Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

http://www.fgcnn.com/2014/03/sticks-without-borders-to-help.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

quote:

"I thought about how selfish and immature destroying my stick was, even though it made me lose." Mr. Kelly leaned into the FGCNN correspondent's voice recorder and added, "Rico only won because my stick screwed up my inputs; I'm better than he is. I'm the best. He can't beat me in a long set. I just had a lot on my mind."

There's absolutely no hint of irony or self-awareness in here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Saoshyant posted:

That's exactly what is so great about Saltford.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
That's literally unbelievable.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Saoshyant posted:

Sanford Kelly didn't actually say these things. The article is a pretty bad parody.

...unless you were saying that the parody lacks irony or self-awareness, in which case, sure, I'll back you up on that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Nah this is more unbelievable

e: Look at the bottom right of the bracket

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 21, 2014

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Biz68USIUAEUPBg.jpg:large

That's hosed up.

Edit: For the record, I'm not just talking about the fact that the brackets were changed for Neo's and FChamp's benefit, but the combination of that and the whole having FullSchedule cut the wires of his buttons because RULES ARE SO IMPORTANT GUYS.

Edit 2: vvvvvvv okay, now I'm wondering what's up.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 21, 2014

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I think UltraDavid puts it best:

e:
Abraham Sotelo ‏@GoldenBoyNeo
@ultradavid did not know the situation and after communicating with him over the phone, he has offered to retract his tweet. Too late david

Oh. Wonder what that's about.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Parallax Scroll posted:

BasedMonster version with the chat's reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWlAaH6DCc

Quick Paint.net job. If someone could do the one from the game where he slides on screen I would love you forever.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

AnonSpore posted:

I don't get it?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

LogicNinja posted:

I don't get it?

Neo and Filipino Champ were supposed to play each other in the first round of winner's bracket top 64. Then a little squiggly line was drawn and suddenly they were up against Potato Salad and Wandles.

Note that bracketing and seeding are supposed to prevent two people from the same close region from having to fight each other relatively early, but because Neo and FChamp were late registrations, they were just sorta shoved into brackets and thrown in there (this is common; NCR had the same poo poo when I was a bracket runner there, a bunch of "top" players waltzing in the morning of and turning random brackets full of byes into pools of death - SCR, even with its player caps, had people who didn't show up and were replaced by late registrants). So Neo and FChamp arranged for a swap with Potato Salad and Wandles, who are also training partners.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 21, 2014

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Brett824 posted:

I think UltraDavid puts it best:

e:
@ultradavid did not know the situation and after communicating with him over the phone, he has offered to retract his tweet. Too late david

I wanna see Neo vs. Ultradavid in a legal practice money match.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Brett824 posted:

So Neo gets to go "ho ho so that's it it was my bad bro" after whining to anyone who would listen about being ~beaten by a macro~, but when UltraDavid says something wrong it's too late david

e: So apparently the other two dudes were also good friends who wanted to get experience fighting top players instead of just playing against each other like they do all the time. For some reason the TOs decided that that was a totally cool reason to change the brackets mid tournament. According to ChrisG this happens "all the time" so yeah, whatever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Behind the scenes shadiness in the FGC? You don't say?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

AnonSpore posted:

So Neo gets to go "ho ho so that's it it was my bad bro" after whining to anyone who would listen about being ~beaten by a macro~, but when UltraDavid says something wrong it's too late david

e: So apparently the other two dudes were also good friends who wanted to get experience fighting top players instead of just playing against each other like they do all the time. For some reason the TOs decided that that was a totally cool reason to change the brackets mid tournament. According to ChrisG this happens "all the time" so yeah, whatever.

I know from personal experience that brackets have been rearranged in the event of double jeopardy in early pools matches (:smith:). Can't remember if it was at NCR or EVO but it definitely happens.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I mean this really does happen multiple times at every tournament, it's just a "thing" now because FChamp/Neo calling out fullschedule. It's one of the shittier aspects of the community tbh.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"Too late David" Neo finishes the tweet with a smirk. Finally, he got the chance to show him up. Finally, he alone remained on top. His phone falls to the floor, the tweet sent evermore.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm so shocked that the top players are still the worst and keep bringing this community down.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

House of Crack open to the public Marvel session. Looks like a packed house.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

House of Crack open to the public Marvel session. Looks like a packed house.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

I hope I don't miss anything hype (I probably will.) Sometimes I wish I was west coast so that all these streams would be earlier in the day for me, when I am less busy.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
If nothing else, this stream proves that the internet at Next Level is rear end.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ToiletDuckie posted:

If nothing else, this stream proves that the internet at Next Level is rear end.

The House of Crack is in the Bronx right? No Time Warner cable there. Optimum is actually halfway decent, and some parts have Fios.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, it's in the Bronx.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Disney jokes started out funny but they drove them right into the ground in a very short period of time.

Good thing the matches are good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
^ Dear god that is great

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
ChrisG just bopped someone in winners semis at The Runback using Hsien-Ko, Chun Li, and X-23

3-0 :drat:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm so shocked that the top players are still the worst and keep bringing this community down.

At this point I kinda blame the TOs for bending to top player whims so often, I've seen this stuff happen at every east coast major I've gone to in the last year and it's kind of annoying. I'm looking forward to how Keits is going to handle this sort of stuff at UFGT since he's been pretty vocal about a lot of the bullshit from last weekend.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

At this point I kinda blame the TOs for bending to top player whims so often, I've seen this stuff happen at every east coast major I've gone to in the last year and it's kind of annoying. I'm looking forward to how Keits is going to handle this sort of stuff at UFGT since he's been pretty vocal about a lot of the bullshit from last weekend.

If I recall right Keits' stance is "no exceptions for anyone" and that's it. Seems pretty simple. Then again, who knows if his TOs will keep his rules.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Dj Meow Mix posted:

A lot of the time, it's a ground-level decision made by a volunteer bracket-runner who feels put on the spot. The responsibility for this does ultimately go to the TO for poor oversight/instruction, but this kind of poo poo goes on a lot at the pool level (especially in the case of the double jeopardy situation) enough that some lower-level volunteers think that this kind of arrangement is normal.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

If I recall right Keits' stance is "no exceptions for anyone" and that's it. Seems pretty simple. Then again, who knows if his TOs will keep his rules.

And "top" players directed a ton of vitriol at Keits for not giving them special treatment last year, to the point that he's decided the next UFGT will be the last one.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

vibratingsheep posted:

A lot of the time, it's a ground-level decision made by a volunteer bracket-runner who feels put on the spot. The responsibility for this does ultimately go to the TO for poor oversight/instruction, but this kind of poo poo goes on a lot at the pool level (especially in the case of the double jeopardy situation) enough that some lower-level volunteers think that this kind of arrangement is normal.

At Final Round this year we had similar things happen in orders from the top with Blazblue. I didn't run anything else so I can't say for sure with Capcom stuff. I will say that if we could have moved folks around we could have prevented two guys who live with one another from having to play, resulting in one just giving up and dropping out of the bracket. Last minute brackets getting fused really made a lot of folks mad.

Volunteering can be a bit of a mixed bag, even though it's still fun to see pool hype first hand/get registration.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Dj Meow Mix posted:

At Final Round this year we had similar things happen in orders from the top with Blazblue. I didn't run anything else so I can't say for sure with Capcom stuff. I will say that if we could have moved folks around we could have prevented two guys who live with one another from having to play, resulting in one just giving up and dropping out of the bracket. Last minute brackets getting fused really made a lot of folks mad.

Volunteering can be a bit of a mixed bag, even though it's still fun to see pool hype first hand/get registration.

Yeah, ultimately the solution is to disallow late registration so that there can be publically posted brackets and people do any of their protesting/pool-shuffling well in advance, with approval from TO/bracket organizer.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

In case anyone wants to see Full Schedule play some more, he just went live with a house stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/fullschedule

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Next Level's floor after the Sanford salt incident.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Awww ok that sucks. :(

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Doctors agree that this much salt is bad for your health.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Parallax Scroll posted:

All this needs is some police tape and a chalk outline for the stick that was murdered.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Wow, I didn't realize he threw the stick THAT hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Ryuga Death posted:

Wow, I didn't realize he threw the stick THAT hard.

It's kind of impressive, honestly.