I will lead the Umayyads to conquer the whole Muslim world plus India, creating the most advanced civilization the Earth has ever seen and leaving the barbarian Europeans to their petty struggles! :black101:

When you convert to EUIV you'll still inexplicably be stuck in a lovely tech group and Europe will laugh as it outpaces you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Last Emperor posted:

Yeah I actually find playing as Muslims really fun, I just love all of their flavour events etc.

Soon as Rajahs comes out I'll get started spreading the word.

I think I will finally play as a Muslim after Rajas, since the decadence rework looks quite good. I'm still mad that Muslims are stuck on agnatic open with no matrilineal marriages, but c'est la vie at this point.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Torrannor posted:

Norse conquest of India

Viking prows on the river Ganges.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nutranurse posted:

When you convert to EUIV you'll still inexplicably be stuck in a lovely tech group and Europe will laugh as it outpaces you.

I don't own any EU games, so there is no problem! I wonder what tech groups the Indian faiths will get since I think Buddhism has a tech bonus in CK2.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I don't own any EU games, so there is no problem! I wonder what tech groups the Indian faiths will get since I think Buddhism has a tech bonus in CK2.

Well there's already an Indian tech group and it's even worse than the Muslim tech group! So probably still stuck with that. Really EU4's tech system is...well western biased to a fault but I also think it's ludicrously stupid. I'd be fine if it represented just a military disadvantage, but it makes everything you do worse and harder and slower and more boring.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cantorsdust posted:

Viking prows on the river Ganges.

Indian dhows up the Danube. :colbert:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Serious feature request: new messages put on the bottom, rather than the top, of the stack in the high/low priority message tabs. I can't think of any gameplay benefit provided by the current system that outweighs the drawback of the player accidentally closing new messages.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Yeah Indians are the hot new thing, but the first thing I'm gonna do come Tuesday is to reform a zoroastrian Persian empire that doesn't have straight eastern border.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Indian dhows up the Danube. :colbert:

Impossible unless you play an Norse pagan Indian, or you mod the game.

Sheep posted:

Serious feature request: new messages put on the bottom, rather than the top, of the stack in the high/low priority message tabs. I can't think of any gameplay benefit provided by the current system that outweighs the drawback of the player accidentally closing new messages.

This so much. I hate having to pause the game at regular intervals to close the messages, for fear of missing an important one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Vastakaiun posted:

Yeah Indians are the hot new thing, but the first thing I'm gonna do come Tuesday is to reform a zoroastrian Persian empire that doesn't have straight eastern border.

I'm really looking forward to this as well, it's probably going to be my second game after one as a Malayali king/duke/whatever.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

DStecks posted:

You could also switch religion, right?

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

Eimi posted:

Well there's already an Indian tech group and it's even worse than the Muslim tech group! So probably still stuck with that. Really EU4's tech system is...well western biased to a fault but I also think it's ludicrously stupid. I'd be fine if it represented just a military disadvantage, but it makes everything you do worse and harder and slower and more boring.

It bothers me that they ignore the fact that in many ways the non "western" groups were more advanced, just not necessarily in warfare

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Greenllama posted:

It bothers me that they ignore the fact that in many ways the non "western" groups were more advanced, just not necessarily in warfare

That's why I tend to just play CK2. It allows things to be different without being 'worse' or 'better'.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DStecks posted:

The only way I've been able to switch to a Republic was via Tanistry. But it was kind of flaky for a bit, and then suddenly I had 10 Patricians listed in the Republic screen, and I gave up.

I created a Merchant Republic with an extremely good distant cousin, and voted for him. All my vassals liked me pretty well, so they all voted for him too. Once I died I swapped from being a regular King to being a Serene Doge. I wouldn't recommend trying it with Ironman though, because there is a good chance it'll just break entirely.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

First thing I'm doing once RoI is out is starting my Ironman Karen run through again now that the Persian empire will have accurate borders. I wonder how challenging its going to be as Karen now that you have more things to worry about from the east than mongols.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

How much of Central Asia are they adding? Will the mongols now pop up on the border of Xinjiang or something?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

How much of Central Asia are they adding? Will the mongols now pop up on the border of Xinjiang or something?

First 20seconds shows the map quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBbq5VYjdI8

Edit: the mongols will pop up along the border of Tibet apparently.

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 21, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

They've added the Tibetan region but it's just wasteland. They didn't want to add Tibet because then they would've had to add China as well.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Torrannor posted:

I asked in the patch notes thread on the Paradox forums, and the factors that determine tech levels in CK II->EU IV conversions are still high tech levels in CK II + ownership of key provinces (which happen to all be in Europe, but are apparently moddable)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

This one is new:

Another reason not to create Kingdoms once you are an Emperor.

I'm fine with that for foreign kings, but de jure kingdoms of an empire shouldn't get that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm fine with that for foreign kings, but de jure kingdoms of an empire shouldn't get that.

How many historical empires had vassal kings?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Holy Roman Emperor had the King of Bohemia as a vassal.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The King of Bohemia, vassal of the Holy Roman Empire, would probably be the most apt example, and that's historically about as de jure as you can get. Other "kingdoms" acknowledged the HRE as suzerain at various times throughout the middle ages - Barbarossa made Poland swear vassalage and (very briefly) acknowledged a subordinate King of Sardinia, and Richard I formally acknowledged England as a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire later that century. Of course, those were really more ceremonial or tribute relationships than real, permanent vassals in the sense that CK2 means. Bohemia absolutely qualifies, though.

Various Balkan rulers might count for the Byzantine Empire depending on who qualifies as a "king."

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EightDeer posted:

The Holy Roman Emperor had the King of Bohemia as a vassal.

That doesn't count at all and you know it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That doesn't count at all and you know it.

Oh? Why not?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Ottomans had a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vassal_and_tributary_states_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Oh? Why not?

The HRE wasn't a real empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU