Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I've been using iTools to upload media and whatever to my iPhone, because most of the media I have on there was from my girlfriend's laptop but then I also have music on my laptop & I wanted to be able to sync both, now I recently updated my 5s to 7.1 and to do so I had to update iTunes as well, which seems to have broken iTools. I understand if you can get an older version of iTunes it'll still work, but I can't seem to find an unbroken link and I was also just curious if there's any other software similar to the functionality of iTools that'll work with the newest iTunes version. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Also do you have Springtomize? I hear thats a battery drainer. Anything weather related (widgets, lockscreens, live icons) tend to kill battery in my experience.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

nrr posted:

So I just barely got a new 5s and sure, I installed a few tweaks but nothing crazy I don't think. My battery is just disappearing at warp speed. I do have an animated weather tweak on my home screen but that should only drain battery while I'm on the actual screen, right? Is there a tweak or an app I can use to find out what's causing the most trouble?

The animated screen is the most likely culprit. Anything that has to update on a regular basis will be a drain. Turn it off and see if you notice a difference, otherwise post the tweaks you have installed.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
"Hey guys I just jailbroke and installed a bunch of neat tweaks but my battery dies in, like, two hours! HELP!"

The answer is always, always, always weather poo poo. Your phone is probably sending out to check for new mail and updated weather status every minute. Get rid of that animated garbage, turn the update interval to as long as you can reasonably stand it (or better yet, manual update), and then check your mail's fetch settings as well.

or if you must have a dancing sun telling you what it looks like outside the window you're sitting near, buy an external battery pack and get used to charging often.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Eh, I've been jail broken for years, had the same weather app (or one very similar) on my iPhone 4 and never had battery drain like this. I just checked my privacy> location settings and almost everything had it turned on, although only 2 apps (Facebook and weather) had actually used it in the last 24 hours. I disabled a bunch of things just to be safe though. The weather app was only set to half hour updates, so I dialed it back to an hour. Mail fetch settings were off.

No springtomize and no Alkaline. Tweaks I've got aren't anything crazy I don't think:

Eclipse
Winterboard
Zeppelin
Activator
Custom LS (which is deactivated at the moment)
SB Profiles
HTC weather widget using iwidget

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Am I the only one who doesn't have Winterboard?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

ibntumart posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't have Winterboard?

I got tired of Winterboard about 3 months after I jailbroke my 3gs. I couldn't be hosed to keep up with new icons and alla that poo poo. I don't miss it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I don't either. I'm quite happy with the iOS7 look.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Solstice is the only non-intrusive and true to stock theme that I can tolerate anymore.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Meh, ios 7 looks nice in a few ways but bores me in a lot of others. Anyway, did anyone have a battery/resources app they've used that can track which apps/tweaks are using power and how much so I can fix my problem on my own?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

nrr posted:

Meh, ios 7 looks nice in a few ways but bores me in a lot of others. Anyway, did anyone have a battery/resources app they've used that can track which apps/tweaks are using power and how much so I can fix my problem on my own?

I don't know of any besides top. My initial reaction and educated guess would be SBProfiles and the HTC weather widget. Try disabling those for a couple days, reboot, and see how it goes.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
i still wish my old wallpapers from my 4s fit correctly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
If anyone wants the iOS7.1 calendar, Activator creator Ryan Petrich has released Gregorian, a separate calendar app that mimics the 7.1 app. Still worms the same way, just hide the default Calendar and use this one.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

I don't know of any besides top. My initial reaction and educated guess would be SBProfiles and the HTC weather widget. Try disabling those for a couple days, reboot, and see how it goes.

Top? Haven't heard of this and trying to search for it gives me TOP 10/25/50/1 MILLION IPHONE APPS.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

nrr posted:

Top? Haven't heard of this and trying to search for it gives me TOP 10/25/50/1 MILLION IPHONE APPS.

'top' is a unix program that displays the running processes on the kernel and presents a detailed view of the memory, CPU, state, etc. of each. It's command line and probably not what you're looking for. Jailbreak tweaks aren't really able to be monitored as such since most aren't independent applications or processes.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 13, 2014

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

shootforit posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? Never heard of this before.

There's a few easy ways they can identify a device that's being used for tethering with traffic analysis, like checking the user-agent on all the unencrypted http connections originating from it for example. It's probably how they're nailing people for unauthorized tethering. There's talk about tethering apps that do or don't get detected but it's bullshit.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

NOTinuyasha posted:

There's a few easy ways they can identify a device that's being used for tethering with traffic analysis, like checking the user-agent on all the unencrypted http connections originating from it for example. It's probably how they're nailing people for unauthorized tethering. There's talk about tethering apps that do or don't get detected but it's bullshit.

When ATT first started sending out letters en masse there was a lot of discussion on the big phone related forums about how ATT was detecting people tethering. Everyone pretty much concluded that since because at the time all tethering apps were using the separate tethering APNs on the Iphone rather than the same APN that gets used for regular non tethering data transfer that's probably how they were catching people. Also there was user agent and some TTL (time to live) thing.

PDAnet implemented fixes for all 3 of those issues a few weeks later and i've been using it ever since without ever getting a letter. If you search google for people getting letters from ATT for using MyWi or Tether Me you will find all kinds of examples but examples for people getting busted for using PDAnet are pretty rare.

Of course you also don't want to use a poo poo ton of data because I think it flags accounts for closer expection. If I'm planning to tether to my laptop to browse a ton of pages I like to use the Opera browser with compression turned on. Turns 5mb web pages in to 500kb web pages and it looks fine on my old eyes.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

All of my browsing is done with a desktop user agent so I don't have to deal with the lovely awful mobile versions of most websites. :|

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I really hope someone in here can help me out. I have a JB iPhone 5 and out of nowhere all of my music apps(Music, Spotify, Amazon Cloud) all announce the name of the track I'm about to play then make me press play again. If I exit the app or lock the screen the music stops.

Any ideas?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Na'at posted:

I really hope someone in here can help me out. I have a JB iPhone 5 and out of nowhere all of my music apps(Music, Spotify, Amazon Cloud) all announce the name of the track I'm about to play then make me press play again. If I exit the app or lock the screen the music stops.

Any ideas?

Sounds like something inside Accessibility was turned on.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I've been messing around with activator actions and thought I would share what I did.

I set the flashlight to be activated when I press both volume buttons at the same time. Saves me a swipe and icon press. Kinda handy.

Then I set the center headset button to 'next song' on a short hold while playing music. I like listening to my music on shuffle at work, and it saves me from having to take the phone out of my pocket to skip a song I don't want to hear.

Though a weird thing that happens with the last one: when it does skip to the next song, it pauses the song as soon as it starts playing. A single click again plays it like normal.

I did set the activator option to disable all original functions of the middle headset button, but that didn't fix the issue.

Any thoughts?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

spongeworthy posted:

Sounds like something inside Accessibility was turned on.

That's what I thought but I've gone thru all of that. Will using Reset Settings wreck my poo poo like Reset Content and Settings?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

shootforit posted:

I've been messing around with activator actions and thought I would share what I did.

I set the flashlight to be activated when I press both volume buttons at the same time. Saves me a swipe and icon press. Kinda handy.

Then I set the center headset button to 'next song' on a short hold while playing music. I like listening to my music on shuffle at work, and it saves me from having to take the phone out of my pocket to skip a song I don't want to hear.

Though a weird thing that happens with the last one: when it does skip to the next song, it pauses the song as soon as it starts playing. A single click again plays it like normal.

I did set the activator option to disable all original functions of the middle headset button, but that didn't fix the issue.

Any thoughts?

Double-tap centre headset button is normally skip song, so if you can live with that action instead I would use that instead of Activator.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

~Coxy posted:

Double-tap centre headset button is normally skip song, so if you can live with that action instead I would use that instead of Activator.

Double-tap goes forward, triple-tap goes back.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Well slap my rear end and call me Shirley. Double click does do that. I never knew that.
Thanks!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

shootforit posted:

Well slap my rear end and call me Shirley. Double click does do that. I never knew that.
Thanks!

Also, double tap and hold will fast forward, triple tap and hold rewind. Hope that blows your mind.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Woah. Is there any documentation on these I missed? Because this changes everything.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How long does evasi0n take to update for new firmware?

I'm on 7.1 and was looking to jailbreak for first time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh bud, sorry to hear. 7.1 patches what they used to exploit 7.0. If they jailbreak 7.1 it would likely be months, but there's a better chance they don't jailbreak iOS again until 8.

That's all conjecture, you never know with these guys.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

How long does evasi0n take to update for new firmware?

I'm on 7.1 and was looking to jailbreak for first time.

You're out of luck unless you're using an iPhone 4, in which case there is a tethered 7.1 jailbreak working for some people.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Did I miss my chance if I am still on 7.0.6 and haven't jailbroken?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Well that sucks giant ogre penis for sure :(

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

mainks posted:

Did I miss my chance if I am still on 7.0.6 and haven't jailbroken?

No, go right ahead and do it now if you want.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

tinyumbrella deffo hosed up my hosts because I'm trying to get my 4 to update to 7.1 and its not even letting me use the direct download link from apple.com

Can somebody either tell me how to fix my hosts (everything TU put in is gone) or point me to a mirror for the iPhone 4 GSM 7.1 ipsw?

edit: turns out apple's servers were down or something. Working as expected today

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 17, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
My ipad 3 is still on 7.0.4 or whatever came before 0.6. Can I do a full restore+jailbreak if I have the ipsw still? I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish this.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I ended up waiting too long to upgrade from 7.0.4 to 7.0.6. Someone posted earlier an app in Cydia that apparently replicates the security fix without needing to upgrade my iOS version. Does anyone have any information on whether or not it actually works?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My understanding is that SSLPatch works, but not in safe mode or any apps running in root.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

My ipad 3 is still on 7.0.4 or whatever came before 0.6. Can I do a full restore+jailbreak if I have the ipsw still? I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish this.

No, Apple isn't allowing installation of any software older than 7.1 now on your iPad 3. You can simply run evasi0n and jailbreak in your current state.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

spongeworthy posted:

No, Apple isn't allowing installation of any software older than 7.1 now on your iPad 3. You can simply run evasi0n and jailbreak in your current state.

I'm already jailbroken but I'm having some issues with cydia and cydia installed apps' icons disappearing on me. All I can find about that problem is to just wipe and start over. They also suggest to just redo the evasi0n jailbreak but I was asking in case that doesn't work.

Is there really no way to emulate apple servers to install firmware I already have on AND off the device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Zigmidge posted:

I'm already jailbroken but I'm having some issues with cydia and cydia installed apps' icons disappearing on me. All I can find about that problem is to just wipe and start over. They also suggest to just redo the evasi0n jailbreak but I was asking in case that doesn't work.

Is there really no way to emulate apple servers to install firmware I already have on AND off the device?

No. You are stuck on your current iOS version.

• Locked thread