Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ecbert has plans for him. I don't know if that is necessarily an improvement on his fortunes.

EDIT:

Sash! posted:

I'm not a doctor of lifeology but I'm pretty sure he'd have died by now

Crucifiction was a slow, agonizing method of execution that usually took hours or even days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hell yeah Bjorn and Lagartha to the rescue

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Ive got a bad feeling that Floki is going to die for real fighting jarl borg.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Crucifiction was a slow, agonizing method of execution that usually took hours or even days

seemed like an awful lot of his blood was already on the outside of him!

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
drat this show owns

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sash! posted:

I'm not a doctor of lifeology but I'm pretty sure he'd have died by now

Crucified people lingered for days, which is why they went to spear him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Now come meet your brothers!

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
That seemed a bit...sacrilegious.

Also god drat there are a bunch of tall people on this show.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Ive got a bad feeling that Floki is going to die for real fighting jarl borg.

They're setting up something to happen between Floki and Athelstan. All of the dirty looks Floki shoots Athelstan make me feel it in my bones.

Also, for a while, I was wondering if Ecbert was going to try to turn Athelstan, but after being crucified I doubt Athelstan has any warm feelings for these guys.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

They're setting up something to happen between Floki and Athelstan. All of the dirty looks Floki shoots Athelstan make me feel it in my bones.

Also, for a while, I was wondering if Ecbert was going to try to turn Athelstan, but after being crucified I doubt Athelstan has any warm feelings for these guys.

He probably just wants Athelstan for info/leverage since hes lived among the vikings and knows their ways.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

No More Heroes posted:

He probably just wants Athelstan for info/leverage since hes lived among the vikings and knows their ways.

That's what I figured he'd try to turn him for. "Tell me what you know and you'll have whatever you want." He could still make the offer but after being crucified I don't think Athelstan will trust Ecbert, even if he did "save" him.

Athelstan's clearly having some guilt issues though. That bleeding image of a crucified Jesus in the Bible was more than foreshadowing his own.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maan I hope Ragnar ditches Auslag or something happens to her shes a whiny little bitch. Lagertha 4lyfe

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
These episodes pack so much in. It's great. Peasant women getting clothes-lined. Babby goats. Seer dude loving with Jarl Borg.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Did Catholics really crucify people in the name of Christ?

That seems so wrong.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
God season 2 is so epic... Also how did the messenger find Ragnar since Ragnar himself got lost to get there?

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

Crucified people lingered for days, which is why they went to spear him.

I can't check my facts since I'm at work, but my understanding is that an abdominal wound actually delayed death during crucifixion. Otherwise the buildup of fluid around the lungs would cause asphyxiation.

But maybe that's what you meant anyway.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

darthzeta88 posted:

God season 2 is so epic... Also how did the messenger find Ragnar since Ragnar himself got lost to get there?

This was a killer episode and next week looks even better but theres a couple more shaky things like Lagertha kicked her husbands rear end and took his men and who were the dudes that Athelstan was hunting with? They looked like englishmen..then they were attacked by englishmen :psyduck:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I thought when they wanted people to die quickly they'd break their legs so they couldn't lift themselves up to breath.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

nooneofconsequence posted:

Did Catholics really crucify people in the name of Christ?

That seems so wrong.

Was wondering this too and now have "punishment apostasy Christianity" as part of my browsing history. (Most returns just revolved around definitions of apostate.)

I think they just wanted to have the scene in there.

darthzeta88 posted:

Since they've been there for awhile maybe there was some searches/messengers sent out? It still bugs me...probably never see/hear of the messenger dude again either.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

No More Heroes posted:

This was a killer episode and next week looks even better but theres a couple more shaky things like Lagertha kicked her husbands rear end and took his men and who were the dudes that Athelstan was hunting with? They looked like englishmen..then they were attacked by englishmen :psyduck:

Yeah, this season is great so far, this latest one felt more like watching a movie than an episode from the middle of the season.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Erghh posted:

Was wondering this too and now have "punishment apostasy Christianity" as part of my browsing history. (Most returns just revolved around definitions of apostate.)

I think they just wanted to have the scene in there.

Since they've been there for awhile maybe there was some searches/messengers sent out? It still bugs me...probably never see/hear of the messenger dude again either.

Yeah, going full bore with the crown of thorns and everything definitely seems a bit much. More like something you'd expect the northmen to do.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I thought that crucifixion with the crown of thorns was something that they wouldn't do to anyone since it was done to Jesus, as if trying to give his status to Aethelstan. For someone who had supposedly turned away from Christianity, it just strikes me as odd that they wouldn't give him a chance to confess and be forgiven. Almost seems like a mockery of Jesus's crucifixion and a discredit to the entire religion of Christianity. At the beginning of the scene I thought Aethelstan was having a nightmare because the thought of Christians summarily crucifying a man who had turned pagan (supposedly) was absurd. Also, how would they know he was an apostate unless he told them he was a Saxon and also used to be a monk?

I guess it is one way to make us see the Saxons as the bad guys instead of seeing them as the poor fucks on the receiving end of a decades-long Viking rear end loving.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

hypersleep posted:

I think Athelstan is ready to be a Christian again, especially after witnessing the nun's rape this episode, as well as that priest's torture last week. I'm pretty sure he was praying in Latin while on the cross too.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

I thought that crucifixion with the crown of thorns was something that they wouldn't do to anyone since it was done to Jesus, as if trying to give his status to Aethelstan. For someone who had supposedly turned away from Christianity, it just strikes me as odd that they wouldn't give him a chance to confess and be forgiven. Almost seems like a mockery of Jesus's crucifixion and a discredit to the entire religion of Christianity. At the beginning of the scene I thought Aethelstan was having a nightmare because the thought of Christians summarily crucifying a man who had turned pagan (supposedly) was absurd. Also, how would they know he was an apostate unless he told them he was a Saxon and also used to be a monk?

I guess it is one way to make us see the Saxons as the bad guys instead of seeing them as the poor fucks on the receiving end of a decades-long Viking rear end loving.

I guess when he said "I'm like you" that was close enough, because at that point basically 100% of the population was probably Christian. Running around with the vikings and helping to raid a monastery was probably plenty to justify calling him an apostate apropos of nothing else.

I do agree that it seemed almost like a mockery of Christ's crucifixion, though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I was pumping my fist at that ending. Cannot wait for next week.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Well according to the Bible you can't be forgiven for aposty though you can be for almost everything else. And as soon as he was captured I knew he wasn't smart enough to have a good explanation for speaking english. And medieval people really prided themselves on their creative execution methods.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Also, how would they know he was an apostate unless he told them he was a Saxon and also used to be a monk?

He also spoke their language, and because it's his native tongue, he's fluent and probably carries a regional dialect, which to a Saxon would most likely mean he's born and raised in England. And on top of that, growing up to be a monk would also betray his background, i mean he must speak with a more educated vocabulary with the background that he has, he would'nt exactly sound as a farmer.

He would betray his origin just by speaking, unless he would fake some broken "english". Which he didn't.

I find it hard to believe that the Saxons wouldn't know of Romans, at least superficially. Referring to the scene where Ragnar admires the statues and the Saxon guy says a race of giants might have built them. Wouldn't there be some kind of collective memory from Roman times? Not to mention the church itself, where knowledge is preserved, is itself formerly a Roman institution. Did they really think giants spread their religion, built the statues and baths, and gave them latin?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 21, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

qbert posted:

I was pumping my fist at that ending. Cannot wait for next week.

The eagle bit with Jarl Borg and the seer didnt make any sense to me until I looked up Ragnar and and his sons and read about the Blood Eagle :v:

(dont look into it if you dont want spoilers)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falukorv posted:

I find it hard to believe that the Saxons wouldn't know of Romans, at least superficially. Referring to the scene where Ragnar admires the statues and the Saxon guy says a race of giants might have built them. Wouldn't there be some kind of collective memory from Roman times? Not to mention the church itself, where knowledge is preserved, is itself formerly a Roman institution. Did they really think giants spread their religion, built the statues and baths, and gave them latin?

Didn't the Saxons come after the Romans had already left Britain?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Falukorv posted:

I figured the guy was just mocking Ragnar for being a backwoods savage in that scene

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Another great episode. They're on fire this season - looking forward to seeing where it heads.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

DarklyDreaming posted:

I figured the guy was just mocking Ragnar for being a backwoods savage in that scene

Wouldn't that fascinate Ragnar though? Considering giants are part of Norse myth.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

DarkCrawler posted:

Didn't the Saxons come after the Romans had already left Britain?

Yes, but presumably most of the people living in England had ancestors living for centuries of Roman rule, and also the church was a Roman institution and such some knowledge of them would have survived. Saxons also knew of the Roman Empire before coming to Britain. They had some dealings with Gaul, Saxons raided locations in Gaul and fought against Franks for Gaulish lands during the break-up of the Western Roman Empire. And before that there was presumably a long history of trade with Gaul.
And even as far away as in Sweden, you had people there travelling to the Western Roman Empire to serve as mercenaries, so probably some Saxons went there for the same reasons as well.

Not to mention, Saxons were already conducting raids on Roman Britain during the late 4th century, right before the Romans left. To such an extent that tthe Romans had to build a series of fortifications along the coast of the English Channel (the so called litus Saxonicum).

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah that could be it too, didn't notice any obvious irony when watching that scene.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 21, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This episode was great. The Seer is pretty badass

:ironicat: : So tell me, "seer", what does my future hold?
:frog: : I see... an eagle...
:allears: : Oooh an eagle! That's gotta be a good sign. In all the sagas an eagle is a good sign. Thanks dude!
:frog: : :shrug:

[cue shot of Ragnar with a big rear end :911: on his chest]

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

Tumbleweed Chingada posted:

Wouldn't that fascinate Ragnar though? Considering giants are part of Norse myth.

Don't think Ragnar was that stupid, i am pretty sure he knew the guy was mocking him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pigdog posted:

:allears: : Oooh an eagle! That's gotta be a good sign. In all the sagas an eagle is a good sign. Thanks dude!

Ragnar has a raven, not an eagle. Pretty obvious that the seer was referring to the blood eagle.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

pigdog posted:

In some runes they mention eagles in terms of going some place to bring eagles food, i.e kill a bunch of people to become eagle food. Which, if it means he'll become eagle feed is still a bad prophecy.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Well poo poo. The History Channel has an inside look video up for the last episode where writer Michael Hirst asserts there were two instances of monks getting captured by Vikings, turning pagan, then returning home. And one who came back was apparently caught and nailed up. Starts about 1:25.

Also he confirms that Ragnar lost ships on the return voyage.

Clicking around there's also a spoiler-ish thing about Rollo; he becomes a berserker?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I already thought he was one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
The site indicated there was some sort of formal process for it. I'd guess there would a distinction between just being a badass and having some kind of recognized status.

More likely I just missed a reference somewhere though.

• Locked thread