Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Quick little browser question: anyone here remember exactly what script(s?) it is you need to put into AdBlock to get rid of those drat pre-video ads on YouTube?
But then you'd never see that ridiculous woman saying "I take care of my body, but it's harder to work out my brain!" or the guy looking trying to look really serious when he says "It's serious brain training, it just feels like games." I laugh every time I see those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of Youtube, today I just noticed a weird problem that's happened on a couple videos I've tried to watch in Chrome:

It starts off normal, the bottom bar looks like so:

Then it immediately turns to this and the video hasn't played, but it thinks it has:

I turned off both AdBlock and my NotScripts, but it still does it (though with AdBlcok Plus off it shows me the ad, then goes to a nothing video.),

The comments on these videos aren't full of people posting:

quote:

WTF? Why no vid???!?! BS, man!

so I'm assuming it's just me.

They play fine in IE and FireFox, just not Chrome.

Except that they sometimes do play fine. If I watch the video from the user's "main page" in the smaller video preview window, it will play...it's only if I click that to go to the dedicated page for the video do I get the "not playing" problem.

I've cleared cookies and cache, logged out, logged back in, etc...

V V V I've F5-ed and CTRL+F5-ed like a motherfuck and still no dice. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 20, 2014

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I've had that problem too. Refreshing the page works. Really annoying with playlists though because sometimes you may not be at the keyboard. The next video in a playlist sometimes will not work for whatever reason. I'm not sure if it's just chrome, but it is probably the adblock thing.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Are there any good free programs that can convert .mov files to .mp4 file? I'm just looking to get a few short family video clips on a digital photo frame.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 20, 2014

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Blenheim posted:

Are there any good free programs that can convert .mov files to .mp4 file? I'm just looking to get a few short family video clips on a digital photo frame.

MPEG Streamclip.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

tuyop posted:

It's also highly problematic to judge "intelligence". Is a talented but illiterate dancer intelligent? What about an autistic person who can focus for hours on the tiniest details of a map and notice changes instantly?

If you're talking about a popular, limited concept of "smart" based on inductive reasoning and recall and such, then yeah. Smarter people are usually the ones who have some cognitive ability that helps them hold onto information, make quick connections in novel circumstances, and process things well.

Try the candle problem* and see how long it takes you. Being "smart" would allow you to do that faster because you'd decode, comprehend, and build connections faster to create a solution.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candle_problem

I think tests like this, especially this one, are silly. Because language semantics are in play. If someone says "a box of tacks" one person may interprets that as -just the box-, another as -just the tacks- and another as -the tacks and the box-. The subjects are basically tested on their assumptions of the task instructions more than they are on solving the task.

It's like if a teacher says to the class "You have 1 box of LEGOs each. Try to press the button on the ceiling. GO!"
Is the correct solution to walk out of the room and produce a ladder from the maintenance closet and use that to press the button -- because the teacher never specifically said to actually use the LEGOs?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Works great; thanks very much.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Baldbeard posted:

I think tests like this, especially this one, are silly. Because language semantics are in play. If someone says "a box of tacks" one person may interprets that as -just the box-, another as -just the tacks- and another as -the tacks and the box-. The subjects are basically tested on their assumptions of the task instructions more than they are on solving the task.

The language semantics wouldn't matter as much as you're implying because people were actually presented with the materials. They still matter, and the article specifically notes the effect of language semantics on participant performance. I see no reason to treat the test as bogus, though you'd have to be careful in how you use the results.

quote:

It's like if a teacher says to the class "You have 1 box of LEGOs each. Try to press the button on the ceiling. GO!"
Is the correct solution to walk out of the room and produce a ladder from the maintenance closet and use that to press the button -- because the teacher never specifically said to actually use the LEGOs?
They specify in the candle test that the participants are only allowed to use "a book of matches" and "a box of thumbtacks" along with the candle, presumably as they're being presented with them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

Well yes, but also it's not actually a measure of intelligence at all. It's one of those tests people like to point to and say "lol I used the box I am smart :downs:." It says right there on the Wikipedia page that it was designed to measure "the influence of functional fixedness on a participant's problem solving capabilities."

Functional fixedness is actually a really important evolutionary trait and is an all around Good Thing 99.99% of the time. It's part of what allows us do things like hit a nut with a rock and say "oh my, that popped the nut right open! I should use rocks to hit nuts in the future because they are good Nut Hitters. Rocks = nut hitters" thereby making us a more efficient nut consumer than other animals. And there are a ton of other questions out there along the same lines, for example "how do you put an elephant in a refrigerator?" None of these actually measure intelligence. At most they are a small component in a much larger, more complex measure of intelligence.

When you get right down to it, there is not a great way to measure intelligence because it is exceedingly hard to define. Even psychologists admit that IQ tests are more or less worthless, because a person can have an exceptionally high IQ but still be a social awkward, uncoordinated doofus who sucks at everything but solving abstract problems.

Point being, don't worry too much about how smart you are. We're all smart in our own way.

e: Here's a trick question for you. A certified genius and a guy from a biker gang are stuck on a deserted island. There are only enough coconut trees to support one person. They both know this, and so the biker kills the genius, eats all the coconuts and is eventually rescued.

Who is smarter?

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 20, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Given that description I would have assumed the box was simply a container for the thumbtacks and not one of the tools I was allowed to use for the test.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kedo posted:

Functional fixedness is actually a really important evolutionary trait and is an all around Good Thing 99.99% of the time.
Maybe you should look up what it means first.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe you should look up what it means first.

I know exactly what it means. Some* cognitive biases exist for reasons like the one I mentioned and have benefits in addition to their downsides.

e: * added for clarity

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 20, 2014

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

the posted:

Given that description I would have assumed the box was simply a container for the thumbtacks and not one of the tools I was allowed to use for the test.

I assumed the box was plastic because I've never seen tacks in anything other than a plastic case.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kedo posted:

I know exactly what it means. Some* cognitive biases exist for reasons like the one I mentioned and have benefits in addition to their downsides.

e: * added for clarity
Listen, I get what you mean, but the term functional fixedness seems to be used exclusively for situations where the assumption prevents you from solving problems, ie. negative scenarios. If you had used the more general term cognitive bias in the first place, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

If I'm totally wrong, I urge you to update or amend the Wikipedia page on the subject.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

There's a difference between a helpless idiot who can't solve the problem, and someone who interprets the test instructions/rules in a way that excludes the 'correct' solution. These tests claim to measure someone's functional fixedness, and some go on to completely disregard the subject's understanding of the rules in the first place.

In the real world, you usually have some natural freedom to experiment and use creativity to solve problems. When a researcher sits you down in a room and tells you to solve a logic puzzle, you are functioning under a set of unnatural rules and boundaries that were orated to you by another party. I know mechanics and carpenters who are extraordinarily creative with actual real-world problems like the candle-puzzle and the 2-corde puzzle, but would fail miserably on a "test" because its a test. I think that's why some of the experiments irk me so much.

But to get back to where this all started. These tests are not at all a test for intelligence, and really not even creativity, but rather a specific phenomenon regarding making assumptions based on repetition and traditional ways things work.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Recently from a plane (near our destination), i noticed a strip of white lights flashing in sequence to point towards something.

They were in too small a plot of land to be their own airstrip.

There was only one set, pointing to the edge of the lot, so it wasn't a helipad.

We flew close to them and then turned in the direction they were pointing, as far as i could tell.

Were they there to show a plane where/how to turn to be on the right approach path? Even though they were pretty far (maybe five plane minutes) from the airport?

If so, does every airport have lights like this way far out, hidden in the middle of a residential area?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This would be a lot easier to answer if you said what airport you were arriving at (as navigational aids are clearly listed and easy to find if you know where to look for that information).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Answered

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 19, 2018

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

This would be a lot easier to answer if you said what airport you were arriving at (as navigational aids are clearly listed and easy to find if you know where to look for that information).

Charlotte (CLT)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Listen, I get what you mean, but the term functional fixedness seems to be used exclusively for situations where the assumption prevents you from solving problems, ie. negative scenarios. If you had used the more general term cognitive bias in the first place, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

If I'm totally wrong, I urge you to update or amend the Wikipedia page on the subject.

Nah, you're right. It has a lot in common with heuristics which is where my brain went. This is one of the interesting things about psychology, and one of the reasons why I love it. In one (or many) scenarios having an object that's "functionally fixed" in your mind is a great information processing shortcut (eg. "Oh gently caress a bear is attacking me! I need a hitting implement to defend myself, there's a hammer!"), while there are of course other scenarios where it's not ("Hmm, I need a fire but I have no wood and all I have is a hammer [with a wood handle I'm not noticing because I only see it as 'a thing to hit stuff with']. gently caress, guess I'll just die."). The line where one becomes the other is often blurred, and at the end of the day they're both derived from the same mental processes.

Anyhow, the now off-topic point I was driving at was either way – it's not a measure of intelligence.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 21, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

Are there any toothpastes that are sulfate-free but still have fluoride?

Yeah. Check health food stores. I think I found a Burt's Bees like that once, but maddeningly have not been able to find it again.

(I use sulfate free toothpastes because they seem to reduce the number of canker sores I get)

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Why do I see patterns in the windshields of expensive cars (usually Mercedes and BMWs) while wearing polarized sunglasses? It's almost a Moire pattern.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

terre packet posted:

Why do I see patterns in the windshields of expensive cars (usually Mercedes and BMWs) while wearing polarized sunglasses? It's almost a Moire pattern.

You're seeing the internal stresses of tempered glass, which all cars have in the sides and rear.

Edit: missed the "windshields" part. Could be some kind of coating for some special feature.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Because your seeing a pattern, the windshield itself is also polarized. As to why it's polarized, probably to reduce glare or oncoming headlights or something.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A friend of mine and I were thinking of splitting an adobe creative cloud subscription. He uses a Mac and I use a PC - would that cause an issue?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

A friend of mine and I were thinking of splitting an adobe creative cloud subscription. He uses a Mac and I use a PC - would that cause an issue?

Nope, you should be fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

You're seeing the internal stresses of tempered glass, which all cars have in the sides and rear.

Sidenote: those same residual stresses are why glass changes color over time you smoke out of it; the moderate heat causes the inner walls to warp a bit creating stress between the inner and outer walls. Stressed glass=refraction=pretty colors!

:science:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What reason would a chain of gas stations need anemometers on their roofs?

I see it on lots of quicktrip gas stations. At one today I noticed it looks like its mounted to an ac compressor. I googled anemometer air conditioner or anemometer HVAC but all I'm seeing is little handheld things for techs to use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vin BioEthanol posted:

What reason would a chain of gas stations need anemometers on their roofs?

I see it on lots of quicktrip gas stations. At one today I noticed it looks like its mounted to an ac compressor. I googled anemometer air conditioner or anemometer HVAC but all I'm seeing is little handheld things for techs to use.

Lots of businesses in general will have a mini-weatherstation thing just because. If you looked closer around the place, you'd probably find a thermometer somewhere that ties into the same thing the anemometer is tied into.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Huntersoninski posted:

Just be aware it does only work on two computers at a time, so if one of you loads it up on a third computer it'll kick the other one off.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Install Windows posted:

Lots of businesses in general will have a mini-weatherstation thing just because. If you looked closer around the place, you'd probably find a thermometer somewhere that ties into the same thing the anemometer is tied into.

Why though? What's it going to tell them that the tv or every employees android or iPhone is already telling them a million times more accurate?

Also I think I used term anemometer wrong, this didn't have a turbine to check wind speed just the vane part sense direction.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 22, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Why though? What's it going to tell them that the tv or every employees android or iPhone is already telling them a million times more accurate?

Also I think I used term anemometer wrong, this didn't have a turbine to check wind speed just the vane part sense direction.

When I worked in gas stations as a teenager, you had to note the temperature and pressure when you did "dips", recording how much gasoline was in the underground tanks.

I imagine it's because the volume of the gasoline changes a bit with temperature and pressure, especially when you have like 100 000 litres in there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vin BioEthanol posted:

How is the TV or their phone going to know the weather at that exact spot better than a ministation that's right there? You know those tell you the measured weather at completely different locations right?

If it's just the vane, then all it does is indicate wind direction, and that's basically just up to decoration purposes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
It was electric, not decorative with a rooster and poo poo like someone would put on their house.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vin BioEthanol posted:

It was electric, not decorative with a rooster and poo poo like someone would put on their house.

Maybe an automated volume measuring system then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Would it make sense to learn and use a chorded keyboard or stenotype machine for ordinary typing tasks? Getting like 200 wpm sounds awesome.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

tuyop posted:

Would it make sense to learn and use a chorded keyboard or stenotype machine for ordinary typing tasks? Getting like 200 wpm sounds awesome.

Do you currently know shorthand? If not, I hiiiiighly encourage you to ignore that though. My mother knew it, tried to teach me once, almost killed someone in frustration.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
So I hosed up my controls in the steam game luftrausers? Re-installing the game just leads to the same configuration of nonsense controls, is there a way to reset them via some sort of file editing or? If so, which file?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tuyop posted:

What would you do if you could type 200 WPM?

Unless you're looking for work as a stenographer, there's no real need to be able to type that fast. Even for professional writers, the usual obstacle is coming up with things to write about, then trying to compose their ideas in a way that is both interesting to read, yet comprehensible.

I used to work tech support, and even at around 60 WPM I could type out the general gist of a conversation while having the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

thrakkorzog posted:

What would you do if you could type 200 WPM?

Unless you're looking for work as a stenographer, there's no real need to be able to type that fast. Even for professional writers, the usual obstacle is coming up with things to write about, then trying to compose their ideas in a way that is both interesting to read, yet comprehensible.

I used to work tech support, and even at around 60 WPM I could type out the general gist of a conversation while having the conversation.

I type about 100 wpm now and there are times where I find myself losing a thought just before I can get it typed out. It really doesn't happen that often though. You're right though, for a 5000-word essay it's about two hours of draft writing and 10-15 hours of editing. Typing twice as fast won't really cut down either of those times. :(