Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

omgomgomg posted:

Did Lawler ever mention that he was Grand Master Sexy's father? Or billy gunn mention dolph ziggler?

One of these is not like the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Sometimes even two great workers stink up the ring, and ones you thought sucked just happened to click with a particular opponent. What two wrestlers have ended up having great ring chemistry that you didn't expect, or that you expected to have great chemistry but didn't?

For example, ADR/Ziggler is usually a really good match, while ADR/most other people is usually boring. Sheamus isn't so great with Orton, but he's been working really well with Christian. Probably the best example is that CM Punk has WAY better ring chemistry with Cena than most of Cena's competitors over the past several years, even great ones.

I've also been surprised that Erick Rowan of all people somehow works really well with Rey Mysterio, despite looking clumsy with nearly everyone else.

I think Jericho/Punk is a standout example of expecting amazing ring chemistry, and being a disappointment overall. None of their matches were bad, but something just didn't seen to click between them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

One of these is not like the other.

i'ts a joek

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Memento posted:

They pulled off so much cool poo poo after RAW went off the air back in the day. I'd take watching this segment live over any number of "send the fans home happy" babyface win dark match.

There's going to be a DVD next month full of exactly that, including a whole disc devoted to Stone Cold's stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Lawler being Sexay's father was part of the Cole/Lawler feud.

Watching a fat bleach-blonde Brian Lawler come down the ramp to his old music and doing the entire Grandmaster Sexay routine to no crowd reaction was hilarious/pathetic.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there any reason why the Ax Kick seems to be the Universal Black Person Finisher in WWE? Booker T, R-Truth, Alicia Fox... even Ahmed Johnson did it, though not as a finisher.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bradzilla posted:

I think Jericho/Punk is a standout example of expecting amazing ring chemistry, and being a disappointment overall. None of their matches were bad, but something just didn't seen to click between them.

Yeah totally. I remember being so hyped for Jericho vs Punk. Even outside the ring, you'd figure two of the best promo guys of our generation would have some memorable stuff, but I can't really remember much of anything of their feud.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The most memorable part of the Jericho/Punk feud for me was Jericho slipping and falling on his rear end outside the ring on the beer he poured on Punk.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

oldpainless posted:

The most memorable part of the Jericho/Punk feud for me was Jericho slipping and falling on his rear end outside the ring on the beer he poured on Punk.

I really liked when Jericho went to smash Punk in the head with a whiskey bottle and it shattered in his hand before making contact with Punk's head.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Yeah totally. I remember being so hyped for Jericho vs Punk. Even outside the ring, you'd figure two of the best promo guys of our generation would have some memorable stuff, but I can't really remember much of anything of their feud.

Because it was a rehash of like three different Raven feuds, including one with CM Punk.

They tried way too hard to make it personal and I never really bought that Punk cared about anything Jericho was saying.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Minidust posted:

Is there any reason why the Ax Kick seems to be the Universal Black Person Finisher in WWE? Booker T, R-Truth, Alicia Fox... even Ahmed Johnson did it, though not as a finisher.

They just want to axe you a question.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan posted:

Because it was a rehash of like three different Raven feuds, including one with CM Punk.

They tried way too hard to make it personal and I never really bought that Punk cared about anything Jericho was saying.

Yeah, Jericho saying Punk was a drunk and he'd prove it just came off as silly to me. I wasn't going to believe Punk was a secret drunk, and I didn't believe Jericho ever got in Punk's head. Probably more the fault of Punk's acting but the match didn't click either so I don't know.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One combination that never really clicked was Shawn Michaels and Curt Hennig. The hype for their match at SummerSlam 93 was "This will be the match of the year" and it was just ok.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Batista posted:

Yeah, Jericho saying Punk was a drunk and he'd prove it just came off as silly to me. I wasn't going to believe Punk was a secret drunk, and I didn't believe Jericho ever got in Punk's head. Probably more the fault of Punk's acting but the match didn't click either so I don't know.

There was also that terrible "You're a bastard! :haw:" promo that Jericho did. Ugh.

Jericho and Edge also had a surprisingly mediocre WrestleMania match at ... 26, I want to say.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hennig's back was destroyed by then, I think. He had already retired once for it

Also Jericho has a knack for underwhelming expectations. He's one of my favorites, but he's really not as good as his reputation suggests.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Punk pretending to fail the sobriety test was the high point of the entire Jericho/Punk feud.

And yeah, Jericho/Edge at WM26 was a pretty big disappointment.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Most of the Austin/Undertaker matches are kind of disappointing, probably because of a combination of their styles not meshing well and both of them being pretty banged up in 1998-99.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TL posted:

One combination that never really clicked was Shawn Michaels and Curt Hennig. The hype for their match at SummerSlam 93 was "This will be the match of the year" and it was just ok.

They actually had a decent match in 1991 or so when Shawn was still a Rocker. I think the face/heel dynamic was off for the 1993 feud.

I saw a Punk/Jericho match at a house show in 2009 or so. Both were heels on tv, but Jericho worked face as this show was in Canada. This was way better than any other matches they had on TV in the subsequent years.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

with jericho/punk they made the mistake of giving two guys who have the mic skills to just go out there and play off each-other and build a feud with little help from the writers, a very specific storyline that not only constricted them but came off as over-dramatic and phony.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Minidust posted:

I was gonna mention Bull Buchanan, but then I remembered the B² thing..

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Minidust posted:

Well you see, white people kick like this, where black people kick like this

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

oatgan posted:

Probably because, by Punk's own admission, he doesn't give much of a poo poo about his parents.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite part of the Jericho/Punk feud was the adorable "subtle" head scratch Jericho gave Punk after he beat him at WM. Like he was saying "You're alright, kid".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Also Jericho has a knack for underwhelming expectations. He's one of my favorites, but he's really not as good as his reputation suggests.

I'll defend to the death that Jericho's rep is well earned for everything he did through the 90s and early 2000s. But then about a decade ago he decided he was a rock star, kept coming and going from wrestling, and I think he's been underwhelming ever since. I think he just lost his investment in the business and it shines through.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Along with every crusierweight that wasn't a jobber. Completely clean each time too, even as a heel.
Ahh, remember back in the old days where being a heel didn't mean you sucked as a wrestler so you could actually win matches clean, especially if they were with people lower on the ladder than you?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Hennig's back was destroyed by then, I think. He had already retired once for it

From 99-2005 and in 2008 he was one of the best in North America, maybe never top 3, but very close until 2008 when he was pretty much the best in WWE and really only behind Bryan and Nigel in North America. People overrate him in the ring in the 90s a bit, and when he came back a few years ago he wasn't at that level anymore, but he's in his 40s. He's merely really good instead of great. He kind of lost direction with his promos and character after that 2008 run, but he was fun as a babyface last year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sticklefifer posted:

I've also been surprised that Erick Rowan of all people somehow works really well with Rey Mysterio, despite looking clumsy with nearly everyone else.

Edge: Some nights I worked with Rey Mysterio, so you know... I basically had the night off.

Rey Mysterio is really, really, really, really, really good at wrestling :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Edge: Some nights I worked with Rey Mysterio, so you know... I basically had the night off.

Rey Mysterio is really, really, really, really, really good at wrestling :)

Edge is a big dude, but in WWE he never got to really look like a big bully so it had to be fun for him to wrestle Rey and basically be a giant. I remember HBK looking thrilled in the ring when he got to be the big man for a change against Rey.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Edge is a big dude, but in WWE he never got to really look like a big bully so it had to be fun for him to wrestle Rey and basically be a giant. I remember HBK looking thrilled in the ring when he got to be the big man for a change against Rey.

There's also the fact that, regardless of size difference, you know Rey will do everything he can to make you look like a million bucks. I've NEVER heard of Rey sandbagging somebody (not that he could) or half-assing it (which he'd be totally justified in doing), and I don't expect I ever will.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, Shawn even got to do the 'big guy shoves pipsqueak across the ring from a lock-up' spot, right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Was Sandman's gimmick just Heyman telling him to be himself?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think it was Tod Gordon, but yeah.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was Sandman's gimmick just Heyman telling him to be himself?

his inital gimmick was a surf bum. after he hit the world title picture and was screwed out of it he became the sandman we know

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AkumaHokoru posted:

his inital gimmick was a surf bum. after he hit the world title picture and was screwed out of it he became the sandman we know

You are forgetting his period as a pimp.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Or when he was a robot that drank beer and burped fire.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

You are forgetting his period as a pimp.

right he pimped out woman then she became his manager

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
What skills are required to be a good jobber? The kind of guy who can make anyone look like a monster while they beat on them?

To follow that up, who would be considered some of the best Jobbers? Are there any that really stand out and are there videos of them doing it?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Stallion Cabana posted:

What skills are required to be a good jobber? The kind of guy who can make anyone look like a monster while they beat on them?

Selling

As far as best jobbers, Brad Armstrong springs to mind.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

I don't know that he'd be in the conversation for best jobber ever, but Heath Slater is a tremendous jobber.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Good jobbers tend to be adequate-to-good, save workers who can sell and bump like crazy when needed.

Heath Slater is a very good jobber, as exhibited by one of a hundred gifs and his series of matches vs. old wrestlers in the build up to RAW 1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dolph Ziggler is the greatest jobber or in this case I would prefer "enhancement talent" of this generation. Makes everyone look like a billion bucks.