Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ghostinmyshell posted:

How are you guys dealing with Microsoft Accounts and their integration into Windows 8/Office 2013 at the work place?

with whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ghostinmyshell posted:

How are you guys dealing with Microsoft Accounts and their integration into Windows 8/Office 2013 at the work place?

Ignoring them, since my users do too.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
By putting all the group policies that have something to do with them to NOOOOOOOOOOO

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

peak debt posted:

By putting all the group policies that have something to do with them to NOOOOOOOOOOO

Do you have some links so I could do the same?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For Windows:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831424.aspx

and Office:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj715259(v=office.15).aspx

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Thanks. I just had the store blocked, but people were going nuts because they couldn't update the metro apps.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So, next year's "let's finally get a Windows domain and put all our workstations in AD" project just got bumped to "ASA-motherfucking-P."

I'm a Linux sysadmin and know very little about Windows Server tasks.

How screwed am I, and what can I quickly read in the next two or so weeks to make it less likely that future sysadmins here will want to murder me for screwing things up?

I'm being afforded time to make a test environment first, but I'm only going to get a few weeks to learn my way around it before needing to take a realistic shot at the real thing.

Everything in the building already talks to our LDAP servers, how different could AD be? :stonklol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

McGlockenshire posted:

So, next year's "let's finally get a Windows domain and put all our workstations in AD" project just got bumped to "ASA-motherfucking-P."

How screwed am I, and what can I quickly read in the next two or so weeks to make it less likely that future sysadmins here will want to murder me for screwing things up?

I'm being afforded time to make a test environment first, but I'm only going to get a few weeks to learn my way around it before needing to take a realistic shot at the real thing.

Everything in the building already talks to our LDAP servers, how different could AD be? :stonklol:

Quoting myself from another thread

Docjowles posted:

When I randomly got thrown into the Windows admin deep end, these two books were a huge help. They don't assume advanced knowledge. But from what I remember they don't include any exercises or mini labs like you're talking about, either. They just walk you through the different features and tools, how to use them, troubleshooting etc. I actually learn best the same way as you, by doing. You can always invent projects of your own to lab up, like "set up a basic domain controller and get my Win 7 client VM joined to it. Create a domain user and allow them to log in. Manage some desktop settings by group policy. Create a new DNS zone. Create a DHCP server. Make the client PC use those."

General Windows Server admin and AD basics: Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2
Group Policy specific: Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and the Managed Desktop

Those links are to the latest, 2012 editions. But I'm sure you can find the 2008 editions if you'd rather not get confused by material you won't need.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

McGlockenshire posted:

Aside form the books linked above, DO NOT use .local on your domain name. DO NOT DO THIS.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

I literally only know one person who uses an MS Account with Win 8 and it's not a co-worker.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Aside form the books linked above, DO NOT use .local on your domain name. DO NOT DO THIS.

Why? .local literally could be anything at all, .fart, .goatse, etc. It doesn't matter.

Don't use .com or whatever your external FQDN is unless you're willing to do split DNS. Otherwise go hogwild.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Why? .local literally could be anything at all, .fart, .goatse, etc. It doesn't matter.

Don't use .com or whatever your external FQDN is unless you're willing to do split DNS. Otherwise go hogwild.

I think the big issue for using "internal" names is this:

http://www.digicert.com/internal-names.htm

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Maneki Neko posted:

I think the big issue for using "internal" names is this:

http://www.digicert.com/internal-names.htm

That is why you run your own certificate authority on your network instead of using a third party for internal certs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We really going to do this again?

Use a subdomain of your DNS name. If you are contoso.com make your AD domain ad.contoso.com or corp.contoso.com or .net or .org Do not use fake TLD's.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

.local is also a reserved name for the mDNS protocol, of which OS X is probably the most common user. So there can be Weird poo poo (TM) if you use .local and have Mac clients. Plus internet sperglords will yell at you.

Save yourself the hassle and just create a subdomain of your main, public domain name and use that for AD.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Thanks for the book recommendations!

And yeah, either a subdomain or an unused corporate domain name (we use .com and own .net and .org but do nothing with them) were already planned for use, avoiding .local due to the aforementioned problems... probably read it in one of the ticket threads. We already do a bunch of split zone DNS stuff.

Urk... does Windows Server have to manage DNS and DHCP?

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 18, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fifteen years of managing Active Directory domains (with Macs) and this is all news to me, so :shrug:

edit:

quote:

The connection of Macintosh and Linux computers and/or zeroconf peripherals to Windows networks can be problematic if those networks include name servers that use .local as a search domain for internal devices.

At one time, Microsoft at least suggested the use of .local as a pseudo-TLD for small private networks with internal DNS servers, via documents that (as of this writing) are still accessible. For example, support article 296250[2] included the following option:

Make the name a private domain name that is used for name resolution on the internal Small Business Server network. This name is usually configured with the first-level domain of .local. At the present time, the .local domain name is not registered on the Internet.

However, more recent articles have cautioned or advised against such use of the .local TLD.

Support article 300684[3] listed contoso.local as an example of a "best-practice Active Directory domain name", but then added:

We recommend that you register DNS names for the top-most internal and external DNS namespaces with an Internet registrar.

which would of course preclude using that or any other domain ending with .local.

Technet article 708159[4] suggested .local for the exact opposite reason:

Using the .local label for the full DNS name for the internal domain is a more secure configuration because the .local label is not registered for use on the Internet. This separates your internal domain from your public Internet domain name.

but later recommended against it:

If you have Macintosh client computers that are running the Macintosh OS X version 10.2 operating system or later, … it is recommended that you do not use the .local label for the full DNS name of your internal domain.
If you have Macintosh client computers that are running the Macintosh OS X version 10.3 operating system or later, … it is recommended that you do not use the .local label for the full DNS name of your internal domain. If you must use the .local label, then you must also configure settings on the Macintosh computers so they can discover other computers on the network. For more information about how to configure client computers running Macintosh OS X version 10.3 or later, see “Connecting Macintosh Computers to a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network” on the Microsoft Web site at [1].

Technet article 726016[5] cautioned against using .local:

…we do not recommend using unregistered suffixes, such as .local.

That is actually quite hilarious on Microsoft's part. At any rate, I've manage about 200 clients, all with .local as their Active Directory domain, so there is that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Is the built in wiki software on sharepoint 2013 worth a poo poo?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

Save yourself the hassle and just create a subdomain of your main, public domain name and use that for AD.

Beating the dead horse, but do this. ad.example.com or whatever.

I would kill for the chance to setup a clean brand new domain. The amount of legacy poo poo issues I have came across here is amazing.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
If you use a subdomain there's the problem of naming though. You could call your domain COMPANY and log on as COMPANY\username but then your FQDN is company.company.com which looks stupid. Or you use ad.company.com as FQDN, but then your accounts are AD\username which also looks stupid. Or you could use company.com as the domain, but then your website won't work from internal IPs! You can't win :cry:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Netbios names and the actual domain don't have to be the same.

You can also use UPN suffixes so everyone logs in with their email address as the username.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

peak debt posted:

Or you could use company.com as the domain, but then your website won't work from internal IPs! You can't win :cry:

This is what is currently setup here. As I have discovered, there is a DNS entry for WWW pointing towards our webserver for internal...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
My very first NT->Win2k migration, it was taking forever, so we were going to come back in and finish the setup in the morning. I made the dude I was working with swear up and down not to touch anything until I got there. The next screen was supposed to be the one where we choose our new domain name. He wasn't good with Windows, he was a Novell guy. I'd been studying to do this for weeks and weeks.
I come in the next morning and the migration is complete. He went through and did it. Our new internal domain? apps.company.com. The domain controller also ran some applications for us and was called APPS. I yelled at him for a good 10 minutes. Couldn't really be changed. What a moron.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

McGlockenshire posted:

Urk... does Windows Server have to manage DNS and DHCP?

No. The only reason to do so is to have AD integrated DNS, which replicates records to other servers hosting AD integrated zones. The DC's should register their service records to any DNS zone so long as they have the rights to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't think of a reason not to run DHCP and DNS on Windows servers if you're going to build an AD environment. 2012 does proper HA DHCP, handles dynamic updates etc. If you set it up properly it's very solid and has all the features you're likely to need.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
DHCP doesn't need to be on Windows servers at all, but if you want to do DNS on something other than domain controllers you're signing up to a lifetime subscription to "WHY IS MY LOGON SLOW / WHY ARE MY CERTIFICATES NOT WORKING" tickets.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also you can limit the scope of what Windows handles to just your Windows machines and internal AD records. Then have it forward DNS queries for other zones to another resolver. If you have a zillion DNS records in a BIND instance or whatever and it's working just fine, you don't HAVE to migrate that to Windows. Similar for DHCP; put the workstations off in their own VLAN that can't see your other DHCP server and manage that separately if you want. Although that sounds like a lot of work unless you already have a lot of tooling/automation and whatnot around your existing DHCP infrastructure that you don't want to throw away.

edit: And yeah, you don't HAVE to run DHCP from Windows at all. Getting the automatic DNS record updates from it is neat, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Is the built in wiki software on sharepoint 2013 worth a poo poo?

Depends on who is using it. We usually use MediaWiki/DokuWiki for documentation, Sharepoint for end-user wiki stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Also you can limit the scope of what Windows handles to just your Windows machines and internal AD records.

Yeah this is a good way of doing it and what I have experience with. You should always put DNS on domain controllers or you're just asking for problems and slowness, but definitely forward anything non DC-related to another DNS server if you want to use bind or something.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah this is a good way of doing it and what I have experience with. You should always put DNS on domain controllers or you're just asking for problems and slowness, but definitely forward anything non DC-related to another DNS server if you want to use bind or something.

Good, this is exactly what we'll need to do. We do a lot of split views in our existing convoluted setup and there's no way I'm going to willingly migrate all of that. I'm already having to maintain multiple zone files and syncing some up with Route 53, adding Windows into that would probably explode my head. I'll just plan on delegating the suddomain and call it good.

Docjowles posted:

Similar for DHCP; put the workstations off in their own VLAN that can't see your other DHCP server and manage that separately if you want. Although that sounds like a lot of work unless you already have a lot of tooling/automation and whatnot around your existing DHCP infrastructure that you don't want to throw away.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. We already have two dozen VLANs and appropriate firewall rules, and I'm trying to not make things more complex in that regard - especially if it'd mean having to route all of the traffic through the firewall for every single workstation to anything outside, which isn't currently the case. We also indeed have some reporting tools set up around DHCP leases... as long as I can make the event log talk to my syslog server (which looks feasible), I can adapt that reporting though.

I also keep forgetting that powershell is a thing, so I could hypothetically just automate the entire migration... hah. "Just."

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

McGlockenshire posted:

In addition to the other recommendations, Learn Active Directory Management in a Month of Lunches by Richard Siddaway just came out. I participated in the manuscript review process, so I haven't seen the final version yet, but the last version they sent out for review was nearly complete and I found it to be a pretty good resource. It's more focused on day-to-day tasks than the theoretical/architectural aspects of AD, so you'd want to find other resources for those, but it does a good job covering the basics/essentials.

Now, for a question of my own:

Am I remembering correctly that, at least on Server 2008 R2, running ADUC from %SystemRoot%\system32\dsa.msc or %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\dsa.msc should launch mmc.exe as a 64-bit process? And you have to specifically run it as dsa.msc -32 if you need to run ADUC inside a 32-bit mmc.exe for some reason?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm setting up a highly available RDS cluster with 2012 R2, I've got load balanced gateways and 2 connection brokers configured with HA

So I've got
2x Connection Brokers
2x RD Gateway
4x RD Session hosts

This is split between two different vmware clusters, each with half of the session hosts, 1 connection broker and one gateway.

I'm finding that even when I turn off the servers in one of the vmware clusters, the RD broker that remains still tries to connect me to the session hosts that are now unavailable
After what seems to be half an hour it starts directing my sessions to the correct 2 servers that are still up.

Are the timeouts configurable for session host availability? I can't seem to find any way to make it stop attempting connections to those 2 that are down within a reasonable timeframe.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

My boss wants me to update every user in Active Directory with their address and phone numbers (approx 300 users). We have all the address and phone number information in csv format. What is the best way to import this information into Active Directory?

I was thinking maybe dumping Active Directory to a csv with their ID (is it objectSid or sAMAccountName?), matching up the info in the csv and then importing it back via a powershell script?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 21, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

kiwid posted:

My boss wants me to update every user in Active Directory with their address and phone numbers (approx 300 users). We have all the address and phone number information in csv format. What is the best way to import this information into Active Directory?

I was thinking maybe dumping Active Directory to a csv with their ID (is it objectSid or sAMAccountName?), matching up the info in the csv and then importing it back via a powershell script?

Do you guys use Exchange? We talked about doing that but then privacy concerns came up such as everyone in the company now knowing where you live.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Do you guys use Exchange? We talked about doing that but then privacy concerns came up such as everyone in the company now knowing where you live.

We do, and actually this request was made by the CEO so that the Global Address List has this information available. And by addresses, I mean branch address, not personal addresses.

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that

theperminator posted:

I'm setting up a highly available RDS cluster with 2012 R2, I've got load balanced gateways and 2 connection brokers configured with HA

Are you using Network Load Balancing (NLB) for the HA? If it is similar to 2008 R2 you can run NLB in one of two modes, unicast or multicast. VMware suggests using mulitcast mode.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1556

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
for anyone who wants to learn more about Windows OS deployment, there's a good event on MSVA with an all-star cast of MVPs. It's about win8, but pretty much everything applies to win7. There's download links if you don't want to watch it in the browser.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/windows-8-1-deployment-jump-start#?fbid=Z5pgJaQqgwP

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

kiwid posted:

We do, and actually this request was made by the CEO so that the Global Address List has this information available. And by addresses, I mean branch address, not personal addresses.

If its only 300 peeps, learning scripting will help you accomplish this. But really you're at the 300 people size and you could use a tool like ADmodify.net (http://admodify.codeplex.com/) to mass update everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kiwid posted:

For one-off things, I usually just do it in excel rather than scripting. Have a list of user names in one column, the addresses in a second column, and make the third column something like

code:
="set-aduser "&A1&" -streetAddress """&B1&""""
Pull the formula down, and just paste the whole column into a powershell window.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 24, 2014