Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I have a few JetDirect 500Xs still in production. Fuckers have thinnet jacks on them. They are rock solid though, I just keep a spare or two around just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

blackswordca posted:

So a bunch of calls/emails came in.

So Sr tech went to a remote site to setup a new switch and subnet. He set up the new IPs for printers and the like but didn't test access to the RODC/File server. Nobody is able to get connected to the file server even with the new DNS settings. He never made note of the servers new IP and never checked what the IP for the VM host that's down there so I have no access to the hardware myself at the moment.

After this we have 4 more sites to do, this should be fun month.

You mean you're not telepathic? Please explain this :colbert:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

oops.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

blackswordca posted:

So Sr tech went to a remote site to setup a new switch and subnet. He set up the new IPs for printers and the like but didn't test access to the RODC/File server. Nobody is able to get connected to the file server even with the new DNS settings. He never made note of the servers new IP and never checked what the IP for the VM host that's down there so I have no access to the hardware myself at the moment.

After this we have 4 more sites to do, this should be fun month.

I mean, I've been following your saga for a while now, but how is this "sr" "tech" still employed there? And yes, I know about the style of "management" you have to deal with, so I guess it's not a surprise really.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

While I initially shared your optimism and delight, there are a couple of issues we've run into. Their v3 firmware has been in beta for more than a year now and while mostly solid seems to have some problems, and the expensive (well for UBNT) AC APs seem to have a LOT of problems. We've been sticking to the Pros and not seen a lot of issues, other than one client in SF which has huge wireless interference from all around and where the users were insisting on always being on wireless everywhere (i.e. not plugging in at their desks).

Also, the fact that the controller doesn't do SNMP and the APs only do basic SNMP v1 and don't seem to offer the stats on clients / traffic through SNMP is rather annoying for an "enterprise" system.

All that said, it's dead simple to setup, the controller can be installed in two seconds (though if installing as a Windows service, they STILL don't have it working with 64-bit Java so make sure you install 32-bit Java because the setup program by default installs 64-bit Java, and while the controller will start when you manually run it like that, it won't launch the service properly), and the power and range of the things is pretty goddamn impressive.

We've also set up AirVision and use a LOT of their PoE ToughSwitches, and the capabilities of their NVR software and cameras are pretty fantastic for the price, and the switches do what we need without a lot of screwing around. So all in all, I like them a lot, but I wish they'd fix the last little bits and release software faster.

Are the problems with the AC APs bad enough that you wouldn't recommend one for home use? I'm planning to upgrade from my existing Linksys WRT54GL and I was planning to Ubiquiti (for ego gratification and power user madness) and get the AC model (because I assumed it would be faster with AC clients).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are the problems with the AC APs bad enough that you wouldn't recommend one for home use? I'm planning to upgrade from my existing Linksys WRT54GL and I was planning to Ubiquiti (for ego gratification and power user madness) and get the AC model (because I assumed it would be faster with AC clients).

We actually haven't gotten any of the AC APs, initially because of cost and availability (when we were originally looking at them they were "almost out" and "almost released!" and "just a few more weeks guys!" and then cost $900 each), and then because the more we see in the UBNT forums the more it seems like the AC APs have the majority of stability problems etc. And you can get a three pack of AP-Pros for the cost of one AP-AC. So I can't give you any direct experience, but I would advise checking the forums (join the beta program so you can check the beta forums and read all about v3 firmware) and from what I've seen, at least right now, the issues seem to be pretty severe with the ACs.

That said, we're having issues with the Pros as well right now at a client on v3 (v3.1.6 at the moment, went back to that from 3.1.9 because it seemed more stable), and we may be downgrading all those APs (11 of them) to 2.4.6 to see if it resolves the problems. That client has other issues as well, 30 mbps connection for a 120 person office where all those users are heavy cloud users of all sorts (Dropbox, Spotify, the company's own products, Google Apps, Skype, Lifesize videoconference - yeah, 30 mbps just isn't cutting it).

Basically, at the price point they're at UBNT is the only reasonable choice, but they have enough issues and have generated enough worries about reliability to me that I'm much less bullish on them than I used to be. It's that old thing about Cisco - they cost a shitload and certain trains are very sketchy sometimes, but others (12.2(52-58 or so) seem to just go and go and go, and we never worry about them. So far, the UBNTs at least in this one really demanding environment have generated more worry than any other wireless solution we've used (we have them in a fair number of other environments without issues however), and are really making us rethink pushing Aruba or Ruckus for this kind of usage.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A ticket came in, the user gets popups from outlook for their password, remote to the computer and everything works. This is reproducible as long as I'm not viewing the screen. OWA works, outlook is cursed.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

lampey posted:

A ticket came in, the user gets popups from outlook for their password, remote to the computer and everything works. This is reproducible as long as I'm not viewing the screen. OWA works, outlook is cursed.

If windows 7 Start>control panel>Credential manager. Might have an old password stuck in there if the computer has been offsite for a while.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If windows 7 Start>control panel>Credential manager. Might have an old password stuck in there if the computer has been offsite for a while.

Usually the case. I have seen upwards of 15+ entries for outlook for a single user before.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
From a co-worker:

Customer contacted in with what he belived was a bad display port. He had tried 2 monitors with no video. Co-worker was ready to start working on getting a replacement card when the customer came back and found he had 2 dead monitors instead.

What are the odds of that?

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

lampey posted:

Not sure if the phenomenon that occurred at my second-to-last company applies here, but try:
1. The login for Outlook, use domain\username and the user's password. Should allow them to log in.
2. The cause of this problem at that company was when the load balancer switched between Exchange servers, it forced a re-authenticate. Use that info as you will.

Outlook us probably cursed though.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Lightning Jim posted:

From a co-worker:

Customer contacted in with what he belived was a bad display port. He had tried 2 monitors with no video. Co-worker was ready to start working on getting a replacement card when the customer came back and found he had 2 dead monitors instead.

What are the odds of that?
If they were on the same busted surge protector/power circuit, pretty decent.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Santa is strapped posted:

how is this "sr" "tech" still employed there?

:gooncamp:

I've been enjoying convincing my new clients to make everyone's lives easier by moving to leased lines. 100/100 is under £500 a month in most of the places on my list without really pushing. Makes a nice change from having to deal with £350 for 10/10. A grand buys you a gigabit.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 20, 2014

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
A ticket came in, turns out the SIP provider in our Hawaii office is having yet another outage (at least once a month for up to 24 hours). The new PRI circuit can't come soon enough.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A call came in.

A newly imaged device can't join an HA pair. It's a bug. I provide a workaround.

It joins the pair, but fucks up the heartbeat crypto settings somehow causing split brain. I fix that. It's still split brain. Reboot. The HA daemon no longer starts on the secondary. The primary no longer thinks it's part of a cluster either.

I suspect it's core dumping or having catastrophic hardware issues/NIC driver bugs, but it's a classified network and they can't send us any logs, cores, or anything really. gently caress this gay earth.

On the other hand, I am not the case owner! Someone else's problem!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

There's a guy on my team who will whine about not having time and being too busy to work on something whenever you assign him a case.

Which is weird considering we can compare people's case counts and he has the same number as everyone else who aren't constantly whining about being given work.

It's hilarious when he's given something urgent and he'll raise a big hissy fit about not having time to do it, sometimes he'll just blatantly say he won't work on it for a while and get real bitter at the fact that he was assigned it

I'm just waiting for the day when one of these urgent things ends up not being done in time and pissing someone off enough that he has to explain why he's not doing anything about the work he's being given.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

lampey posted:

I had some absolutely insane rendering glitches in Microstation after upgrading to Windows 7. Our CADD guy remoted into my computer and all the problems instantly went away. My first reaction was "someone is gaslighting me" because the coincidence was too perfect.

The screen-sharing software disables Aero when someone remotes in. Turning Aero off fixed the problem permanently.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

piratepilates posted:

There's a guy on my team who will whine about not having time and being too busy to work on something whenever you assign him a case.

Which is weird considering we can compare people's case counts and he has the same number as everyone else who aren't constantly whining about being given work.

It's hilarious when he's given something urgent and he'll raise a big hissy fit about not having time to do it, sometimes he'll just blatantly say he won't work on it for a while and get real bitter at the fact that he was assigned it

I'm just waiting for the day when one of these urgent things ends up not being done in time and pissing someone off enough that he has to explain why he's not doing anything about the work he's being given.

In all seriousness: sounds like the guy is stressed out and doesn't know how to handle it properly. I know I act that way when I am, but I'm usually able to catch myself before I start being an rear end like that.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

scroogle nmaps posted:

A call came in.

A newly imaged device can't join an HA pair. It's a bug. I provide a workaround.

It joins the pair, but fucks up the heartbeat crypto settings somehow causing split brain. I fix that. It's still split brain. Reboot. The HA daemon no longer starts on the secondary. The primary no longer thinks it's part of a cluster either.

I suspect it's core dumping or having catastrophic hardware issues/NIC driver bugs, but it's a classified network and they can't send us any logs, cores, or anything really. gently caress this gay earth.

On the other hand, I am not the case owner! Someone else's problem!

Split brain... You're making me paranoid here. You have created a rouge AI. We're all gonna die! :tinfoil:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RadicalR posted:

Split brain... You're making me paranoid here. You have created a rouge AI. We're all gonna die! :tinfoil:

Sentient makeup. My god. :aaa:

it's "rogue"

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

President Ark posted:

Sentient makeup. My god. :aaa:

it's "rogue"

It's a new type of terror!

Actually, that's pretty scary if you think about it... Most women use makeup...
Suddenly, all of them get brainjacked by AIs.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Lightning Jim posted:

In all seriousness: sounds like the guy is stressed out and doesn't know how to handle it properly. I know I act that way when I am, but I'm usually able to catch myself before I start being an rear end like that.

Yep. If you are in a position of authority, talk to him. If you aren't, talk to whoever is. He may just be stressed/freaking out about it, and panicking, and then poo poo just goes south. I've been in that place before, and its not fun. Fortunately it was new-job jitters and in a few weeks I managed to break myself out of it, but not everyone can. Maybe there's something basic to the job he just doesn't grok. These things need to be brought up, one way or another though.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
When I got back from a meeting I had a padded envelope waiting for me at my desk. Inside was a heavily used iPhone, a charger, a cable, and the headset. Everything was filthy, greasy and randomly smeared with something thin and brown that had crept into every little nook and cranny.

When I checked the IMEI I saw it was assigned to one of our photographers, one I haven't seen in a while. I asked around, no one knew when the phone had landed on my desk. I asked the girls in the reception since they know everything about people in the company, and they told me he got back from a travel assignment a few days ago and should be around.

..he was around allright, in the local hospital being checked over because of a near miss roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Apparently that brown stuff on the phone is blood splatters from him and/or the persons next to him.

Hand sanitizer is a wonderful thing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Crowley posted:

When I got back from a meeting I had a padded envelope waiting for me at my desk. Inside was a heavily used iPhone, a charger, a cable, and the headset. Everything was filthy, greasy and randomly smeared with something thin and brown that had crept into every little nook and cranny.

When I checked the IMEI I saw it was assigned to one of our photographers, one I haven't seen in a while. I asked around, no one knew when the phone had landed on my desk. I asked the girls in the reception since they know everything about people in the company, and they told me he got back from a travel assignment a few days ago and should be around.

..he was around allright, in the local hospital being checked over because of a near miss roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Apparently that brown stuff on the phone is blood splatters from him and/or the persons next to him.

Holy poo poo :gonk: Make sure that equipment goes into bio-hazard dispersal. I take it you don't have a mail department?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Crowley posted:

Why does this get delivered to you without a loving hazmat sticker on it?!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pfft that's a hardly a speculum bucket

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

pfft that's a hardly a speculum bucket

THANK YOU, I've been driving myself crazy for the last few minutes trying to remember the word that went with bucket.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

Crowley posted:

As a fellow dane I must say that I love your stories, it makes me feel better about paying for you guys. Hopefully he gets fixed up just fine and will be back in (not so much) action soon.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
ahhh I shall bitch about the tickets of my user I have dubbed "hpc woman", months back she put in a request asking if I had a power computer to spare to do some calculations, worked out with a professor to use his 16 core/128gb ram computational node, she talked to another person whom told me doing the job on that system would take roughly 5 months.

I hooked her up with the cluster group which had something flat nasty (but it ran linux!) they got her hooked up, her programs installed, helped optimize her code for the cluster, then she ran screaming that it wouldn't run in linux (lie!) so she comes back to me asking for a machine.

I give her one, a lovely pentiumD running win7x64 with a scatching 1gb of ram.

She asks for another one, you know how windows 7 requires a certain amount of ram. . . well with trickery you can get it running on a single vcpu vm with 512mb of ram.

Wonder how long it's gonna take to run now?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

enotnert posted:

ahhh I shall bitch about the tickets of my user I have dubbed "hpc woman", months back she put in a request asking if I had a power computer to spare to do some calculations, worked out with a professor to use his 16 core/128gb ram computational node, she talked to another person whom told me doing the job on that system would take roughly 5 months.

I hooked her up with the cluster group which had something flat nasty (but it ran linux!) they got her hooked up, her programs installed, helped optimize her code for the cluster, then she ran screaming that it wouldn't run in linux (lie!) so she comes back to me asking for a machine.

I give her one, a lovely pentiumD running win7x64 with a scatching 1gb of ram.

She asks for another one, you know how windows 7 requires a certain amount of ram. . . well with trickery you can get it running on a single vcpu vm with 512mb of ram.

Wonder how long it's gonna take to run now?
Have you probed into asking her why it wouldn't work on linux? Or told her that this thing won't finish running within her lifetime?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
A month or so ago, after the initial Subnet change at the main office, one of the remote RODC's wasn't replicating to the primary DC. I spent a few days banging my head against the problem and made no headway so I escalated the issue. They ended up assigning it to the other Jr tech n the account, he looked at it for 20 minutes, retried one or two of the things I did and started doing further "research"

I don't think he touched it after the fact as the server cant be logged into anymore with the error "there are no login servers available"

Client isn't very happy right now since this is the same site where their old RODC was accidentally recycled.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

KoRMaK posted:

Have you probed into asking her why it wouldn't work on linux? Or told her that this thing won't finish running within her lifetime?

One does not ask a "computer scientist" why something you know will work, will not work according to them.

They get frustrated, and start whining, and it's easier to just passively aggressively punish them.

Naksu
Jul 22, 2007
I took these pictures today. One of the Vectras has a note saying "OK 12.2.2004." I would like to know what part of a Pentium 166mhz was "ok" in 2004.

:fuckoff:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

A month or so ago, after the initial Subnet change at the main office, one of the remote RODC's wasn't replicating to the primary DC. I spent a few days banging my head against the problem and made no headway so I escalated the issue. They ended up assigning it to the other Jr tech n the account, he looked at it for 20 minutes, retried one or two of the things I did and started doing further "research"

I don't think he touched it after the fact as the server cant be logged into anymore with the error "there are no login servers available"

Client isn't very happy right now since this is the same site where their old RODC was accidentally recycled.

You should still be able to remote in with the local admin account even on a DC. Troubleshooting DC's are always tedious, but when all else fails its always best to demote and promote (with a cleanup of that dc in ad as well). Considering how far along you are in this mess that's what I would do.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Sickening posted:

You should still be able to remote in with the local admin account even on a DC. Troubleshooting DC's are always tedious, but when all else fails its always best to demote and promote (with a cleanup of that dc in ad as well). Considering how far along you are in this mess that's what I would do.

I was always under the impression that when a server was promoted to a DC that the local account was disabled

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Naksu posted:

I took these pictures today. One of the Vectras has a note saying "OK 12.2.2004." I would like to know what part of a Pentium 166mhz was "ok" in 2004.

:fuckoff:

:ohdear: That poor 486 has so many errors, poor thing. You must nurse it back to health.

Naksu
Jul 22, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

:ohdear: That poor 486 has so many errors, poor thing. You must nurse it back to health.

All of them work aside from the one 486SX. We checked. Yes, really.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

I was always under the impression that when a server was promoted to a DC that the local account was disabled

Technically yes. I think anything 2008 and above though should keep the administrator account active for ADRM mode though. I swear I have used it before in the past to login through RDP using the .\administrator username.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Naksu posted:

One of the Vectras has a note saying "OK 12.2.2004." I would like to know what part of a Pentium 166mhz was "ok" in 2004.

It powers up, it's ok.

Somewhere around then, I still had one of those around to run old DOS games. Then a friend and I went a little crazy and stuffed a 300mhz K6-2, 128 megs of ram and a ps/2 mouse port breakout board in it. Plus a full-length Soundblaster. It's probably still at my mom's, I should see if I can get some pictures this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Potato Alley posted:

While I initially shared your optimism and delight, there are a couple of issues we've run into. Their v3 firmware has been in beta for more than a year now and while mostly solid seems to have some problems, and the expensive (well for UBNT) AC APs seem to have a LOT of problems. We've been sticking to the Pros and not seen a lot of issues, other than one client in SF which has huge wireless interference from all around and where the users were insisting on always being on wireless everywhere (i.e. not plugging in at their desks).

Also, the fact that the controller doesn't do SNMP and the APs only do basic SNMP v1 and don't seem to offer the stats on clients / traffic through SNMP is rather annoying for an "enterprise" system.

All that said, it's dead simple to setup, the controller can be installed in two seconds (though if installing as a Windows service, they STILL don't have it working with 64-bit Java so make sure you install 32-bit Java because the setup program by default installs 64-bit Java, and while the controller will start when you manually run it like that, it won't launch the service properly), and the power and range of the things is pretty goddamn impressive.

We've also set up AirVision and use a LOT of their PoE ToughSwitches, and the capabilities of their NVR software and cameras are pretty fantastic for the price, and the switches do what we need without a lot of screwing around. So all in all, I like them a lot, but I wish they'd fix the last little bits and release software faster.

Oh god, only now do I discover this thread exists. So...

I used to be one of the 3 dudes doing tech support for Ubiquiti (I think there are 5 or 6 now), and also doing all the RMA intake and sorting. You have NO CLUE how many complaints we had over the airvision software, because of the lovely planning behind it. The software used to outright loose video because the software and firmware didn't interface properly. We had dozens of complaints from IT/security guys trying to find specific sections of video for theft investigations, and it just wasn't THERE. And we had to constantly make excuses, knowing full well that it wasn't a functional product, because instead of holding off on selling the drat thing and making apollogies and waiting for a fixed version, they just wrote it off and started working on a completely different design with a dedicated NVR machine instead of a NVR that could be installed on an existing computer.

As a note, unless they made any MAJOR changes to the NVR software that runs on a PC in the past 18 months, if you are running it on a PC, get rid of the entire loving system. Now. The legal headaches that will occur if it's used in a business and you suddenly NEED footage is just... argh.

• Locked thread