Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, straight shot can shoot through adjacent units. We used to have far more restrictive rules for LoS but they were frustrating and hard to understand. The core problem was that a player would see a shot was blocked but found it hard to see exactly where to move and not be blocked. So, it was trial and error, you'd move a bit, be blocked, move again, etc. We couldn't really solve that, so we just made it less punishing to the players, so straight shot can now shoot through walls and units with a heavy penalty. If you want to see what the Line Of Sight rules *could* have been like, then play Blackguards, which has extremely strict rules in that area.

I don't think we ever added ground indicators to show effective range, it's a good idea too. I'd say "I'll add it now" but we're on total lock down, so I'm not allowed to.

Edit: I tell a lie, there is an indicator. The line of sight preview line changes color when it leaves effective range, so you can see how far out of range a target is by looking at where the line turns yellow.

Doesn't mousing over the attack show its range? It seemed like it was doing that for the enemy units in quill's stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Mousing over the ability icons just says something like "Range: Medium", unless you mean something else?

You can see the effective range indicator here:

The target needs to be under the green part of the line (i.e. 2 hexes closer) to be in effective range. The circles on the ground mark max range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Mousing over the ability icons just says something like "Range: Medium", unless you mean something else?

You can see the effective range indicator here:

The target needs to be under the green part of the line (i.e. 2 hexes closer) to be in effective range. The circles on the ground mark max range.

Oh, I thought that's what the little white circles meant when you moused over the ability.

It's a little hard to make out all the symbols with video compression though so the interface is kind of a mystery to me at the moment.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah the line just isn't really super clear seeing as it's an arc and travels in a direct line to the target so it's hard to judge exactly how many hexes short you are because of that. The dots aren't a consistent indicator either, as you can see in that screenshot (10 green dots but 6 yellows, 10/3 = 3.3~, 6/2 = 3).

I feel like the HP flags could be a bit bigger too but that may be because my vision sucks these days. Do you have an option for traditional lifebars or is it just the flags?

The action point indicators at the top look much better now! Do they change color based on if you are using a multi-attack or single-attack type skill?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the out of range thing could certainly be clearer, I believe it was chosen because we're simply running out of space on the ground to draw new things.

We don't have life bars, the easiest way to see unit health is to look at how many figures are still standing, or to just mouse over it.

The icons used to light up in a different way if you were using a repeating ability vs a single shot ability, but apparently someone's taken that out :confused: I think that was because it was one of those ideas that sounded intuitive, but in practice was just confusing. The main thing the action points bar is supposed to display is how many actions you have left, and having it changing per ability was kind of weird.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gerblyn posted:

We don't have life bars, the easiest way to see unit health is to look at how many figures are still standing, or to just mouse over it.

I thought the little red flags were lifebars?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm still a little sad that you didn't go for the damage reductions when models in a unit dies, but I'll refrain from starting that discussion again. I've pre-ordered the game and I'm really looking forward to the 31st. Any goons interested in starting a multiplayer match on release day? Me and a friend will be doing a game on a medium map and I'm gonna try out an orcish dreadnought, he'll be some kind of pansy rear end priest.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

I thought the little red flags were lifebars?

They are, Gwyrgyn was asking if it was possible to have like traditional life bars instead of the flags.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, the out of range thing could certainly be clearer, I believe it was chosen because we're simply running out of space on the ground to draw new things.

The icons used to light up in a different way if you were using a repeating ability vs a single shot ability, but apparently someone's taken that out :confused: I think that was because it was one of those ideas that sounded intuitive, but in practice was just confusing. The main thing the action points bar is supposed to display is how many actions you have left, and having it changing per ability was kind of weird.

Probably a dashed or dotted circle instead of a solid one for non-effective range would work just fine I think. It'd be nice if you could indicate LoS with that too, but yeah readability and all that.

The little red HP bar on the flag is fine, I just think it needs to be a bit bigger. Then again this is probably because I'm looking at screenshots/vids and it might look just fine in game!

I think the main thing about the action point icons is to make sure it's clear which abilities are multi-attacks and which are not. I'm not sure there's any way to tell that right now? I don't think it's even mentioned in the tooltip for the skill, maybe if you drilled down into the character info panel?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You just mouse over the ability, repeating abilities have something like "Can be used up to 3 times" in the tooltip. It helps that almost all abilities are single use, only melee attack and a few ranged attacks are repeating, so you learn it pretty fast.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You're right, it says "Can trigger up to 3 times." Works for me, though the wording might be a bit less confusing for new players, haha. Sorry if I sound like I'm nitpicking all the time, I work with GUIs for a living so my brain is wired to sperg about them as much as possible. :smith:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It's no problem! It's only a shame that I can't really use the feedback anymore. I can fix crashes, and obviously broken things but that's about it. On the upside, we're mostly fixing minor poo poo now, and it's a relief that the game feels pretty much finished.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 19, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

It's no problem! It's only a shame that I can't really use the feedback anymore. I can fix crashes, and obviously broken things but that's about it. On the upside, we're mostly fixing minor poo poo now, and it's a relief that the game feels pretty much finished.

It must feel amazing to finally finish a game and all there is is to wait for the release date of the game. And pretty nerve wracking too.

Can't wait for the release of this game. It really hits a spot in gaming I've been missing for a while and I converted couple of people to get this game as well

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I wanna see the warlord vid already, that's probably the class I'm most hyped for and the class I know the least about.

Get to it gerblyn go go go.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

I wanna see the warlord vid already, that's probably the class I'm most hyped for and the class I know the least about.

Get to it gerblyn go go go.

I'm interested in how the class buffs the Calvary really.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

I'm interested in how the class buffs the Calvary really.

Calvary is obviously the strongest when you're playing Theocrat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Calvary is obviously the strongest when you're playing Theocrat.

But which races cavalry is the best? I'm leaning orcs becaust wargs but I'm sure that humans also have some strong knight cavalry. I can't wait to experiment with the races and see what works best with what. The goblins look super strong with theocrats because the poison damage on their ranged units really helps with the almost total reliance on spirit damage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

But which races cavalry is the best? I'm leaning orcs becaust wargs but I'm sure that humans also have some strong knight cavalry. I can't wait to experiment with the races and see what works best with what. The goblins look super strong with theocrats because the poison damage on their ranged units really helps with the almost total reliance on spirit damage.

I was just making a dumb Calvary/cavalry joke but I can't wait to dig into the the nitty gritty either.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

I was just making a dumb Calvary/cavalry joke but I can't wait to dig into the the nitty gritty either.

That was a silly typo and I'm glad you pointed that out with a relevant joke. I always gently caress that word up.

Elves should have unicorn riders right? That and Warlord could be devastating

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Best Cavalry is tricky:

Orc Black Knights - High health, high damage, extra damage vs mounted units, best tier 2 cavalry. Vulnerable to nonphysical damage.
Elf Cavalry - Tier 2, unicorns can phase once per battle, so they're good if used intelligently.
Human Knights - Tier 3, best racial cavalry unit stats wise, no use in sieges
Goblin Beetle Rider - Tier 3 racial unit, not as strong as knights, but cheaper, also better in sieges due to wall crushing ability

Also, someone already posted a video somewhere revealing the Warlord class units so there's no real need to keep these secret:

Mounted Archers - T2 warlord class unit, no idea since I've never used them
Manticore Rider - T4 warlord class unit. Best cavalry full stop. High damage, flying death machine. Dwarf variant is toughest, Orc variant does more damage.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 20, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Best Cavalry is tricky:

Orc Black Knights - High health, high damage, extra damage vs mounted units, best tier 2 cavalry. Vulnerable to nonphysical damage.
Elf Cavalry - Tier 2, unicorns can phase once per battle, so they're good if used intelligently.
Goblin Beetle Rider - Tier 3 racial unit, not as strong as knights, but cheaper, also better in sieges due to wall crushing ability

Also, someone already posted a video somewhere revealing the Warlord class units so there's no real need to keep these secret:

Manticore Rider - T4 warlord class unit. Best cavalry full stop. High damage, flying death machine. Dwarf variant is toughest, Orc variant does more damage.

I'm very happy about the potential counters and neat little things. The theocrat spell great purge looks absolutely fantastic at countering heavy use of fantastic creatures, but it's also a lategame spell (I presume) so you can still use them to good effect in the mid game, just don't rely on them too much. There are so many cool spells and units that look like they have potential to completely change a game that already looks like it has a clear winner.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

That T4 unit is terrifying good god. Also mounted archers yesss.

birdsound
Mar 25, 2011
Getting some mighty pre-release jitters. Just flipped trough my old Age of Wonders I strat guide and I was wondering: will there be an online / pdf version of the Tome of Wonders available somewhere? I love to read and theorycraft when I'm not able to actually play

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

One minor thing I didn't see in the preview videos is a explore button. It's always a peev of mine when you can't just tell a dude to automatically run around and maybe collect the loose treasure.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well the problem here is that unlike ruins or relics in most games (civ 5) you usually have to fight something to get treasure, and I don't think anyone wants to lose a scout to dragons, or alternatively be interrupted every four turns with a challenge the scout has to ignore for you to then send a detachment from home base to clear out the mine or temple or whatever. Plus keeping the turn by turn exploration in the player's hands allows you to more directly experience what's being discovered instead of glancing at the minimap every so often.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I never use those things, I'd rather micromanage the explorer so he doesn't spend 10 turns making sure the ocean is still made out of water.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Wasn't there a thing in AOW:SM campaign mode where you could create the most bullshit items in one map, and have said items carry over to the next maps? I've been looking at some LP'ers, and can't remember if I've seen such stuff.
Anyone know if this a is a thing in this iteration?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Daktari posted:

Wasn't there a thing in AOW:SM campaign mode where you could create the most bullshit items in one map, and have said items carry over to the next maps? I've been looking at some LP'ers, and can't remember if I've seen such stuff.

Yeah, that was a thing in Shadow Magic. It's also how I beat the last map pretty handily when my main hero was nigh untouchable and could double-strike counter-attack with a life draining lightning mace.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Daktari posted:

You can still make magic items in game, but the item forge doesn't work in the campaign. I still have a save game somewhere where one of the beta testers managed to make a hero do 350 damage a turn by abusing that mechanic.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

You can still make magic items in game, but the item forge doesn't work in the campaign. I still have a save game somewhere where one of the beta testers managed to make a hero do 350 damage a turn by abusing that mechanic.

I abused the item forge to the point that it felt required as a kid. Glad to see it wont be a thing in the campaign! :haw:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gerblyn posted:

Best Cavalry is tricky:

Which race/class has the basilisk cavalry? :colbert:

It's definitely going to be exciting to discover all the different elemental/class/race synergies in the first couple games. I'm also really pumped for the return to an AoW 1 campaign format. (I think both sides get to make one big decision?)

I am shilling this game to literally everybody I know so that it can potentially get good sales and dlc/expansions.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Arrrthritis posted:

I am shilling this game to literally everybody I know so that it can potentially get good sales and dlc/expansions.

Pretty much this. I'm telling anyone remotely interested in 4x games and/or the fantasy genre that AoW3 is a thing.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, that was a thing in Shadow Magic. It's also how I beat the last map pretty handily when my main hero was nigh untouchable and could double-strike counter-attack with a life draining lightning mace.

You could also research just about everything by the end of map #2, and then just summon armies all over the place in the later maps.
I gave 2 of my heros Drain Will+Dominate, allowing them to convert the toughest anything they came across.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I forget, could you give your heroes possess?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

I hope this game is moddable. Those green/yellow/orange hexes in battle look helpful, but they're also really garish and cover up all the scenery. White/l-grey/d-grey might be better, for instance.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Snow Job posted:

I hope this game is moddable. Those green/yellow/orange hexes in battle look helpful, but they're also really garish and cover up all the scenery. White/l-grey/d-grey might be better, for instance.

I guarantee people like me would have trouble clearly telling them apart unless we're talking about 'grey' and 'nearly black', which is just as blatant and less intuitive than green/yellow/orangey-red. So yeah, mods might help you, but if there's no mods I'd really prefer them the way they are.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

WYA posted:

I forget, could you give your heroes possess?

Not by default, no. I think you can do it via the map editor but Possess is all sorts of bugged and it probably will break horribly.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
If I buy AoW3 on GoG, will I be able to use the key to add it to my steam games list as well, or will I have to add it to my non-steam games list? I just like the auto-patching functionality of steam and the achievements, but I also like the partial compensation from GoG for people paying in Euros.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Pretty sure this game isn't steamworks, so no you won't get a steam key from gog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
All versions of the game are steamworks *except* the GoG version. I assume being steamworks would go against the whole "No DRM" thing they have going? Anyways, afaik we intend to provide GoG with the same updates we provide steam, though I'm not sure myself how those patches will be distributed.

• Locked thread