Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does Heavyarms extend to those criticisms? That's on my list as a kit I may like, but if it's flimsy/finnicky/poorly poseable I don't want it.

Heavyarms is not flimsy/finicky/poorly poseable in any sense of the word. I would say it's the best of the Wing EW MGs.

Edit: A video review should give you a better sight of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBzYTnluwA

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

You want big legs?

Miss Sazabi is even taller than her original. :allears:

Well of course she is, she's wearing high-heels ;-*.

Also, GundamGuy has a review of the Exia Dark Matter up.

Turns out those big red parts on the underside of the Booster's wings detach as holdable blades. I just want to know what those four red spikes are for. Something surprising with the DM Booster on it's own is that it also comes with the full set of parts to stick it on any Gundam... but it doesn't really need them. It's got the twin-pegs design, and a flip-out longer central one so it can already go on pretty much anything.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

DamnGlitch posted:

Honestly I should just swap their hands now that I think of it, since they are perfectly wrong for their own accessories.

That's at least in keeping with the series :haw:

My Turn-A and Sengoku Astray came in today (after a week and a half of wrestling with the post office not delivering them). I described them to my GF by saying, "this one can cross its arms while still holding its swords, and this one has a mustache."

She finished building the SD QAN{T} last night. Her next on is going to be Bearguy-III :3:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does Heavyarms extend to those criticisms? That's on my list as a kit I may like, but if it's flimsy/finnicky/poorly poseable I don't want it.

I don't think they are 'flimsy' so much as a bit lighter since they are thinner mobile suits than a lot of the UC mainstays. That said, not having done heavy arms, I have to guess that it probably wold be better balanced that Wing / epyon just because of the lack of wings. Luckily, heavyarms can have the gatt attach straight to the arm, so that's more on the joints than the hands in terms of handling weight, though it looks like it has a hand held mode as well that you might wanna investigate the hand type for since the gun is so big. Amazon reviews are happy with the model though there are a lot of complains about trouble holding the gun weight in hand mode (but this is true of just about any large weapon for gunpla)

Taking a look the the vEwW heavyarms for the first time though, drat, that's way more baddass than the heavyarms custom or original version.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

TaurusOxford posted:

Heavyarms is not flimsy/finicky/poorly poseable in any sense of the word. I would say it's the best of the Wing EW MGs.

Edit: A video review should give you a better sight of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBzYTnluwA

Yeah I've gotten my Heavyarms MG to do all sorts of silly poses, even the default gun hands can support that big Leopard-esque gun somehow with a little bit of maneuvering. It's definitely my favorite MG I currently own.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'll probably pick that up next, then, thanks. I wish they'd make a new Rick Dom, though I guess there's only so much poseability you're going to get out of that suit anyways.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I haven't had any real problems with the ew hands, both the mg tallgeese and epyon have held their weapons just fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Apparently there's an announced HGBF kit(Fenice Renescita) coming in June. There's no possible idea as to what it could possibly be (Fenice Renescita). Guess will just have to wait and see what this mystery kit is (Fenice Renescita).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Yeah I've gotten my Heavyarms MG to do all sorts of silly poses, even the default gun hands can support that big Leopard-esque gun somehow with a little bit of maneuvering. It's definitely my favorite MG I currently own.

I personally love the giant ammo drum mounted behind the shoulder on the Heavyarms vEW, it makes it seem much more practical. The TV/OVA version's gatlings ran dry with alarming speed, probably because it wasn't a big bulky Battlemech with plenty of internal storage for ballistic ammunition. :v:

Fake edit: I want an MG Miss Sazabi based on the MG Sazabi Ver.Ka. It's probably one of my favorite BF designs, and we haven't even seen it in motion yet.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently there's an announced HGBF kit(Fenice Renescita) coming in June. There's no possible idea as to what it could possibly be (Fenice Renescita). Guess will just have to wait and see what this mystery kit is (Fenice Renescita).

Don't kid yourself. It's the Gyan Vulcan.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Really wish they'd do the Abigorbine, but who am I kidding, that will never happen.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Really wish they'd do the Abigorbine, but who am I kidding, that will never happen.

I wish too. Want that split beetle horn head....

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If thats true I'm sold x2.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm still holding out hope for an MG Fenice, so I can buy two and kitbash them together. :getin:

Also, maybe it's just me, but I really hate the After War MG hands. On all three of the ones I have, the fingers keep falling out of the hand, which gets tedious after a while, especially if you like to change things up.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 21, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's totally going to be Star Build Strike Aqua Mode.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Also, maybe it's just me, but I really hate the After War MG hands. On all three of the ones I have, the fingers keep falling out of the hand, which gets tedious after a while, especially if you like to change things up.

Do you have the new Gundam X? If so does it handle normal cannon posing pretty well? I want that to be my next MG purchase but hearing that the hands might not be up to snuff has me worried a little.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Do you have the new Gundam X? If so does it handle normal cannon posing pretty well? I want that to be my next MG purchase but hearing that the hands might not be up to snuff has me worried a little.

Sorry, I don't have that kit. Yet. BUT I DO HAVE NEW GUNPLA PICTURES.

God bless you Bandai, giving me all the things I want. Even if the Neo Zeong is almost 300 dollars. And the MG Banshee Norn is 70 bucks and an online exclusive to boot.

:negative:

(That Norn still has the normal Banshee awful yellow plastic though, and not the brilliant gold stuff from the web exclusive Banshee ver Ka. Looks like that has a date with some metallic gold paint.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It works fine. If you're having trouble with the bracket hands, just future the connections and voila.

S-Alpha posted:

And the MG Banshee Norn is 70 bucks and an online exclusive to boot.

Hahaha, I was wondering why they hadn't released any news so close to the airing of the final episode. Makes sense I guess, they already have the Armed Armor DE so this thing is pretty much just a new gun and two backpack attachments.

EDIT: By the way, if you are ever in the situation where things don't seem to stay on, 99% of the time the solution is to just future it. I know Bandai spoils us, but this is still the model kit hobby. You should always expect to have to do some fixing up on any given kit.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 21, 2014

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

S-Alpha posted:

I'm still holding out hope for an MG Fenice, so I can buy two and kitbash them together. :getin:

I think at least one person here is confused because the only After War MG is the Gundam X. Do you mean After Colony (Wing)?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

I think at least one person here is confused because the only After War MG is the Gundam X. Do you mean After Colony (Wing)?

Goddammit :cripes:. Yes, that. I'll get it right someday.

Regarding using future for the hand joints, I eventually just went and used plastic weld on the kits I have with those kinds of hands. I just wish I could find some bloody future to use instead, I know how great it is, but I can't really find any, sadly enough. Maybe the next time I head to the city, I'll be able to find it in a proper chain store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

S-Alpha posted:

Sorry, I don't have that kit. Yet. BUT I DO HAVE NEW GUNPLA PICTURES.

God bless you Bandai, giving me all the things I want. Even if the Neo Zeong is almost 300 dollars. And the MG Banshee Norn is 70 bucks and an online exclusive to boot.

:negative:

(That Norn still has the normal Banshee awful yellow plastic though, and not the brilliant gold stuff from the web exclusive Banshee ver Ka. Looks like that has a date with some metallic gold paint.)

You missed the color pics of the Crossbone Maoh. Surprisingly, the yellow knee vents are actual pieces rather than stickers. The big beam cutter things also look goofy as gently caress because of how long they are, but damned if I don't still like them :allears:. As to the Neo Zeong prototype, because of the different colors between robots in that picture I can't help but look at it and imagine the Sinanju working away at oversized controls to run it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you can't find future you can just use regular topcoat. Or hell, dried superglue. The former's kind of a waste of perfectly good flatcoat, and the latter doesn't look as nice, but they'll both increase friction just as well as future does.

Also thank god I started this FA ZZ project because

I wouldn't be able to resist dropping down $75 otherwise. :shepface:

Also MG Turn X confirmed to have a custom action base. It's just slightly taller than the MG Turn A so you can have the Turn X do the full on energy drain too!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As to the Neo Zeong prototype, because of the different colors between robots in that picture I can't help but look at it and imagine the Sinanju working away at oversized controls to run it.

That's how I've imagined it from the start, and damned if I'm gonna stop, even after episode 7 comes out. :allears:

Also, I just noticed that the backpack/wings/whatever they are bits on the back of the MG Banshee Norn are also that lovely yellow plastic and not the transparent psychoframe plastic. That's kinda lame, but whatever, more bits that have a meeting with some paint.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still think the Turn X's feet look grossly out of proportion with the rest of it, and that's a shame because every other bit of it I completely love. I ever get into Master Grades, that thing is getting kitbashed so hard.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm genuinely surprised that the Norn is an online exclusive really, I didn't really want one but I do like it better then the OVA ver. (I don't like the funnel-rifle thing)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG Norn Destroy is coming out at the same time, so Bandai doesn't want to cannibalize their sales. It's also 90% the same as the original MG Banshee/Armed Armor DE, so they can get away with a webshop exclusive. Contrast FA Unicorn where all of the new weapons were like eight runners.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The banshee norn looks super retarded but the fact that the hg has the beam jitte like the gp-01 is really funny

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually would not be surprised at all if in a month or two (Unicorn 7 spoilers) MG Banshee Norn with green psychoframe gets announced for general release.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually would not be surprised at all if in a month or two (Unicorn 7 spoilers) MG Banshee Norn Destroy Mode with green psychoframe gets announced for general release.

This is basically what I'm holding out hope for. That being said, though they did release a green psychoframe version a while ago under the name "Last Battle Version" with gold-plated parts and whatnot, so who knows?

Not like I care, I'll probably still get it because I need to complete my whole Unicorn collection. :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That one was literally just a recolor of normal MG Unicorn with a different v-fin though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

That one was literally just the normal MG Unicorn colored black and with a different v-fin though.

It did come with conversion parts to turn it into the OVA version, with the differently shaped mouthplate and gold collar and so on. And by the looks of things in the trailer, it does look like at least the Unicorn and probably even the Norn will just start ditching weapons until it's just the suits duking it out.

I hope they do, because I do think it looks cooler, but it's Bandai so who knows.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BlitzBlast posted:

Also thank god I started this FA ZZ project because

I wouldn't be able to resist dropping down $75 otherwise. :shepface:

I saw that on gundam guy today and that was the first thought I had, that if you weren't working on that lovely one you'd probably be ordering the robot damashii right about now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's true, I am the biggest sucker for the FA ZZ. :negative:

Also some of my orders came in today. I should probably get some pictures up.

EDIT: Here we go.

Wasn't sure what to expect with the Metal Gear (I think that's their name) "RG" Hyper Mega Launcher, but I was certain it wouldn't actually be anywhere close to an actual RG kit. And I was right, it's quite literally the MG Zeta 2.0's HML scaled down. Dunno if it's actually compatible with the RG Zeta yet, but I'll be able to check soon.

The BTF box was pretty beat up, but all of the runners were fine. Effect parts are really cool (and I think I can use some of the leftovers from the sheet for my HG Nu!), and the funnels look neat. Two flaws: no silver stickers for the psychoframe, and the coloring matches the classic Nu orange instead of the vKa's golden yellow. Nothing a little paint won't fix though.

Also they don't give you extra arms to display the funnels with so I guess it'd be off to Gentei Kits if I actually gave a poo poo about displaying everything.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 22, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've done a lot of studying up, and making an rear end of myself in the thread, I think I'm ready to stick my neck out again with a "what did I gently caress up this time" post.

I'm considering grabbing the regular Build Strike (Full Package, not Star Build) as my first 1/144 HG Gunpla, since it's only like $15ish before shipping depending on where I look. That, or the Wing Gundam Fenice. It's been years since I watched any Gundam series, and remember very little, but GBF is goofy as gently caress and I love it. (Aside from that, I'm also maybe considering eventually grabbing the Kotobukiya Alteisen Riese (since the regular Alteisen is now a goddamn treasure) once I'm in a position to drop $50 on a plastic robot toy in a month or two.)

Toolwise, I'm thinking I'll run to Wal-Mart or a hobby store and start with the Xuron 410s, a capped X-Acto knife, a mechanical pencil (0.3 lead), some Future, and a can or two of Testors Dullcoat. Figure that should be enough to start me off, if I sand very carefully with the metal file on my nail clippers.

All in all, looks like I'll be getting in with my first kit and decent tools for, like, $40-60 depending on where I buy and how patient or impatient I am about getting the model I want. Is that a decent way/place to start, or am I falling into some giant idiot trap? I know they look fine "out of the box", and I could technically just buy the kit and use my toenail clippers as my only tool, but... :shrug: I like how matte looks, and it was payday today, so I feel like spending a few bucks on plastic space robot toys.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 22, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's a decent way to start, but you definitely want to think about how you're going to hold your pieces while you flat coat them. The usual method is to get a styrofoam block, stick something like this in them, and put your parts on top. And while you're shopping on Amazon maybe pick up some actual sanding tools, they really do make a difference.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Leper Colon V posted:

I've done a lot of studying up, and making an rear end of myself in the thread, I think I'm ready to stick my neck out again with a "what did I gently caress up this time" post.

I'm considering grabbing the regular Build Strike as my first 1/144 HG Gunpla, since it's only like $15ish before shipping depending on where I look. That, or the Wing Gundam Fenice. It's been years since I watched any Gundam series, and remember very little, but GBF is goofy as gently caress and I love it. (Aside from that, I'm also maybe considering eventually grabbing the Kotobukiya Alteisen Riese (since the regular Alteisen is now a goddamn treasure) once I'm in a position to drop $50 on a plastic robot toy in a month or two.)

Toolwise, I'm thinking I'll run to Wal-Mart or a hobby store and start with the Xuron 410s, a capped X-Acto knife, a mechanical pencil (0.3 lead), some Future, and a can or two of Testors Dullcoat. Figure that should be enough to start me off, if I sand very carefully with the metal file on my nail clippers.

All in all, looks like I'll be getting in with my first kit and decent tools for, like, $40-60 depending on where I buy and how patient or impatient I am about getting the model I want. Is that a decent way/place to start, or am I falling into some giant idiot trap? I know they look fine "out of the box", and I could technically just buy the kit and use my toenail clippers as my only tool, but... :shrug: I like how matte looks, and it was payday today, so I feel like spending a few bucks on plastic space robot toys.

dont use the back of your nail clippers. Invest like $2 in some fine grit sandpaper and glue it to anything solid.

You can always build now and matte coat stuff later.

Where are you located?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seconding the sandpaper thing - get some wet-dry sheets in #600, #800 and #1000 grit at least, they will last you a fairly long time.

Get as many extra knife blades as you can comfortably afford. Bulk packs are generally cheaper.

Dullcote is kind of an iffy product. Test it first on your empty runners to make sure it won't frost the plastic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

That's a decent way to start, but you definitely want to think about how you're going to hold your pieces while you flat coat them. The usual method is to get a styrofoam block, stick something like this in them, and put your parts on top.

Fauxtool posted:

You can always build now and matte coat stuff later.
I'm confused, these posts seem to contradict each other. I thought you had to matte coat each piece individually, or at least each major part/section. Isn't taking a GunPla apart a tricky and potentially damaging process?

BlitzBlast posted:

And while you're shopping on Amazon maybe pick up some actual sanding tools, they really do make a difference.

Fauxtool posted:

dont use the back of your nail clippers. Invest like $2 in some fine grit sandpaper and glue it to anything solid.
Get some actual sandpaper, got it.

Fauxtool posted:

Where are you located?
About 30 minutes from Cumberland, MD.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

The Leper Colon V posted:

Isn't taking a GunPla apart a tricky and potentially damaging process?

For MG or RG I'd say it's probably not advisable. HG is generally a lot simpler in every way, but the parts fit is still likely to be really tight unless you modify all the snap points before assembly (which is totally not fun and not always great for the integrity of the model either.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it really depends on the kit. The only way to know is to have a little bit of experience under your belt and the kit in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can disassemble down to major components only. Separate where there is a polycap. Head, Shoulder, Arm, Chest, Backpack, Hips, Leg, Foot, Weapons. All those pieces come apart easily with no stress. You shouldnt need to do any more than that except with PGs or particularly complex MGs like Unicorn.

• Locked thread