Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

HoboNews posted:

The column of water may be a big hassle, even with airlocks. What happens when a random NPC opens one door of the airlock, doesn't close it, and then opens the second one? You'd end up with like half the rooms flooded before your player makes it to the village.
Also with the way water works in Starbound, there's no way to fight that with gravity like you could in Terraria. It could be more work than its worth.

Can you not just make a J-shaped lock in Starbound? I was assuming you could. I'll go check.

edit: Well poo poo!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Yeah.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Can you make a block that let's players through but not water? Or a device that emits such a field?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bistromatic posted:

Can you make a block that let's players through but not water? Or a device that emits such a field?

I would eventually like to see a permeable fluid/gas barrier that allows players or monsters to pass, but not air or water. Just so I can build the occasional sci-fi space base rather than doing an airlock every time (assuming we ever get the ability to oxygenate enclosed structures).

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dog kisser posted:

Can you not just make a J-shaped lock in Starbound? I was assuming you could. I'll go check.

edit: Well poo poo!

It might be worth waiting until they implement the Hyotl settlements, since they'll have had to have come up with a solution to this.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

centaurette hentai posted:

It might be worth waiting until they implement the Hyotl settlements, since they'll have had to have come up with a solution to this.

But then I have to waaaait.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dog kisser posted:

But then I have to waaaait.

But then you have awesome underwater settlements!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Kinda thinking of making monster parts for a bit.. Like.. Dino parts..

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Kinda thinking of making monster parts for a bit.. Like.. Dino parts..

Can't wait - your spriting is excellent and more variety is always good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do we even have pumps yet for manual airlocks?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Zereth posted:

Do we even have pumps yet for manual airlocks?

No sir - I think I know what I'll do though. I'll just modify that Airgen liquid air mod to emit water insteadand put those up top, then I'll just leave some back wall gaps so the water can drain.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Raaaaaaaar! :krakken:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Raaaaaaaar! :krakken:

It's just how happy they are about jumping that nails it for me :allears:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Last ones for tonight..

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Aw look how cute :3:

:stonk:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Why are you trying to add more nightmare fuel to Starbound? What will the attack be for the skull head monster, vomiting blood :stonk:

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
The further down I went on Shoehead's post, the more I loved it.

Didn't want to double post, so:

Can someone PLEASE make explosive tools with tiers? I'm not just talking rocket launchers or guns, oh no, I'm talkin' throwable items that are like the lovely default bombs in the vanilla game but not lovely. And with tiers. That do neat things. Like make black holes. :getin:

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 20, 2014

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I made some Aegisalt upgrades for the Titanium flamethrower! :newlol:

Now I have to think of four cerulium upgrades. This branching path method is the poo poo.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
You guys are making me want to pick up Starbound again if for no other reason than to try these wacky weapons.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

:flaccid:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I Said No posted:

I made some Aegisalt upgrades for the Titanium flamethrower! :newlol:

Now I have to think of four cerulium upgrades. This branching path method is the poo poo.

Shits awwwwwesome branching weapons are so fun!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IAmTheRad posted:

Why are you trying to add more nightmare fuel to Starbound? What will the attack be for the skull head monster, vomiting blood :stonk:

I just really like mimics and The Thing.

Edit: Oh yeah I should ask for requests, any weird monster parts I should throw in?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

I just really like mimics and The Thing.

Edit: Oh yeah I should ask for requests, any weird monster parts I should throw in?

Make the Wheelers from Return To Oz, but give them buzz saw blades instead of wheels.

While I'm making frivolous wishes, make them able to use and spawn on Skyrails :unsmigghh:

EDIT: I just really like buzz saw blades on things like a stupid 90's kid. I can't believe I didn't notice Wreck-It-Ralf had a Cyborg Justice cameo. I suppose this may have to do with the fact I never saw the movie.

EDIT Two: vvv People have told you that you are very good at this by now, right? Because you are.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 20, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What like with a gross helmet head like this:

Edit: hoh hoh

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 20, 2014

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
I think I may have found a solution to dog kisser's water column dilemma?

If not, then I found a mod that every spaceship needs. :colbert:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I like this SuperSoaker.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

That'll work to block the water, for sure - until you open the door and water rushes in! However I think I have a workaround - I'll place ocean water (instead of regular water), which never flows away, and then I'll install drains in j shaped airlocks - I'll post a gif later if it works!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

dog kisser posted:

That'll work to block the water, for sure - until you open the door and water rushes in! However I think I have a workaround - I'll place ocean water (instead of regular water), which never flows away, and then I'll install drains in j shaped airlocks - I'll post a gif later if it works!

Have it drain into a sewer that leads to lava, destroys the water.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Couldn't you wire one door closing to the other one opening and vice versa?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

How about this instead?

Pictured: Something that ought to be in vanilla Starbound already and not involving all this rigamarole. Okay, underwater villages back on (hopefully this doesn't end up secretly being mega-laggy but it doesn't seem to be)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lobsterpillar posted:

Couldn't you wire one door closing to the other one opening and vice versa?

That'd only work if it was one way and there was a drain though. Which would work fine, but then where'd you get your water source from?

dog kisser posted:

How about this instead?

Pictured: Something that ought to be in vanilla Starbound already and not involving all this rigamarole. Okay, underwater villages back on (hopefully this doesn't end up secretly being mega-laggy but it doesn't seem to be)

What's the water doing down by the J-lock?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

That'd only work if it was one way and there was a drain though. Which would work fine, but then where'd you get your water source from?

What's the water doing down by the J-lock?

Draining into a drain - I could have just left a space in the back wall, but this drain I rigged up drains stuff waaaaaay faster AND works even deep underground.

edit:

Rigged a door hatch that auto closes after 10 seconds to prevent people leavin' doors open and making a mess of things.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 21, 2014

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I haven't played this since the beta was first released, and seeing dog kissers' guns made me want to pick it up for a bit. What are some goods mods I should check out?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dog kisser posted:

Draining into a drain - I could have just left a space in the back wall, but this drain I rigged up drains stuff waaaaaay faster AND works even deep underground.

edit:

Rigged a door hatch that auto closes after 10 seconds to prevent people leavin' doors open and making a mess of things.

Oh cool! How'd you set it up so the water level stays constant?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

dog kisser posted:

With the drains, I think. Sorta looks like that fan is dumping water in too.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh cool! How'd you set it up so the water level stays constant?

Drains are half the work--taking off the extra off the bottom. But if you look closely in the gif it looks like the water is being returned to the top via a pump at the top.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I don't think it's a "pump" per se, so much as a fan-shaped background object that generates squares of water at the bottom.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

I remade the extractinator from Terraria! Sort of. You put in gravel, sand or what have you and it'll gradually fill up with stuff like coal, copper, crystals, etc. Learning LUA through Starbound modding is getting to be pretty cool.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

How is the underground in starbound now? Do you still have to dig a fair amount to reach any meaningful cave? Or have they made it more terraria like where caves generally go pretty far underground to caverns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

I Said No posted:

I remade the extractinator from Terraria! Sort of. You put in gravel, sand or what have you and it'll gradually fill up with stuff like coal, copper, crystals, etc. Learning LUA through Starbound modding is getting to be pretty cool.
Nice, can you actually script the interface now or is that just a container with the first slot displayed differently?

• Locked thread