Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kimahri's actually not that bad. From an optimization viewpoint he's worse, because his Overdrive runs off Magic but he's really best off taking down a physical path to make use of his high physical starting stats and Lancet. Going down Lulu's path is horrible, since he'll gain new Black Magic much slower.

Rikku's and Wakka's routes are the best for him. Rikku's can be done before she joins proper, allowing him to progress faster than her, and can even get into Yuna's route further ahead than she is once you hit Spherimorph. Wakka is also nice - Kimahri makes better use of Wakka's abilities since he can recharge his MP through Lancet, and Wakka's route has a good balance of Strenth and Magic. Tidus' is also good since there are a lot of nice skills that eat away at Tidus' MP pool while Kimahri can just recover it, and Quick Hit is brilliant for anybody.

I think going down Lulu's path offers a nice opportunity: you have to decide between I think Flare or Doublecast at one point, both requiring rather lengthy routes to get to. I had Kimahri trail behind Lulu, then she went off to Doublecast and he to Flare. After both had aquired that, I switched their positions by one teleport-to-party-member and one teleport-to-unlocked-node sphere. Presto, two casters with double Flare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Argh. Yeah, I'm gonna need a list of missables/near missables in the game again. The only completely missable thing I remember there being is in Anima's temple? Might be a sphere required to unlock Anima. I'm not sure, it's been years.

Not counting fussy equipment-related things like getting no-encounters on a weapon instead of the usual armor...

- Get Besaid destruction sphere treasure on first visit
- Unlock Valefor's second overdrive before Macalania Temple events (most convenient is, of course, right at the beginning)
- After unlocking Jecht Spheres, backtrack all the loving way to Besaid for the one in the village, before proceeding to the Macalania Temple events (you can skip this if you don't care much about Auron's overdrives)
- Get Macalania destruction sphere treasure on first visit
- Get the three Al Bhed Primers in Home (these are dangerously missable, since you frequently can't backtrack a screen)
- Get the Al Bhed Primer in Bevelle
- Talk to Wantz on Gagazet (so he'll sell unslotted armor in endgame)
- Get the Sun Crest on first visit, before leaving and getting airship

You do not need to worry about the Bevelle destruction sphere treasure. You're guaranteed to get that: it's the treasure chest in your way as you leave. (There's an optional second treasure chest in there, which is a pretty decent weapon for Kimahri, but it's not related.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had forgotten how easy it is to miss the Destruction Sphere treasures. Already missed the Besaid and Kilika ones.

But I'm not planning on fighting any optional bosses or anything, just plain old beating the game so I can get on to X-2.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Yoshi-P gave a talk at GDC about the development of the ff 14 revamp.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/19/focus-graphics-killed-final-fantasy-xiv-heres-square-enix-revived/

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Running an MMORPG is like running a country.

love you Yoshi-P.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And if they don't like you, they move to Canada.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Did anyone else preorder FFX|FFX-2 from Newegg and not get the limited edition?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I never used him in the original, why exactly is Kimhari so bad anyway? Is Blue Magic just not good in X or are his problems deeper than that?
Kimhari is bad because he doesn't always fill the space he's portrayed as having. Unless you're using the Expert Grid, until later on in the game, Lulu can always cast powerful Black Magic, Yuna will always have some good White Magic, Tidus will always be quick and fairly tough, Auron will always be a murder machine with debuffs, Rikku will always be a quick thief, and Wakka will always be Tidus except with status spells instead of Time Magic.

Kimhari, on the other hand, can kind of be any of those if you save up his sphere levels until you get enough Lv1 keys to get out of his lovely circle in the middle of the map, but his actual advertised role in the party is Blue Mage, dude who can drop monster spells any time. Except he can't, because it's his limit break, so he only actually gets to fill his Super Unique Role about as often as Auron gets to use No Mercy.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Burger McAngus posted:

Did anyone else preorder FFX|FFX-2 from Newegg and not get the limited edition?

I preordered it from there and still haven't received it :ughh:

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

mcswizzle posted:

What would be a good guide to follow for a X playthrough probably using the original grid going for best possible case.

from the last page, anyone have a recommendation?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Brasseye posted:

The beforeiplay wiki thing for FFX says to avoid Yuna because summons are useless. I'm going to use her anyway because summons are really fun but I could have sworn I remember some of them being really powerful.

Summons are completely overpowered. Charge up Yuna's/monters of choice overdrive and almost all boss fights are over before they begin. Also, if you have enough agility, Shiva's free delay ability means most normal mobs (and a few bosses I currently can't remember) literally cannot ever hit you.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 20, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

mcswizzle posted:

from the last page, anyone have a recommendation?

Do you mean a grid min-maxing guide? Dunno about that but the official ones for the game are pretty good for most things.

E: phone quote

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The White Dragon posted:

Kimhari is bad because he doesn't always fill the space he's portrayed as having. Unless you're using the Expert Grid, until later on in the game, Lulu can always cast powerful Black Magic, Yuna will always have some good White Magic, Tidus will always be quick and fairly tough, Auron will always be a murder machine with debuffs, Rikku will always be a quick thief, and Wakka will always be Tidus except with status spells instead of Time Magic.

Kimhari, on the other hand, can kind of be any of those if you save up his sphere levels until you get enough Lv1 keys to get out of his lovely circle in the middle of the map, but his actual advertised role in the party is Blue Mage, dude who can drop monster spells any time. Except he can't, because it's his limit break, so he only actually gets to fill his Super Unique Role about as often as Auron gets to use No Mercy.

Maybe Kimahri's real role is a Mime? :confused:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Krad posted:

Maybe Kimahri's real role is a Mime? :confused:

Nah, Mimes take less effort to be useful. Kimahri's just a Blue Mage with the worst version of Blue Magic in the series.
All this talk about the Expert Sphere Grid makes me wonder, can you use Steal with other characters besides Rikku and one shot Machina type enemies with it, or is it a side effect exclusive to her?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Nah, Mimes take less effort to be useful. Kimahri's just a Blue Mage with the worst version of Blue Magic in the series.
All this talk about the Expert Sphere Grid makes me wonder, can you use Steal with other characters besides Rikku and one shot Machina type enemies with it, or is it a side effect exclusive to her?
Steal one shots Machina trash mobs no matter who uses it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just checked the EU PSN on my Vita and the FFX/X-2 remaster bundle is there! Downloading it now! :dance: :dance:

It was pretty hard to find, it wasn't listed under Vita games or in the Latest section. I had to use the general search function.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ugh, Blitzball is every bit as annoying as I remember.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
No sane man would blitz until he can recruit Brother.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or steal that one bullshit team's goalie.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Did they fix the AI so it didn't reset to default if you sat in your team's goal?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I love X's blitzball and hate X-2's. Wish someone would make a romhack so that you could put the former into the latter as long as you had both games.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Did they fix the AI so it didn't reset to default if you sat in your team's goal?

Nope. That's still the best tactic after you score once.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

The White Dragon posted:

No sane man would blitz until he can recruit Brother.

Worth playing right after the forced story game to get attack reels early, both for the damage and so you can practice the timing for the monster arena and dark aeons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's true, mastering the timing on those reels is nice if you're going after Luck Spheres because that snail fuckin' sucks to fight. On the other hand, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment when you take on Omega (and Penance? I dunno, does he have the same "max damage counterattack vs Overdrives" or what?).

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Can't you break FFX really easily with Tidus' Quick Hit plus Wakka's multi-hit attacks? The last Penance video I watched was like half an hour of Wakka beating the gently caress out of it with gatling-balls

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah Quick Hit + Tidus/Wakka/Rikku/Yuna overdrives are the only commands you'll be using against the endgame bosses (unless you're rocking some solo character or NSG challenges). You at least need to stall and Use the occasional item to optimallly grind some of the Monster Arena bosses to get to endgame power though.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
By break, you really mean, basically the only way to do it. God help you if you try to fight Earth Eater or the watery Sphere man without Attack Reels as it'll take an eternity. Quick Hit was nerfed for the International Version: it now costs three times as much MP, and is a "Rank 3" ability rather than "Rank 2". For example, using an item is a "Rank 1" ability, and regular attack is "Rank 4."

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
I think Greater Sphere is one of the Arena bosses you just grand summon Anima on, I might remember wrong though?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

There sure is a lot of dangerous hosed-up poo poo hanging around the nooks and crannies of Spira. Can't go ten feet without tripping over some banished god-spirit or ultra-fiend.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
True, Grand Summoning Anima works well in the International Version since its 12-hits now, but in the original NA version, it only hit once, so it was basically useless for post-game stuff. I seem to recall that if you have shortened Aeon animations on, Anima actually only hits once, since you skip most of the attack. I'm not sure if that's true, but such a tremendous oversight wouldn't surprise me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Systematic System posted:

True, Grand Summoning Anima works well in the International Version since its 12-hits now, but in the original NA version, it only hit once, so it was basically useless for post-game stuff. I seem to recall that if you have shortened Aeon animations on, Anima actually only hits once, since you skip most of the attack. I'm not sure if that's true, but such a tremendous oversight wouldn't surprise me.

How DARE you skip an overly long animation? That's like wanting the ability to skip story scenes!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I loaded up X/2 HD for the first time just now and accidentally clicked the 30 minute audio drama thing.

I can't skip it. I can pause it. But there is no way to go back to the menu if I want to select something else. I have to exit the game, go back to the XMB, and start the game over every time.

Didn't Square spend 5 years working on this or something? Like sure HD textures are nice, more story stuff is nice, but no option to skip cutscenes? No option to go to the main menu?

Jeeze this is too funny.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

You can soft reset and get back to the main title, that's what I did when I wanted to get out of FFX and see what the audio drama was all about.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Skeezy posted:

So I loaded up X/2 HD for the first time just now and accidentally clicked the 30 minute audio drama thing.

I can't skip it. I can pause it. But there is no way to go back to the menu if I want to select something else. I have to exit the game, go back to the XMB, and start the game over every time.

Didn't Square spend 5 years working on this or something? Like sure HD textures are nice, more story stuff is nice, but no option to skip cutscenes? No option to go to the main menu?

Jeeze this is too funny.

Square had nothing to do with it. They gave the project over to Virtuos Games, who recently helped make Last of Us. So those devs probably didn't even think of something like cutscene skip.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Systematic System posted:

Defiance Industries posted:

How DARE you skip an overly long animation? That's like wanting the ability to skip story scenes!
Short animations don't change any of the attack mechanics; Oblivion still does full damage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xenogenesis posted:

Short animations don't change any of the attack mechanics; Oblivion still does full damage.

That is a refreshingly decent move by a company whose previous game introduced shortened summon animations and then had you do reduced damage and then had you do reduced damage as a penance for them existing.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Wait, they didn't include a skip cutscene option? No. NO. I'm ready loving raging at Seymour 3 in anticipation and I haven't even gotten this game yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait, they didn't include a skip cutscene option? No. NO. I'm ready loving raging at Seymour 3 in anticipation and I haven't even gotten this game yet.

The thread title really needs to be changed to "FFX doesn't have a skip cutscene option".

Just do what I always do in this circumstance, keep a book handy or pick up your phone and play something simple. Just because you can't skip cutscenes doesn't mean you have to watch them. Since battles aren't ATB you don't even have to worry about getting back to the game in time if you leave the room or whatever.

Unskippable voiced cutscenes are nowhere near as annoying as unskippable scenes in 7-9 where you have to keep pressing X to advance mountains of dialogue. :shrug:

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I have the original 100% prima strategy guide for FFX-2. What are the changes?

Just wondering if there will be any significant changes to get to 100% this time around, seeing as I have the original guide and all and don't want to miss anything.

Last time I missed 100% on the first run through by just one scene D=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I have the original 100% prima strategy guide for FFX-2. What are the changes?

I think the actual 100% criteria will be the same, but it's the international version this time around which was only released in Japan originally, so you probably won't have any info on the Last Mission in that guide.