Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Last summer, my dad went to France and brought me back this really nice pot of Dijon mustard. I haven't been using it as a straight-up condiment because it's really intense, but it seems like a shame to just let it sit. I've tried making deviled eggs and onion rings with it as an ingredient, but again, really intense. Any suggestions on how to use it?

And just how long does mustard keep? I've been keeping it in the fridge with the pot lid and cork on, but the cork is a real pain to get out all the time which is the other reason I've been neglecting it. Can I ditch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alopex posted:

Last summer, my dad went to France and brought me back this really nice pot of Dijon mustard. I haven't been using it as a straight-up condiment because it's really intense, but it seems like a shame to just let it sit. I've tried making deviled eggs and onion rings with it as an ingredient, but again, really intense. Any suggestions on how to use it?

And just how long does mustard keep? I've been keeping it in the fridge with the pot lid and cork on, but the cork is a real pain to get out all the time which is the other reason I've been neglecting it. Can I ditch it?

Mustard keeps pretty well, it's just vinegar, mustard seeds (in some form) and water in different proportions.

You could probably move it to some old, clean, plastic squeeze bottle and it would last a long rear end time. Hell, you could spend a dollar on cheap mustard, empty the thing, rinse it well and move the good stuff to that. Just make sure you note that it's in the new package.

When you say that it's intense, do you mean that it's hot/spicy, like horseradish? You might be able to cut it depending on how you want to use it. If you want a dip or a dressing or a sauce, cut it with a little brown sugar or honey to tame it a bit. If you wanted to do something like a mustard crust on beef or chicken, cut it with regular yellow mustard. If it's super hot, maybe go with a 50/50 strong to yellow blend.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

SubG posted:

Too big for what? Unless you've got serious storage problems or you're cooking on a tiny rear end hot plate or something I can think of a shitload of reasons why you might find yourself wanting a bigger pan and very few where you'd actually need a smaller one.

I have a problem with my large cast iron skillet on my gas burner not getting an even enough heat distribution, but that problem only exists on the cast iron. I have an 8" one I've been using more and more when I don't need the extra room for that reason. The 8" stainless pan gets almost no use.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a sealed container of self raising flour that the best before date was back in September. Should still be fine to use right? It looks ok.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Alopex posted:

Don't do anything to "cut" it. You will ruin it. Use it a condiment, just in small quantities.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I tried making chicken stock last night for the first time and it turned really bitter. Any idea why? I put herbs like rosemary, a bay leaf, thyme, and oregano in along with salt and peppercorns. I put in all the onions, carrots, and celery ends i'd been saving for like a month :(. No lemon, and I simmered it for like 5 hours. I was really excited as it looked good, smelled great, until I tasted it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I feel this way too... a friend gave us a 5 inch Lodge cast iron skillet some time ago. I think it's ridiculous and never use it, but the GF thinks it's cute and loves it. Mostly she just dry toasts spices in it, I guess that's a good use for it.

Little cast iron skillets are also good for making individual skillet cornbread (although you need more than one).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Skizzzer posted:

I tried making chicken stock last night for the first time and it turned really bitter. Any idea why? I put herbs like rosemary, a bay leaf, thyme, and oregano in along with salt and peppercorns. I put in all the onions, carrots, and celery ends i'd been saving for like a month :(. No lemon, and I simmered it for like 5 hours. I was really excited as it looked good, smelled great, until I tasted it.

Did the chicken have giblets?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
How much of the herbs did you put in?

I generally put in 1 bay leaf and a tablespoon or two of pre-mixed bouquet garni and around 10 peppercorns in a teaball into stock when I make an 8qt pot. Along with 2-3 chopped carrots, 2 onions, and a couple stalks of celery, and a few pounds of chicken bits, and about a teaspoon of salt (I heard it helps the veg break down or something, but I don't add more so I can season whatever it goes into).

Consistently have good results using stockpot or pressure cooker.

Did you put in any actual celery, onion, carrot? Or just the peels and ends? I've used those too, but along with some of the actual veg as well.

Google also tells me that there is a part of the bird called the 'Parson's Nose' which is the tail and contains an oil gland that can make your stock bitter - but I've never encountered that...

EVG fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 20, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bowmore posted:

I have a sealed container of self raising flour that the best before date was back in September. Should still be fine to use right? It looks ok.
White flours are usually fine as long as they've been stored safely (and so haven't become infested with beetles or something like that). Whole grain flours that contain oil (like whole wheat flour) can get rancid, which your nose will tell you about. Self-rising flour contains baking powder (or the moral equivalent), which can lose its potency over time. It'll go south faster the more humid the environment it's stored in is. In theory you could compensate for the lost oomph in the leavening agent by adding some baking powder, but there's no way to tell how much you need.

In any case, as a general rule it'll be perfectly safe to consume, it'll just be a crap shoot as far as leavening goes. As a general rule it's a good idea to avoid self-rising flour and to use AP or bread flour (depending on the application) and add leavening as needed.

That all being said, it's usually a good idea to rotate your dry goods at least once a year just because you'll get some oxidation over time that'll affect gluten development and flavour. It's not a huge loving deal or anything, but on the other hand tossing a bag of flour you haven't touched in over 6 months isn't exactly a major expense either.

PatMarshall posted:

Little cast iron skillets are also good for making individual skillet cornbread (although you need more than one).
Big cast iron skillets are better for making cornbread than little cast iron skillets, because you end up with more cornbread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Le0 posted:

We have all teflon pans at home and I've been looking for a stainless steel pan for some time now. Apparently in Switzerland we are strongly against stainless steel because the only pans that I find are very expensive, something like 150$.
Are stainless steel pan very expensive in the US as well?

All Clad pans are pretty expensive here. The 12" is north of $100 definitely, maybe even $150, I'm not sure. It's expensive though because it's three layers (steel, alumini, steel) all around for better heat retention and conduction and I'm sure being made in America contributes to the price as well. There are cheaper brands of course (I think Cephalon is All Clad's made in China brand?) but they vary in quality and whether or not it's fully layered vs just the base.

So 150 CHF for a 3-ply stainless steel pan for a country as expensive as yours seems about on par if not "cheaper."

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Did the chicken have giblets?

I don't think so. It was a whole chicken (for frying apparently, it said on the label) that i cut apart for its carcass.

I put 2 bay leaves in, along with about a tablespoon altogether of the herbs. I may have put too many peppercorns in? 20-30?

I read somewhere that you shouldn't boil the chicken stock at all? I think that may have been my problem. When I started it I set the stove to medium heat and left to go see a movie. When I came back the pot was at like a half boil.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skizzzer posted:

I don't think so. It was a whole chicken (for frying apparently, it said on the label) that i cut apart for its carcass.

I put 2 bay leaves in, along with about a tablespoon altogether of the herbs. I may have put too many peppercorns in? 20-30?

I read somewhere that you shouldn't boil the chicken stock at all? I think that may have been my problem. When I started it I set the stove to medium heat and left to go see a movie. When I came back the pot was at like a half boil.
That'd definitely ruin the flavors.

I've never had it above a slow simmer.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Wait, you left a pot boiling on the stove and went out to a movie? Was anyone else home?

I've had my stock get to a boil by inattention but never left it go at a boil for any significant length of time - the only downside was murky looking stock (which I really don't care about). I suppose a lengthy boil could cause an issue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rosemary can make stock bitter, I'm pretty sure.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i had it up and going for about a hour before i left. I had the stove set at 4 (max is 9) but it wasn't simmering when i left, so i upped it to 5-5.5 before i caught the bus. When i came back there was like one big bubble, not really a boil but not really a simmer either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't like leaving the room with a pot on the stove much less leaving the house.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I don't like leaving the room with a pot on the stove much less leaving the house.

I don't feel comfortable leaving my apartment with chicken in the oven to walk my dog, much less bounce out for a movie with a pot boiling away on the stove.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I have a friend who unplugs her toaster oven before she goes to bed. Beat that.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Good basic stirfry sauce recipe, go! Every time I whip something together it sucks.

emotive fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 20, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have a friend who unplugs her toaster oven before she goes to bed. Beat that.

My aunt unplugs EVERYTHING.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/20/12-household-appliances-you-should-unplug-to-save-money/

emotive posted:

Good basic stirfry sauce recipe, go! Every time I whip something together it sucks.

What are you trying, the one on the back of the bottle of soy sauce?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What are you trying, the one on the back of the bottle of soy sauce?

Ha, no. I usually just mix random amounts of soy/rice wine vinegar/sesame oil/garlic but it always ends up bland and lacks substance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

emotive posted:

Ha, no. I usually just mix random amounts of soy/rice wine vinegar/sesame oil/garlic but it always ends up bland and lacks substance.

Try adding rice wine and MSG. My generic stir fry sauce is soy sauce, black vinegar, Shaoxing wine, MSG, cornstarch, sriracha, black pepper, and garlic. I often add lemon or lime juice also. Other common additions are XO sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin, laoganma (angry lady sauce), and/or doubanjiang.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like hoisin in my stir fry sauce.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I generally do light or dark soy dependent on the meat, oyster sauce, rice wine, sambal (chili garlic sauce, looks kinda like sriracha in a cylindrical plastic jar), Chinese 5 spice, and white pepper. I'll also add a bit of cornstarch if I'm looking to make something a bit closer to beef/chicken/pork and broccoli so it ends up with a thicker and clinger sauce.

I also do my veggies and meat separately so I don't overwhelm my wok/burner and can keep it blisteringly hot. I just throw them together when they are both cooked and toss them around a bit, then serve over rice.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

paraquat posted:

Not from America, but I've been hunting for stainless steel pans over here (the Netherlands) as well in the past, and discovered that it was pretty much impossible for less than 100 euro (or something like that).

Now, I gave up on the search and had no room for another pan anyway, but I recently ran into some at Ikea
So, I do not own one, and have no idea how good they are, but in my experience, other cookware from Ikea is pretty good.

Here's an example, maybe the Swiss Ikea sells them as well?

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/90207336/

edit:
oh look, they do http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/90207336/

Thanks for that, I'll definitely check Ikea

Boris Galerkin posted:

All Clad pans are pretty expensive here. The 12" is north of $100 definitely, maybe even $150, I'm not sure. It's expensive though because it's three layers (steel, alumini, steel) all around for better heat retention and conduction and I'm sure being made in America contributes to the price as well. There are cheaper brands of course (I think Cephalon is All Clad's made in China brand?) but they vary in quality and whether or not it's fully layered vs just the base.

So 150 CHF for a 3-ply stainless steel pan for a country as expensive as yours seems about on par if not "cheaper."

Oh okay guess I will check Ikea and otherwise I'll try to find a very nice expensive pan

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a big piece of sirloin I made last night and I'm thinking if chopping it up for a stir fry tonight. Can I / should I marinate the cooked meat before I reheat it in the stir fry? Or should I just put the sauce on top after its reheated through?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have a big piece of sirloin I made last night and I'm thinking if chopping it up for a stir fry tonight. Can I / should I marinate the cooked meat before I reheat it in the stir fry? Or should I just put the sauce on top after its reheated through?

Just add the marinade glaze afterward. Hell, even if you didn't already cook it I'd do that.

Start with your vegetables and stir in the marinade and then add the meat bits.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's something that isn't pasta that goes with shrimp? Something low-carb to go with some lemon/garlic shrimp

edit: scallops? :v:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Bob Morales posted:

What's something that isn't pasta that goes with shrimp? Something low-carb to go with some lemon/garlic shrimp

Vegetable noodles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

Egg and scallion pancake.

Personally I'd go with rice but you mentioned low carb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Breaky posted:

Egg and scallion pancake.

Personally I'd go with rice but you mentioned low carb.

We had kind of a big lunch so we want something light. Maybe I'll just grill up some vegetable/mushroom kebabs

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I'd go with scallops. :D And cauliflower puree.

Or, put the shrimp on skewers and serve with a bowl of pureed vegetable soup.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

emotive posted:

I made a great one last night, not hard: Ginger, garlic, soy, hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, brown sugar, splash of a flavoured vinegar (I used apple cider because it was the first one I grabbed and :effort:) and some water/stock. Simmer with a star anise ~15 minutes, then remove the star anise and mix in some corn starch/water to thicken.

Ayem fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 20, 2014

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bob Morales posted:

I like to fill an avocado with shrimps and add a sauce of mayo, bit of ketchup, white wine, pepper and salt to it.

But yes, as much as I like that, I'd go for the scallops first and foremost :-P

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Have a salad with grilled shrimp.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ayem posted:

I made a great one last night, not hard: Ginger, garlic, soy, hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, brown sugar, splash of a flavoured vinegar (I used apple cider because it was the first one I grabbed and :effort:) and some water/stock. Simmer with a star anise ~15 minutes, then remove the star anise and mix in some corn starch/water to thicken.

Hmm, I'll try that. I never simmer it or anything, I just mix it and dump it into the stir fry and let it cook for a couple minutes. Maybe that's my problem haha.

emotive fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 20, 2014

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I have two 1/2 lb top sirloin filets, a cast iron skillet, and no thermometer. What's my game plan here?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

door Door door posted:

I have two 1/2 lb top sirloin filets, a cast iron skillet, and no thermometer. What's my game plan here?

Pat your steaks dry and season with salt, oil the pan, get it superhot, whack the steaks in, fry for 1m, ignore the amount of smoke, turn the steaks over, 1m that side. Serve. Ignore anyone who says that they need time in the oven to cook through or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Pat your steaks dry and season with salt, oil the pan, get it superhot, whack the steaks in, fry for 1m, ignore the amount of smoke, turn the steaks over, 1m that side. Serve. Ignore anyone who says that they need time in the oven to cook through or anything like that.

The only time a slab of steak should be in an oven is if you're reverse searing it. Or if the oven is off, I guess.