Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Mister Kingdom posted:

It looks like Mike and the boys are branching out. Total Riff Off coming to NatGeo on April 1st.

Wow. Koalas suck.

I wonder if this is going to be a regular thing with National Geographic. It seems natural for them to provide color commentary for something that people are used to having commentary over. However, it still feels like an odd choice despite the good prospects for Riffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Yeah, I wish I had the NatGeo channel to watch that, but Koalas have been forever ruined for me. I won't be able to look at their sleepy faces anymore and not remember that they are a ball of diarrhea and chlamydia.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Brutakas posted:

Wow. Koalas suck.

I wonder if this is going to be a regular thing with National Geographic. It seems natural for them to provide color commentary for something that people are used to having commentary over. However, it still feels like an odd choice despite the good prospects for Riffing.

Dunno they seem to done a few nature documentaries in the various shorts that appeared on MST3K and Rifftrax, plus Overdrawn at the Memory Bank did have the whole Daisy segment. It looks funny, even through I wonder if this is a one off thing, with it being April Fools Day.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It premiers April 1st, aka April Fool's Day. I think it's a one day thing. Pretty cool, but yeah, kolas are gross as hell now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The creepy, gross, and vaguely racist '60s nature documentaries are the best. What was the one where they were showing how they catch animals in Africa to bring back to a zoo in Chicago I think?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Luigi Thirty posted:

The creepy, gross, and vaguely racist '60s nature documentaries are the best. What was the one where they were showing how they catch animals in Africa to bring back to a zoo in Chicago I think?

Catching Trouble from MST3K. Insane and horrible.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
And of course, Buffalo Rider.

Oh god, Buffalo Rider...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And of course, Buffalo Rider.

Oh god, Buffalo Rider...

I think you mean BUFFALO RIDER!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I just got Treasures of the Amazon. How many loving characters do they introduce in the first 10 minutes? There are at least 4 or 5 separate parties of characters.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Check out CylinderBot's chill (or possibly dead) cork cousin from At Your Fingertips: Floats!

So yeah, I found a VHS with all the missing At Your Fingertips shorts. They cut out the shorts' credits and wrapped them with owl puppet host segments but it's legit.

http://www.videomarketplace.com/10-0165.html

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Rifftrax has a coupon you might have missed if Facebook went and hosed up your sort order so that you start seeing repeat posts before you see new ones: March Madness 15% off.

As a suggestion I bought Cyborg Cop 2 last Friday and laughed like crazy at the 1980s goodness, despite there not being any Cyborg Cops in it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CapnBry posted:

Rifftrax has a coupon you might have missed if Facebook went and hosed up your sort order so that you start seeing repeat posts before you see new ones: March Madness 15% off.

As a suggestion I bought Cyborg Cop 2 last Friday and laughed like crazy at the 1980s goodness, despite there not being any Cyborg Cops in it.

Yeah, but it makes up for the lack of Cyborg Cops with lots of fanny packs!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bought this with the March Madness coupon and watched it today. It seems they're going to use a different bumper at the end for the copyright. It's the logo with their three faces, and it's much shorter.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fresh off of their Facebook, they're going to riff something from their survey page:

quote:

One of the films on this list is being released on Friday! The person who 1st entered it, plus 2 random people who voted for it, will get it FREE! Check out our list of suggestions and submit your own:
http://feedback.rifftrax.com/forums/244244-rifftrax-movie-requests/filters/top
(Same link, just changed so it shows the top ranked results.) Top result is 1998's Godzilla by a pretty large lead.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Any of those top 5 would be great, and I'm not counting Harry Potter in there because they'd planned to riff that anyway.

Picked up Cyborg Cop 2, the Lepus, and about 30 shorts I didn't have using their discount code. Now I have so much Rifftrax to watch

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Awww. I was kicked from #2 spot. They already did a partial riff on the SMB movie :(

Edit: I might as well link it I guess

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 19, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well they did say "one of the films", not the top film. So it may not necessarily be Godzilla.

Also, what do you mean they partially riffed SMB: The Movie?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

IUG posted:

Well they did say "one of the films", not the top film. So it may not necessarily be Godzilla.

Also, what do you mean they partially riffed SMB: The Movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Btl6WCHrbs

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
the new VOD is indeed Super Mario Bros.
http://www.rifftrax.com/video/super-mario-bros

Rifftrax posted:

The world, characters, music, even the sound effects of the Mario video games are among the most iconic entertainment creations of the 20th century. So naturally if you made a Mario movie, you’d want to abandon everything that people liked and recognized about them, and then just in case people were still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, throw in The Happening star John Leguizamo.

Let’s say you went to the cinema hoping to see your favorite character from Mario 3, the red carnivorous fish Big Bertha. Ignoring the fact that you are a moron for your favorite character not being the King of Ice World when he’s been transformed into a seal, you might be disappointed to to learn that in the movie, Big Bertha is instead a large, violent woman with prodigious cleavage who wears S & M-esque garb. (Or maybe you’re into that. In that case, you’re probably not welcome in many of the theaters that were showing Super Mario Bros.)

So Big Bertha isn’t a fish, the goombas aren’t tiny, stompable, sentient mushrooms, and there’s nary a Tanooki suit to be found. No big deal, as long as the Mario Brothers are still brothers, right? What’s that? For no apparent reason Luigi is the adopted ward of Mario? Well, maybe it could still work as long as the movie isn’t an incoherent, hideous mess full of shouting and chaos and cheap sets and… Why are you shaking your head sadly?

Strap on your Kuribo’s shoes and join Mike, Kevin, and Bill up on Jugem’s Cloud for riffing on the best live action Mario property that doesn’t contain Captain Lou Albano.

despite being a child of the 80's, this will be my first time watching the Super Mario Bros. movie. I'm expecting the worst. Also expecting a great riff.

The Piper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 21, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh my god, this just made my weekend. I'm going to watch this Riff so many times, I really hope it's great. It has the potential to be one of the best Riffs, and maybe even get some people who haven't heard of Rifftrax to check them out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
drat.

That is an amazing get!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I can't wait to watch this, oh my god..

quote:

In 2008, when Dennis Hopper was asked which movie he regrets out of the 150 films he'd done, Super Mario Bros was his choice. Hopper said his son once asked why he did the movie, and Hopper said he needed shoes. Hopper's son said, "I don't need shoes that badly."

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
This is going to be the first Rifftrax I've bought in a while. This movie's been one of my guilty pleasures since the mid-90s, and I've been hoping that they would riff it since they first started the site. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Holy poo poo buying this, been waiting for a riff before I watch it anyway.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

techknight posted:

I can't wait to watch this, oh my god..

quote:

In 2008, when Dennis Hopper was asked which movie he regrets out of the 150 films he'd done, Super Mario Bros was his choice. Hopper said his son once asked why he did the movie, and Hopper said he needed shoes. Hopper's son said, "I don't need shoes that badly."

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I think I saw it in the theaters multiple times as a kid. I think its not a bad movie just because its so bizarre, like no one who made it ever saw the game.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I think I saw it in the theaters multiple times as a kid. I think its not a bad movie just because its so bizarre, like no one who made it ever saw the game.

Super Mario Bros. as told by William Gibson

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Just to put this into perspective, Hopper was also in The Last Movie, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The Crow: Wicked Prayer with post-Angel-pre-Bones David Boreanaz and Tara Reid, and Space Truckers.

He regretted Mario Brothers more than Space Truckers or the fifth Crow movie.

Think about that for a minute.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just to put this into perspective, Hopper was also in The Last Movie, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The Crow: Wicked Prayer with post-Angel-pre-Bones David Boreanaz and Tara Reid, and Space Truckers.

He regretted Mario Brothers more than Space Truckers or the fifth Crow movie.

Think about that for a minute.

He probably gets more poo poo from people for Mario than all those other movies combined.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wait the big black woman in the clip I posted was supposed to be a fish? She's supposed to be big bertha? Mario is burying his face in the cleavage of a fish?

I mean I guess the stupid red rubber spike dress makes more sense now but, I don't get this...

Wait Big bertha didn't have spikes in the game so I'm confused again

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 21, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the How Did This Get Made episode of SMB might be a good supplement to the Rifftrax

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/super-mario-bros-live/

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Edit: gently caress

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

Wait Big bertha didn't have spikes in the game so I'm confused again

I haven't seen this movie for like 2 decades now, but just going by the name alone, wouldn't "Big Bertha" be one of the cannons/bullets?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bertha_%28howitzer%29

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

IUG posted:

I haven't seen this movie for like 2 decades now, but just going by the name alone, wouldn't "Big Bertha" be one of the cannons/bullets?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bertha_%28howitzer%29

Nope. It's the giant fish from Super Mario Bros 3 that chases you through the whole level, similar to the Angry Sun.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Bertha

But I never put two and two together about the black lady. Was she really called Bertha in the movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A couple of years ago there was an article in Game Informer that talked about the making of the SMB movie and apparently the whole situation was hosed on multiple levels. Stuff like nobody on the production end knowing or caring about anything Mario Bros as well as Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo spending the entire time drunk.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
^^If you were on that set, wouldn't you??

GreenNight posted:

He probably gets more poo poo from people for Mario than all those other movies combined.

Actually, he's suffering from Alzheimers now, so he's probably already forgotten he made it.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

^^If you were on that set, wouldn't you??

Actually, he's suffering from Alzheimers now, so he's probably already forgotten he made it.

Bob Hoskins has Parkinson's, not Alzheimer's. Still sucks rear end; he deserves a better end to his career than the one he got.

And yeah, apparently a lot of people developed drinking problems making Super Mario Brothers. And who could blame them?

HypnoCabbage fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 22, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

HypnoCabbage posted:

Bob Hoskins has Parkinson's, not Alzheimer's. Still sucks rear end; he deserves a better end to his career than the one he got.

And yeah, apparently a lot of people developed drinking problems making Super Mario Brothers. And who could blame them?

Huh. Wonder why I thought it was Parkinson's. Brain fart, I suppose.

At any rate, it's interesting what jokes were kept from the IGN clips and which ones weren't. The Devolution Chamber survived pretty much intact.

Also, is SMB the highest-budgeted film they've gotten VOD rights to?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh my god, SMB is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I couldn't even remember how bad that movie was. The Riff picks it apart too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I'm only about a third of the way through the film and I'd say this is one of their best yet.

• Locked thread