Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Daynab posted:

PCGamer got to have a hands on with the game today, here's what they said.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-hands-on-life-and-death-on-the-frontier/

Overall the reception by people has been super positive and we're really happy about that!

They somehow managed to make the game sound dull :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I mean "video game journalism" is notoriously bad, but how could you not be excited that becoming an axe murderer is a way your people can learn to cope with stress?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Volmarias posted:

It got me pretty excited when all I had before was a passing interest!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Deakul posted:

It got me pretty excited when all I had before was a passing interest!

Then you're in for a treat with the dev log blog. Read up on non-euclidian chickens!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I thought the redacted pieces were already talked about or shown.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Here's some storytelling about GDC and a couple funny pictures: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/19/how-to-pr-the-gaslamp-way/
And an Escapist article, though people here who have been following the development probably won't learn anything new in it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/gdc2014/11148-Clockwork-Empires-Simulated-Colonies-and-Elder-Gods

Now I want to know who compared us to Molyneux :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well you HAVE promised the world. Now you just have to deliver!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gameplay video: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/19/clockwork-empires-gameplay-video-first-ever-footage/

Using the phrase Early Access has gotten people thinking this'll be on Steam Early Access by the way.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Gameplay video: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/19/clockwork-empires-gameplay-video-first-ever-footage/

Using the phrase Early Access has gotten people thinking this'll be on Steam Early Access by the way.

Of course it will be there :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Bernardo Orel posted:

Of course it will be there :colbert:

But only for certain people with a certain ticket. :unsmigghh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Daynab posted:

Bunch of devs are at GDC showing the game off right now, by the way.
I think there might be pictures when they get back.

There are a bunch of Paradox people at GDC too, please give them a copy of the game to bring back for me. TIA!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Here is a pretty in depth article from RockPaperShotgun

There's some new details and anecdotes in this one.

“And the behaviour can even surprise the developers. They hand wrote that soldiers can get demoralised in battle, Jacobsen explained. And they hand wrote that drinking too much alcohol can cause characters to lose memories. What they hadn’t written is that soldiers who drink too much after battle are the best units, as they can forget the horrors they faced and might be willing to fight again.”

We're super happy people like what they've seen of the game so far!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Daynab posted:

Here is a pretty in depth article from RockPaperShotgun

There's some new details and anecdotes in this one.

“And the behaviour can even surprise the developers. They hand wrote that soldiers can get demoralised in battle, Jacobsen explained. And they hand wrote that drinking too much alcohol can cause characters to lose memories. What they hadn’t written is that soldiers who drink too much after battle are the best units, as they can forget the horrors they faced and might be willing to fight again.”

We're super happy people like what they've seen of the game so far!

I'm surprised you haven't broken out the champagne and party hats. John Walker is a tough reviewer and is grumpy as hell. You guys not only charmed the pants off him you made him giddy with excitement.

CitizenDaniel
Jun 6, 2011
We're too tired to do that. I am thrilled though. As a gamer I love what RPS is doing, but as a developer, they're a little intimidating. We'll celebrate when we're home :) ONE MORE DAY AAAAAHHH

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm looking forward to fielding my traumatized "Drunken Lepers" squad of crack(ed) veterans. It'll be like Dwarf Fortress all over again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The bit about spite development made me smile, keep it up Gaslamp!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm looking forward to fielding my traumatized "Drunken Lepers" squad of crack(ed) veterans. It'll be like Dwarf Fortress all over again.

Every game I play shall have a squad named "The One Way Outs"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Every game I play shall have a squad named "The One Way Outs"

"The Thousand Yard Stares" as another option. Really, I don't think I will do anything in this game that is even remotely cheery. I'll just make sure my colonies have ample food and booze and then let people do whatever they want in their spare time and see what happens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That RPS interview was quite good, I'm very curious now that the reviewer was tired of quote 'molyneux bullshit' unquote and found it to be a reality in CE.

Also it reinforces my impression that this is the sims with gameplay. I will say the PC gamer video wasn't very good though, the game looks rough, which is presumably due to alphaness but it still doesn't give the greatest impression.

I did find that when watching the video, the camera made me very nostalgic for some reason and I'm not sure why, and the building generation looks quite neat. I'd stress that a lot of polish on the character movement and interaction would be a big game-maker for me, if combat was as clunky as it looked in the video I'd be put off, but again, I'm assuming that's just a very early system.

It's weird to see it in motion, but the art style is really nice too. Overall happy with how it looks, but feel that the video could perhaps do with more qualifiers about what is and isn't considered to be of releasable quality yet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Can we make rooms with buildings? Like what if I want one massive manufactorium with a built in bunkhouse? Or make interconnected buildings with closed walkways?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Will there be any fortification options? I like the option of being able to bunker up and play at my own pace, rather than having the RNG and progression dictate the tempo.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
You can build earth ramparts and possibly dig trenches, there was a dev blog on them a few months back.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slo-Tek posted:

Will there be any fortification options? I like the option of being able to bunker up and play at my own pace, rather than having the RNG and progression dictate the tempo.

Losing is fun!

But to answer your question there will be some protection but my impression (otherwise known as me making poo poo up) from the little we've heard about it is you can't just wall yourself in ala Dwarf Fortress.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

OwlFancier posted:

That RPS interview was quite good, I'm very curious now that the reviewer was tired of quote 'molyneux bullshit' unquote and found it to be a reality in CE.

Yeah, the interview was really well written and made me even more excited for the game. Really, really interesting read and I hope that it brings some good press your way. Also makes me really want to meet the team, haha.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I've been following this game for a while and the build shown in the review video was a lot further along then I thought this game was. Really cool.

I'll play if it hits early access, but glad you aren't rushing it out. There are too many unfinished games out there as is.

Art direction, animation, all look promising.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 21, 2014

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I like the idea of preventable disasters. It was always kind of annoying that you never got tornado or alien warnings in SimCity; they just happened and all of your interaction with the event was reactionary. Opens it up to a lot experimentation to prevent horrible-ness.

Cults? In my empire? It's more likely than you think!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Daynab posted:

Here's some storytelling about GDC and a couple funny pictures: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/19/how-to-pr-the-gaslamp-way/

I am so sad that I missed GDC. I was even in the area on a business trip, but I didn't have time to escape to San Francisco. Glad to hear it went well though. :)

quote:

Discover your hotel has no hot tub, and that you are surrounded by Ridiculously Healthy people from the Google Android team, and feel Bad about your Health.

:argh: While they were off gallivanting around GDC and looking healthy at people, I (and the rest of my team) were attending talks with titles like "Initializing End to End Test Frameworks: Why the sun will grow cold and dim before your one-line change is fully tested" and "The Inescapable Waking Nightmare that is Log Analysis". And trying with only partial success to fend off Airplane Flu.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

OwlFancier posted:

You misread. Molyneux is loving notorious of quoting everything on the initial draft as being features of his games, and then the final game is decent but has half a percent of what the man promised. This started with Black & White, and got particularly bad when he said you could plant a tree and watch it grow in real time. That didn't make it to the game for some reason.

Clockwork Empires on the other hand is delivering a insane amount of detail and moral decisions that really live up to the bullshit promises Molyneux gave. You can supply the opiate of the masses, or you can let them suffer in misery in more detail than many city builders. You are making some serious choices with some serious consequences, with more readily available sympathy than a blinking smiley.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Triskelli posted:

You misread. Molyneux is loving notorious of quoting everything on the initial draft as being features of his games, and then the final game is decent but has half a percent of what the man promised. This started with Black & White, and got particularly bad when he said you could plant a tree and watch it grow in real time. That didn't make it to the game for some reason.

Clockwork Empires on the other hand is delivering a insane amount of detail and moral decisions that really live up to the bullshit promises Molyneux gave. You can supply the opiate of the masses, or you can let them suffer in misery in more detail than many city builders. You are making some serious choices with some serious consequences, with more readily available sympathy than a blinking smiley.

No I didn't misread, though I may have miscommunicated. I know exactly what's meant by molyneux bullshit, I bought a magazine (rare thing for me) when I was young and it had an article on black and white 2, saying how it was going to have physically simulated procedural fog and amazing AI and epic siege warfare and all that.

I meant that the usual hyped bullshit is actually a reality in the game. Which is impressive because PM is pretty much the bullshit singularity. Saying a game can achieve what molyneux promises is like saying your lab is actually running off the fusion reactor you were working on. It's a phrase that will cause a stir.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 21, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sorry then. But I definitely think a bottom up redesign of dwarf fortress would be possible, achievable, and even profitable. Gut everything that doesn't help the possible stories, make sure the AI have enough to do and reasons to do it, strip out the randomness outside of map generation, don't shy away from the nasty bits (cannabilism is good pr)... yeah I think a team could do it, and I think Gaslamp will do it. Game needs a little more polish and content, but I'm definitely encouraged.

I do prefer the obeliskians from the concept art than the one from the trailer, where they float and the tentacles hang, instead of walking on their tentacles

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Since having too much meat leads to worm monsters. Does having too much jam lead to jelly monsters?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Atarask posted:

Since having too much meat leads to worm monsters. Does having too much jam lead to jelly monsters?

Worse. Crumpet monsters.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
What horror will be unleashed if you have too many cookies?!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Another important question: can we make jammie dodgers and if so can I eat them in real life?

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Another important question: can we make jammie dodgers and if so can I eat them in real life?

I'm pretty sure that too many jammie dodgers summons Daleks...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
With everything I see about Clockwork Empires, I swear it would not be possible to be more enthused for it. And yet, something new comes along.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I'm only half-way through reading the RPS article and I'm posting to know if there'll be a Goon-beta. Will there, nvining? Won't you think of the poor SA goons? :unsmith:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

LotsBread posted:

I'm only half-way through reading the RPS article and I'm posting to know if there'll be a Goon-beta. Will there, nvining? Won't you think of the poor SA goons? :unsmith:
There's seven individuals with golden tickets for an expedition to the colonies last I heard. Development and internal testing is still taking place and no schedule on when external testers rip it apart. Very interested in seeing how much of the scope carried through from initial reports and how well the implementation works out.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
So is the game still on track for a Q2 release then? It's fine if it isn't, I was just wondering since it seems like the alpha/beta would be more advanced if it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Combining the various statements, my sense is that if something gets released in Q2 2014 it will be an alpha/beta-level early access kind of deal, not a finished product.

• Locked thread