Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aw look at that cute little face :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Now he's just going to try and remain afraid all the time just so he can remember things.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Ofaloaf posted:

Now he's just going to try and remain afraid all the time just so he can remember things.

To be fair it's not like he doesn't have things to be afraid of.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

And he's not exactly going to have to put in any effort to be afraid all the time. He goes to sleep with a frying pan!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm not so sure that's a good idea. At least part of the message of that dream seemed to be that the pattern is a trap. After all, it was only by trying to trying to keep away one ghost using the patterns that he ended up getting caught by another one. Perhaps there's some enemies coming up that you are only vulnerable to if you're aware of them.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I don't think it is a dream, I think the Angleworm is trying to feed. The Mysterious pattern being revealed is a lure, you can see the worm circling waiting for him to take the bait in the 'To see where others merely look' comic. The three red lines are the worm, they go past the skeleton and his cat in panel 4, loop around behind Wadsworth in panel 6 and you see it attack in the top right corner of the last three panels. The information lure is the organised squares and lines pattern in the bottom left, the Angleworm is the curves and spikes behind Wadsworths head.

I will point out I've been awake for something approaching thirty two hours now after my nan fell and broke her leg.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds plausible. Get some sleep.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The three red lines are the path he followed out of his shop in the dream. :raise:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If memory serves

Good question, Zane. Good question.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pen is mightier than the sword. Especially when you are in a town where there are ghosts stitching themselves a new body or eating memories.

Y'know, I am now wondering. Why was the mayor in Zane's first dream motioning Zane to be silent before his face imploded? Does subconcious Zane know concious Zane is setting himself up to get killed by talking too much?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Considering how the first chapter went, anyone get the feeling that all this dream and creepy hole stuff is just trying to set up a bait and switch for what the real threat is?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Zane the last time you figured out the pattern you got kidnapped by a skeleton ghost. Stop while you're alive.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
And Iris goes to her first meeting.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Misses Isquith looks like she's been in one of Zane's dreams.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I'm assuming the lady meeting club is actually the secret society that knows Broodhollow is screwy as hell and does what they so to make sure it doesn't go completely batshit. Nothing in this comic will ever convince me otherwise.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Huh, that insignia looks familiar.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are you talking about? I don't remember seeing anything like that :v:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Maybe the town just loving loves badges and broaches and pins and such and created insane goings on to justify more and more groups who can issue their own badges that people can collect.

What I'm saying is that Broodhollow is nothing but an advertisement for Penny Arcade pin collecting.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
By the way, just realized - when Ms. Isquith says it's pronounced as in "Is kith": "Kith" is an Old English word meaning "kinship" and "knowledge", and usually is used to mean someone who is a friend and part of your society - thus describing two people as "of kith and kin".

So there's some creepy foreshadowing with the old matriarch of the secret society describing herself in archaic terms as being of the same people.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It looks like the ladies' auxiliary is at least a little more important than the skulls and shovels society. Granted, that's not saying much.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Wow! A whole 22 dollars!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

About $500 in today's money, if anyone was wondering.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PleasingFungus posted:

About $500 in today's money, if anyone was wondering.
That... is a lot more than I was expecting it to be.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Oh yeah, no, inflation is loving crazy. There are people alive today who remember when you made like a dollar an hour at work and a good steak of the "Holy gently caress are we really going to spend that much money on dinner" variety ran you like ten, twenty cents-which was still considered a loving crazy amount of money to spend on a steak. Penny candy used to actually fetch a pretty respectable quantity of candy for a penny, it wasn't just a name.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

1926 car ad. Inflation!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

What year did this take place in, again?

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Appears to be 1933 according to this page: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/01/04/revision/

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Whoops, sorry; correct my estimate to "about $400", in that case.

Not that it makes too much difference, I suppose.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That looks more like 193[several numbers printed on top of each other] to me. :raise:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I never wanna see grannie's wrinkles up-close like that again.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Iris reacted pretty realistically to that lady's nihilistic tirade about how modern technology has taken the mundanity out of death.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

As fascinating as this is, I kinda hope something dies or explodes soon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Knowing the pacing of this comic, I'm going to be having nightmares by Friday.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I re-read this book so far and I kinda skimmed over the fact that apparently something is heating the floor under Zane's shop. That's not something that was really used in small buildings back then.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I know the feeling, Zane. I know the feeling.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I re-read this book so far and I kinda skimmed over the fact that apparently something is heating the floor under Zane's shop. That's not something that was really used in small buildings back then.
I thought the same thing. Though it was more what was heating the floors. If it's just one of the mysteries, or just something Zane does off screen.

And I did a quick search and underfloor heating has apparently been a thing for way longer than I thought.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not entirely sure if this is going to turn out to be Zane dreaming of horrifying imploding people some more or Zane thinking he's dreaming of horrifying imploding people and it's not a dream :unsmigghh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kgummy posted:

I thought the same thing. Though it was more what was heating the floors. If it's just one of the mysteries, or just something Zane does off screen.

And I did a quick search and underfloor heating has apparently been a thing for way longer than I thought.
Yeah it's been around forever. In 1900-1930's era America though it wasn't really a thing outside of very large buildings.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Wadsworth Zane, the Anti-Ladies man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's her again!

• Locked thread