Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Davincie posted:

I posted it in the surreal daily life manga thread but its probably better here. Shoujo about a girl vampire from Korea. It has bullying, racism, romance. All the usual stuff. Despite what kissmanga says its also done.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Orange-Marmalade

I thought this was pretty cute :3:
Any more things in this vein that you dudes could recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SennyYak
May 10, 2010
New chapter of Ore Monogatari!

So many good things about this chapter. Yamato's :3: face was adorable. Her friends' reactions are my favorite:

Yamato: "I thought I was going to die..."
Friends: :aaa:
Yamato: "But since I was with Takeo-kun, I felt safe!"
Friends: :blush:
Yamato: "There was a wild boar, though..."
Friends: :confused:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Pretty much died laughing that chapter, one of the funnier things I've read in a while

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The art is amazing at conveying comedy, yeah.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
His parents are great. :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

You guys read the crossover it had with some other manga?
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/ore-ride-r9366

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Ahh, the author of Ore Monogatari also wrote a couple series I liked

High School Debut (52 Chapters), about a sporty girl who tries to get a boyfriend in high school with the help of a coach.
Tomodachi no Hanashi (The Secret of Friendship, 3 chapters), about a popular girl who won't go out with anyone who doesn't put her best friend first.

edit:

Davincie posted:

I read through Ao Haru Ride a few months ago but haven't kept up with it. It's getting an anime, though!

It's about a girl who was popular with boys in middle school who tries to stand out less so she can make girl friends, but she meets the boy she liked in middle school who transferred away.

Same author as Strobe Edge (which was pretty generic I guess)

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 9, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blhue posted:

You've described 70% of shoujo right there.

Yeah, a lot of shoujo is clearly aimed at girls who are too young to have any real relationship experience, so it pushes this really distorted ideal where the guys behave in ways that, in real life, would indicate that they're stalkers or something (only it's supposed to be romantic for some reason). It's like the female version of harem manga.

edit: Actually, "the female version of harem manga" is a kind of bad comparison, since female harem manga actually exists. Most romance manga aimed at males is pretty bad about portraying relationships in an equally strange, unrealistic way, though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

jackofarcades posted:

Ahh, the author of Ore Monogatari also wrote a couple series I liked

High School Debut (52 Chapters), about a sporty girl who tries to get a boyfriend in high school with the help of a coach.
Tomodachi no Hanashi (The Secret of Friendship, 3 chapters), about a popular girl who won't go out with anyone who doesn't put her best friend first.

edit:

I read through Ao Haru Ride a few months ago but haven't kept up with it. It's getting an anime, though!

It's about a girl who was popular with boys in middle school who tries to stand out less so she can make girl friends, but she meets the boy she liked in middle school who transferred away.

Same author as Strobe Edge (which was pretty generic I guess)

I've read High School Debut and enjoyed the earlier parts but it didn't deliver as well near the end to me. Not sure why, it's been years since I've read it. Now the second one, I'm reading right now and wow, I love the great emphasis on friendship; like it actually STICKS. :allears:

Ao Haru Ride is kind of generic shoujo too in my opinion.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, a lot of shoujo is clearly aimed at girls who are too young to have any real relationship experience, so it pushes this really distorted ideal where the guys behave in ways that, in real life, would indicate that they're stalkers or something (only it's supposed to be romantic for some reason). It's like the female version of harem manga.

edit: Actually, "the female version of harem manga" is a kind of bad comparison, since female harem manga actually exists. Most romance manga aimed at males is pretty bad about portraying relationships in an equally strange, unrealistic way, though.

Yeah but that poo poo happens everywhere. Twilight is an obvious example. I mean this even happens in more adult stories. Rich, powerful, tall dark and tsundere men who are possessive and more than a little rapey.

The other common tropes being "shy/plain girl who wins the heart of the hot guy" and "supposedly strong female lead who constantly has to be rescued."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

oh my god :laffo:

Every shoujo male lead needs to have Takeo's personality. Seeing his facial expressions on the other guy was priceless.

I've been reading Ao Haru Ride and can only imagine how unsatisfying the anime is gonna be.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

SennyYak posted:

New chapter of Ore Monogatari!

So many good things about this chapter. Yamato's :3: face was adorable. Her friends' reactions are my favorite:

Yamato: "I thought I was going to die..."
Friends: :aaa:
Yamato: "But since I was with Takeo-kun, I felt safe!"
Friends: :blush:
Yamato: "There was a wild boar, though..."
Friends: :confused:

I somehow wasn't aware of this manga, but reading the page this spoiler references convinced me to rectify that. The first time I saw it, though (perhaps because of a lack of context), I had forgotten that dying can be a euphemism for orgasming in Japanese. Oh my. No wonder the friends' exaggerated reactions.

SennyYak
May 10, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I somehow wasn't aware of this manga, but reading the page this spoiler references convinced me to rectify that. The first time I saw it, though (perhaps because of a lack of context), I had forgotten that dying can be a euphemism for orgasming in Japanese. Oh my. No wonder the friends' exaggerated reactions.

Oh, wow, I didn't realize that. That makes it even better!

The thing I like most about Ore Monogatari is that the leads get together pretty quickly, and from then on it's about their relationship growing. Kind of reminds me of Bonnouji in that respect.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I thought it was a big dick joke.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SennyYak posted:

Oh, wow, I didn't realize that. That makes it even better!

The thing I like most about Ore Monogatari is that the leads get together pretty quickly, and from then on it's about their relationship growing. Kind of reminds me of Bonnouji in that respect.

My favorite part is the low-detail surprise faces, especially Yamato's.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I probably originally heard about from this thread, but I just found that I had the Hotarubi no Mori e movie downloaded and gave it a watch. It was delightful, if melancholy. I don't mind sad endings, though, so that didn't hinder my enjoyment of it. I loved the Natsume Yuujinchou feeling of it. Gin's voice sounded so much like Natsume's that I had to check twice to make certain it wasn't the same guy.

I highly recommend y'all give it a watch.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What's a good shoujo manga with a lot of despair, loneliness and soul-searching?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you looking for a romance with those aspects, or just a series in general? I don't know of much shoujo that contains those(and is also good), but if you want a romance with all of the above, you can't go wrong with Ai-Ren. Keep in mind this is not the thing to read if you yourself are in that sort of mindset, though. There's also Octave which is about a failed Idol who has no path in life and is fairly traumatized after moving to the city, and meets this interesting woman at the laundromat.

For actual shoujo, the only one I can think of is Sand Chronicles. A young girl moves with her mother to her hometown in the mountains. Bad things happen. It's the story of her life as she grows up, and spans a good amount of her lifetime. It deals with trauma and grief pretty well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
14-sai no Koi is back with more creepy predatory teacher :stonk:

Are we really supposed to be reading this like it is a legit romance and not super gross? I'm not spoiler-tagging because heads up: this chapter is all Nagai and the teacher.

fake edit: ugh I scrolled down to the comments on the main page and people are seriously calling this bullshit cute and trying to rationalize it.

I was struck while reading it how Nagai acting out is actually pretty realistic. That is a hosed up kid whose isolation contributed to him being an easy target, and being victimized also serves to alienate him further. I could almost read it like a serious take on the consequences and reality of the stupid "romance with teacher" trope and would want to see some serious repercussions for the teacher (like I dunno, JAIL) but I'm sure there will be a timeskip at the end where they get married. :suicide:

I'll probably continue to read it just for the trainwreck factor and because I genuinely like the other plotline, but I will never recommend this manga to anyone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This author's done a work before about a legit love affair between a middle schooler and an adult. I've read it, and it's kind of creepy! The kid in that one is kind of creepily precocious, and it ends with them getting married when he turns 18 or something.

So...yes, you're meant to take this as a legit romance.

Yes, it's still pretty drat gross.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not surprised since there's clearly an audience for it, probably full of people who also like the end of Usagi Drop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm not surprised since there's clearly an audience for it, probably full of people who also like the end of Usagi Drop.

As if to poo poo on you while you're mad, the next chapter(side chapter, really) is also about a kid falling for an older woman.

It is a drat shame, really, the series was so cute before when it focused on the main two characters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's always a market for "forbidden romance," and the teacher-student thing manages to be a bit illicit without drawing too much fire.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hot For Teacher, am I right guys?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah but that poo poo happens everywhere. Twilight is an obvious example. I mean this even happens in more adult stories. Rich, powerful, tall dark and tsundere men who are possessive and more than a little rapey.

The other common tropes being "shy/plain girl who wins the heart of the hot guy" and "supposedly strong female lead who constantly has to be rescued."

"Too young to have any real relationship experience" can also be 30; depends on the person!

You're more or less right (and it's certainly not something specific to shoujo/Japan), though I think that it does come in different degrees and that stuff as bad as Twilight or your average shoujo (which are basically cut from the same thread) are rarely enjoyed (at least openly) by older, well-adjusted people.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Invictus posted:

As if to poo poo on you while you're mad, the next chapter(side chapter, really) is also about a kid falling for an older woman.

It is a drat shame, really, the series was so cute before when it focused on the main two characters.

See, I'm of the mind that taboo topics like this are legitimate fodder for serious storytelling... IF they're treated with the gravity that such topics deserve, exploring the consequences that would certainly occur, rather than just using them for titillation and pandering to a specific fetish audience. I'm entirely certain that the vast, vast majority of these stories fall into the latter category.

This one has at least shown the adult in this scenario having some internal conflict (and maybe a warning from another adult or two? It's been a while). But I suspect he's going for more of a forbidden "oh their love is so sweet let's all cheer them on" tone here, which yeah, is pretty much creepy. At least it's fairly disconnected from the main storyline, which makes it skip-over-able.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The side chapter wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be since it ended before they interacted in any meaningful way. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wouldn't call the stuff this author does titillation, really. It doesn't seem meant that way. She just seems to find it legit romantic for some reason. But titillation is not what you get from 14-Sai or her other stuff.

I don't know if that's better, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mors Rattus posted:

I wouldn't call the stuff this author does titillation, really. It doesn't seem meant that way. She just seems to find it legit romantic for some reason. But titillation is not what you get from 14-Sai or her other stuff.

I don't know if that's better, though.

Yeah it's not titillation in this case, but it remains to be seen if the author is going to really explore the consequences of such a relationship, or simply pay them lip service.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

You're more or less right (and it's certainly not something specific to shoujo/Japan), though I think that it does come in different degrees and that stuff as bad as Twilight or your average shoujo (which are basically cut from the same thread) are rarely enjoyed (at least openly) by older, well-adjusted people.

Found the new thread title.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The side chapter is kind of a prequel to that other series Mors Rattus mentioned, Game Over

Edit. I've been around plenty of fourteen year old boys. I was even one myself for about a year. I have no idea how anyone, especially an adult, would ever want to date a fourteen year old boy. Mostly I just end up wanting to punch them.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 12, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jackofarcades posted:

So I read this one and I found out there's actually a few sequels out there. There's a Enren Debut one-shot that's been translated, but there's also two sequel volumes that haven't been translated yet. http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/256957-Volume-14-released-25-03-2011
The scans are out there, so I guess if someone here knows a translator please translate this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

The side chapter is kind of a prequel to that other series Mors Rattus mentioned, Game Over

Edit. I've been around plenty of fourteen year old boys. I was even one myself for about a year. I have no idea how anyone, especially an adult, would ever want to date a fourteen year old boy. Mostly I just end up wanting to punch them.

Teenage girls are also completely insufferable, but they get idealized all the time. Same thing, really.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Teenage girls are also completely insufferable, but they get idealized all the time. Same thing, really.

They can be a little better but I understand the appeal there is mostly because of hosed up societal programming.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

New Chapters!

Horimiya 31
Kimi ni Todoke 87

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
KnT seems to be treading water a bit here. It's been in an obvious endgame spin for a while which is fine, but I'm getting a little antsy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Back to back double posts, but it was announced that Ah! My Goddess will be ending in April. I knew that it pretty much had to be the case given how the current arc has gone. 25 years is a hell of a run. As it was the first manga I ever started reading I'll always have some fond memories for it, and all in all I can't say I am disappointed in the way it's wrapping up.

The last chapter I read was 304 (which wast just released) but I don't know how far behind the good scanlators are. So anywhere from 1-3 more chapters I suppose. E: Apparently 308 will be the last one.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 21, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Ah! My Goddess will be ending in April.

I've never read any of it. Would you recommend smashing through it once the final chapter is out? What's it about?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sure, I'd recommend it. I think it's a good series! Most of the characters are pretty memorable, the comedy is lighthearted and fun, and the artwork (eventually) grows into one of the prettiest I've ever seen. At same time I fully admit I am a bit biased about it, and that you have to really understand the context it was made in. While AMG was far from the first magical girlfriend or romantic comedy, in many ways it set the template from which a lot of series would follow. So coming at it fresh in 2014 might showcase it as being unoriginal. The artwork is also sort of hilariously 80s and maybe even kind of bad in the first couple of volumes. Belldandy frequently has shoulder pads, for crying out loud. Maybe it's kind of charming though.

The rather simple premise was that the main character (Keiichi) accidentally winds up in a contract with a goddess to live with him. So they get together and ~wacky antics~ ensue. Despite the fact that the two main characters get together almost instantly, the main criticism of the story was always that they were never physically intimate. Kousuke Fujishima just never seemed that interested in going in that direction, and instead seemed to believe that it was "good enough" that they were together in the first place and thus focused most of his attention on the misadventures of the cast. As a side note, as Fujishima is a automotive and motorcycle junkie, so races are often used as backdrops for some of the stories.

One thing that I found kind of interesting looking back is that Fujishima's seemingly chaste nature makes AMG seem so much more tame in the fanservice department compared to modern series. Gotta have sex to sell today. Just about the whole cast are college students or older as well, which would be unheard of today in a romantic comedy.

As you might imagine the series got a few anime adaptations, the most well known of which is probably the 5 episode OVA. I also rather liked the movie. The TV series which is actually sort of recent was kind of lackluster IMO, because they went out of their way to make Belldandy dumber than a sack of bricks for some reason.

All in all, it was a fun series that I've read throughout much of my teenage and adult life. It's been a good ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter for Please Love the Useless Me

I had kinda forgotten what happened in the last chapter, had to go back and re-read the last few pages to remind myself. It got picked up by a new group so hopefully more chapters will be forthcoming.